In 2019... I am still game of the decade

In 2019... I am still game of the decade

Attached: Rain_World_logo.jpg (820x543, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PaNyQ7WgS4s&t=2s
youtu.be/VKHNsDwhlhU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

*ahem*
FUCK FIVE PEBBLES

Can you really blame him though? Big Sis Moon interrupted him during which he trued to solve a problem

Easily

Attached: 1549484952830.png (624x492, 290K)

FUCK SHORELINE

Attached: ahem.png (107x301, 76K)

Silksong might come out this year, though.

Attached: a97.png (500x616, 108K)

Surely you mean Farm Arrays

Attached: 1556457793357.png (1280x720, 217K)

NO, FUCK FILTRATION
I like that there are no consensus on the worst area, they are all worst in some way.

Attached: 1566900061226.jpg (745x446, 72K)

Stop shilling this garbage.

Yep, let's shill WoW classic instead.

cmon, no one can hate industrial unless they get filtered by lizards really hard

There are casuls who haven't opened any gates, so they got filtered by Industrial and it is the worst (i.e. only one visited) area for them.

Attached: qNVMwcovTOc.jpg (208x141, 7K)

>tfw first time trying to climb the wall
I shouldn't have googled that map... but it was worth it.

Attached: I'll go first.gif (444x250, 2.66M)

steam removed this game from my library due to a billing issue apparently even though i bought it over a year ago. sucks since i could never figure out where to go after reaching the alien girl thing, but i was enjoying it up to that point especially mastering the movement

Well, I climbed down, found a grapple worm, and then reclimbed the wall.

A decent game with interesting themes, but there's nothing left to talk about.

>those thighs
They know what they're doing.

Attached: D875Q6dXUAEFueq.jpg (1024x966, 71K)

There is always a new player around who 'eat glowy things near alien girl' to mock.

Attached: D5egcDlWAAArUnw.png large.png (710x1079, 72K)

I still sucked with grapple worms at that point so I just speared my way up past that lizard gangbangs. Took ages for that first try but on subsequent runs I can get up it fairly easily.
I barely even bother to visit Moon anymore.

>I barely even bother to visit Moon anymore.
You monster

Attached: D41vSnUUUAIuZ3c.jpg large.jpg (866x845, 44K)

>t. casual

Mmmhmmm

Attached: IMG_20190726_213106.jpg (863x1235, 710K)

Attached: indegdfdfgx.jpg (248x203, 7K)

Here, calm you furfag tits.

Attached: Dwts6P3XgAAmwxq.jpg (896x1200, 75K)

what's the scariest moment in the game and why is it the first dropwig?

Attached: 1567113122772.jpg (649x536, 87K)

I just think slugcat is neat!

>mfw currently doing the hunter run
What the FUCK is wrong with scavs, they were best bros while playing survivor and now any eye contact results in a spear right in the head.

Attached: 1548276964036.jpg (872x964, 255K)

No, it is either spider hordes in Shaded Cytadel or any grown centipede.

Attached: sad.gif (221x212, 1.81M)

I was on my toes all throughout the Memory Crypt section because That section is very armospheric

Attached: 20190717_002003.png (1440x705, 163K)

Rain World? Now that was a good game.

Attached: 1551023035425.png (522x535, 52K)

It's been long enough that I'm surprised by the animation quality all over again.

Yep, not like that post-2018 crap.

Attached: unknown34234234.png (548x520, 48K)

Attached: ezgif-1-c7842fa04fa8.gif (236x176, 2.69M)

Attached: the worst.gif (267x243, 1.98M)

Attached: 1551878452167.png (718x662, 17K)

>invisible lizard chomps me right at the exit of a tunnel
At least i can thank Rain World for teaching me what my death cry sounds like.
Ever wonder what sound you'll make when a lion jumps out the bush to bite your neck? For me it's a sort EURK! where the throat tenses up, not glorious.

Attached: 1381219850794.gif (400x335, 135K)

>In 2019... I am still game of the decade
rain world is a bit depressing to me. So I enjoyed yokus island express more. It's my game of the last years.

Attached: 1567263121245.jpg (800x800, 418K)

based

I am highly doubtful Silksong or any other video game will even approach Rain World's sheer artistry. It was like a spiritual awakening.

i thought it would give me cool powers i didnt mean to do it

>I didnt mean to eat the thing that caused the girl to kick and scream
Just admit it user, they looked delicious

Attached: 1561822412333.gif (500x500, 2.31M)

Well you did get cool powers. Congratulations!

Sure, artistry is great in RW, but the main reason of fun is no hand-holding approach and honest simulation of everything. This honesty goes even before "game design".
Hollow Knight, on the other hand, is deeply rooted in game conventions and can't elevate above them.

Attached: DzNuoplVAAUbn-q.png (1080x747, 182K)

What even comes close for game of the decade?
>The Wonderful 101
>BotW
?

For me it is (except Rain World) Kingdom Come.

>just bought it on Switch today
What the fuck am I even doing.

Attached: mfw convolution integrals.gif (500x280, 3.81M)

Advice: trust your animal instinct, even roleplay as an animal. Now get out of there, blind experience is the best.

Attached: bomb.gif (172x91, 329K)

These are my top three of the decade too. Breath of the Wild will probably be improved upon but we might never get something as good as Rain World or TW101 again.

Well, that's just it though. The simulation isn't "honest." Things aren't simulated to any deep level, there's lots of abstractions and simplifications, and some things that are outright smoke-and-mirrors. But it's all in service of the idea that it is real and random, which in turn leads oh-so-amazingly into the bigger ideas of the game.

For me, atleast
>Hollow Knight
>Rain World
>Talos Principle
>Darkest Dungeon
>Enter the Gungeon

Attached: 1566438699650.jpg (720x960, 81K)

What the fuck's the story of this game anyway? Why is the map some scrap heap shithole?

Attached: 1566713960145.png (331x384, 123K)

There is a reason. Go play the video game.

Can Rain World be improved upon? Enough to warrant a sequel atleast?

Yes, I know, and lizards actually don't eat anything, they just bite and shake. I mean that enemy caring for its own survival is much more honest than patrolling automaton made to be killed by player.

Attached: heehee.png (259x161, 5K)

Can you explain the appeal of W101 to a pc fag like me?

I mean, between this and Pathologic 2, you're not that wrong...

i wish there was a mod with this buff slugcat

It happens.

Attached: RWAmbush.webm (720x360, 2.6M)

>Game of the decade
Haha no.

Attached: cq5dam.thumbnail.319.319.png (319x305, 197K)

There's one very obvious technical and gameplay flaw which is that the fixed camera kind of sucks. That's really all I got though. I think you can add more to the game and it becomes very marginally better, but this entire journey you go through from being a helpless animal to mastering your environment and then starting to care about others, then the world at large, and then spiritual salvation is really this one-of-a-kind profound experience. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like that in any medium, much less any game. I don't know how you replicate that or top that. I don't really know how you do that in the first place.

I thought that the game might be really interesting if it were multiplayer though. Like if you had a lot of people playing on one server that gradually empties as people cross themselves out. It wouldn't be the same experience but it might be something.

RW blows it away

Hollow Knight is polished nothing, dude.

Attached: DzNuqq9VYAAP5d3.jpg (1920x1080, 110K)

Well they do at least bring stuff back to their lairs. I'm fine with that. Hell, you can even feed them and they stop chasing you. But I mean stuff like climbing the Leg where there's just constant ambushes despite no other prey items being around, or the way the Raindeer work. There's a lot of stuff that isn't random.

>tfw you finally make a friend in an unforgiving, savage world

Attached: 896991911_preview_dragon friend.png (575x717, 460K)

I think there’s something the fixed camera adds to the experience though. I can’t put my finger on it but it’s there. Otherwise, yeah i completely agree. A sequel without those things simply wouldn’t be a sequel, and a sequel with those things would be too similar.

>tfw it dies shortly after because of a fucking vulture

Attached: surfinonthelizards.gif (428x280, 1.4M)

Yeah i was thinking about how the deer don’t really have a goal and how that detracts. At least they look amazing and they offer something unique (riding another creature to progress).

How does rain world manage to be spooky with simple pixel art? Not saying simple as a bad thing btw, just the designs and spritework is fairly simple but the animation is incredible

> how you replicate that
I suppose that one of the answers is "do not cater to power fantasies".

I think other games will inevitably adopt its ideas about how creatures behave but they executed everything else to a really high standard as well. The themes and how they're experience through the game will be hard to top IMO.

It's nothing too complex, just amazing stylish action combat wrapped up in an excellent package. The wonder liner mechanic feels clunky and weird at first but when you appreciate it and all the other nuances that come with controlling a team you see how it's one of the most unique but fully featured action games ever. On top of that it's got a great story, great soundtrack, tons of hype moments and a shitload of content. It has the most SOUL of any game ever made. Pure fun.

>thinking Rain World is a hardcore game

youtube.com/watch?v=PaNyQ7WgS4s&t=2s

Not that guy, but it's just a really good game where it's extremely satisfying to play. It's the kind of game that you'd always remember fondly if you played it as a kid. It's colorful and visually interesting, it's got a fun cornball story with great characters, it has ridiculously deep combat that constantly introduces new things and switches up the gameplay, and it's extremely long and filled with secrets that you might never find. It also has one of the best endings in any game ever. It's one of those games that just gives you your money's worth 10 times over with the amount of content, depth, and replay-ability, and it's never a grind or a slog.

It's very pretty, but trying to jump over the broken bridge from the center of Sky Island to the east was completely infuriating and not in a good way. You have to land on a spot that is placed just after the screen threshold and it's awful. That at least convinced me that whatever good came out of the fixed camera wasn't worth the hit the the platforming.

Part of it is probably the amazing sound design.

>NNNOOOOOOOOOO STOP TALKING ABOUT VIDEO GAMES, WE NEED MORE THREADS ABOUT YOUTUBERS AND POLITICS

Animation + you are vulnerable + you care for your survival.

Hm, I don’t remember that part. I agree it’s inferior but I think it adds to the feeling of the player being so inferior to most other creatures. Not completely sure how though.

No, more people need to play it.

Hunter is so freaking difficult yet I carry on

Attached: Dzv5SgZWwAEY3_m.png (1200x646, 122K)

I can't deliver the green neuron fly and still have time to cross out. How many hibernation chambers do you have to skip?

the most you can

>trying to coax your purple bro out along a pipe across a gap
>he gets halfway and then loses his footing and falls
PINKY NO

Attached: 1548910965195.png (432x384, 122K)

Gotta go fast

Attached: 1559141658559.png (1125x1045, 2.11M)

You have no fucking idea how bad I want a Blame!/Rain World crossover. Just a slugcat in a Dyson sphere.

Attached: ww6.jpg (668x712, 129K)

I'll see your slugcat in a dyson sphere and raise you a slugbat in the atmosphere of Jupiter.

Attached: 1556399413697.jpg (1920x1080, 390K)

Deep World: Slugcatfish in an ocean planet.

Brain World: slugcat in a Jupiter brain. Five Pebbles the size of a gas giant.

Slugcat hopping Dyson cells in a matrioshka brain.

Slugcat in a tidally locked planet. West is blinding scorching death as you have to use shade to get avoid the sunlight and east is an eerie night world

AAAAAA

Attached: images (55).jpg (300x168, 6K)

CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER

Attached: 1547683863478.png (999x1048, 151K)

But Iterator is already a kind of megastructure. Devs even describe the feel of the game as "rat in the subway" game, in the sence that rat lives in human-made structure, even megastructure, compared to rat's size, but rat is unable to grasp the meaning of this structure.

I choose Daddy Long Legs.

>contact damage

I think he meant more like, that part was amazing, give me more of that. A sentiment I share.

Sure, you could argue some of the awe comes from it being so different from the garbage wasteland you started out in, but I don't see why you couldn't have all kinds of varied and interesting environments purely inside a megastructure.

based

Of course you could, entire biomes if it's big enough

*blocks your path*

Attached: 1550377275018.png (650x448, 33K)

Has anyone tried the coop mod?
Is it couch multiplayer or every player have their own cameras? Can somene lag behind and cause no problem or everyone must be in the same room? I want to try it out but I fear it will end up being very boring with both of us waiting for eachother to cross a room.

Fuck off retard.

Attached: 1550989817135.gif (400x317, 3.91M)

Its couch coop so youre both gonna share the same camera. If the leader goes to a room first the other player is gonna be stranded and cant see shit since the camera will follow the other guy.
You can switch who the camera focuses at least, and you can carry the other player at no movement speed cost to get through the more finicky platforming segments

go back to garbage wastes, you retard nigger monkey scav.

ordinary metroidvania #853

Games can't be spiritu-

youtu.be/VKHNsDwhlhU

Dude if you explore and make the pilgrimages you can unravel what that place is, who built it and what happened to them for yourself. Getting the colored pearls translated slowly one or two at a time is cool because you learn something big about the world and then go back out into it.

RNG-based challenge is the worst kind of challenge.
Also, time limits in an exploration game = cancer.

mad cuz bad
get good
etc.

shit game

Attached: iuytjmhg.png (236x279, 7K)

Hang in there slugger

The random cycle time is awful on Hunter.

any other game that comes close to this? I am literally baffled. (gaming since 1998 mainly on pc. played shit tons of game. this is my favorite by far)

Attached: hunter_run_five_pebbles_and_big_sis_helped.png (1920x1080, 583K)

>the one pearl that explains Void Fluid properly is in some godforsaken place no one in their right fucking mind would ever visit
finally found it after 117 hours of rain worlding, languishing in the dankest gutter, what a ride.

Attached: 1550931123014.jpg (1280x1811, 411K)

Go the other way. It's not worf.

Just what I feared, that sucks. I'll try it out and see how it goes but the individual camera is really a big restraint. I hope the modders can surpass that barrier some day, shame that Unity is one of the most modderm unfriendly engines out there, I still remember the horrors of Subnautica coop.

Attached: s.gif (500x236, 1.83M)

It's both spiritual while simultaneously being one of the harshest critiques of organized religion I've seen.

firstly, it will not come out this year.
secondly, hollow knight is generic metroidvania with tons of flaws. it will not be that different. it is like a expansion pack of the HK.

is this worth the reinstall? bought it on launch, got ass fucked over and over again and then just never touched it again

Its more forgiving now and they added a good amount of content after launch, give it a try

In terms of what? Journey was pretty close in terms of using game mechanics to convey a deeper theme

>game of the decade
no

good game though. I hated playing it but holy shit do I admire the developers' commitment to the bit. Obviously it wasn't for me, but they went so far down the tubes of "lol you fucking figure it out" and the payoff (from what I can deduce) is fucking immense in terms of lore and gameplay depth. I think that's really cool.

any suggestions for your personal gotd? atleast you admire the game's quality. your thoughts are not toxic and I'd like to hear them.

in terms of gameplay. intense, non-linear open-world, top-notch animated, detailed controls advanced movements. also it has pretty visuals and lightning is so sublime in some areas.

I think Journey's probably the closest, but I think Journey's too obvious and on the nose and the theme is too obvious. Like in Journey there's nothing but the message, and the way it ends "ambiguously" is kind of trite.

Maybe I'm throwing too much shade here to prop up my boy Rain World, but I think it lacks the kind of worldbuilding that Rain World has, where everything has an explanation and the bigger ideas come from that fact, leading the players to draw their own conclusion from a strongly presented case. Whereas I felt like Journey was telling me how to feel.

when i look back on the experience i had playing it i feel it's a masterpiece. but i can't will myself to boot it up again because it's too stressful for me.

Do it for Slugcat's sake

Attached: 1491940906837.jpg (1200x1800, 208K)

Attached: 1491343433324.png (444x440, 42K)

play hunter mode. it is so much FUN. you don't need to bring neuron to big sis. just go with "the wall" route. then outskirts >drainage systems> >pleb filtration> ascension. that is all.

>hunter mode
>less stressful

>leg

Attached: unfortunate.jpg (480x360, 30K)

I remember just being so angry and frustrated at the Leg, wanting to give up, wanting to scream "why am I doing this" when it was so unfair. Then I remembered, oh yeah, I guess I'm doing this to help out that alien thing.

Retroactively that's now one of the most profound moments I've ever had with a video game or any piece of art.

Rain World has that quality of actually feeling like this is a real emergent ecosystem that Hollow Knight could never

The thing that really struck me about the Leg is that it kind of abandons the emergent ecosystem. You get a bunch of more typical challenges in a row, with the Minos Birds, then a fuckton of specific ambushes in the Leg, and stuff like the grapple worms.

I don't think it's a coincidence that going down that path is the result of trying to help someone else, and creating an objective for yourself beyond just survival. One of the first things you learn is that you should avoid dangerous places to survive, but then by going through the Leg, you're deliberately disregarding that principle that's been drilled into you. You're risking life and limb because you think you can find some meaning in it.

thats a pretty eloquent way of saying the devs lost their vision halfway through and started making shitty kuso challenges

jesus no

Attached: 1559335433124.jpg (720x720, 111K)

Industrial Zone, Shaded Citadel, Outskirts and Filteration are all good zones.

Rest however are infuriating garbage.

>Assimulate With The Void
very Lovecraftulent

Garbage Wastes isn't infuriating, it's just garbage :-)

i dont get why people shit on garbage waste and shoreline, theyre part of the few that actually feel like an ecosystem and not just a series of choke points

>more shit world shilling
when will it end

Who ever shits on Garbage Waste, its one of the best areas
All the hate always goes to drainage system

I'll stop once they stop paying me and when you buy the game

Why is Moon's moon so fucking JUICY?

Attached: Moon_Delicious_blue_robot_butt.png (401x605, 129K)

wrong thread, friend?

This games so good that if you crazy tinfoil hat conspiritards were actually right about shills I wouldnt even be mad.

Why do people still do pixelated style in 2019?

cute art

I played this game for 15 hours. How do you get past the controls? Is it just not for me? I didn't like that I can't throw rocks upwards at flies for food

i saw at least two people say it was bad but it mightve jusy been one user twice

Attached: 1557661797654.jpg (480x360, 14K)

If you haven't gotten the hang of the controls after fifteen hours I don't know how to help you

I wanted to like it. But I guess there are just games that aren't for me, no matter how I feel
Keep having fun, bros

Attached: 1455838528437.jpg (1280x851, 214K)

Every area in the game is good.

It took me a while to get used to the controls, but I can see how people would get uncomfortable with them. There is a mod that gives you more options for controls and whatnot

I've tried to get into this game 5 times now and I regret trying to every time. Its just not fun and it feels like it was designed with the purpose to frustrate you as much as possible. The water areas specifically are some of the most awful sections I've ever experienced in a game. I'm okay with dying to shit in one hit and being so vulnerable, but the symbol system just felt like an unnecessarily harsh kick in the dick for dying. I'm an advocate for being punished for dying, as it gives you an extra reason to actually fear death. I think games like Souls and Pathologic 2 handle that well, but all RW's punishment does is add tedium. Surviving in the same area over and over to unlock the next door can SOMETIMES be interesting, but more often that not its just boring, and I'll find myself rushing to food just to get it over with, only to get TONGUE'D from an offscreen gator and die and have to do that shit all over again. I love so much about the game like the ecosystem, how vulnerable you are, and the atmosphere, but its just shite to actually play.

lol get fucked

i extremely agree the game draws you in with the fun early levels and then the later levels are just like "heres your videogame faggot have fun"
i doubt the devs actually played their own game

>Outskirts is fun
Ehhh.
Later and more advanced levels are actually cooler, Sky Islands is one of the best. sounds like he got filtered by Drainage which is an optional area