I think what angers me the most about Skyrim, is just how high its potential to be a REALLY REALLY good RPG was...

I think what angers me the most about Skyrim, is just how high its potential to be a REALLY REALLY good RPG was, and how wasted the whole thing is. Imagine if:
>main quest didn't rush you all the way through and actually featured some meaningful choices or room for nuance, maybe even requiring you to infiltrate one of the other guilds for information
>attributes were back and mattered; a lot
>athletics/acrobatics was still a thing and had its own perks
>npcs were more interesting from the get go
>quest design was more branching and featured more options to roleplay as a less-than-good character
>there were more eerie locations like the sleeping tree that had weird and engaging quests attached to them
>the civil war was fully realized and was made into a more complex system that actually made a long-lasting impact on the game after it was over depending on which side you went with, maybe even locking out quests
>factions were at odds with one another and belonging to one meant others would regard you with distrust, maybe not even letting you join
>faction rank increase included a hard skill check
>being the leader of a faction provided much more significant benefits; like being able to have extra companions that you can't turn into mules as bodyguards for being the leader of the companions, or being able to assassinate someone at will by sending someone after them if you were the leader of the dark brotherhood etc.
>the atrocious voice acting was removed altogether
>cities were actually just a little bit bigger (I don't expect novigrad, just something more fluffed out)
>it featured a hardcore mode out of the box with cold management and food/water management
Just imagine

Attached: ss_5d19c69d33abca6f6271d75f371d4241c0d6b2d1.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 1.2M)

I stopped laying this game after 5 hours or so when I realized Ive already seen everything and there was nothing but more of the same ahead of me.
Every NPC is the same every house is the same every weapon is the same
I dont even actively hate it I just dropped it and never picked it back again at least I didnt pay for it

Why should being a part of a guild prevent you from joining another guild? I'm being completely serious when I ask this. Dark brotherhood and the thieve's guild are largely anonymous to outside members. Outside of calling you a pussy for being a mage the companions don't care as long as you win your fights. The collage only asks that you try advancing magic so they won't care if you're a companion and won't know you're a thief/assassin.

You guys truly have the dumbest ideas.

shut up todd

Most of what you suggested is honestly kinda dumb, or just bad game design.

>athletics/acrobatics was still a thing and had its own perks
The only reason why people want these back is so that they can speedrun the game and jump over anything, which defeats the purpose of playing the game.

>factions were at odds with one another and belonging to one meant others would regard you with distrust, maybe not even letting you join
Why would the factions have any reason to be at odds with each other in the first place? This just seems like trying to force a reason to have the game make you unable to join all the factions because you lack the self restraint to do so yourself.

>faction rank increase included a hard skill check
This would be retarded because, even in lore, some of the best thieves/assassins/fighters were just people who got lucky magical items that boosted their powers to inhuman levels. Hard skill checks create a situation where only raw skill matters, and that isn't how anything works.

>>being the leader of a faction provided much more significant benefits; like being able to have extra companions that you can't turn into mules as bodyguards for being the leader of the companions, or being able to assassinate someone at will by sending someone after them if you were the leader of the dark brotherhood etc.
So you want more companions, but that have less use to them? And being able to send people out to assassinate other NPC just takes away the point of playing the game. Also, its not the Listener who decides who dies, its the Night Mother.

Yes, lets make the game less immersive.

>quest design was more branching and featured more options to roleplay as a less-than-good character
You can already help out all of the evil deadra, kill half the people in towns, and join up with both an Assassin's guild and a thieves guild. Its kinda hard to go more evil then full edge lord.

Game was too big. Every large open world game has been pretty shit; too many resources wasted on building the world and no time to fill it with anything. Every fallout/elder scrolls release has less of everything in it except square footage

>be winterhold super giga mage
>join empire
>LiGhT, HeAvY, oR mEdiUM aRMor?!?
Bitch I'm the fucking giga chads of mages, acknowledge it at least

Mages wear armor in TES, hence battlemages.

My point is that no matter what you have achieved the game won't ever acknowledge it.
>archmage, thane of three cities, dragonbirn and stormcloak general? Lmao why don't you join the thief guild? You look like you need some money!
>both factions in the civil war will only hire you as a generic goon
>thanehood or faction leadership won't give you any benefit or even be mentioned past guard dialogue

It would have been better had it been more RPG instead of just an action game with RPG elements. There should have been more emphasis on the skill of the character and not the skill of the player.

Also as OP mentioned, more eerie locations and quests. I will say I liked how Daedra quests seemed a bit unexpected at times instead of just visiting a shrine all the time.

>the skill of the player
Spamming left click counts as skill now?

>thanehood or faction leadership won't give you any benefit or even be mentioned past guard dialogue
Well
A. How is anyone going to know you are the leader of the DB or Thieves Guild in the first place?
B. Most everyone in Skyrim gives zero fucks about the College to begin with.
C. The only valid one here is the Companions.

>both factions in the civil war will only hire you as a generic goon
Again, why would they not? They don't know about your TG or DB connections. The Imperials have their own mage and fighter group they consider better, and the Nords hate mages. Much like the above, the only side that has a reason to care is the Stormcloaks, and even then, only if your are in the Companions.

>Lmao why don't you join the thief guild? You look like you need some money!
Technically, he doesn't say you need money, he says you haven't earned that money via normal work, which hes right, you are just a mercenary, not a farmer,or blacksmith, or w/e.

Fuck off, it just works, also, please buy fallout 76, im getting desperate.

Attached: 1536669626976.jpg (397x409, 52K)

>I think what angers me the most about Skyrim

The combat.
That's all they needed to do, make a good combat system and the mods would have made this game the immaculate.

me with classic WoW lel

it's a low bar these days.

that's the real irony. they made an action game with RPG elements, but the action part sucks

>>main quest didn't rush you all the way through and actually featured some meaningful choices or room for nuance
I think out of all the complains, this one is the dumbest, TES isn't exactly known for player choice in the story, hell the only game in the series with multiple endings was Daggerfall, and it was invalidated by the Dragon Break

>every dungeon is shit, the loot is mostly pointless
>most quests are shit and have garbage rewards
>writing is shit
>leveling up just gives you bigger numbers instead of meaningful changes
shit game

>TES isn't exactly known for player choice in the story,

I hate player choice because it doesn't mean anything.
>oh man I would love if the game had a million branching paths
>oh but I'll only play the game once... or like for 20 hours max
>And I'll complain if I miss any good content because I made the wrong choices
>So I'll just look up a guide that shoes me what choices to make
>"lol wolf among us choices don't even matter"

The actual quote is
>you've never done an honest day's work in your life for all that coin you're carrying
So yeah, he's basically implying you're a thief

Let fromsoftware or someone really good REMAKE it
like as in changing a bunch of stuff and adding more and it would be a GOAT
it has really good bones but bethesda stopped caring around halfway through dev

>it has really good bones
I'd suggest the bones are the problem and what keeps modders from actually fixing the shit fucking combat

Because a choice with no consequence isn't really a choice at all, and an RPG where almost all of the content can be cleared through one playthrough isn't really an RPG. Of course, this would also involve tweaking the lore surrounding the guilds because as we know, it's almost impossible to get two groups of people agreeing on everything.

>The only reason why people want these back is so that they can speedrun the game and jump over anything, which defeats the purpose of playing the game.
Yes, why would anyone want an extra layer of customization to their character in an RPG. Morrowind is considered one of the greatest RPGs of all time, yet it's mechanically and technologically inferior to Skyrim in almost every regard, but you know what it did right? It had you going from a snail-pace clueless squishy thing that misses 9/10 hits to a literal god that can clear a mile in a single leap, FUCKING FLY, and do all kinds of crazy cool shit. An RPG where every character ends up being the same with the same abilities and no flaws isn't a good RPG; a character that is perfect isn't a relatable or even enjoyable character to play.

>Why would the factions have any reason to be at odds with each other in the first place?
For the same reasons every group of men finds to hate another group of men. The point here isn't to have superficial disputes, it's to create a genuine choice for the player.
>This would be retarded because,
What's even more retarded is being able to become the Archmage of Skyrim while being outclassed magically by every Joe in the fucking region.

>So you want more companions,
I was evidently throwing out suggestions. And this is something that even Morrowind is guilty of: being at the head of a faction doesn't really feel all that special, and that should change somehow.

>Yes, lets make the game less immersive.
I don't know about you, but I actively LOSE immersion when I hear the same voice from the 12th NPC I talked to in the last hour

>You can already help out all of the evil deadra
Superficial "bad guy" choices for the sake of having "evil" options are a terrible idea, as demonstrated by FO3. The idea is to give a different experience altogether, although one that is just as polished and complete. Killing half the NPCs in town accomplishes nothing

This is another argument in favor of removing voice acting. Evidently, Betheshit likes to cheap out on the VA; so there's no fucking way they're dishing out extra money to pay for extra lines. However, something as small as an NPC giving you special privilege during a quest or something, or a change in how you're treated by commonfolk due to your reputation goes a LONG way towards cementing immersion and is better than the participation trophy cutscene we get for finishing a guild questline right now.

I'm not asking for a branching storyline path, I'm asking for a certain point where the story branches out and you have multiple avenues to continue, kind of like Morrowind when you're told to become Hortator for all three families and Nerevarine for all four tribes. Arguably, that quest design was very barebones as it was essentially a set of quests you had to accomplish with very little agency, save for some fuckery with the Great Houses, but again, you'd think technology would be used here where it actually matters.