Are there any good recent racing games? Why is the genre so dead?

Are there any good recent racing games? Why is the genre so dead?

Attached: NFSU2_Boxart.jpg (891x1080, 806K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x_kvZPW6yFc
youtube.com/watch?v=VzuN_RUddl4
youtube.com/watch?v=zM91wupO9HA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

simcade killed racing games
prove me wrong

>tfw nothing will ever come close to nfs underground 2
I just want to turn back tiiiiiime

>dead
It's really crazy how many people believe this bullshit.

Just this year there was Grip, Dangerous Driving, Dirt Rally 2 (with yearly new game too), Crash Team Racing. And the year will continue with Grid and the new NFS.

Additionally recent games are Forza Horizon 4, Wreckfest, Project Cars 2, Gran Turismo Sport which is getting constant updates. And these are just the ones I personally like.

I swear all of you fucks claiming the racing genre is dead don't even want to race anymore, you just thought it was cool as a kid but then realized it's not for you but somehow you cling on to it with all your uninformed hate.

Yeah fuck you too. NFS 2015 is exactly what U2 fags wanted but OF COURSE IT WAS GOING TO BE SHIT BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT U2 WAS BACK IN THE DAY, YOU WERE JUST KIDS AND DIDN'T REALIZE IT THEN. And the same thing will happen with the new NFS, 100% pandering to the U2 crowd but they will never be satisfied because they're not kids anymore.

>FH4
>GT Sport and FM7 kinda
>Those rally games are supposed to be good
>F1 games are ok
>new GRID looks like it'll be fun

>NFS 2015 is exactly what U2 fags wanted
Wrong

>NFS 2015
>remotely Comparing it to U2 because it has some tuning stuff

kys faggot

>always online game is what people wanted
no

Keep the delusion going guys, have a good one.

Maybe its because people want more street racing games if anything. You don't see them that often anymore so thats why people prefer racing games like NFSU, Most Wanted, or Midnight Club.

not exactly recent but Burnout Paradise. Got it for 5 bucks on the recent PSN sale and I had lots of fun with it

Also I recently replayed U2 and liked it despite the shitty acting and really dated customization. I tried playing 2015 but I dropped it halfway through

I unironically liked Need for Speed: The Run. The QTE stuff was whatever, but the races and locales were awesome. Great soundtrack, too.

Genres been dead since the op picture
Nfsu3 when?

Ease up a little bit
'cause I WANT TO WANT YOU

Attached: 457836_1359312131465_500_280.jpg (499x280, 16K)

>racing sims
I want arcade racers to make a comeback

>underground zoomies ITT
NFS died in 2002.

>NFS 2015 is exactly what U2 fags wanted
2015 had shitty Burnout-lite physics, brake to drift with automatic counter steer, gimped customization with many cars having zero exterior options, and a police system inferior to NFS games that came out a decade earlier. fuck off

the new Hot Pursuit was good, but not a good nfs game.
and always online plus lootboxes killed nfs

>simfags have now sims on pair with the ones used by racing teams and the hardware to simulate it very good, including VR
>simcadefags have their gran autismo and ferza to feel like they know how to drive or do an LS1 swap on a prius
>casualfags have mario kart to have fun

I know what you mean, but the genre isnt dead, the street racing was considered something bad so that sub-genre in particular is dead.

Attached: 1427076851574.jpg (1400x823, 220K)

Grid

forza horizon has been amazing since it came out like 8 years ago. horizon 4 is the best racer i've played in 2 gens. the game is so good in so many ways but its recognition is held back by the slump of the xbox brand this gen.

True

I recently tried playing Forza Horizon 4 and it just wasn't fun. I can't even explain why, maybe I'm just a jaded boomer now. Game looks nice, shitton of cars and customization options. I would have loved this as a kid for sure.

WHOA BLACK BETTY
BAM A LAM

Horizon 4 has street racing featured prominently and almost every single event takes place on the streets, not on a track. It has a shit ton of cars, a shit ton of customization options (You can even "Engine Swap" every fucking car), and a pretty interesting weather mechanic. It's out on PC, not just Xbox so there's pretty much no reason not to grab it. I wouldn't call it simcade, it's very clearly arcade lol

>the game is so good in so many ways but its recognition is held back by the slump of the xbox brand this gen.
and don't forget the zoomer lootbox bullshit

>it's very clearly arcade
The tons of sliders and knobs you can tune a car with (and eventually have to) clearly speak against it being an arcade game.

>no reason not to grab it
As I see it the game being Windows 10 Store exclusive might as well mean not on PC at all for a lot of people.

are you saying fh4 has lootboxes? (it doesn't)

or are you saying they want lootboxes and the game not having it has effected its recognition?

>As I see it the game being Windows 10 Store exclusive might as well mean not on PC at all for a lot of people.
most gamers are on windows 10 if steam hardware survey is anything to go by. even if it isn't super accurate it still provides us with a ballpark idea for how many people are can access and play this game. you don't even have to use windows store to play it. they released a separate dedicated xbox app for the sole reason of people complaining about win10 store. i have the game with gamepass for a year and it's probably the best optimised game i've ever played. 1080p complete ultra across the board, 2xmsaa and i still average over 100 fps with a 1070 and 5 year old xeon.

Racing games started falling out of popularity as soon as street racing was no longer cool for normies. It became cool in the early 00s thanks to the massive success of the fast and furious films. Those films are still successful nowadays but they're massively overshadowed by capeshit.

The original GRID gave the genre some small hope of popularity and the simcades in general go for a more "sports game" approach where they show a real sport with simplified gameplay in hopes of grabbing the masses.

If the equivalent of Underground 2 came out today(and it arguably even did with NFs 2015) it wouldn't be nearly as popular. People forget that even U2 was filled with stupid crap like mandatory ricing and fucking SUV races and both it and especially Most Wanted were a buggy mess. But they came out at the right time when normie teens thought street racing was the coolest shit.

TO THE WINDOW

Being on Windows 10 doesn't mean you're willing to support UWP garbage.

I've been loving Forza Horizon 4, well worth trying if you have windows 10, just get two months of the xbox pass for £2. There doesn't seem to be anything good on steam unfortunately.

Just because you have very detailed tuning doesn't mean the physics aren't arcadey as fuck. Even something like GRID: Autosport has more realistic physics.

Are there any decent sims with a bunch of 70s/80s cars? I just want to drive nice cars around while listening to music. FH4 is the closest I can get to that, but like you said I'd prefer something with slightly better physics.

GRID killed the simcade genre, TOCA games were great

Replayed TOCA race driver 2 recently and my fucking god does it not age well.
The AI act like a literal train, if you bump them while exiting a corner you see them slow down as they lose traction then gain ludicrous speed as they race back into their preset pack position. It's really jarring and really annoying. The lack of a difficulty slider also means you're going to be lapping much faster than them but it's OK because all races are like 2-5 laps only. There's no practice or qualifying so you'll be going into new tracks completely blind.

GRID: Autosport is honestly much better, especially on 2-3x race distance and "very hard" AI.

there's literally nothing wrong with forza. by playing forza you aren't "supporting" UWP. microsoft has abandoned it for games and even the upcoming gears 5 next week is win32 even on windows store.

rFacator 2 has a bunch of shit through mods and add-ons, I guess you could try that. If you want a relaxing ride pick historic Spa and just cruise around.

Nneat. Might pick up FH4 on a sale then if Microsoft is truly done pushing UWP.

I wouldn't call it good as I don't enjoy racing with weapons too much and I much rather league formats to playing race by race to unlock the next track, but if you have the chance to try Wipeout in VR, do it.

There will be one and it's called need for speed heat, pre order right now

I worded it wrong, what i mean with "street racing" is the midnight club - steer legal racing - need for speed underground kind of street racing.
Start with an econobox with a 2 stoke engine, race some kids, gain reputation on a club, become a member buy a better ride or improve what you have, become the leader and race against other clubs.
Horizon is not entirely about that, its just an event without context or anything, and nfs went to the other side making a story focus-driven game with burnout gameplay mechanics.
At this point need for speed is literally like fifa, same shit with a new roster each year, literally payback all over again.

GT Sport actually has a lot if historic cars and race cars

I'm a huge fan of the classic NFS games. For me NFS died when EA Canada (formerly Distinctive Software) stopped making them.

This. NFS 6 was so-so. And I never really cared about the tuning stuff.

Attached: screenshot_007_1024x768.jpg (1024x768, 219K)

Take your dose user.

Attached: dailydose.webm (640x480, 2.4M)

no, actual racing teams build their own sims using frameworks like rfactor pro or have a sim made custom for them
simdads play modded ac or rfactor2
they may have a realistic engine but those shitty russian modded cars aren't based on real data so the simulation is pretty much worthless
the F1 games may have simple physics but they're much more accurate than shitty assetto corsa mods since they're made with data from F1 teams and pirelli tyre

the best single player racer right now is F1 2019 but americans don't like F1

Seeing how shit like your pic is unironically considering by many as the best arcade racer, its good that the genre died. Fuck ricer-NFSfags.

>it arguably even did with NFs 2015
Yeah with onlnie only bullshit, really bad and lackluster car selection, god damn worse driving and handling than a decade old game with the cheesiness thrown out in place of ''we are totally giving a shit writing this stuff''
You can't be worse in all aspects and also offer a worse business model and expect to succeed

>maybe people liked using cars they had or could see around the block everyday
>maybe they just liked to see actual improvements in your car selection as you won races throughout the game
>naah, they want 5 different lambos and 10 ferraris, fuck every other brand
>b-but sir
>Shut up Jimbo
Fuck you and fuck your marker
There's already other games with your pretty sports cars, why claim you are making a game for people who played Underground and Most wanted and just put all these shit in them instead

NFS 2015's physics are 100% way worse than U2's. The level of robo-drive in that game is absurd.

I remember every music track from this game, almost 15 years later.

imagine thinking underground 2 is good in 2019
the only people who wont shut the fuck up about ug2 are kids whos mommy only bought them a ps4 so they have no way of replaying it to see how shit it is

who the fuck actually had a skyline or a tureno or a supra

Not a simdad but i do play Rfactor 2 with a wheel and i agree, the game itself requires a shit ton of telemetry data from the tyres to be accurate.
What they do in rf2 mods is using the data from the official marrusia 2012 wich has legit data and do slight modifications, but that only works for modern F1 cars, not historicals or other categories like LMP1 but they do have official GT cars aswell to take the data from, after that is true guess.
Dunno if they do something similar in assetto corsa with the official GT cars they have.

I have both cases, F1 with accurate data or league version (all cars are the same and simplified) and also street cars with unrealistic levels of grip, its a shame that isnt a standard on those nowdays.
Problem is that simracing mods suffered the paid mods fiasco way before the rest of the games did.
In comparison to rf1, 2 is almost dead in that regard.

Attached: chad overtake.webm (1600x900, 1.49M)

I have a playlist of all the songs from this game, and sometimes I drive around at night listening to it. It's such a fun trip.

You did get it for free of humble bundle, right?

Attached: Vroom.jpg (1280x720, 167K)

NFS Heat might unironically be good.

>real car game
>real car game
>real car game
>rerelease of an actually good racing game
>real car game
>real car game
>real car game
>real car game

fuck you and your shit taste. Where's F-Zero? Where's Pod Racer? Where's Kinetica? Where is literally any interesting racing game?
Fuck real cars and fuck people who spend money making games about driving regular ass cars and fuck people who spend money to play games about driving regular ass cars.

Fuck off.

Are you retarded? Not one of those games has even remotely similar handling models. The gameplay in each is completely different. None of them have any pretence of muh realistic driving.

there hasn't been a good racing game since Sonic And Sega All Star Racing Transformed
and before that there hadn't been one since fucking F-Zero GX

Get gud

>tfw there will never be another game with such a huge amount of body parts to customise as the two Undergrounds
Sure now there's a lot of freedom regarding liveries, but as far as body parts go there's like two-three options only for each car.

He's seething because he doesn't want to race actual cars, not because of the gameplay mechanics.

I unironically like nfs2015.
If they removed the always online thing, fixed the Ai so they don't just demo derby you, and reworked the handling a little so there was a definite difference between drift and grip set ups (that wasn't just understeering 24/7 for grip) the game would be the best nfs since underground.
As it is, I really liked the cheesy fmvs (way better than whatever the fuck that was in payback) and the general silly vibe of it all, and the customisation was great.
If heat is like it but fixes the flaws of 2015 it'll be awesome.

Wreckfest is also great, but unfortunately not enough like flatout 2 for my tastes.

Then he's retarded. How the game plays is way more important than what coat of paint it wears. I don't care for sims or simcades either, but getting butthurt just because a racing game contains a car is retarded.

Anyone that says FH4 is a good game is an idiot. I love certain parts of it but it doesn't make it good. The bad outweighs the good

Been playing the first Horizon. So much freedom and they give you so many credits just for aimlessly driving around. I ended up upgrading my starting vehicles so that they were above the class limit for the only available races. So I just drove around and challenged other drivers and racked up enough credits to buy more cars and upgrade them to the point where they'd be in the right class. Still a pain in the ass because there's so many restrictions even for the early races.

Underground 2 was a the better game but Underground 1 had the better soundtrack.

Attached: BRR DUM DUM DUM.jpg (1280x720, 184K)

fuck off
Underground ruined NFS

Was the customization as good as Underground 2? Was the soundtrack as good as Underground 2? Was the variety as good as Underground 2? Was the atmosphere as good as Underground 2? If not, then shut the fuck up and stop being a shill.

dirt rally is free on humble bundle at the moment, it's hard but really good, i'm getting used to it sort of

>tfw I keep picking up all these free games on Steam but I literally don't have what to play them on because I have a 6 year old laptop with 4 gigs RAM and a GPU that gets throttled from heat in 2 minutes if I try to play anything

Dirt Rally is a boring sim that requires a wheel

I'M STILL FUCKING MAD
youtube.com/watch?v=x_kvZPW6yFc
youtube.com/watch?v=VzuN_RUddl4

Attached: NFS MW2.png (822x590, 147K)

LET'S GO LET'S GO YOU SCARED YOU SCARED

I didn't know about this and now I'm fucking mad as well.
Thank you.

It's fine with a controller

>The tons of sliders and knobs you can tune a car with (and eventually have to) clearly speak against it being an arcade game.
That stuff was in NFS Underground 2 and Most Wanted as well.

the body parts in Underground 2 looked like complete dog shit, i'd rather have fewer that look good than the absolute botched surgery looking mess that the two Undergrounds had to offer

All of Ghost Games' NFS games were irredeemably garbage, what makes you think this one won't be?

This hit me harder than when I found out about Blur 2 getting cancelled.

Attached: 1548459944511.gif (265x282, 2.04M)

Anyone would be hard pressed to find a game that isn't fucking stale or a cash-in fom all the titles you listed.

Attached: 1559176561827.jpg (644x650, 148K)

I hate mw2012 with a burning passion user, thank you for feeding my fire.

You ever play BallisticNG?

Attached: 1544036361348.jpg (313x318, 24K)

>have to buy the game twice on the oculus store to play it in VR
codemasters are a bunch of kikes, set your bar low for the new grip coming out soon

Attached: 13e362d442d4d8fc8079100559999143.png (636x680, 167K)

holy fuck this looks terribly bad, im glad they cancelled it
when will you underage nostalgic fags understand cop chasing shit is done? no one wants this but you
WHAT WE REALLY NEED IS PRO STREET 2 fucking retards

You can do either in Heat.

That's fucking ridiculous.

lmao, heat wishes it had pro street's desing, gameplay and driving mechanics

it was the one main complaint people used to make towards 2015 you idiot, THE COPS WERE TOO FUCKING EASY TO AVOID

>nfs heat
>magic cars that bash through everything on the road
>Jewish pay to skip gameplay DLC
>pay to win DLC cars

Yeah no

>want to rice out a Honda
>want to make a lifted dude bro truck
>want to turn a mini van into a track killer
>want to see my own car somewhere in the roster

Dude what if we like put ferraris and lambos to street race that's what the young folk want these days

>EA cancelling projects that require time and effort in order to push get rich quick video games

Honestly is anyone surprised

reminder that everyone who complains about simcades is a babby that plays in automatic

it it even worth downloading though

best rally game in years desu

The first game had a better soundtrack.

TO THE WINDOW

I started with MW and whenever I look at UG2 all I can think is how it's a complete downgrade compared to MW and Carbon. Do people obsess over it just because of nostalgia and because of it's style? Everything else is completely inferior and the style is subjective

I'm looking forward to the HD mod from the Underground 1 Redux author for U2.

Attached: Underground 1.webm (800x450, 2.95M)

Car handling was different
Had different customization options
Car selection
Generally better level design
Not actually having to change your car as long as you upgraded it
And yeah everyone preferred night for obvious reasons

Forgot to say different modes as well but it's generally just opinion considering both games have a lot of pros to them
>it's been two years since the guy said he was doing one for U2
>still no news
It's dead, Jim

I went back and played it again recently. It doesn't hold up very well.

zzz
>Had different customization options
Carbon trumps any of the customization
>Car selection
The only thing I notice is that UG2 is mostly tuner style cars. Doesn't seem superior or anything.

Other stuff I can't really tell without playing it myself.

I just watched an interview with him from january, he's still working on it, it's called Last Exodus.

burnout paradise was my last real fun

Attached: 0712290142169-media.jpg (1000x563, 602K)

DARARUM-DUM-DUM

I still feel like arcade street racing games have a lot of untapped potential. NFS Heat looks good but I don't think it's quite there.

What i'd fucking do to get a new Midnight Club with a big budget, long development cycle, and not filled with microtransactions which is what rockstar would likely shove in everywhere if a new one was made.

>Carbon trumps any of the customization
But carbon sucks thanks to the dumb partner system fucking every single race
There's still no mod to remove that, right?
And the key word was ''different'', user
You could customize lots of different stuff, not saying it had the most options or was the best

>Last Exodus
The fuck is with that name
Searching Last exodus NFS also doesnt turn up anything english, you got a link?

All I want is a game that combines the loadsacars collection aspect of GT/Forza with an interesting career mode and racing actually worth a shit. As far as I'm aware, this game doesn't yet exist.

it's in russian though
youtube.com/watch?v=zM91wupO9HA

Attached: 1.jpg (650x368, 104K)

This, except with dumb ricer options and a fun driving model
Was really fun to drive around but it was a prime example why not having any coherent level design sucked dick
Mountain area was really nice

I've liked Wreckfest a lot, but it got a big new update and many people have complained that they messed with the handling and damage and that it's now shit. Haven't played the new version yet so haven't formed my own opinion on it, but have any anons tried the new update out? Is it as bad as some people say? Or is it just fuss about nothing? Or some good, some bad?

Forza 4 got cracked recently on PC.

It was always cracked but required a really fucking annoying workaround and had a chance of not working + had none of the updates in
Shit, any ruskieanons to translate important bits?Any idea when it'll release?

That's the thing, user. I literally grew up with the original need for speed series, starting with the first game,and they were fantastic. And I really didn't hate underground. I sincerely wish you guys wouldn't just lump all bad kids in with a duology of games because they weren't what you wanted. People are not all going to think exactly the same as you, and we really shouldn't hate them for that. The only people you'd have reason to maybe take down a peg is underground PURISTS who say the originals were crap. But I like both, it shouldn't be a crime, should it? I hope you understand what I'm talking about, I'm not gonna take sides for a good reason, I have fond memories with all the old games.

Attached: 36186-menu-Need-for-Speed-III-Hot-Pursuit.jpg (640x480, 57K)

I have played it long before the update and really hated it since hitting other cars is punished harshly.
It encourages you to drive as "clean" as possible because they removed the nitro mechanic for causing carnage from the Flatout games.
Even in destruction derbys the best strategy is avid any contact for as long as possible and just wait until everybody else has kill himself.

Well, now you don't need any of that shit and it has all the DLC. Been enjoying it the past week.

I'm too lazy.
Supposed release is at the end of this year oct/nov, but a vid from today suggests that he has made some longer breaks so probably next year.

Why do retards think racing games need rubberbanding AI when MC3 is one of the most difficult, skill based arcade street racers that has 0 rubberbanding?

Yeah, the damage model they've had so far hasn't made any sense in the destruction derbies. It really is more about just surviving and then landing finishing blows, and it's not very enticing gameplay.
But when it comes to actual races, I like the cleaner racing much much more. You can have a bit of contact and side slamming going on, but go overboard with it and you'll fuck up your vehicle.
It definitely isn't Flatout, and while I liked those games a lot, I'm more into just regular racing rather than cheeky PIT maneuvering or straight up murder-slamming the opponents. So I'm a bit sad if they've changed the handling and damage from what they have been so far.

Kinda sad but hopeful, thanks user

Attached: 412631.jpg (1000x664, 135K)

Burnout 3

Also fuck """"car guys"""", they're the most boring fucking pieces of shit on the planet

>he enjoys star wars

Did you come into the wrong thread lad?

post he replied to mentioned pod racer

Oh didn't see that, I just really fucking hate car guys

why
what did they do to you

Bore me to death and never talk about anything else

that's their problem for being such dull bastards that they have no other interests

Why did Gran Turismo 5 and 6 age so poorly? They looked great back in the day (at least the premium models/tracks) but now it just looks uncanny.

Attached: gran-turismo-6-1069865.jpg (900x506, 106K)

Funny because I keep going back to it every now and then.

Overrated piece of shit

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 295K)

>racing game
>story
what could possibly go wrong

Attached: 1555245965429.jpg (419x280, 75K)

kys

I AM ROCK

Repetitive-ass piss filter rubberbandfest.
Only good thing about it is the cop chases, which are bugged to hell and back.

Attached: 1535037163685.jpg (640x632, 212K)

you can remove the piss filter on pc (you don't even need mods), it doesn't fix the repetitiveness but it's something I guess

The damage is already done and the aesthetics (along with the below average song selection) are very subpar compared to Underground 1, Underground 2, Carbon, Pro Street.

yeah fair enough, I also agree that the soundtrack can go fuck itself

beisd and redpilde

Attached: 1535037753132.jpg (222x203, 19K)

I miss when nfs had a heavy emphasis on classic techno

kys
kys
kys
kys

that post is almost as repetitive as most wanted

> oh, you want to race?
> here, have a boring track and the same boring supercars that have almost no styling difference
yeah, i wonder why there's no decent racing games that are popular right now

The best thing about need for speed underground was that it kept the laptimes updating in real fucking time.

Fuck checkpoints that was the coolest fucking feature. It seems so simple but that window added so much pressure.

heres a nitro boost so you can catch up after you fuck up literally every single corner.

Is this game any good? It looks fairly interesting.

Attached: 327224-trackmania-turbo-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg (800x800, 172K)

Yes, it's really fun with well designed levels and tons of community content. Multiplayer is pretty good too.

> here's 20 miles of uniform track with a curve every now and then
> here's your Lamborgini Generico and Bugatti Comum, have fun

Why does everyone ape the Forza Horizon formula when it's not even fun to play?

if you haven't played the previous trackmania games before it then yes, its pretty good. it left a bad taste for experienced players though

top tier aesthetic and soundtrack, but lacks the community content aspect that makes TM so good

i blame midtown madness, it was on consoles and it was too damn fun.

carmageddon did open world exploring better than fucking forza horizon does

That evolved into Midnight Club and it was fucking tight though

Attached: 1567027967848.png (253x293, 163K)

Nobody likes F1.

>that big fucking mess of roadblocks at the interstate in the first video
NOW I'M MAD TOO

Midnight Club 2 is really good.

Attached: farid.png (421x370, 269K)

>prime example why not having any coherent level design
Agreed. Played this recently. It was so aimless and pretty bland in its presentation.