Rival Schools

youtube.com/watch?v=-ipBlJWKpOk

This is the first 3D fighting game to get it right. other 3D fighters felt like they were underwater and fighting in slo mo. Rival Schools was fast paced as hell and exciting.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qeH0T7E3LaY
youtube.com/watch?v=U6SBERAG_xI&t=777s
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_5nKDm7QbEE
youtube.com/results?search_query=pgxp
youtube.com/watch?v=5oBeO-cui_c
youtube.com/watch?v=_0L-qqLpZJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=QIC43dk00pA
youtube.com/watch?v=exKK79_U4Zc&t=2s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's slow by today's standards and not even 3d.

>the nurse massage minigame

I have this game but I've yet to play it.

>and not even 3d.

+Do you see those fucking 3D polygons? Get your head out of your ass brah.

This. GG is also 3D because it uses 3D models

>What is Virtua Fighter

Fucking excellent taste. New RS when?

project justice is legit

He's referring to the way the characters move around each other, except Rival Schools did have a sidestepping orientation that most 3d fighters still use today, you can actually even see in the OP video that Roberto's sliding kick will avoid attacks on the current orientation as he weaves to the side before sliding in.

Daigo should have been in every other fighting game and busting heads alongside Sagat and Sentinel as the Alpha chads of Fighting games

Tell me OP, where is Rival Schools now exactly?

Never hopefully. Capcom has made 3x shitty fighting games in a row.

Felt like Tekken and Virtua Fighter were a tad bit too slow and under-water feeling.

>Capcom has made 3x shitty fighting games in a row.

They were all made in Unreal Engine, a new engine they're not familliar with. they have the RE7 Engine on hand now, which is their go to engine right now.

Fuck OP, I thought there was an announcement for it or something

Imagine thinking a new engine is going to make everything better when they're outsourcing their fighting games.

The roster sucked aside from pic related. I hope she can make it into SFV someday.

Attached: AKIRA.png (638x825, 481K)

It'll help a lot. Their Unreal engine games are pretty ugly due to them having no clue how to use the lighting systems. There was also input delay which hurt immensely.

Here the actual first fast 3D fighting game for those of us that were alive back then

Attached: 165867.jpg (600x776, 89K)

The prettiest fighting games are in unreal my man.

>>Her brother is badass
>>Shoma beats niggahs with a Bat
>>Zaki is pure sex

Dont speak such blasphemy again

I don't know their names nor do I care, I'm just speaking from aesthetics and a design perspective, they look like shounen anime garbage.

Saw the cover and never actually played them. Were they any good?

My first 3D fighting game was Virtua Fighter in the arcade. Blew me away on a conceptual level. Then I got a Saturn and played VF2. Later PS and Tekken 3.

Not him, but they're all shit. A stupid biker thot with a skull helmet? Give me a break.

>The prettiest fighting games are in unreal my man.

Provided you know how to use them and you heavily re-write the engines. Capcom seems to be showing unfamilliarity with the engine, resulting in poor lighting and ugly games. SFIV had very flat lighting, which is fine, but SFV has this more realistic lighting which is over done, too bright, and looks awful.

They were good kusoge, yes. Just like rival school and the first two Tekken games and vf1/2

>kusoge

That label is meant for legendary shit games. Real bottom the barrel types. Now it's used for any janky or odd game. Not the right term.

Arcsys didn't heavily rewrite the engines, I don't know what you're talking about.

Original Tekken was but you must have just been shit at VF

>Just like rival school and the first two Tekken games and vf1/2

That's some legendary bait!

It would have been more popular if it was 2D

Attached: rival_schools_roster_by_chamat-d6w27hm.png (805x463, 198K)

Shut up weeb need

Died when a pretty cool VA did.
I still play this with a friend from time to time, but I never really touched project justice.
I'm surprised that Batsu and Kyosuke got into crossover shit

youtube.com/watch?v=qeH0T7E3LaY

God so many hentai friendly lolis

Is this where we pretend that old clunky broken kusoge was good?

I had so much fun with this game back in the day, holy shit. It really felt good to play.

Remember when Edge showed up in an eroge?

Attached: DEDDO NAIFU EJJI.png (1815x1019, 2.52M)

I never really understood people's fascination with this character. Like, what about her makes her stand out from the others?

To me she's one of the most "normal" looking ones and I just like the biker stereotype, especially for high school stuff, pic semi-related.

Attached: 1446093564866.jpg (640x1161, 231K)

>Doesn't like hot tomboys who kick ass

One, she's a universal character design unlike the schoolgirls and schoolboys in the game.
And there's also the mix of traits. It's a tough gangsta looking Japanese biker who fights using some classic Chinese kungfu with cool poses and shit, and not only that but she's also a cute girl.

She's just got a fun gimmick.

>biker gear, prototypical masked badass character
>turns out to be a grill, which while not that shocking a twist is fun because her outfit was also a personality switch - she's less "silent stoic lone wolf" and more "withdrawn demure flower" when you swap her costume

Also her move set is fairly unique.

Rival Schools/Project Justice has a such an interesting take on team-based fighting games, before you even get to the Capcom-style 3D Fighter aspect. It plays out 1v1 with specific strikers and team moves; the one that really gets me is when one character enacts a certain super, control shifts to two different characters on each team which represents the defender's teammate trying to run in to stop the attack while the attacker's teammate is trying to stop them. Never seen anything like that in another fighter.

Rival Schools is Itsuno's baby. If we get a third, he'll be directing it, and he's one of the best at Capcom right now.

The roster is fantastic and Akira is actually one of the more boring characters moveset-wise. The cool helmet and "girl disguised as a boy" thing are the only reasons people care about her. Not even the best girl I can think of that wears a motorcycle helmet often.

Attached: 1461606104844.png (718x1072, 1.03M)

>a universal character design

how do you mean?

based and batsu pilled

Charcter could be from anywhere. Los Angelelas, Bangkock, Moscow, etc. Not set to a specific time or place.

idk, generic gym teacher or volleyball team member is really boring to me.

The characters stand out from characters in other fighting games by taking common clubs/professions/cliques you'd find in a high school and building a moveset around them. There's some more creative ones sprinkled in there, and Akira is among them visually, but she's not that interesting to play as relative to most of the roster.

>generic volleyball team member
Now you've gone too far

Attached: Natsu_Ayuhara.png (600x800, 567K)

>Capcom's PS1 era 3D fighting game efforts still had more love and care put into them than later efforts besides graphics to some degree
>now Capcom just completely regressed to 2.5D for their fighters with 3D graphics because they want to capture nostalgia appeal instead of actually pushing their boundaries or taking risks

Attached: blue or purple.png (400x400, 10K)

Is that a man?

Every single one of Capcom's 3D fighter IPs (aka all of them except Street Fighter EX) were directed by Itsuno. He did Rival Schools, Project Justice, both Power Stones, and Star Gladiator was his first directorial credit.

>>now Capcom just completely regressed to 2.5D for their fighters with 3D graphics because they want to capture nostalgia appeal instead of actually pushing their boundaries or taking risks

They genuinely don't know what to do. And I sorta can't blame them. I think as a genre Fighting Games are too narrow and effectively fighting games as good as they'll ever be have already been made. Major changes to controls and view style are needed for truly revolutionary fighting games.

That's interesting info, but I specifically used Capcom rather than blaming the devs for it at least.

they understand that 2D fighters are superior.

What the other user said. Her character is not tied to the high school theme. She's a character that would perfectly fit in Street Fighter... or Fallout for that matter and it would still be brilliant in any of them. For example, I may like Kyoko, but at the end of the day she's a nurse/teacher and I wouldn't want her in other games. Akira is legit badass and she has no sports or student gimmicks, just a surprising and bizarre combination of elements that somehow work together, as a punk biker reserved cute kungfu girl.

youtube.com/watch?v=U6SBERAG_xI&t=777s

The guy fufills requests for what games to test. Just leave a comment.

Are you retarded? MvCI and SFV are way different from their predecessors. If anything, They should've taken the Tekken route and just released a new game with better models + one new mechanic.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_5nKDm7QbEE

I see what you mean, but her being a biker is very much inspired by Japanese delinquent culture. It's makes even more sense in the context that the school she was sneaking into is the stereotypical delinquent school of delinquents.

Attached: tumblr_matd59y07M1rgdak7o1_640.jpg (552x800, 94K)

>damage numbers in a fighting game
I actually like this.

Rival schools isn't 3d zoomer. If rival schools is 3d then so is battle fantasia.
The game is 3d in visual not in play. I love when Yea Forums the same people who lost to cosmo, dsp AND ltg try to talk about fighting games. Only the uniel chads matter here.

DEADLY RAISE

Its as 3-D as Tekken

it has a side step you smart ass.
>Yea Forums talking about fighting games LMAO

Side step try hard.

ahem we don't call it sidestepping zoomer. we call it ditching. and it wasn't really that good unless you wanted to eat a throw.

>Looks at game and sees a super meter
>Assumes the game is 2D because of this
>Tries to pull a reference to Battle Fantasia out of his ass to sound more like an expert

Attached: 1531635020964.jpg (362x259, 24K)

Why would you do that? Too brainlet to do it yourself?

I am too lazy to record gameplay and upload it.

Who the hell says "3D fighters" not in reference to it's gameplay?

No why would you ask someone to do those tests in the first place? Those videos are superflous.

>it has a side step you smart ass.
It's more like a dodge move like in the old Fatal Fury games, it doesn't have 3D movement like Virtua Fighter

PGXP is cool, and PS has a lot of need niche PS1 3D games. Most gameplay vids on youtube don't have PGXP enabled. PGXP really helps make the games look much better. I want people to see how pretty PS1 games actually are, rather than seeing them at their worst in most vids (low resolution, blurry, bad emulation, etc).

PGXP is texture correction and anti-wobble, and results in mostly straight lines in PS1 emulation. The older emulators produced wobble lines and distorted models since the PS1 didn't do 3D properly but rather took shortcuts. These shortcuts get more glaring and obvious when you move to HD.

youtube.com/results?search_query=pgxp

pgxp vids on youtube are typically the same like 5 games over and over again. There are very few games actually shown off. Which is a shame since many PS1 3D games are gorgeous.

VF is one of the fastest fighters out there.

You change planes in a 3D space. It's 3D.

I know about PGXP. Requesting someone to make these short demonstration videos still seems like waste of time. Just play the games yourself. There are no incompatibility issue with this feature that need testing.

Then play them? There's videos of every fucking Playstation 1 game ever made on Youtube at this point. Even the most obscure ones. The fuck do you care if that videos uses PGXP or not?

PGXP makes the games look much better and is a huge gamechanger but there's few PGXP vids. It improves stages and models since there's no warping. So there might be a closeup in a cutscene of a character, but she looks wonky. Now she looks good.

Of course I play the games I want to, but this is mostly for other people. Additionally, some of these games are neat but I don't think I'll play many of them.

youtube.com/watch?v=5oBeO-cui_c
youtube.com/watch?v=_0L-qqLpZJ4

Probably the best demo:
youtube.com/watch?v=QIC43dk00pA

What part of "I know about PGXP" didn't you understand exactly? That stuff has been available for years. Maybe you should marry PGXP.

I miss this series so much
Revival fucking when, Capcom

Attached: 6728060.jpg (500x401, 155K)

I don't think you understnad how good it makes games. Almost Dreamcast/PS2 tier.

youtube.com/watch?v=exKK79_U4Zc&t=2s

>"I want EVERYONE to know I am in love with my emulator. That's why I have to make these videos. So people can know. He is just the best."
get a life, have sex

>get a life, have sex

Says the incel on Yea Forums on Labor day. LOL.

That's a US and Canadian (and some other shitholes) only thing, brainlet. Don't try to divert from the fact that you're obsessed with an emu feature that you learned about ~10 days ago that is in reality old news to everyone else.

It's not what anyone thinks of whenever some says 3D fighters though. Yea Forums certainly doesn't decide the definitions for shit like this.

Cop'd this day one back in the day

Attached: PJ_Europe.png (915x900, 1.38M)

Capcom's weird little games like this are all better than the streetfighter series.

>Capcom's weird little games like this are all better than the streetfighter series.

name 1.