What is your favorite roguelike?

Attached: f472fd251f192f4bceab510bab5efe3062b84e7d.jpg (616x353, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uuA8_yUffU0
youtube.com/watch?v=gIbu3GZxPu4
youtu.be/K8J7hxNDsAA
youtube.com/watch?v=bzcYJdZF9j0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>roguelike
>doesnt post one

Anyway, cogmind is pretty great so far

Mystery Dungeon Shiren the Wanderer

Azure Dreams

I'm really enjoying Mystery Chronicles.
Is the latest good? It got confirmed for Steam release.
I liked the way it was done by keeping your pets levels. Too bad you couldn't date your sister who was sexy as fuck. Even back then I wanted to sex her up.

Attached: 20190826125429_1.jpg (1920x1080, 799K)

I had fun with it first but after I found out you need to do tons of stupid shit and use items from previous runs I totally lost interest in the game.

Ps1 or gbc

PS1 is my all-time favorite game, but I like the gbc version too.

What is the difference between the PS1 and gbc version? I just bought the PS1 game recently.

One Way Heroics is pretty much as roguelike as you can get.

Shiren is actually a unlockable character in One Way Heroics.

Attached: 2016-11-24-052920.jpg (960x544, 252K)

One way Heroics actually.

But if that's taken, Heart and Slash
youtube.com/watch?v=uuA8_yUffU0

Funny, the gbc one is my favorite game of all time, but I could never finish the ps1 version.
I didnt like the camera, but I should give it another chance

Theyre pretty close gameplay wise, but the gbc version has less content overall and is shorter.
I like the gbc version's music more

I wanted to like heart and slash, but the switch port would randomly crash on me, making me start from the beginning.
The furthest ive gotten was out of the original facility and into the parking lot before the game crashed and I got super mad and uninstalled it

Starting a new One Way Heroics playthrough, never got very far in it. Best way to build a force user? Starting stats?

One Way Heroics is the most fun with multiple endings and many many different characters to use each with their own story.

Best roguelike in my opinion.

Attached: 2016-11-18-094409.jpg (960x544, 143K)

Reminder that a roguelike requires:
- Random layouts and unidentified items
- Permadeath
- A clear goal that makes the environment scale in danger
- Not just pure combat, you need something else to survive like food

If your "roguelike" game checks fewer boxes than fucking Minecraft, it's not a roguelike.

You seem to have a bone to pick with One Way Heroics. What exactly is missing from your checkbox in One Way Heroics?

Attached: 2016-11-25-084026.jpg (960x544, 218K)

I think both versions have great music youtube.com/watch?v=gIbu3GZxPu4

>forgetting the non-modal requirement
Everything must happen on the game field, no shop menus, no stopping gameplay to throw up vn-style text boxes, no separate minigames, nothing.

hey retard heart and slash was literally 95% off recently on steam, why did you buy it on switch

So one way heroics is a roguelike then.

>no stopping gameplay to throw up vn-style text boxes

ehhh... there's really nothing wrong with adding story here and there. In fact... you can completely miss the story if you don't go to certain places during your run if it spawns.

Hell, even shops spawning is pure rng.

Attached: 2016-11-28-052550.jpg (960x544, 162K)

AZURE DREAMS 2 WHEN
SMT5 WHEN
PERSONA 1+2 REMAKE WHEN

WHAT THE FUCK ATLUS

>requires you to beat the game multiple times and save items from run to "beat" the game
not a roguelike

I bought it on switch the day it launched on switch, user.
>why dont you just wait many months after the game launches and get it on sale IDIOT

The title screen of the gbc version is still the best song in it to me desu
youtu.be/K8J7hxNDsAA

That stops it from being a roguelike.
It doesnt make one way heroics a bad game, I like it. But its not a roguelike

>azure dreams 2 when
Never ever.

Wasn't GBC the one with more content?

One Way Heroics does check those boxes

Does Atlus own the Azure Dreams IP? Isn't it a Konami property?

>That stops it from being a roguelike.

no it doesn't. You're just being a butthurt retard.

Reminder if you have issues with zombie or whatever gay unit that's weak as fuck either use the pet or pugulism. Also try to find a duelist scroll. If you can summon and beat the armored duelist, he's able to solo kill Elma very easily. It seriously made very hard run as a zombie much easier.

Shit I thought it was atlus for some dumb reason
So it truely is never ever then

I was making an assumption, since ive never finished the ps1 version.
And from screenshots it seems like the ps1 had more content no?

Genres are called different names for a reason, user.
When I want to play a game like cogmind, nethack or dcss I dont want to get enter the gungeon or binding of issac in my search feed.
Roguelikes are a specific thing, roguelites are their own thing. Doesnt make one worse than the other

Also didn't didn't Azure dreams have a spiritual successor on the DS that wasn't very good? What was the name of that game again?

I liked Infra Arcana, but the dev probably fucked it during development.

Obligatory nethack

Tao's adventure: curse of the demon seal

Not a roguelike. The word you're looking for is roguelite.

Attached: 1554235659515.png (1701x672, 128K)

>Roguelikes are a specific thing, roguelites are their own thing.

you just literary invented roguelite to cover your own butthurt bullshit.

Attached: 2016-11-29-102024.jpg (960x544, 130K)

Last I recall GBC has no dating but you meet a lot of people in the tower during small events, even at higher floors, so it doesn't feel like you're the only guy going super high. Even the blonde dude get some interesting going with him where he get a pet too and you end up fighting him+the pet or sometime meet him with his pet on mid-tier floors. That and I hears once you beat the top floor you can go at negative floor as a kind of new content.

One way heroics literally does everything on that list.

I never played the GBC game, but they seem to have about the same amount of content, it's just different content.

The psx version has only 40 floors, but has a town you can build up, with mini games to play and girls you can romance. The GBC version has like 100 more monsters, and adds a 100 floor basement that unlocks after you get to the top of the tower. The town building, mini-games, and romance options aren't present. Also for some reason the Weadog monster is the only one exclusive to the psx version.

Yeh also That was pretty much what I remembered.

>you invented it
The term is common though?
We dont call every fps a "doom clone" for a reason.
When games start to become too different from the original genre defining game, they get their own title.
Why are you deadset on keeping everything under the same belt?
Are you really saying that binding of Isaac and nethack are similar enough to stay in the same genre together?

>you can go to the negative floor
I got to the credits and stopped, I should continue then

One way heroics breaks the non-modal thing.

Is this good?

you posted one of my favorites, but the shitsoft version was an awful mess.

Nuclear Throne

Attached: nt.png (1280x866, 1.23M)

>Is this good?

No. Stay away. Horrible touch screen gimmick controls and the tower isn't even randomly generated.

I always thought that arguing the definition of roguelike or genres in general was fucking dumb. Its not like a game gets better or worse if it fits some arbitrary standard. If anything, it might even limit creativity of creators who may feel they have to try to appease these random restrictions. Im all for having genre descriptors to make it easier to find games you might like, but its always "hurrdurr not a literal clone of a game that was released ages ago and wasnt even that good" with the roguelike crowd.

Thats a stupid definition. A roguelike needs to have:
Permadeath
Random layouts
Turn based
Tile based
Most of them have food as a way to prevent you from just camping one spot but it isn't literally part of the definition.

i like roguelites that have some sort of permanent progression between runs

any recommendations?

Didn't nethack stop to throw a few textboxes during the class quest? Nethack not a roguelike confirmed.

What genre?

Lots of roguelikes have unlocks that carry through runs. From the top of my head I would say Isaac or crypt of the necrodancer but there are alot of others.

The ones in the OP.

>We dont call every fps a "doom clone" for a reason.

That's some backwards logic that doesn't prove anything. Technically, every FPS is a doom clone since Doom is the first FPS ever. So yes you CAN call every fps a doom clone.

>When games start to become too different from the original genre defining game, they get their own title.

And how is One Way Heroics so drastically different that it has to get it's own genre? It isn't. You're grasping for straws to say it's not roguelike when you have to bitch about in game text scenes or shops.

>Why are you deadset on keeping everything under the same belt?

Why are YOU deadset on saying it's not Roguelike? Have you actually even play it?

He's a retard don't mind him.

>The ones in the OP.

Confirmed for never playing One Way Heroics. You die, you start over from nothing.

No wonder you're so deadset on saying it's not roguelike. You never played it.

Attached: 2016-11-25-231638.jpg (960x544, 141K)

>Doom is the first FPS ever

Attached: 1547603006011.png (711x664, 314K)

Oh do tell me what first person shooter came before Doom.

Attached: cat.jpg (1153x1000, 184K)

why is one guy posting the bad remake? OP had it right with the image of original.

So what are those stones for?

I never said it's not a rogue-lite. There IS some progression in it. You can get some classes unlocked, more endings, even keeping items in the warehouse thing if you don't play in hardcore mode. So there's still a feel that there's some progression going. That and the medals for beating the game in every difficulty.

Fagbags, consider playing Unexplored. It plays like actual proper roguelike dungeon delving, BUT in real-time, with graphics and with decent fencing instead of bumping enemy tile to death.
youtube.com/watch?v=bzcYJdZF9j0

what's wrong with the remake?

Attached: 2016-11-27-062212.jpg (960x544, 152K)

The only thing wrong here is you're playing the vita version instead of pc.

>remake
You mean the Mystery Dungeon x OWH crossover? It's not a remake.

>roguelike
>real time

I saved up those stones thinking I'd use em one day to do a super powered up run...

but in the end I beat the game a few times without ever using them and ended up quitting before I ever touched them. It's still sitting in my save file on my vita.

Attached: 2016-11-29-103545.jpg (960x544, 140K)

You've got the whole list on wikipedia. There is at least a few dozen.
If you want a known one Wolfenstein 3D came out before doom.

Why would you quit the game without beating it 100%?

Attached: Capture2019-08-31_20_58_50.jpg (1920x1080, 426K)

>I saved up those stones thinking I'd use em one day to do a super powered up run...
Literally not a roguelike then. Every run has to start from zero. No exceptions beyond your own knowledge.

"roguelike" should only refer to random generation and permadeath, and should be compound with other terms to accurately reflect what the game is like. There can be roguelike turn based RPGs, like there can be roguelike real time RPGs, or roguelike FPS.

Attached: 1564354318478.png (719x720, 358K)

Wasn't the guy working on one way heroics 2 with hexadecimal movements?
What happened to that?

You unlock new classes with the stones. Checkmate incel. He was clearly trying to trap you.

I dont call it roguelike, you retard, why the fuck "BUT" is emphacized?

It had a demo last year.

If I install the game, do I have the all the initial options available? No? Not a roguelike.

Yes you do. It's a roguelike.

Play TOME.

>have to unlock classes
>you have all options available from the start I swear

>muh berlin interpretation

Not an argument

Then what is the point of new classes? Are they cosmetic only? If they affect gameplay in anyway I don't have all the options available.

also not an argument :^)

They're not options incel. It's a roguelike. Go have sex.

Then what the fuck are they?

>picking a class isnt an option

Attached: C2vmz96UUAECPzi.jpg (607x608, 54K)

Go have sex incel. You clearly need it. Only an incel would act so fucking retarded about the definition of roguelike.

>incel incel incel
just because he's autistic doesn't mean you have to be

Ok, go enjoy your roguelite

I sure hope you mean plus and not mystery chronicle.

I'm just doing that because he's being retarded and it worked. Better than arguing with the retard at all.

Do you just make up new rules as you go?

>if it has permadeath its a roguelike!!
The absolute state of roguelite shitters

Attached: 1564841470585.jpg (600x539, 35K)

The pc version is a port that runs no better tard.

Shiren 5 is great. I'm glad the series doesn't have to die on the vita

>being a console faggot

>Not being a handheld console faggot

Attached: 17336236_1_x.jpg (512x1113, 52K)

With how popular the Roguelite and town building subgenres I'm honestly surprised nobody took a shot at a azure dream sequel.

I prefer lolis sorry.

Stopped playing that game because I never found how to finish it. The "clear X types of campaigns" requirement to unlock story NPC is very ambiguous. I'm still locked at 4 types after 200 hours and I don't want to spoil myself because I enjoyed the game. Is the thing I missed related to a pure RNG building that can teleport you ? It's the only thing I can think off, because it always teleported me outside of the building

Attached: waiting.png (238x103, 37K)

Mistover comes out next month and it looks really good. Like somebody bought the etrian odyssey dude a copy of darkest dungeon.

one way heroics has a pretty negative score on steam, people are saying there are no challenges and content stays locked, is that true?

It's fixed.

Infra Arcana is fantastic. Ruthless but never frustrating.

I always crap out to some stupid shit in One Way Heroics around the 900 mark. Usually monsters just get too strong for me to keep up. I love this game but it's really frustrating.

I got raped by a 2x speed floating boss boar 2 runs ago. He had probably 30k hp high def and hit 60 per hit with 80% def buff.

Kill mobs more. What class did you die as?

Even in mystery chronicle?

Yes. I'm playing it as we speak in a 3x level, plenty traps run.