What is the best JRPG?

What is the best JRPG?

Attached: vv.png (500x500, 265K)

Septerra Core

Bump, i wanna get into them, is it worth it?

Final Fantasy V
Xenoblade 1
Tales of Symphonia
Dark Souls

Attached: 1493999757340.gif (418x270, 1.74M)

Seiken Densetsu 3
Final Fantasy 4
Xenogears
Star Ocean 2
Vagrant Story

Final Fantasy VII

This, basically.

I can tell you're in the closet.

Attached: 1565183384238.jpg (800x601, 82K)

Paper Marip 64

>dark souls
>jrpg
also you have terrible taste

And Dragon's Dogma.

>japanese
>RPG, complete with role playing as blank slate, customizable stats and equipment & choices matter
Might lean towards ARPG like some others I've mentioned, sure. But my point stands.

It's Digital Devil Saga duology.

Attached: 1544322701811.gif (489x300, 493K)

Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
I wish more JRPGs focused on replayability than being 40+ hours long. All of my other favorites are also on the short side.

Who?

You just posted it OP.

Basic bitches

what are some good JRPGs on the GBA that aren't golden sun?

TWEWY in my opinion.

Attached: 5th anniversary.jpg (696x571, 106K)

Rivierra the Promised Land if you like reading, Yggdra Union if you like making mistakes and restarting a lot.

Attached: Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix +.jpg (352x500, 59K)

Final Fantasy VI
Dragon Quest V
Chrono Trigger

Attached: a5121f62-930a-43e2-98e8-dfd068344d20.png (648x1152, 693K)

Pretty much every port of an SNES JRPG on the GBA is objectively superior to the original

(with sound fix patches)

Who cares thats subjective
But DQ3 is the most essential JRPG, thats objective.

Not necessarily. Some sound the same, and hell, I actually think FFV on GBA sounds better than the original

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Earthbound trilogy
Chrono trigger and cross

>Xenoblade 1
>Tales of Symphonia
My man. Throw in Skies of Arcadia too.

Your IQ is the same number as your chromosomes

And my favorite music is better than yours

>Earthbound trilogy

Please don't do that.

I wish more JRPGs had barefoot lolis.

Attached: art-02.jpg (400x943, 36K)

I hope you dont think its a wrpg. Name one wrpg like it.

FFT

Its weird seeing more people recently talking about how much they like Dragon Quarter when I basically heard nothing but how shit it was for about a decade. Haven't played it myself so I have no actual opinion on it, its just funny seeing how things slowly shift over time. It does seem pretty unique and interesting.

Well, it was pretty different from the other Breath of Fire games. That, and some people took issue with dragon transformations, one of the mainstays of the series, needing to be rationed out, but it wasn't that hard keeping it under the limit.

Attached: breath_of_fire_vi_02.jpg (640x426, 166K)

Cursed image

My issue is that they dropped the beastmen party for a bunch of humanoids. Nina isn't even a bird.

It's probably all just me since I played it recently
It's definitely a game that most people kind of freak out over when they first play it because of how it's deliberately restrictive of game design elements that most JRPG players take for granted, like saving, inventory space and even fucking movement, but it's got some really fun combat once you learn the ropes and really good enemy design

Everyone is humanoid in Breath of Fire, except Peco and Ershin. It's just that no one's human. Except Nina III and Momo. No one's human in DQ either except arguably Ryu. Nina ain't a bird, but she's not a human either

What, we're just talking about Breath of Fire.

Attached: breath-of-fire-6-new-gameplay-2015.jpg (730x418, 41K)

>Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter

the game that ruined the series?

It's a great game, even if it underperformed
I honestly don't know what anyone at Capcom was thinking when they made it though. Blows my mind that anyone expected it to sell

No, it just killed it. VI ruined it.

As a fan trying to be unbiased, its probably top 3 in terms of combat if not 1.

acceptable taste

Mother 3 my man, which is also the answer to OP's question

Cursed game.

Overrated

Nah.

Attached: 277ab57511a117230fcfe1c4ca54b7c3.jpg (480x678, 61K)

If you say so.

Attached: OfsRGmF.jpg (854x480, 65K)

Wizardry IV

Does Phantasy Star Online count?

>JRPG
also 4 is kind of shit

Wizardry 4 was made in America by Sir-Tech, though.

Have you forgotten something, user?

Based

The hell Is that

>Star Ocean 3
Fixed that for you.

Attached: 23013215.png (700x525, 738K)

Close

Attached: F.png (864x573, 1010K)

Is this the most try hard attempt made by a western company to make a JRPG?

>Choosing SO 3 over 2
oof

I hated IV because of its garbage map design, overabundance of stupid mini games and boring plot. All the pretty aesthetics in the world can't make up for that

But its the superior game.

Attached: 47305299_p0.png (881x1051, 494K)

Attached: apgvkydr1h721.jpg (1024x724, 138K)

i don't think so? explain

Technically, yes. But I do remember the characters of SO 2 better (Especially Ashton) much better than 3.

It just comes down to personal opinion. SO 3 loses a few points with me, for introducing 'that' plot twist that kinda damaged the franchise going forward.

After beating the game, the game tauntingly asks if you've forgotten something. However, if you managed to get the true ending, the game then assures you that you haven't.

I've had great fun with the FF1+2 bundle on GBA.
NNow my question is, is FF5 better than 4 or vice versa? I plan on either getting a Final Fantasy GBA port or Chrobo Trigger on DS for my upcoming birthday but I can't decide.

ez

Attached: 1473204600706.jpg (1772x888, 660K)

I can't think of a way in which V isn't better than IV other than I guess character differentiation, but the point of V is character customization to begin with. That said, if you're thinking about IV DS, it's definitely a contender gameplay wise, the challenge is real and so is the balance.

V - job system fun
IV - plot

SUIKODEN

Attached: cDEPnQ0.jpg (1000x1000, 113K)

Most of them.
>you create your own character and assign their stats (typical of wrpgs, but something almost non-existent in jrpgs, where you typically play as a pre-defined character)
>uses a stamina system (a common feature in wrpgs since the 80's, even elder scrolls had it decades before dark souls, but far less common in jrpgs)
>uses a vancian system for spellcasting derived from western tabletop rpgs such as d&d
>uses a classless system (common in wrpgs like fallout and elder scrolls, but almost non-existent in jrpgs)
>story is primarily told through gameplay, like many other wrpgs and in sharp contrast to jrpgs which typically feature hours of non-interactive cutscenes)
>an emphasis on non-linear exploration (again, common in wrpgs, almost non-existent in jrpgs)
>enemies are pulled straight from western rpgs (e.g. mindflayers, mimics, myconids, etc.)
>armor changes your appearance (again, common in wrpgs, almost non-existent in jrpgs)
>you can kill npcs (again, common in wrpgs, non-existent in jrpgs)
>combat has more in common with old wrpgs like severance: blade of darkness than it does with anything else in the jrpg genre
>many other gameplay mechanics and features it shares with wrpgs

Attached: smokePepe.jpg (720x724, 29K)

>frogposters

What do you mean by character differentiation? Like, personality wise?

yeah, if someone frogposts, I automatically ignore it

Dragon's Dogma is fucking terrible, though.

gameplay wise
Each character is a set class in IV and has a unique ability that no one else can use (except in the DS version where you can assign the abilities of party members that have permanently left to your current party members)

In V, you assign character abilities yourself and there are no unique abilities. The only difference between the party members are a few minor stat points

Perfect thread to ask this question. Interested in Phantasy Star Online 2 and I also want to give the rest of the series a shot so i bought 2-4 on steam and thinking about getting 1 on Switch. Are they good RPGs?

Attached: Sonic PSO2.jpg (347x145, 13K)

Never played them but /vr/ says they are

>/vr/

okay, retard

This. Also, coming off of 3, the narrative of 4 is incredibly shallow in comparison.

Chrono Trigger.

Xenoblade 1 is also a very good choice.

Phantasy Star 2 is 30 years old, I guess that counts.

Yo is Pillars of Eternity a fun game? How was the sequel?