Why are turn based rpgs so boring?

Why are turn based rpgs so boring?

Attached: Persona-5.jpg (768x768, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OirORuOuTuM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Social media fried your brain, i'm so sorry

Because menus aren't gameplay and being stuck behind this system designed around tech limitations from 30 years ago is limiting and just for nostalgic/safe reasons

You know your genre is shit when people play it's """"""story""""" and the gameplay is just filler.
Glorified VNs.

real time or turn based, it is all still decision trees... Action RPGs are just as boring most of the time.
If turn based RPGs are only attack, attack, heal, attack, etc, without having to think about anything... yeah, that is boring.

Nevermind the faggot OP.
Why is Atlus allowed to release unfinished games only to rerelease them years later?

Attached: Persona-5-Royal-Key-Art-1-696x986[1].jpg (696x986, 192K)

Cope.
I had way more fun playing Bloodborne than Snoozesona 5

I'm really glad SE had the balls to get rid of it for FF7R.

Action RPGs with good combat are great.
Turn based trash is inherently bad

>Why is Atlus allowed to release unfinished games only to rerelease them years later?
same reason game freak is allowed to do it

Attached: RZ25LLI4BZTWB66F3O3HAIPRSU.jpg (800x452, 102K)

Because you have ADD

Because you're boring

The story in Persona 5 is garbage. Only braindead niggers play it for that aspect.

Because you are playing JRPGs instead of superior SRPGs and DRPGs

Then just play action RPGs dumbass, there are so few AAA turn based RPGs nowdays because companies try to appeal to shitters like you.
>Action RPGs with good combat
At best they have the depth of a fucking GoW game.

The whole game is mostly cutscenes lmao.

Why? just fucking tell me already

Oh fuck off thats not even an argument when other genres barely evolved aswell. How different besides graphics is the newest cod compared to Doom.

*blocks your path*

Attached: dark-messiah-might-and-magic.jpg (800x1120, 273K)

So puzzle games are god tier? Because every genre now pushes story over gameplay now

Are you new? Altus has been doing this for ages.
>Persona 3 FES
>Persona 4 Golden
>Nocturne Maniax
>Strange Journey Redux
Making enhanced versions of their games is something they've BEEN doing. I don't know why it took this long for people to realize this shit. It was the exact same way with Gamefreak and Pokemon recently.

Attached: image.gif (540x304, 1.38M)

You're playing bad ones. Go play DRPGs.

>plays rpgs in diaper mode
Yea no wonder its easy

>Turn Based
That's the problem. Play an actual JRPG like the Xenoblade titles.

>play this other turn base
???

Real time gameplay will always be superior and involve more skill than turn based rock paper scissors

>like the Xenoblade titles

Attached: 1451764107938.jpg (596x591, 141K)

Xenoblade games aren't turn based. They're virtually ARPG's since the combat flows without there being established turn orders. Everything is reactive.

bullshit, you could just mash your way out of KH3 and FFXV. The "action" in Action RPG's suck. Just go play Platinum shit if you want real combat.

>These bad games represent the whole genre

Attached: my man.jpg (1033x679, 168K)

I see you haven't played KH2.5FM.
Using green text without making a proper argument, or statement in general for that matter doesn't do much, I'm sorry. I'd much rather be playing Xenoblade instead of the same old boring turn based gameplay that is Persona. At least it's different.

KH3 is mediocre because the OG dev team left years ago and shitty mobile game dev team took over.
In comparison KH2FM is probably one the best ARPGs out there

I died more times in Persona 5 than in the entire Shitroid franchise

Attached: F1E0ECEF-4BF3-472B-96BD-68968374DF26.jpg (1079x789, 372K)

git gud

Persona 5 is a finished game you fucking retard.

>I died in persona 5
Lmao

I mean they let you aim up and down, turn based RPGs haven't made a shift like that since the 90's.
honestly most of the changes modern shooters have made in the name of realism since Doom have made the games less enjoyable

>Dying in persona 5
How much brain damage do you have?

monies

I find it hard to believe you’ve never died at least once. For example:
>In Futaba’s palace
>see Anubis for the first time
>don’t know what it does
>instakill curse

>people who hate turn based are braindead shitters
Every
Single
Time

I dunno. TWEWY has one of the most unique gameplay features out there and it’s an ARPG.

Attached: live remix.jpg (1024x1014, 184K)

Simply put, because Persona 5 doesn't particularly DO anything interesting, or innovative with its combat system. Seriously, what exactly made the gameplay interesting?
>Baton Pass
Doesn't do much besides trivialize the combat even further, and borderline turns an already easy game into an absolute joke due to how busted the boosts are in conjunction with stat buffs. At the end of the day, P5 was really only praised because for many, it was their first real JRPG. I didn't dislike the game, but the experience is really overblown. I un ironically enjoyed Three Houses far more.

Attached: image.png (608x864, 756K)

Are you kidding me? Anubis has been a mudo user for a long time in the SMT franchise, fuck the most recent SMT IV had anubis with mudo skills I won't even go that far the last persona games had anubis with mudo skills too are you kidding me?

>Getting punked by Hama or Mudo
>Ever
user... my chest.. It aches..

They are not, dear zoom zoom derp herp

P5 was my first SMT game.

they are fun fun fun you just have adhd you amerinegro

>mfw I never got hama'd or mudo'd in p5 despite farming anubis for a long time

Attached: smurk.jpg (211x239, 9K)

You mean Megami Tensei game? I personally don't care if you call it an SMT game, but the Persona and SMT aren't the same, period.

zoom zoom brain

Super Smash Bros Ultimate is my first Mario game

>go for enemy’s weakness
>miss
>enemy crits you
>attacks again
>you die

Granted this only happened once but one miss can cost you your life. The game os really punishing unless you faggots were playing in baby mode

merciless or go broke

>The game os really punishing unless you faggots were playing in baby mode
>persona
You wouldn't last five minutes in a real SMT game.

Attached: 1440108452246.png (500x385, 178K)

SMT isn't that hard either, really. Just buff, and over level up your MC.

nothing in normal mode is any level of challenging past doing the first dungeon in one day

Because you have ADHD.
Only cure is a 9mm aspirin.

>role playing games are easy when you know how to build your character
no shit

Then don't make condescending posts like
>"But muh real SMT difficulty!"

But the people who like P5 think it's good because it's hard despite P5 having one of the worst combat systems in a game.

Attached: 1555207698712.png (461x349, 79K)

SMT will actually rek you if you can't into character building. Not saying it's hard, just saying that it will punish you if you don't figure it out.
I can't picture anyone who would have difficulty with Persona.

You can beat Merciless blind and not die once. You are just shit at a game made for people with 20 IQ

I beat SMT1 and 2 without dying once and died in Matador and Ongyo-Ki once in Nocturne
I died far more often in Persona 5 even in Hard mode.

The truth is that you SMT pretentious virgins assume no one played your shitty obscure games so you think you can go around claiming Persona is too easy without people calling you out on your bullshit.

Spamming gun allows you to breeze through the old shitty SMT games while rushing in P5 gets you killed in seconds.

>even considering playing in normal or assuming anyone would play in normal
Shoot yourself in the head while screaming PERSONA

I agree that JRPGfags use to much social media (Yea Forums) and killed all of their brain cells. Anyone with a working brain wouldn't be impressed by a movie game like Persona

Still harder than Super Metroid, the most casual piece of trash ever made, among the likes of Gone Home.

The game is 95% story

>I died far more often in Persona 5 even in Hard mode.
How low is your IQ. Its literally impossible to die in a game with garbage combat and zero difficulty. Fucking Gust games have better gameplay

Attached: 1469947557559.png (520x600, 290K)

HOY

Still harder than spamming “gun” like in Shit Megami Tensei

Nobody likes P5 because of the difficulty and the combat system isn't bad.

Post your time.

Yeah they like it because it's a movie and the combat system is dogshit. Dumb P5babby

What supposedly makes gun so broken? Tell me. And no it's not. Even something as braindead as SMT1 is harder than P5

Not it's not.

>I beat SMT1 and 2 without dying once and died in Matador and Ongyo-Ki once in Nocturne
>I died far more often in Persona 5 even in Hard mode.
I doubt the veracity of your statements

There's no such thing as a standard turn based game that requires thought, has difficulty, and isn't made for the lowest common denominator.

But they must have merit if a faggot like you don't like them

>standard turn based game
Funny how you worded that so people can't prove you wrong.

Based off this statement alone, I can tell you've likely never played a main line SMT game before, or on a hard difficulty. If all you did is buff and spam Gun, chances are you would have gotten your ass kicked. I don't even know why people bother pretending.

Attached: sleepingtable.jpg (960x720, 70K)

What merit? Name one. And no P5 is not close to good.

TBT and such are good but there's no such thing as a good standard turn based game.

It's fun, unlike your life LOL

>P3 > P2 > P5 >P4

>hard difficulty
Based on this statement alone, I can tell you have never played mainline SMT game outside the more recent ones.

>more strategy and planning than every encounter in P5.
Oh no no no no what do we do bros?

Repetition and with very few moments to actually use your brain. Turn based is only good for SRPGs and card games. Any other turn based system is for retards that like to pretend they're smart.

inb4
>b-but there are SRPGs that don't require you to think too!
Sure but not ALL SRPGs are like that. On the other hand basic turn based games like P5 will always have the majority of your time doing repetitive thoughtless battles.

Are you saying that loading your MP5 with nerve bullets isnt enough to conquer the entirety of SMT1? Because it worked for me

Megaten from Nocturne onward has difficult selection

>it is all still decision trees
This is true but one has way more decisions to make in less span of time compared to the other.

This guy is just a DPS/heal check right?

Nigger dancer gave me a lot more trouble.

The same reason they release this garbage at all, retards eat it up.

This

Try mashing your way out of dark souls and tell me how that goes for you.

>I unironically enjoyed Three Houses far more
Same. When I got halfway through P5 I was already tired of it and forced myself to finish it. I tried Three Houses expecting to put it down after one play session but got hooked enough to play the whole way through and even want to play it again for the other routes.

Depends on the game but overall I agree, puzzle games are quite good.

>baba is you

Attached: bliss.png (1148x760, 981K)

>Why are turn based JRPG's so boring?
Likely because you're playing the wrong ones. Try playing Xenoblade 1/X/2 sometime, or at least Fire Emblem Three Houses. Persona 5 is an overhyped game due to it being "baby's first JRPG" for many people, on top of its stylish substance to draw in teenagers. I seriously don't understand why people blow this game out of proportion. It's fun to a degree, but it's nothing game changing. Plenty of JRPG'a have a message, or theme revolving around society and the system around it in terms of plot. Anime cliched characters are a dime a dozen especially.

>play Xeboblade X
why would you tell someone to play a shit game?

SMT I/II aren't "hard", just tedious. You can completely trivialize them with guns, simply because of how outdated the combat is. I'm mostly referring to IV, and Apocalypse. In the harder difficulty options, you don't simply spam Gun skills to win.

Hahahahahahaha you've never played an smt game.

Not that user, but I like baba is you so much that I bought it after pirating it.

Attached: 1559443651976.png (1200x1719, 222K)

Probably because the game isn't shit, that's just your taste speaking for itself. You are aware of subjective opinions, yes? All I did was drop a recommendation. I'd easily play XCX despite how flawed it can be, over P5 any day. The exploration alone is easily more immersive than a majority of what's presented in P5, for me any who.

>Probably because the game isn't shit,
Yeah it isn't if you ignore the dogshit empty world, meaningless cringyworthy side quests, and awful combat where you press one art on your toolbar to win. Being better than bottom of the barrel like P5 is not something to be proud of.

How do guns trivialize SMT? Because they do in P5 for a fact. But everything trivializes it really.

To each, his own.

Don't bother replying. He's more than likely going to go on and on with the
>"Haha you've never played a """""real""""" SMT game before"
Even though he's probably either baiting, doesn't care for the series, or more than likely played one and dropped it.

>turn based
>Xenoblade 1/X/2

>Empty world
If you can say this, I doubt you even played the game to be honest with you. There's a lot of open space, but there's plenty of areas with immersiveness and interaction with the environment. Especially in later sectors like Sylvalium and Cauldros.
>Cringeworthy side quests
Not an argument, sorry. There's a lot of quests that add to the world building, and expand the setting with ease. Just because you disliked a handful of them, doesn't mean they're bad.
>Press one art to win
Maybe on easy enemies, sure. On actual threats though like Tyrants? Nope. Obviously the combat would be easier to exploit if you know what you're doing though. That applies to all JRPG's. You've got to come up with better arguments, because these were truthfully disappointing.

They're still JRPG's, no? They're arguably better than Persona because they actually have real time combat that can get you fucked over if you aren't attentive to the gameplay. Not only that, but the exploration and overall settings are great to explore. Unlike the mind numbing dungeons that are in P5. Atlus to this day struggles at proper dungeon design.

Hi ACfag

I'm a 4 dimensional being. Time is nothing.

>Why are turn based rpgs so boring?
probably because you're a faggot zoomer
go play fortnite or some other gay shit

What does the AC in ACfag stand for? Air Combat? Assassin's Creed? Animal Crossing? Astral Chain?

The real question is, will P5 Royal fix the issues the original had?
>Improved plot progression, and overall better plot developments
Kind of doubtful, since they said they didn't change much of the original story.
>Enhanced, not brain dead gameplay
Which I honestly doubt, since the new Team attacks, alongside the ability cards will make it even easier to bust the combat down a notch.
>Better dungeon design
I'm hoping, since it looks like they actually altered all of the main dungeons to a degree.

So yeah.. It's looking kind of iffy. At least the Megaman Zero Collection looks fun in 2020.

I loved them as a kid, but I find them tedious now, mostly due to the random encounters. I just want to get shit done, not fight another fucking crow, rate or some other stupid low level enemy. Just feels like a waste. I've been playing Sukoiden while on the shitter lately, and it's not bad, but I can only do small spurts because of this.

>I doubt...
>point out why the game is shit
>YOU JUST DIDN'T PLAY IT REEEEEEEE
Xfags are the cancer killing this board.
>but there's plenty...
What immersiveness? What interaction you fucking dipshit. There's nothing to see or do. You either probe shit like it's some cancerous mobile game or you fight shitty uninspired enemies. Wow so much fun. No actual dungeons to explore or find. This game is supposed to be about "exploration" but there's nothing good to find, the land itself looks like utter shit and somehow there are always already people at even the most extreme corners of the earth, despite you being a supposed 'pathfinder'. The most annoying is the field skills is how much they limit exploration. Even if you DO manage to get by the high level enemies, chances are you're walking in to a ridiculous field check to open a chest, probe etc. It ruined ruins wanderlust in a empty world because you quickly learned by that there's no point in exploring until the endgame
>Especially in later...
>generic snow
>generic lava
lmao you can't be serious. And yes Sylvalium is not technically snow.
>There's a lot of...
>X worldbulding
Hahahahahaha
>Just because you...
90% of fetch quests, 10% cringe anime.
For example, A quest in the commercial district that concerns a racial conflict. It's about a shopkeeper not wanting to let a Xeno in because she thinks their race is filthy. There are a lot of interesting subject matter but goes nowhere despite wha can be done with this.
Anyway, the shopkeeper is convinced other people in New LA feel the same way. So you end up running around town and asking other people for their opinions. They give you some simple two-line responses that boil down to them being happy with the new Xenos. You tell the shopkeeper and then she just says she has seen the light and that she'll let the Xenos in her shop. This is bizarre, because just moments before she was saying some really terrible stuff about them and has a grudge.

Attached: 1557000964942.jpg (720x480, 33K)

>cringe

>All this sperging
>This entire stanza
The game isn't perfect, and I admit it has flaws, but I'm not even going to begin to continue this argument, or further validate you. For the record though, I recommended all 3 of the Xenoblade games. Getting this pained over X in particular is a bit of an obsession on your part, but oh well.

>On actual threats though like Tyrants? Nope.
Bullshit. Ghost Walker breaks every fight in the game. Extra bullshit like core crusher, everything with Overdive that allows this shit in the first place, astral projection, combat limbo + invincible buffs. This game has the depth of a puddle. It's made for retards compared to even the own games in its series.

Yeah it's not good it's a piece of shit you need to stop being delusional about.

This is literally every Xenoblade game, though. I don't understand the massive hate boner Xeno fans have for other JRPG's, but it's pretty strange. Persona, and for that matter SMT at least manage to take themselves seriously plot wise. XC1/XC2 are the definition of your seasonal shonen throwaway anime, cliches and all. I haven't played XCX, but it likely suffers the same issues.

Nah other Xenos are good. X is just shit and has one of the worst fanbases of all time so far up their ass about a empty open world game.

youtube.com/watch?v=OirORuOuTuM

The Xenoblade fan base in general is pretty pretentious on this board, even though the threads have been forced for well over a year now, and they hardly do anything but bark at boogeymen and post borderline Hentai to keep their threads alive.

In terms of the games themselves though, they'll constantly praise the worlds for being "huge and fun to explore", but in each of the games the environments are nothing more than empty fields with little to no actual interaction involved, or bogged down by a useless mechanic like field skills in the latest installment. It's like taking Breath of the Wild, but you can't climb, or interact with the world, period. I won't even get started on the Gacha because that's inexcusable in and of itself, especially when plenty of the Blades can be acquired through quests, or other means. Then they'll sit here and defend it by saying
>"B-But it makes every run unique!"
When most people who played it likely tried to acquire every rare blade.

The plot in general is offensive, and is apparently they have this cult belief that the director is trying to revive some meme "Perfect Works" formula to dab on JRPG's or whatever, but that's years away from even happening. I'll stick to Persona, and Fire Emblem.

So every Xenoblade game? I've seen people praising XC1, and XC2 while putting down other games on a multitude of occasions on this board, and others. Trying to seperate the titles doesn't work, because they all suffer from the same issues really.

Turn-based RPG is by far the most engaging genre. Slashers and shooters are tied for the most boring.

XC1 and 2 don't suffer from a lack of combat depth like X does or offering no challenge to the player.

"Arcade games" nowadays are a fast food not memorable experience anymore where you can find a lot of the same on steam. If your game doesn't rely on gimmicks, forced difficult or expensive art quality, there's no way to avoid being game number #200 and the best way to make it as unique as possible is through the narrative since despite everything games are a experience. You can still play the same games of decades ago or new ones that are like that. After all not many developers are talented enough to create narratives, so it is never going to be a "threat".

>Combat depth
>Break > Topple > Launch > Smash repeatedly to do massive amounts of damage, or spam arts until you can launch off a Chain Attack
>Challenging
All of the Blade titles are easy, bud.