Saturn was far more impressive 3D console than PS1 was and it came before it

Saturn was far more impressive 3D console than PS1 was and it came before it

Attached: 1280px-Sega-Saturn-Console-Set-Mk1.jpg (1279x708, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

panzerdragoonlegacy.com/articles/panzer-dragoon-additional-moves
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Too bad it had no games.

It did. They were all just jap exclusives and arcade ports.
Saturn had the best arcade ports for home consoles too.
Some of the saturn and cd drive games also made it to windows.
All around sega were great back then and the saturn was the beginning of the end for them in the console business because sega of japan fucking retarded.

It was going to be weaker, but when they saw what the PlayStation had, they added in another CPU at a late stage. This is partly why it's a bit of a bitch to develop games for.

If you manage to catch a couple of /vr/ autists that really understand the architecture of both machines they never actually reach the conclusion of which is technically better for 3D, it's always a bizarre back and forth. But if you just look on the face of it, the PS1 has far more impressive 3D games on their library than the Saturn does. Saturn however is undeniably better at 2D.

Attached: 1539771020804.jpg (945x945, 129K)

It basically boils down to how difficult the Saturn was to develop for. It's why emulation has lagged behind PSX and N64 all these years, the console is a huge pain in the ass to work on and the documentation is toast.

All the playstations were sold out so 10 year old me got a saturn. What a mistake.

Back to /vr/ with you Saturn friendo.

Attached: 1560136061118.gif (500x364, 983K)

I finished Panzer Dragoon Saga recently and to my surprise I actually really enjoyed it and I don't like JRPGs.

Panzer Dragoon 1 is kicking my ass, any advice? I want to play it and 2 before playing Saga

Yes but even the people that were masterful at developing with the system (SEGA AM2, Sonic Team, Lobotomy) I don't think ever managed to make 3D games as impressive looking as the better PS1 titles. The game that's arguably most impressive from the looks of it but never got released, that Shenmue tech demo, as impressive as it looks if you look at the frame count it's really really low, and at that generation it was common games going into sub 20 fps, and it was way lower than that.

Attached: 1547594067137.gif (320x240, 1.97M)

You can double tap to dodge if I recall correctly and most people never figure that out.

It does not matter how powerful a console may be if the general public cannot afford it it will simply fail

Attached: 1564671809717.jpg (1440x1439, 994K)

Any decent emulators? I have one and a bunch of games, but fuck collectors if I'm spending $400+ for certain titles.

Every bit of Saturn 3D strikes the player with awe and changes the rules in what is possible. PS1 3D feels extremely homogenized with only a few exceptions, but N64 3D with its massive low poly landscapes and the worst textures you can imagine is easily the least unpleasant of them all.

What part?

Attached: atolm.webm (480x358, 2.84M)

>$599

SSF or Mednafen

Attached: 1539597574104.jpg (709x709, 365K)

run psuedosaturn

I'm up to the episode that's entirely in a tunnel system and I'm just getting wrecked. Feels like the enemies are super fast

Attached: saturn.webm (2048x1102, 2.7M)

They are, you'll have to work on your memorization for that one. The game expects you to respond quickly and the openings are usually easy to spot from far away to avoid any shots coming your way. The boss is different from other bosses, you have to use your pistol, not the dragon's laser. Once you destroy his arms you can lock on and blast him.

panzerdragoonlegacy.com/articles/panzer-dragoon-additional-moves

Attached: 1543082531893.jpg (617x876, 279K)

Nah, the Saturn was trash for 3D games. The crappy T&L, the severely underpowered VDP1, and the fact that VDP1 and VDP2 interact in complicated ways all make for a console which is almost certainly inferior in 3D to the Playstation.

The extra RAM and VDP2 work wonders in (most) 2D games though.

Even with the shitty saturn port why the fuck didn't they localize it for the west?
Everything about the western decisions are fucking absurd

Attached: 1536940089636.jpg (5000x2591, 3.56M)

If you are comfortable bending the rules a little there is an infinite continues cheat.

The man who ran the US division of SEGA at the time, Bernie Stolar, was an asshole.

Europe didn't do it as well

Europe did bring over some cool games the US did not get, like Keio 2.

Europe didn't have the finances that America had. Big name titles that America could afford to translate were out of reach for Europe back then. Not to mention anything that required that RAM cart to run was a huge no-no for (not) Japan for some dumbass reason.
If an Arcade-perfect X-Men vs Street Fighter had come to the west on the Saturn, the entire system could've grabbed the momentum and sales to keep going another 18+ months.
Of course, Bernie had to open his giant gaping asshole and declare publicly that "the Saturn is not our (SEGA's) future" like a retarded fuckfaced moron.

sony did it better
>and i am a fan of sega

Attached: resident-evil-scr.jpg (500x375, 83K)

Attached: images (2).jpg (225x225, 13K)

Europe brought in basically the same number of games exclusively to europe that the US also did. Europe does not have the Working Designs games.

Attached: psx.jpg (800x367, 44K)