Why does Sonic still only have one playable character in Smash?

Why does Sonic still only have one playable character in Smash?

Attached: ShadowSonic.jpg (1280x720, 262K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1132059098067824640
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because they’re saving the best for last, baby!!!!

Attached: 43D1FD0B-DD4E-42ED-9E65-904A39C0D393.png (446x457, 37K)

Because Sakurai hates us

Also, I'd prefer Metal Sonic because he is the OG rival. He is the first real threat other than Eggman that Sonic has ever faced

why does he have one at all

Sega blantly got cold feet. Shadow was so obvious an echo everyone took him as a given yet they showed off his assist status in the last direct and he has a new model unlike in 4.

Why does Sonic still have 2 spindashes?

>Street Fighter and Castlevania received echoes before Sonic

I don't know. It doesn't sound like any injustice has been done. Sonic is probably more popular since little kids always eat him up. It still doesn't sound unfair though.

Because Sonic is the name of only one character

This
Plus his design is objectively superior to Donut the Steelzhog.

that's a good choice actually

Why does sonic not have sonic eagle as a forward air meteor smash

>Sonic is probably more popular since little kids always eat him up
He's actually the highest selling 3rd party franchise in Smash.

This. They need to figure out what to do with his Side B.

I’d be interested in them finding a way to incorporate the Fire/Elec/Bubble shields. Maybe Side B only works on ground and spawns an item box with one of the shields inside for him?

Attached: 47485A63-0B60-4223-8ECA-D8EB00C9625E.jpg (900x557, 146K)

Lack of movesets for characters, 99% of his cast his hated or clones of Sonic, more important characters out there since no one really cares about Shadow outside of memes.

>Side B will just be his boost

I was really hoping that Shadow would make it in. I really wanted another villain and if what you said is true that's a little disappointing.

I wouldn't mind if his side B stayed some version of the spindash while his down B was changed to the drop spindash.

Sakurai's beautiful vengeance for SEGA fucking with him during Brawl development

Attached: 1566318147159.jpg (175x170, 18K)

All of the potential Sonic reps are legitimately good choices desu, even the ones that would be clones or echos.

But like... it should be?

Eggman>>Classic Sonic with a drop dash>>>Metal Sonic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x100 Shadow

Eggman's popularity is severely exaggerated here

Rework it like this
Neutral B-what his down b currently is allowing him to charge be spamming similar to how classic Sonic does in generations
Side B- homing attack since in the 3D games you use the control stick to choose enemies, have it be a two part attack like Corrina where he does a small jump and a reticle will show up, pressing the button again in the direction will let you attack or choosing the opposite attack let's you back out
Down B- bounce move, doesn't spike like his dair instead it'll burry opponents and can bounce off of them like links fair, using the down b on the ground works is the spindash from his current side b.

can't stop the egg, now

Attached: 1450053411994.png (1024x1005, 268K)

How do you improve on perfection?

Attached: robotnik.jpg (620x465, 131K)

>Sega doesn't allow any remixes, only preexisting songs
As a sonicfag, I am extremely disappointed in Sega. It's nothing new, but still bullshit.

I’m mostly sad that Right There, Right On didn’t return

Ahem

Attached: 62604FFC-FB53-4070-9627-5C706BD5FD5E.jpg (1200x930, 304K)

>no rouge
I would buy smash just for her.

Sakurai is a lazy asshole.

I'm honestly willing to agree with most of this thread and say that it was more likely to be SEGA's doing, not Sakurai's.

Shadow is without a doubt a character that could have had the biggest "Low Effort: High Returns" hype ratio, so I can't imagine Sakurai going out of his way to not include that. It definitely seems like SEGA's just picky with how they allow other companies to use Sonic's extended cast (like Sonic only having one playable character in LEGO Dimensions as well)

Attached: LEGOSonicGuns.gif (446x238, 2M)

That would be the absolute best choice (next to eggman.) so it won't happen.

The Knuckles Mii costume should clue you in to how much Sakurai is trolling the fanbase.

Attached: never ask for anything ever again.png (549x401, 300K)

Name one Sonic game WITHOUT Eggman

Attached: eggman.png (680x680, 126K)

I never saw metal sonic as a rival, he was always just another mindless robot you beat before going on to beat eggman. I guess it's because the genesis games aren't very expressive.

Sonic and the Black Knight

Why isn't Eggman more popular bros? Both in general and as a potential Smash fighter.
He's easily the best character in the entire franchise, he has a lot of range and can be anywhere on the spectrum from wacky saturday morning cartoon villain to legitimate global-scale threat, and even both at the same time. He's just the right mix of genius and buffoon.
Smash-wise as the main antagonist he's the most logical second choice for a character, with only Tails being in the same ballpark with his sidekick status. He has a ton of moveset potential between all of the different mechs he's had over the course of the series, so he'd be much more unique than Knuckles or Shadow.

Fpbp

Attached: 1555465669650.jpg (473x512, 29K)

Really want eggman and doomguy. Shame that either characters won't get in due to that whole SNK thing going in.

>Why isn't Eggman more popular bros?
To the general public that looks at the Sonic series from afar, there really isn't much that separates Eggman from any other mustachioed mad-scientist archetype that wants to conquer the world. He's just a guy that's there to build robots for the good guys to destroy.

Lets assume Sega gets another spot in Smash
Will you use it in a sonic character, or for another Sega franchise?

True. I read the Archie comics and saw the Sonic animated movie growing up so he felt like an actual antagonist alongside Eggman

>Eggman's ultimate
>becomes captain vidya
YES

Attached: 412523432.jpg (259x194, 12K)

>Smash-wise as the main antagonist he's the most logical second choice for a character
I think there's two large lizards that serve as proof that Sakurai doesn't really prioritize that in any way. Those two got in 100% being carried by fan support and there's no way Eggman would beat out the other Sonic characters in that regard.

Since Bowser Jr is already in, and idk how big he’d be in his floating pod, I kind of want Eggman to just be himself, but utilize a moveset comprised of summoning the various botniks

>knuckles taking off his glove to use his hand
The scene alone is hilarious, but goddamn. Is Lego Dimensions something worth actually buying or should I just pirate it?

>Google it
>It's actually real unless you count this
That's actually really fucking weird, since Eggman is in Secret Rings and pretty much every other obscure spinoff including shit like Schoolhouse and that one weird Sonic Tetris ripoff. Even Jet shows up in that game for some reason.

How does that even happen?

Attached: egg.png (64x64, 4K)

Dude, Kyoutou Kotoba RPG Kotodaman has Eggman, Shadow, and Sonic as playables.

a) SEGA of Japan and Iizuka are autistically stringent about Sonic's depiction

b) There's no pleasing the fanbase

>How does that even happen?
Sonic Team having no idea what to do with the franchise

first party

>Sega game using all their shit

That game is published by SEGA

>we could have at least had Sonic colorations for Tails, Knuckles, Amy and others but SEGA insisted on 6 blue colors
At least we have colors close to Silver and Shadow. Could be worse - look at Pac Man

Third post turd post.

Given Banjo, you'd think they'd try to go full circle with the meta elements of Smash.

Attached: sonictailshoax.jpg (589x175, 42K)

Tails, Knuckles and Eggman deserve it more

I've always envisioned him in a walker similar to SA2, so he'd be a heavy/borderline heavy which would be quite distinct from Bowser Jr. Up B could transform into the classic Eggmobile.
The badniks should definitely be part of the moveset though, Neutral B could cycle through a few iconic ones like Motobug and a couple others.

Well I mean, that's how the game itself happened, but it's really weird to me for some reason that Eggman is in literally every Sonic game from mainline to the most obscure shit nobody's even heard of, and this is the pretty much the only one he's exempt from unless you count the Tails games.

Do I have autism?

>3 smash games
>Sonic's moveset is still boring

Attached: 1547435232984.png (640x480, 596K)

>Could be worse - look at Pac Man
What the fuck happened there. I get wanting to keep him Yellow no matter what, but why can't he have different colored gloves and shoes? The bracelets look awful.

>Why isn't Eggman more popular bros?
He's a wacky villain instead of a furfag shonen Super Saiyan ripoff. Hot Topic shoppers don't like that kind of stuff.

It's because you're a zoomer tbqh.

Attached: hqdefault (10).jpg (480x360, 31K)

Yeah. Those details barely differentiate him. It’s also BS considering Pac himself has been other colors (red, blue, and Green in the 4-player arcade game)

It’s honestly even worse for Pichu

I don't think this was Namco's doing, this was likely Sakurai thinking people won't notice him if he's not yellow just like Link in Smash Four had to keep his hat on. He thought Pac-Man couldn't work because he was always in the in-game sprite, almost like he never knew about his actual artwork or any of the Pac-Man World games.

Please, those same faggots gush over that awful edgelord Archie rendition of him being this sadistic scientist so that's definitely not the issue.

not canon

This would be fucking amazing, give him his little ship to fly around with anywhere.

They're not called "Sonic and his SHITTY friends" for nothing, OP.

Just make his side B the same as Fox's side B. It's literally the light speed dash Sonic has had in his games so many times.

You could also make it a faster version of Pac-Man's side B, where you quickly draw a path of rings and then Sonic zips through the path.

It's really not complicated to fix Sonic.

Attached: 1502548792140.png (1144x819, 1M)

Best Sonic Echo: Jet
Best New Challenger: Battle!Tails, Emerl or Infinite

Fight me.

>Please, those same faggots gush over that awful edgelord Archie rendition of him being this sadistic scientist so that's definitely not the issue.
I mean sure, but that's not enough to make him more popular than Furry Saiyans. Notice how most Sonic OCs are Hedgehogs instead of any actually creative animals. Autists are convinced they're the Saiyan Race of Sonic.

>Infinite
What's his Smash going to be? Cry that Shadow is better than him in every aspect?

the different characters are not unique or popular enough. the only character who had a chance was shadow as sonic's echo but he's been an AT since sonic joined the series and maybe sega and sakurai just feel he belongs there

>Infinite
He can't even make it as a playable character in Sonic's own spinoffs

Sonic in Smash just feels bland. They definitely need to pull a couple more references from other titles.

Because SEGA realizes that putting all their eggs into the Sonic basket is a shitty idea after doing so for almost two decades and they're desperately trying to make their other IP's more recognizable, to mixed results. If we get another Sonic character, you might see it in one of the next five, if Nintendo doesn't just drop content support immediately and wants to keep Ultimate alive.

>SEGA fucking with him during Brawl development

what now?

>if Nintendo doesn't just drop content support immediately and wants to keep Ultimate alive.
It’s Nintendo. It’s Sakurai. As smart as adding 5 more characters would be, or even a pack of 5 new echoes, or new character costumes/colors, we both know it isn’t happening

Attached: 27B92867-F33B-42C7-A0C0-EF374E31A8CB.gif (367x274, 2.65M)

They should do a Sonic DLC pack that has Eggman as a unique fighter, a Shadow echo, a Space Colony Ark stage and a generous assortment of tracks including E.G.G.M.A.N, the Robeatnix version and an original remix

Attached: seething rage.gif (245x184, 703K)

Sonic being included so last minute is from SEGA's fussiness and is what led to Brawl being delayed at least once

Wasn't there a datamine that revealed 16 spots for the story mode and the first ones are taken by Plant and Joker?
I mean it could just be a mere placeholder but the possibility is there.

i hope to god there's going to be a mean bean machine medley

Sonic is why Brawl was delayed but not because of Segas fussiness I thought. They just approached Sakurai late in development and they had to delay that game in order to add him

A good portion of sonic characters are just "Sonic but he can fly" the only ones I could MAYBE thing about being different enough would be Big, Vector, Blaze, and Maybe Eggsman

>the only ones I could MAYBE thing about being different enough
The whole point of introducing Echo Fighter was so that characters don't even need to be "different enough"

Sega doesn't want anyone from Sonic's franchise to "out-cool" him by being in Smash.

Then add a 3rd large lizard as the Sonic rep

Attached: perfect_chaos.png (2000x1302, 2.27M)

Exactly. Give Shadow a unique run and taunts, swap his up b for Mewtwo's teleport and his down b for witch time, and change a couple of his aerials perhaps, and you've got a low effort but still very distinct character.

I don't think you can get around feeling "bland" without losing accuracy.

Down b is spot on to the 2d games.
Netural B might work better as side B but should be in there somewhere as defined 3d.
I'd drop the current side b for a random power-up select ranging from 2d games to wisps.
Up b can remain as well.

His norms can be reworked into more break dancing but can't violate the fact he has to work for kos and be a pinball at all times.

Much like I'm barely okay with have 8 different marths on the roster that's too many sonics.

Good thing the game isn't made just to appeal to you, then.

Bowser Jr. Echo

>Eggman attacking with his Eggmobile's propellers, fork, go-kart wheels, and giant tongue

That sounds awful

we're sonic fans user, we all have autism

>not canon
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1132059098067824640

Sounds good enough for Sakurai.

Dr robotniks mean bean machine is still my favorite puyo

Sonic autismchads are gonna rise up