Has there ever been an instance of publishers handing off legendary IPs to literal nobodies just because they'll work...

Has there ever been an instance of publishers handing off legendary IPs to literal nobodies just because they'll work cheap ever panning out? To my knowledge the games either flop completely or die slow and painful deaths til they inevitably shrivel up and die

Attached: 240134-silent-hill-downpour-xbox-360-front-cover.jpg (800x1136, 195K)

Downpour was alright

Why is this game so fucking rare and expensive? I want to play it on back compatibility but it's only available physically

Because obviously nobody bought it

It really was; it wasn't good but it felt like a step in the right direction for Silent Hill, even more than what Origins and Homecoming were about.

Every single SH game post 4.

Downpour was a pathetic rock bottom of embarrassment. People love to bash HC for no reason, when DP does every single fucking thing worse.
Only the BoM was worse shit than this.

there was a time were Capcom went full retard and gave some of thier IPs to western developers. DMC, Dead Rising, Lost Planet and Bionic Commando comes to mind. I know DmC didnt flop but idk about the others.

>Has there ever been an instance of publishers handing off legendary IPs to literal nobodies just because they'll work cheap ever panning out?
Reminder that pretty much the entire Japanese games industry consists of literal nobodies.

>Lost Planet
Lost Planet 3 is the only well written Lost Planet game. Was penned by people behind the original Deus Ex, and the new God of War. Ended up nominated for a prestigious writing award, but lost out to TLOU.

>Downpour was a pathetic rock bottom of embarrassment.
Can't really agree there. The game's atmosphere is amazing. The writing is pretty good. The world design is solid. It's like a proto-TEW2.

Dead Rising 2 was pretty good

If it wasn't SH and the "take shelter" mechanic was a bigger focus of the game, I would have liked it more; rain is my fetish.

I think companies do it specifically to slow kill aging IP's. They probably figured years ago that Silent Hill peaked and decided to cheap out by handing it off to western shit developers to minimize costs some more and they also wouldn't have to deal with them as much like they would Team Silent.

Pic not related? Silent Hill was on its last legs with SH3, and SH4 was the nail in the coffin. Konami were cheapskates, but Climax managed to successfully revive the series for a few years.

>Be Murphy
>Kill pedophile that killed your son
>Get sucked into Silent Hill

>hurr if you kill him...
I thought that was a Japanese thing? Why is Eddie Murphy the boogieman for avenging his son?

Played like ass compared to the first two games though so who cares. I've never seen a series have a bigger identity crisis than Capcom trying to figure out how to follow up Lost Planet.

IIRC, it isn't Murphy's Silent Hill. It's Anne's. A lot of people don't know this, but Downpour was supposed to be a co-op game where one player controlled Murphy and the other controlled Anne. The final game is what's left after this was scrapped due to time constraints. It's a pity that the developers get blamed for so many issues that boil down to "Konami were skinflints who wouldn't give them a larger budget and wouldn't push back the release date."

at that point it was already gone
nevertheless it was really fucking embarassing and made by people who will never in their life understand what made Silent Hill 1-3 and partially 4 so great

He's the boogeyman to Ann because she blames him for her dad being crippled

Ah jeez, I forgot she's the one who saw him as the boogieman; how embarrassing.

>Has there ever been an instance of publishers handing off legendary IPs to literal nobodies just because they'll work cheap ever panning out?
The Witcher.

Nobody knows who is making the new Silent Hill, so I guess we'll have to see.