CD, the downfall of videogames

CD, the downfall of videogames
>scratch simply by using it
>all cd consoles has a shelf life of >10 years without maintenance
fuck this shit

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 136K)

Good thing we got bluray now.

>scratch simply by using it
How? That doesn't even happen to vinyl records (unless you mishandle them or accidentally drop the done arm causing the needle to bounce around).

>Doesn’t know greater vs less than.

So embarrassing. Isn’t summer over? Go to school.

he meant to use ~ for approximation

original xbox 360 scratched discs in some cases if i remember right.
I don't know any other cases of that happening.

Discs were a mistake and will be replaced by solid media and downloads in a couple of years anyway.

meanwhile my ps1 from 1995 still works flawlessly, and my Japanese ps1 from 1998 still works flawlessly as well.

stop buying Craigslist consoles user

Attached: E7CC2813-6B00-4329-93E7-188C5D75A370.jpg (4032x3024, 3.52M)

my PS1 and PS2 are gone by this

Discs wouldn't get scratched it they didn't get sucked in by whatever mechanical bullshit that got popular instead of how they used to be.

Attached: ps1open.jpg (1024x768, 47K)

Current consoles just use the disc for a piracy check or the initial install. That's it. Other than that they are not used and will probably last forever if you just keep them in the case.

Where my physical niggas at?

Attached: 436576708786757.jpg (1000x1333, 418K)

I've 3 ps1s. All work fine. And heavily abused by shitty quality burned "backups"

in some cases like the slim PS2 and X360 and some early Wii, the ribbon cable would protrude into the disc tray and scratch the bottom of the disc.

Attached: 4C0681D7-5D55-411A-A856-619346740D10.jpg (210x140, 4K)

Have you tried not being subhuman? I've got CDs from games to albums and not one of them scratched or broken because I actually take care of my stuff rather than just leaving a bare disc on the ground like the 5 year old OP apparently is.

>>all cd consoles has a shelf life of >10 years without maintenance
My OG Xbox has been working longer than that and I bought it used.

I have a copy of Tekken 3 I bought when I was 13 and it still works as good as the day I got it. Turns out if you aren't a subhuman ape and look after your shit it will last. Dumb digitalfag.

I posted this last time and i'll post it again
>leave CD out in the open for 2 decades
>it still works

Attached: niggers.jpg (4000x1500, 1006K)

imagine if your house caught on fire.. and you not only lost your pc or console, but all the physical copies of your games as well.
sure hope you guys have digital backups on the cloud.
also, google disc rot

SD-based memory cards are the way of the future. We went through a phase where memory cards were dumb and CD == king but now we have like 1tb microsd cards and the technology is really cheap and easy to manipulate into special casings or sockets to essentially DRM them, not to mention you could just encrypt the storage medium or make your own file system to ensure DRM...

that was only if you moved the console from vertical to horizontal while the disc was spinning

>NBA2k
And nothing of value was lost.

buy a bookshelf my nigga

I don't know what you're doing to your discs OP.

I've left PS1 discs in my loft for many years. I pulled them out a few weeks ago and they all worked perfectly.

>back when CDs were a thing
>devs had limited space to work with and had to be creative
>now when everything is download
>dude 100 GB games lmao fuck compressing

Attached: 85a.png (200x232, 85K)

The worst part is consoles already having limited GB space.

Compression is a lost art unfortunately. Pokemon Gold and Silver are some of the best examples of this skill in action.

My slim PS2 took a month to make a disc unusable.
Eventually i ended up making copies or pirating games i legally owned because a clean CD was just a couple of cents

What sorcery did they perform?

I don't wash my discs with piss and leave them in the sun to dry like most people so i can't really relate to those problems.

This is due to incompetence and lazyness, i and it's not limited to vidya

>Work as backend developer
>Mostly write API's and controllers to make several of our websites communicate with our internal server
>One day tired of the bloated mess some pages were, i started optimizing queries, timing loadings, compressing shit
>Wrote shitload of code because some dumb fuck thought including a whole library to use a single function in a single page was ok
>Website now runs flawlessly, UX is sky high (gained a whole second in some pages) and Google SEO ranking makes tons of dough

>Suddendly an external widget we use for some dumb shit goes from 50kb to 560kb
>Contact the provider to ask "WTF nigger, why the fuck are you sending me half a fucking MB of uncompressed data for what's essentially some text in an iframe, why the fuck does it need over 1200 not minimized css rules, 90% of which are unused?"
>They respond "Lmao it's just 500kb chill out dude, it's 2019, everybody runs LTE and unlimited data xD"

Attached: 1550430246062.jpg (836x543, 111K)

Hardware quality varies between consoles, the Sega CD model 1 is famous for issues but model 2s are fine.

all ps3 are shit

even if everyone has the speedest internets all the time it's still waste. so yea sounds like just lazyness

haha yeah dude I'm a hacker too the firewalls are encrypted

Why?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't the consoles since last gen allow to install shit on the HD?
I thought that physical disk was not required, and if it was it was just for copy protection

>pepe sticker
What a faggot.

>Reddit frog
I can almost smell you and feel the grease on my fingers

Attached: 1551394965395.gif (320x240, 130K)

give those back

>shitskin

I'm a new CS grad. Get me a job plz I need work experience

The 360 has been the only console I've had a disc drive fail on. And just had the eject mechanism fail after like 2 years cause the system was junk. My PS1 is still going strong, I've never done any maintenance, just keep your shit clean

I have several cd games almost 30 years old and all of them are in working condition.

Attached: 1558771392770.png (738x669, 186K)

ps3 only had partial installs. depending on the game. some if not most didn't require install at all.
mgs4 is probably one of the more notorious ones where there was several installs during the game.

pretty sure that nowadays consoles also read the disc even though those basically forces you to install the whole game. you can hear the drive reading the disc during gameplay.

My 15 year old PS2 is still perfectly fine. Played Nocturne on it last month.

The PS1 is notorious for destroying discs

This happens because the disc drive is mounted on foam pads, these degrade over time and drop the drive lower causing the edge of the disc to be shredded.

Happens to most CD players. You should replace the pads after 5 years, or just get a new drive since its literally cheaper and easier than opening the old one to replace the mount

Attached: 1351728731433.jpg (168x159, 10K)

>Have you tried not being subhuman?
You can't expect much from a guy who owns NBA2k.

>white ps4
Based.
>pepe sticker
Cringe bruh.

Attached: 20190831_110857.jpg (3264x2448, 2.28M)

>calling the pepe sticker cringe
I like having Yea Forums's mascot on my ps4. Deal with it.

>as he posts a picture of a ps1 wuth a broken spindle
Kek

>get yourself out of bounds
>ghost breaks your disc
t-thanks saints row

>Yea Forums's mascot

Attached: 1566940294714.png (600x580, 572K)

Attached: 20181014_130841.jpg (3264x2448, 2.21M)

CDs are garbage. I thought I befriended some monkeys. And one day I found all my ps1 discs were snapped. It was some kind of sociopathic bullying. thankfully I found out one of the monkeys was stabbed to death in middle school.

Attached: meankids.jpg (400x249, 21K)

>hating pepe

Attached: 1556332038094.png (712x452, 185K)

Attached: nice meme.png (385x478, 190K)

tes

test