Would a Maplestory classic be successful like WoW?

Would a Maplestory classic be successful like WoW?

Attached: 1536265990999.jpg (480x360, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ddd2MInZXUU
youtube.com/watch?v=2NoF8PHQJqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gfgBDs8z6WE
youtube.com/watch?v=v-GtLObPoto
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Maybe,but not really

But WoW classic was a failure?

I'd play it but only if it let me play in 1080p

No. The appeal of Maplestory was strictly the community, and that could never be recreated. We would all spend hours, if not days, sitting around in Henesys making friends and socializing.

Attached: maplestory FM closing.png (491x581, 515K)

This desu.

B> MapleLeafs
@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@

what made maple story good was the near infinite grinding
id play it

Even at the time, Maplestory was notorious for its grind. The vast majority of players would get around level 50 before the grind became too exhausting to continue.

Man, that takes me back
What are you talking about? The gameplay was atrocious, and everyone who played seriously had to spend IRL money on XP multipliers and gear. The charm of Maplestory was its art style and community.

Unironically nu-MapleStory is even more of a grind than it used to be pre big bang

There is only grind in mmos. People who complain about grinding are just retards who should be banned from the genre.
Some mmos, have fun grinds, other mmos, usualy through mechanics meant to try and soften the grind for casuals, have really shit grinds.

Examples of good grinds are any game that lets you enter a grind trance and pass the hours aoeing things todeath losing track of time and space while listening perhaps to some techno or chiptunes.
Or games that are based on group grinding where everyone has a fairly simple but well defined role and people can appreciate the cooporation and team work and feel satisfied as they help each other further their interests.

Games with shit grinding are ones where you have quests to grind through, or must solo vs single enemies.

Unfortunately, WoW and pretty much every WoW clone is both of those, it has quests you grind through, and usually in the few situations you do not have quests you have very unsatisfying solo grinding vs a few mobs at a time.

I remember I got from level 1 to level 90 playing a Priest pre Big Bang. It wasn't that bad.

Agreed. Vanilla WoW gained a reputation for being some ultimate hardcore game at some point, but it was always the most accessible MMO on the market at the time. That's why it's still able to draw in such a huge playerbase. MapleStory on the other hand really was as grindy and bullshit as people remembered it being.

What made Maplestory's grind shit was how few optimal grinding areas there were. You'd be stuck grinding one specific monster on one specific map for well over a month before finally getting high enough to migrate to the next one. Moving to a less optimal map meant adding tens of hours to the grind. Then at higher levels, your class pretty much determined whether it was even feasible to grind further. If you were a priest, you'd have an easy grind forward. If you were anything else, it was tied to what the best grinding area was at the moment.

Like say killing the fish was the best area at the moment. If you were a spear knight, the multi-target bow user, or assassin, you could grind there. If you were anything else (besides an FP mage, depending on the version), you were just kinda stuck hoping someone would take pity on you and sacrifice their grinding speed so you can level up. Then suddenly they'd add new content and mages could now grind ten times as fast as any other class, while everyone else just had to pay a mage to grind for them.

It will still be a barren wasteland, except with more grinding in the early levels.

This. Sad as it is, the culture of the time will never be replicated and everyone knows that.

You ever just farm 650 billion exp for one level?

Attached: Maplestory-BasilMarket-Screen-224461-1.jpg (791x971, 224K)

>Examples of good grinds are any game that lets you enter a grind trance and pass the hours aoeing things todeath losing track of time and space while listening perhaps to some techno or chiptunes.

Attached: grne.jpg (489x766, 39K)

He's right, though.

These are the post-200 levels, which were originally just supposed to be post-game content for people who just really wanted to keep grinding for whatever reason. I don't think the developers actually expected people to get passed 220 or so. But people had the 1-200 grind so optimized that they could get a new character to 200 a few hours after release.

Do you remember 2005-2007?

youtube.com/watch?v=ddd2MInZXUU

youtube.com/watch?v=2NoF8PHQJqQ

youtube.com/watch?v=gfgBDs8z6WE

Attached: 1443416069584.png (205x246, 4K)

What if we had good gameplay instead of grinding haha and capitalized on the MMO aspect instead of stats wankery that would be good as a prank

>start the game
>have to roll some fucking dice for my stats
>roll a few times
>okay whatever that seems good enough
>start getting levels in the tutorial, game doesn't tell you about stat placement
>friend suggests we place our stats evenly
>yeah that sounds good
>finish the tutorial
>decide to become a mage because you can start at level 8
>my stats aren't high enough because I've been placing them evenly
>immediately forced to start all over
Those were simpler times.

Attached: 1503536813608.png (300x300, 148K)

You guys like my roll?

Attached: MapleStory 2018-09-23 08-55-15-63.png (800x600, 439K)

I remember selling steaks you got at an event to a friend that was lvl 80 or something for 5K.
Back then 5K was still a lot for a low level dude to just get.
I miss those days.

>Maplestory classic
Why would I want to play that grindy shit?

retard

sitting in pig beach for hours a day grinding through the 20-25 only to be stopped dead in my tracks by iron pig and having to cc

needs more @

Attached: more.jpg (500x281, 15K)

where do you even find these brainlet wojaks?

Post 200 is the main game now, everything before that is kinda just there.
You need to hit level 255 to get access to the last area of the game that concludes the black mage storyline.
Obviously hitting the current 275 cap takes literally forever

Does anyone here still play Reboot?

Attached: Maplestory-BasilMarket-Screen-229531-1.jpg (800x600, 250K)

This game literally won't open on my new rig. Maplestory is so dead.

You're better off not playing. Such a huge time sink.

I don't even think Maplestory is in the top 10 of it's own country anymore in terms of relevancy. Now Kartrider Classic without all the boring ass new karts?,sign me the fuck up.

Maplestory Classic is still pay to win.

no, I was in kindergarten.

What went wrong?

Attached: Untitled.png (754x168, 101K)

You can play it from their own launcher so it would be a little bit higher, but probably that it was pretty lacking in content at launch. Once you got to level 50 there was practically nothing to do except run that one robot dungeon over and over until you could do the big boy raids which then does nothing.

I played EU Reboot to level 240~ then quit

Nope. Why do you think all the private servers drop like flies even when they're running fine and reintroducing stuff like a translated Coke Town into the mix? Actual Maplestory is mind numbing when you recall how stuff worked. 35-51 was Ludi PQ that required you to run it for weeks just to get to 51, 51 to 100 was Coolies with an HS slave and good luck going there before 70 if you have no funding. Everything gave you no EXP at all, Kerning PQ took days just to reach 31 and you had to constantly be tracking people and auto-clicking. Do you actually want this? Do you actually want to spend most of the your time gaining 0.01% EXP from most monsters once you can't PQ anymore? People don't even have to suffer from that in the 200s in modern MS. Don't forget it takes as much EXP to get from 70 to 71 as it did to get from 1 to 70 if I remember correctly. Oh, and let's not forget the 3rd job advancement which required you to spend about three hours on ships, a BC which was a bitch and a half to make, and if you messed up enjoy finding another BC.

Old Maple simply had a community people could get into to PQ to take their mind off the actual game, and when they wanted to do anything it took ages to get anywhere and hours to level once.

>tfw Ignite Flyff reopened like two days ago
>still has that vanilla Flyff feel, 120 max lv
>fairly active as well
this is tanoshii

MapleStory 2 was pretty great at launch honestly.

It somewhat had a pretty nice community for the time being as well, everyone gathering in the main town playing their midis either in the town itself or on the stage, people were just socializing and raiding bosses together and shit.
It had that entire debacle with the market as well where people found a way to exploit it by making retarded shirts and stuff with Trump, Pepe and other memes that some people would instantly buy... Then it all just fell apart once everyone reached level cap and realized there's nothing else to do in the game. Hell, I actually didn't even finish the main story of the game because by the time I reached the near end of it, I already had my level fulling capped for a good while so I just got bored, stopped playing then and that kind of was it for me, I just remember seeing the community completely die off in the next 2 months or so after I left.

Attached: 20181013_172533_01.jpg (1366x768, 178K)

youtube.com/watch?v=v-GtLObPoto

>MapleStory 2 was pretty great at launch honestly.
No it wasn't you stupid idiot, no matter how much you tried to force people to play with you.

>t. hatlet

Attached: 1525887151540.png (560x560, 1.2M)

Jesus fuck no. I played the game before 4th job was out, made a few friends and had a pretty good time that I look back on fondly. But I'd rather kill myself than play old MS again. That shit is clunky, boring, stale garbage.

anything blizzard will never fail because you cucks buy everything they shit out

Attached: MapleStory-BasilMarket-Screen-176367.jpg (800x600, 144K)

So you’re saying it would be as successful as wow classic
Because both are dependent on their old communities

the one thing I don't miss from old maple, took so fucking long just to make a character

>Pirates
>Evan
Not old enough