Thief

Favorite game?
Favorite level?

Attached: 360309-thief-gold-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x370, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=asM9guG7KlE
youtube.com/watch?v=Qd5Rmdwsp18
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Probably Cragscleft or Bonehoard

The sword and I love bonehoard as well.

I think I'm really bad at this game, Yea Forums. It's my first stealth game and it took me about an hour to complete the first mission on hard. Had a couple run-ins with guards in which I had to keep bonking them with the blackjack so they wouldn't squeal on me, too. Does dropping an unconscious guard in water kill them? Because I only ever used the blackjack, but on the endgame stats screen it said I had two kills.

TG
The Sword or Song of the Caverns

Dropping people in water will drown them. Taking an hour to finish a mission is normal, the third mission took me about 3 hours to finish the first time I played it (on expert).

the Cradle

Attached: il_794xN.1924147347_kk7p.jpg (794x1038, 152K)

>Favorite game?
The Dark Project
>Favorite level?
Life of the Party

Thief 1 is the best. And i think the mages Towers was the best Level. Thief 2 was better mechanically but it had so many long and boring levels like the Bank.
>that horrible final level from thief 2
I didnt even understand the level, i just skipped it.

Attached: 1561458933802.jpg (1536x2048, 484K)

>Does dropping an unconscious guard in water kill them?
yes, I found this out myself the hard way when I threw a guy into the sewer on thieves' guild and got a mission fail after overwriting my quick-save

Attached: 1537723125964.jpg (1536x2048, 457K)

>Thief 2 was better mechanically but it had so many long and boring levels like the Bank.
>many long and boring levels
>Unirnoically thinking First City Bank and Trust was boring
opinion discarded

Attached: 1558894303727.jpg (1515x2048, 438K)

I want to play this game, but I hear the game makes you get certain items to bypass areas without telling you that you need these items and that these items are hidden really well

This happened to me like twice throughout the entire series, and that's on Expert. It's not that bad. Difficulty levels mainly add additional item/loot objectives so you should pick difficulty based on how much you explore and how patient you are. I think Expert is overall the best experience though, even for a first playthrough.

tell me then, what part of this level is exciting?

Bonehoard, or Shalebridge Cradle. Depends on what I want in a level.

I can see that this is something from the German Version of Thief Gold. Is that right? What exactly is it and how did you come by it, or did you make it yourself? It's pretty fuckin neat.

I consider Thief 1 and 2 to be the same game/experience. Same with the Stalker games.

>long and boring levels like the Bank
This has to be bait.

>Mages Towers was the best Level
>Boring levels like the Bank
You should feel ashamed

fuck you guys, what the fuck is so great about the bank?

>Thief 1
>the Alice in Wonderland mansion

>didnt even understand the level, i just skipped it.
Brainlet.

>manufacturing another component
>sneaking around with tiny robots everywhere
>pull lever
>part spits out of machine with a loud thunk
>I... I DO NOT KNOW

One of the most structurally complex levels in the franchise, with multiple entrances and many forms of security. It also has almost no symmetricality. A lot of loot in very difficult to reach places and overall difficulty that is so high that the mission only has main objectives even on Expert. It's supposed to be a challenge for beginners,

but even on expert all of the extra stuff is just optional

>Thief 1
Down in the Bonehoard (spelunking in a spooky cave, what's not to love?)
Song of the Caverns (best mission imo, great architecture and sound design)
Into the Maw of Chaos (not exactly a good mission but I love the descent into an otherworldy place)

>Thief 2
Framed (breaking into the heart of the citys police is nail-bitingly tense)
First City Bank and Trust (fantastic art direction, great atmosphere and very tense)
Precious Cargo (very underrated imo in terms of atmosphere. love the rainy, foggy atmosphere and the feeling of breaking into a secret cult facility, sort of predecessing Splinter Cell)
Casing the Joint/Masks (very comfy)

German version, a collector took the pictures.

>Into the Maw of Chaos (not exactly a good mission but I love the descent into an otherworldy place)
This. Oddly enough, these adventurous levels are what fascinated me most about thief. Same with the walled off city.

Some Thief fans (RazorFag par exemple) lamented the overuse of spelunking levels with spooky zombies and ghosts. These were what made Thief 1 stand out. Just because it involves robbing a graveyard instead of a mansion doesn't mean it's not thievery.

whoever keeps making thief threads has my seal of approval

Attached: 1567180692761.gif (440x296, 223K)

I don't mind the supernatural stuff but some of the mechanics did seem overly gamey. Like the platforming sections with the pew pew purple particles in the bonehoard.
Thief 2 levels felt much more lived in and less like abstract Quake levels, although I did miss the weird stuff to a degree.

>spelunking levels with spooky zombies and ghosts. These were what made Thief 1 stand out.
That's precisely what made a game not stand out in the 90's. Caves with zombies and monsters. Yeah never seen that before. What made Thief stand out is the levels with tons of enemies that you're not supposed to kill but avoid and listen.

it will take you forever at first, but that's normal and part of the fun. The bank level took me two and a half hours the first time, but I can finish it in under six now.

It's an RPG, but it's mechanics based, not stats based. So you, the player, improve over time, instead of your character. You will actually learn how to be better at being sneaky in-world, instead of hitting level 9 and suddenly npcs can't see you

Careful. A lot of the nostalgiafags here praise Quake for its levels looking like nothing instead of something because something that doesn't need to look like anything can be shaped like anything and so levels can have more geometric variety without any effort like what modern level designers have to do when decorating geometry with level art

>I want to play this game
do it, play on expert. Don't worry about what people say.

have you ever watched a movie like ocean's 11 where they execute the perfect plan to outwit the best security and rob a vault?

FB&T is the closest games have ever come to that experience.

I didn't see those parts as gamey at all. They're traps, it's an ancient tomb that has treasure. Unless you mean that no one would build a tomb with traps like that - yeah, but then I might as well not play games.

Thief 2 basically has no supernatural element, and focusses only on humans and machines. That's okay, but the game was extremely easy and barely spooky. It took me a long time to beat Thief 1, and I beat Thief 2 within 2 weeks of getting the game when I was a kid.

I agree, it's hard to separate either and claim a favorite, CoP and SoC are too similar in quality.

The design of, say, the bank is as contrived as anything in the bonehoard And That's a Good Thing.

Maybe, but it's hidden by great art direction and aesthetics. To this day I think Thief has some of the best plush mansions and fancy buildings

>no supernatural element
Nevermind the forest demon waifu

Is there anything wrong with murderering guards or civilians? Or is it just honky dory?

You never encounter her in-game, and the level on the way to visiting her is much more NATURAL than supernatural. Both of the other Thief games had much more present supernatural elements.

Garrett's just an egomaniac and wants to avoid murder because other criminals do that and he wants to be better. Not morally better, more skilled. In gameplay you just get a game over on higher difficulties. There are no other consequences.

Attached: 1550273548495.png (293x254, 97K)

wtf is this?

Beta security cameras

Which game do I play as a beginner? Any tips? Any mods?

i played expert on first playthrough all the way, fun as hell, expert is just way more loot and more hidden shit

Why would you not start from the first game? It even starts out with a proper practice level for the basic mechanics.

remember this?
youtube.com/watch?v=asM9guG7KlE

Please don't bring that game to these threads

i have to start thief 2 again, didnt go beyond second level
my fav map from thief 1 would be the sword of course
THAT corriddor is so kino

Is the game super SUPER unplayable bad?

I bought it for like 3 bucks during the summer sale.

Also

youtube.com/watch?v=Qd5Rmdwsp18

Attached: thi4f.jpg (2500x1200, 397K)

thief 2
angelwatch

Attached: angelwatch.jpg (705x1024, 84K)

Its not unplayable but its neither a good Thief nor a good stealth game, get a refund if you can.