Wow, Yea Forums, it's actually really good

Wow, Yea Forums, it's actually really good.

Attached: DQ movie poster.jpg (262x370, 62K)

>make a DQ5 movie
>game where you actually follow a character for over 30 years, resulting in the most personal story in the entire franchise

What a weird choice. Is DQ5 the most popular DQ in Japan or something?

Attached: amashing.jpg (165x178, 6K)

The game? it's fucking fantastic.
The movie? idk, i heard it's isekai shit.

Almost every fan I've spoken to refers to V and VII as the pinnacle of the series.

The isekai part is actually a last-minute plot twist that serves as a vector to the audience to tell them in a somewhat cheesy way that their experiences and emotions while playing a game are real and worthwhile. It was probably the weakest point of the movie, but everything else around it was so thoughtful and well put together and full of SOUL that I couldn't help but love it.

Attached: marry me.png (640x360, 275K)

I tried 5 on my phone just the other day. It's garbage as expected. Any old JRPG actually good and not just shilled by nostalgic tasteless niggers?

Rather just play the game, especially when you aren't forced to marry Bianca.

>not wanting to bone the blonde cutie that drunkely admits her love to you on the eve of your wedding to some no-personality princess
THE absolute state of Yea Forums.

>Erdrick's sword in V
>Isekai shit
Yeah no

Bianca is boring as shit and has zero personality when faced with Nera and Debora. She is quite literally worst girl and generic as they come

DQV is pretty good.

It's a love letter to fans. I don't think the twist devalues the movie (much).

>turning DQV into an isekai

What is wrong with nips?

Attached: teno.gif (498x325, 3.35M)

>ISEKAI SHIT
No

>no Toriyama artstyle
I know, sameface and all that, but it just feels wrong

I doubt fans wants iseka shit and stuff that belong in other Dragon Quest games, in their DQ 5

Did you dipshits just look up a summary of the movie and write it off as generic anime crap? It's not.

I, too, wished they had stuck more to it. Plenty of the 3D DBZ games get it down fairly well. The movie looked way too much like a Pixar film a t points. For better or worse.

>Did you dipshits just look up a summary of the movie
It's Isekai shit.
>DQ is the NTR fans series
>fans get NTRd from a real movie
Like pottery

Fuck, the bottom was meant for

t. hasn't watched the movie
Piss off.

Nera has zero personality before the marriage (never choose her, so don't know if she changes afterwards). You never met her, never really talked to her and she has no story arc.
Bianca may be a generic childhood friend (which is great btw), but that's at least something.
Debora is great, but also exclusive to the remake.

borrowing this from /tg/

Attached: 1567255851853.png (394x633, 41K)

>Isekai
No

fans hate it for fucking literally everything up though

>fans hate it
I'm gonna need some sauce on that, my friend.

From Siliconera:
>So here’s what happened: the film starts off just like Dragon Quest V’s story save for main hero Lucas’ childhood bits, which was glossed over. The show’s complaints on the site were mostly about the disjointed episodic nature of the film.

>However, the film pulls off a twist: when the main villain shows up, he explains that he is a game bug built from the character data of Nimzo. Essentially, the film goes meta on its audience; main hero Lucas is actually a human player embodying the role of Lucas in an immersive VR Dragon Quest V experience. As he is about to be ejected from the virtual world by the Nimzo bug, he gets saved by a Slime he recruited, who turns out to be an anti-bug program in a deus ex machina sort of reveal.

>The hero triumphs over fake Nimzo after an arduous battle, and also brought in a weapon from the first Dragon Quest game to finish him off. The game world is then saved, with the player learning a valuable lesson: even if the games are not real, the memories together with the characters in the game will forever live within them.
In other words it's shit

>loveletter to fans
>get the fucking sword wrong
You might be a turbopleb but real fans know.

I'm actually okay with dipshits like you not ever watching this great film.

>first ever DQ movie
>not having Loto's sword
Again, piss off.

The fact that user is trying to defend it with examples and ever example he posts has 3+ anons instantly jumping down his throat telling him that its wrong is a pretty good indication.

the reviews. the angry fans. the fact im a fan and i hate it. the fact it doesnt look like dq and spams the theme and ever detail was wrong AND on top of a rushed shitty alt take on the plot, it ends up being isekai shit at the end just in case you werent pissed off enough.

you wont be tricking anyone with your bait. we all know its shit dude

>I'm actually okay with dipshits like you not ever watching this great film.
Yeah because it's shit because of the isekai stuff and the movie having stuff that don't belong in DQ 5. Love letter to fans my ass

Abel Yuusha is better than this movie and actually got things right.

Also, Bianca just looks like a lazy copy of the girl from How to Train your Dragon.

Attached: eiga.png (699x687, 579K)

now that he gave up trying to troll, i just beat this yesterday. pretty good but it lost some steam after you get unstoned and got a bit aimless. bosses were too hard by the time you got to them except for the last boss which was WAY too easy. the walk there was more dangerous. i fully expected to die a lot like in dq4 but i killed him first try without rotating or even losing much health. i spent so long trying to get a great dragon in preparation but i wouldve killed him even faster with my much stronger golem. didnt even get any time to level up that fucking dragon. got a king healslime too but all that fag did was spam sage stone. didnt even need to actually heal very much

>Isekai shit
No. Stop bumping this thread. Let it die

It's the creator's favorite too.

so long as the protagonist actually talks and not a mute without any text makes it better then some of the games

I feel a little bad because in the bio all the people involved sans one are huge DQ fans. Makes me wonder why they took it in this direction though.

only if you ignore the Isekai bullshit forced in at the last arc

>It's a love letter to fans. I don't think the twist devalues the movie (much).
it's at a 4/10 rating because of the twist.

>best Dragon Quest game got a movie

I LOVE THIS TIMELINE

but a movie with a shit twist

Still, though! When you played Dragon Quest 5 for the first time did you think you'd ever see it on the silver screen?

Why would I want to watch a movie of a game I liked? There hasn't been a single instance where said movie was actually enjoyable.

I see what you mean user but by reading this thread, you'll see why everyone, even fans, think it's shit. That said if you plan on seeing, I hope you'll have a good time despite all that

I know about the plot twist but I don't give two tugs of a dead Great Sabrecat's cock. I'm just happy to see Dragon Quest 5 in the spotlight.

>Game that is about a personal experience with a huge decision at the midpoint gets turned into a movie
where you watch someone else have an experience and the decision defaults to the worst option

I would rather watch an Uwe Boll vidya movie than this abortion.

I did, or at least some american movie that shamelessly jocks all its beats like what Nolan does with Satoshi Kon films.
Ironically, the movie we got was essentially that. DQV in name but alot just wrong with it like its a cheap chinese ripoff.
I liked the animation though. Everyone looks good even if it isn't toriyama style. Papas looked like a real badass.

Then by all means be happy and go have a fun time

Attached: 1560779995917.jpg (1075x1053, 358K)

Honestly it isn't even about the movie itself. It's about a game that I love getting some much needed attention. It's like when a friend of yours who really needs to get laid finally gets some. You don't care what the chick looks like, you're just happy your buddy finally managed to get his dick wet.

I guess that's somewhat fair. I think DQ is enough of a cultural phenomenon in Japan anyway that I don't really care about it being obscure as fuck over here, but I see your point.

When you say it like that I get what you mean and I'll accept that you won't see any actual criticisms with it when there are valid ones.
Carry on my man, you get a rare free pass from me.

I don't know what it is about DQ and its fans but we can be so mean to each other and then just drop it the moment we realize our bickering isn't helping our community. Its a level of responsibility you don't see in most fandoms.

In Builders2 I always keep a Sabercat in my party just because of V and raising that little dude. Everyone else sees it as an VIII homage but it will always be from V to me.

>I don't know what it is about DQ and its fans but we can be so mean to each other and then just drop it the moment we realize our bickering isn't helping our community. Its a level of responsibility you don't see in most fandoms.
That was beautiful user

I've been on Yea Forums for over a decade a no other game series or its fans act half as human as DQ fans. I remember we had threads going for years without any lewdposting. Years. On Yea Forums. Think of it.

Someone redpill me on the twist

>No, John you are the demons

The whole thing is a VR simulation of some guy playing DQ5, the main badguy is a computer virus that will fuck everything up, and the legendary sword is an anti-virus program

I have witnessed them since I began browsing Yea Forums 4 years ago and they were some of my favorite threads ever
Scroll up user

Attached: comfy.jpg (262x206, 9K)

>DQV meets .hack

After this movie came out the DS version of DQV made it to Japan's top ten list of games sold thing for the first time in over a decade. So regardless of the quality of the movie it still managed to spark a resurge in popularity for the game. I'm counting that as a win, dumb plot twist or no.

Part of why I love DQ is it never goes too hard into sci-fi elements. It stay fantasy. Even mechanical enemies have a whimsy to them that doesn't look like it is trying to be "real" in any way. Like a clockwork dragon will still just be a dragon in metal, not some monstrosity with Kapersky waves or some shit.
Ancient civilization tech will look magical instead of typical hyperadvanced civ stuff.

Seems like a weird fucking angle to go with on a DQ movie of all things but hey, times are a-changin.

Introduced a few of my friends to DQV as the great place to see if you like the series.
They all disliked it because of the family focus and the long burn required to really capture that story.
Hearing them say they felt little emotion to its events was one of the few moments in life I felt my soul actually start sobbing.

Kill your friends. Not even joking. Kill them all. Slowly. And very painfully.

Chrono trigger

>It's garbage as expected.

That's what your parents said when you were born.

It would be a waste. They wouldn't even be able to conceptualize why it is happening or how much they deserve it.
Definitely re-contextualized the friendship that is for sure.

So..... Does the horse fuck her?

Could be a cool twist if it wasn't in a DQ movie. Also the main villain insults the very people watching the movie which would rub the Japanese the wrong way.

Can't remember where I saw this but someone said they should have removed that twist entirely as the movie was apparently enjoyable, and after the credits or before, have a zoom out where you see a kid playing the game and being happy after finishing it. Seems way better to me

It's not about making them understand. It's about removing them from this mortal coil. They are unworthy. The unworthy must be expunged. Kami no seigi!

>As it zooms out the world becomes more and more pixelated until it is the overhead view of the worldmap and the music slowly transitions into midi chiptunes.

>thinking those that can't appreciate DQV would value your mortal coil or lament their momento mori.
Amor fati my man. Let them live in abject suffering.

At least ditch their asses and make some better friends. I mean if you're not gonna go Old Testament on their asses that's the least you can do.

>im just happy my favorite game is getting attention!
youre not fooling anyone jackass. its not like dq5 is japans favorite dq or anything. not like it gets parodied across different media and is instantly recognizable. if you were an actual fan you would be up in arms. this happens every time they make video game movies. they ALWAYS have to fucking mess with it and change it up. you can guarantee on my anger when monster hunter comes out and the dumb bullshit theyll pull on that.

you can deviate as long as youre faithful and as long as you portray the story right. this did not and it further sullied the experience with the ending. i dont know why op is so invested into tricking people into watching this shit. if this wasnt an irrelevant american image board id think you were being paid to advertise

dude chill out let a man be happy

I just don't talk about DQ with them and don't try games they ask me to try. I've played so many co-op looter shooters I don't care for and the one game I got them to try they didn't really try.

>this happens every time they make video game movies
And yet you still get upset about it. You'd think you'd let your past inform your future at some point and become self aware.

The only way to portray DQV right or faithfully is to have it be at least 50 hours long. No 2 hour movie is going to have a slow enough burn to let the gravity of the situation sink in.
There is a reason the novel of War and Peace is considered the greatest story ever told (tied with Moby Dick). The viewer/reader needs requisite time with it to grasp what they need to grasp.

Maybe do something like LOTR or The Hobbit. Have multiple movies and try to shorten or remove some parts

a trilogy following each of the era would work great but we would probably end up with an anakin situation where the actor ruins 1 era ergo ruining the entire thing.

Might be true but aside from an anime with Akira Toriyama's style, that's the only thing I can think off if you want to adapt DQ 5.
But if we go with the multiple movie things, DQ 8 might be the easierst to adapt

>that dude's happy 5 got a shit movie
>meanwhile 4chads got solo in smash