Why arn't you working on your game Yea Forums?

Why arn't you working on your game Yea Forums?

Attached: 1450343262600.png (890x400, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

megamanroyale.com
youtube.com/watch?v=hBXHpBEiNok
schoolofhaskell.com/user/fumieval/encoding-objects
youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6MZqhjt84
twitter.com/STANN_co/status/1148380488006066176?s=20
source.android.com/setup/contribute/report-bugs
youtube.com/watch?v=xTqzeMSBYFA
youtube.com/watch?v=FVtYdRUEJtE
youtube.com/watch?v=I9IrWbjcqc0
twitter.com/crowns_dev
youtube.com/watch?v=l6GVecXTuqk
store.steampowered.com/app/1149860/Arsenal_Demon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no i have a job that pays actual money

if i'd make a game it would be so high taste 2deep4u that all you insects wouldn't appreciate it anyway, so for this reason i'd rather consume products than produce them

too busy with wow classic

Too tired and I hit the "mechanics done time for content and art" wall

Take home work.

Attached: 1522587911196.jpg (584x530, 216K)

>Why arn't you working on your game Yea Forums?
I did back-end web and app development as my first job out of high school and I burned out so hard on programming that I will never be able to do that kind of work again.

In fact I worked for a while on a volunteer project several years later digitising 100 year old weather maps and had to quit the project completely after writing a little accordion menu system for their gallery because I couldn't sleep at all in the days following due to the stress.

I am.

oh?

Attached: 1559699056189m.jpg (1024x974, 65K)

My laptop keyboard broke so I'm pretty much locked out of Blender for now

I'm trying to get that pixelated feel

Attached: ps1.png (1887x1015, 1.45M)

Attached: godot.png (600x600, 25K)

I'm planning to make a Persona-type dungeon crawling game. First I'll make a prototype and then hopefully attract some other people who'll want to work with me.

Would Unity work for this? I have a little experience with Gamemaker, it'd be easiest to make a prototype on it but we'd eventually move onto Unity or some other 3D engine because wandering dungeons would feel so much better in 3D.

I don't have a computer

Because I don't have any idea for a simple game I can create on my own. All my ideas are way too ambitious for a first project, and just doing trying stuff randomly with no goal isn't motivating enough for me.

Wanna help anons?

did map transitions and overworld enemies recently. Still need to do a lot of graphics work for it though.

Attached: 2019-0506.webm (320x180, 1.26M)

what game?

Looks good. The color palette is somewhat unimpressive. How about trying more wild colors and contrast a la Earthbound or going darker/rustier etc. if you're going for post-apoc/Eastern bloc setting?

t. artist

Oh shit you're the Mother Russia guy, I was wondering what happened to you.

>tfw no idea to make or time either
How to make games with 30 minutes to an hour of free time a day?

My plan is to make a platformer, so I'm stuck on how to make the controls and physics feel tight

I don't really have a game I'm just endlessly practicing 3D modelling/art until I get good. Pic related, these are some misc materials I've made in Substance Designer during the last month

I like it, feels old school without looking like the usual "hey i reduced the resolution and added some PSX style vertex displacement & did no effort beyond that"

I have that same issue, I try to practice having smaller scope by doing jams but it's not really working.

Attached: materials 31-8-19.jpg (4265x2852, 3.06M)

How do I get good at materials like you? Also is there a way to make them all match up? In Unreal, the free assets sometimes feel disorienting and not together.

>How do I get good at materials like you?
There are no secrets, you make them and watch breakdowns on 80.lv or artstation to learn some new practices. Also study pre-made materials and photogrammetry results, it's more intuitive to see each map & try to replicate that than trying to do that from a finished result.
I insist on practice, I've been doing this for half a year on and off which according to my tracker is roughly 62 hours.
>Also is there a way to make them all match up? In Unreal, the free assets sometimes feel disorienting and not together.
You can open up the textures and mess around with some of the brightness, saturation sliders for the albedo and roughness/AO if they're not packed. Beyond that you're gonna need to open them up in an image editor for some more intricate editing.

Attached: GiveUp.png (795x250, 35K)

This. It really gets to you if you're thrown at enough shit enough times for it to stick. I just barely got back in the mood to do little toy projects and programming challenges after failing a job hunt for the better part of a year. I'd snap if I had to do anything under any pressure and likely stab the nearest person out of frustration and spite.

I also really suck, so that helps. ;)

What a retard. I put the Steam link in my resume and my interviewer was absolutely fascinated by how I managed to make it. It's fun interview fluff for progammer positions.

I have an idea its a 3d arena fighter where the camera is behind the player sorta like the gow. It also has items for each character, I can go into more details about if someone's intrested

>make a shit game and nobody likes it
wow who could have seen that coming

My game has more than 4k downloads and I literally never marketed it, it doesn't even have any content yet
Maybe wojakposter should make something better than an asset flip

>talks about asset flipping when he only got 4k downloads and not 4k sales
Imagine being this guy.

just make a not shit game, then people will play it

I've got some work to do and I'm helping a friend with an Android app.
Also, I have my hand on my dick right now

Sales are N/A, revenue stream is Patreon and it makes a few hundred each month while I do nothing

>4k downloads
>few hundred patreon each month
yeah those figures don't add up

It's not entirely impossible.

Attached: Screenshot_20190831-051502.jpg (603x209, 21K)

Too busy trying to find a non-ass way to version control game files. Literally every option is bad.

How much of that goes to tax?

where is downloads on that picture?

>3 years
Dumbass

what's wrong with git

working on rush jet for mega man royale
shameless plug to megamanroyale.com

Attached: 2V14ibSWQT.webm (1680x720, 2.17M)

Git is terrible at handling assets. The "proper" way of doing it basically just turns it in to a less-good svn.

It's been a while since I've made much progress on it.

Attached: FreeCamera.webm (1240x728, 2.74M)

tried git lfs?

>The "proper" way of doing it basically just turns it in to a less-good svn.
Yes.

I know that feeling
I have some busted freeware application that zips up my gamedev folder and copies it to dropbox a few times a week

maybe wait until git makes it an official standard, I'm sure it'll improve then

your guy is trailing behind the platforms he's on

I hope you are doing good.
I tried when it was out but I was never a big fan of megaman so kinda lost interest-

>it makes a few hundred each month while I do nothing
Whats the game?

Summer was hell on my main job so little progress sadly.
With each passing month I'm more and more thinking of just going fuck it and dedicate 100% to gamedev with early access.

Attached: 000001.jpg (1918x888, 370K)

>OMG GUYS I SUCKED AT SOMETHING FOR 3 MONTH I HAVE A BURN OUT PLEASE PITY MEEEEEEE
You didn't burn out, you were just incompetent

Depends of the state/country.

Only retards

imagine making videogames in today's climate, spending years only to average out at 25k on steam

what a fucking waste of time lmao
unless you're making something really different, don't even bother

howmany pixelshit metroidvanias do people need to play?

What makes good level design?

I'm curious, any videos ?

it cannot be explained
you just have to play doom 1 and mario 64 until you soak up the design principles

nice. how do you go on getting these sort of textures?

youtube.com/watch?v=hBXHpBEiNok

>2K sales
>For a first time game from a nobody.

this looks pretty dope man.
I'm not sure about it's commercial success, but I hope you finish it and have success.

I want to, but I have absolutely no idea how to get through the process of even using something like RPG maker.

Its not even an issue of I'm just an idea guy. I can sit down with a notebook, plan out the entire scenerio, write every bit of dialogue, work out the map through gridding but just making it happen programming wise is hard.

I'm still trying. My Desktop got wiped so I have to start over again but I want to make at least a small miniature demo. Just to get something down.

Been a long time since i used Godot.
Do it still uses the python like language and C++ only?
I wish it used an OO oriented like Unity or true python instead of the abomination. Learning a language just for a specific framework is just a no no.

I'm looking forward to this game, do you have an itch.io or somewhere I can follow the development?

There are a lot or components to it, which you have to focus on depends on your game's style. Not just genre but how you want the player to feel. If you are making a single playthrough action game the key is good telegraphing, discrete understandable challenges with clear solutions, variety, cinematic pacing with quiet time, and so on. If you are making an intense game meant for mastery then you must prioritize depth (solutions wont be clear), flow, cut out needless downtime, balance, etc. Nonlinearity and story elements complicate this further.

I'm thinking of just dropping it on early access for free and then slowly building it into what I want it to be

Attached: 000002.jpg (1912x909, 382K)

Because I just moved to a new country and my PC is still being shipped.
All I own now is a Nintendo Switch, a Chromebook, and a PS4.

Attached: It's_All_So_Tiresome.png (1022x731, 643K)

>I wish it used an OO oriented like Unity
Unity is not OO, it's a (very rudimentary) CES paradigm.

>we're loosing men!
It's "losing", from "to lose". "To loose" is another word entirely. Other than that, I really like the style.

Bad idea. People don't care what you want it to be, this unfinished mess will forever be associated with your game, even if you manage to finish it.

Hey thanks I'll fix it, English is not my native

you're both right, it is component/entity but you can structure your components like regular classes

heck you can bypass all the C# and use hooks to use pure OO C++ code

No please don't, I remember trying a game I pirated which turned out to be unfinished early access cashgrab half way through, it shed a very bad light on the developers in my eyes

I was refering to the language Unity uses, C#, which is multiparadigm but OO oriented.
It just making code easier to organize and plan.

Working on getting a publisher/funding.

Fair enough, but I'm not sure I agree with OO being easier to organize and plan. To each their own I guess.

What's so bad about FREE early access - it's not like people spend money on it - they try and if they care enough they give their opinion.

Let's not confuse Design Patterns with paradigms. CES is a software design choice. OO is a programming language paradigm.

i'm not a wagecuck, i play games not slave away on them.

So "wagecuck" is a catch all term applied to anyone who does anything creative and productive now?

>OO is a programming language paradigm.
That's where you're wrong. I can use OO with literally any programming language. C can be used with OOP, Common Lisp can be used with OOP, etc. There's nothing intrinsically special about OOP languages. C#/Java facilitates the OOP approach (deep data hierarchy structure, subclassing, inheritance, separation of concerns, etc) but it's just another paradigm. CES, similarly, is also a programming paradigm that favors very flat and horizontal hierarchies over vertical "deep" ones. Composition over inheritance.

I am, new enemy. Still need to make the ball in the middle shoot lazers at the player, other then that its almost there to starting testing in actual levels.

Attached: newenemy.webm (500x360, 1.82M)

Doesn't matter if it's free - it creates a public perception of your game. Even if you completely rework it later people will remember the first thing they saw and consider it your original vision.

don't listen to these fucks. If you feel the need to get some feedback from a thing you've been working on, make a fucking demo. You're good at it, it wont be your only game you make. Don't let it eat you up.

>OO is a programming language paradigm
eh kinda, just because a language formally supports classes doesn't mean you have to use them
you can stick to functions only in C++ or javascript and use pure functional programming

and you can still recreate classes informally in C

Okay, aside from just googling how to start making a game, what are the best resources for someone who wants to start on designing a game?

Not really no. Trying to write an OO code in a language that wasnt conceived with that in mind is just either not possible or just a mess that just mimic aspects of it. Youre roght that it isnt tied to a language but how you program, but if the language doesnt give you the tools, it wont go far.
CES is a design pattern, which is just a code recipe that solves specific types of problems. It isnt related to languages at all. This is what you can mimic on most types of languages woth different paradigms. So you had it backwards there.

People will mistake it for the final product. I recommend you release a demo instead when you feel like you've made it playable enough. In the meantime, focus on building your audience through twitter or something like that.

yeah, I dont get it either
but then again most gamers are retards who drop a game if the framerate dips because the game has to load stuff in

and throw their controller if the physics glitch slightly, as if they could make a physics engine that is perfect

>Even if you completely rework it later people will remember the first thing they saw and consider it your original vision.

thats why you change the name of the game

This is how I know you're an undergrad

Attached: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (908x1000, 104K)

what engine is best for making a type of 2d final fantasy esque game?
i was gonna use gamemaker studio 2 but i dont want to spend money on somethin that is just for funs

I was trying to do everything at once, I realised that wouldnt work, now, I focused on the game features, when im done with that, i'm going to put everything together and try to get a game out of that.

I have no experience in any sort of programming. I don't have experience in realistically any part it would take to build a game. And the dream game idea I have requires way too much brain power for me to even consider solo developing it.

>People will mistake it for the final product
who cares if people are too dumb to know what a work in progress means

Because all I am is an idea guy with no work ethic.

I guess you, if you want people to play your game and give you feedback

try writing some OO stuff in haskell and see how far you get

He should care if he plans to make any money at all.

unity

Funny you mention Haskell, considering I code in it for a living.
schoolofhaskell.com/user/fumieval/encoding-objects Here you go.

Ad hominem, offcoure. We could have just agreed you got confused for a moment and settled this in a positive manner.

with the amount of zoomers wasting their lives in fortnite and minecraft
tell me which devs are going to make any money?
YOU SHOULD NOT EXPECT MONEY AT ALL

that's what people have been taught by the games industry
every time a dev shows "early pre-alpha" gameplay, that's exactly what the final game is like

tryna make some shit in godot, but i cant code so im doing all the art and animations

Who is going to put them together?

>I code in it for a living.
was it your choice to use the meme language or was it imposed?

>who is going to put them together
me, learning how to code cant be that hard, right?

its not that hard

Much easier than art, that's for sure.

I guess the safest bet is just releasing demos on itch.io as the need arises

Attached: 000003.jpg (1912x930, 443K)

I once was enthusiastic about, being the muh wanna make game type of kiddo. My first attempts were clusterfucks because I had no real knowledge. Then I realized that programming is this generation equivalent of being a worker around 1900: underpaid, overly exhausting and repetitive and not at all gratifying; code monkeys that just put together stuff that just werk will always beat carefully designed code because "you can always patch later" with more monkey code.
Now I do have the knowledge to build some game but again what's the purpose to waste tons of man hours just for? Indiegames market is overly saturated with rotting shit due to engines like unity becoming widespread.

I'll keep working as low level programmer, writing firmware for microcontroller where you cannot pretend the hardware can cover for shitcode; this is a place where code monkeys are afraid.

Really? I always thought code would be the harder thing

Can't tell if irony or legitimately brain damaged.

Writing shitty code anyone can do it. Write proper code: that's hard.

this is actually one of nintendo's excuses for not showing games until they're 1 year away from release
they say the dont want to give customers the wrong impression of the final product

but I fucking LOVE betas and seeing things evolve
look at all these N64 games before they finished them, some of it looks more interesting than the final...
youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6MZqhjt84

early feedback on a game can save you from going the wrong way for 2 years

The company that I work for uses it for some parts of our stack, so I pretty much have to use it. Not by choice, I really don't like it (the language is okay, the library ecosystem is cancerous to maintain though).

This. You don't actually have to write proper code for most games. When it comes to coding, I know that something's doable and I can learn how to do it even if I don't already know, but I have no idea what to do to make good art.

yup. that's my plan. keep it indie based, build a following and polish your skills and vision. This shitty industry is bound to implode on itself and down the line people are going to appreciate the games with actual integrity not a 50 million dollar cash grabbing machines.

I just started learning and I don't get this attitude. If the code does the thing it's supposed to than it's can't be shitty, right? Who cares about formatting.

I like coding. It's very satisfying seeing your logic take shape and work in action. Its frustrating sometimes but what work isnt.

> If the code does the thing it's supposed to than it's can't be shitty, right?
Just look at yandere simulator, shit code that sorta works but gives the game poor performance

>This shitty industry is bound to implode on itself and down the line people are going to appreciate the games with actual integrity not a 50 million dollar cash grabbing machines.
this
until that happens, don't expect recognition for anything you make whether it's good or not
zoomers only play what other zoomers are playing, they all tag along and play the same shit games

if a game as good as mario galaxy sold significantly less than that POS NSMB, what chance does anyone have with such a retarded audience? why even bother entertaining them?

Look up "Spaghetti code". Just because it works doesn't mean that the code is good. Writing flexible, well structured and well performing code is much harder.

If you build your code in a logical way, it's much easier to implement modifications in it and you are less likely to abandon your project due to not being able to follow what is doing what. If your code is very bad, then it impacts performance, but that depends on what kind of game you are making; it matters less with less resource-intensive games.

>formatting
That's not the definition of shitty code user, I'll give you an example: I'm working an a piece of software right now that manages AC machinery and my job is to refactorize it. While studying the damn thing I came across something like this

case 20: if (celsius) print("20"); else print("68"); break;

now I'm boiling down a lot but you get the idea. Rinse and repeat for about 30 other temperature settings and you get: shitty code. It just werks, you're right but if you write cute project with only a few files it's a thing, when machinery is controlled and you got limited resourses for doing so... well it's another business, the reason why I'm now fixing this clusterfuck.

I have the perfect triple AAA rpg fps finished in my head.

A real game changer.

I need one of you tech guys to code it and make it for me.

I'll give you 15% stake in the final product.

there's doing the thing...

and there's doing the thing efficiently in a way that lets you easily modify or reuse later in other projects without rewriting it from scratch, and writing it clearly enough that other people can follow wtf your code does in case you bring other people in to work on it

it just depends how serious you are and what you want to make, but for most cases, shitty code is fine for a game

I have a big feeling that telltale's games had dogshit code since those games ran really badly for something so so so simple

the game might work, but runs like shit

Google engineer here who has also worked in the gamedev industry in the past. Let me explain it to you like none of these other shiposters can.

"Shitty" code can refer to multiple things:
1) Code that performs poorly: basically you're not using the most "optimal" way (speed-wise) to achieve a goal. In a system like a game where framerate is important, you can see why this is important.
2) Code that is hard to read: anything that uses convoluted logic, poor naming conventions, abstract names that don't map to an easy-to-understand mental model, lack of documentation, etc. This is very troublesome if later you want to go back to a piece of code to fix bugs or implement new features, or if you're working with other people.
3) Code that is not tested: testing is extremely important both to verify that the *current* code you wrote doesn't have (obvious) bugs, but also in the future if someone else (or you yourself) change something in a completely different part of the code, that it doesn't end up introducing unwanted/unexpected bugs or changes in another part of the code.
4) Code that is hard to modify/maintain. This is similar to point #2, but in a more general way, if you have code that is very messy, coupled tightly together, no abstraction mechanism, no separation of concerns, etc. It gets harder to reason about and harder to separate if you want to remove/add features to your game.

All 4 things can be considered "shitty" code.

just pajeet it!
pay your pajeets 2c to do it for you

15% is too little when coding that stuff is 50-75% of the work required to make a game

no deal

>muh I work at computers so others are shitposters while me is not
keep your ego in check fuckboi

Why did you leave the gamedev industry (besides money)?

off-topic question, as a worker at Google what would you recommend learning (maybe a specific language or something) to git gud at programming and becoming more attractive to employers?

also doing the thing and not having bugs that break the game or worse

the more I think about it
how the fuck did telltale even go bank

the more I think about it
how the fuck did telltale even go bankrupt?

all they need is a writer for new scenarios, a few artists and sound people and they can crank a million of those choose your adventure text adventure games

they had like 500 employees
most of them didnt do any actual work, just women and "minorities" hired for diversity

Cause I prefer doing gamedev as a hobby rather than working in it actively, as the industry can be very brutal. Also money. Also I wanted to move to another city and there were no reasonable gamedev positions there.

Personally, I code equally in Python and C++ at work, sometimes Java or Go or Bash, it really depends. You really want to feel comfortable with multiple languages and paradigms (I have very strong functional programming roots, but YMMV), and don't focus too much on the problem of learning a language.
This said, you really want to have a language that you feel comfortable with (even just for passing a job interview).
For myself I started with C and Lisp, and nowadays I am the most comfortable with Python. I recommend Python or Go as my #1 choice. Rust or C++ if you want more powerful/complicated languages, but I wouldn't recommend them as beginner languages for sure. (Rust is becoming REALLY big as a language, I reckon it will overtake C++ in many things in the industry in the near future)

>Google engineer here
I'm glad you showed up
who the fuck do I have to yell at about these goddam captchas?

WHY ARE YOU SHOWING ME TRAFFIC SIGNS FROM OTHER COUNTRIES?
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE? SORT BY COUNTRY IP AND SHOW ROADS ACCORDINGLY
I DON'T EVEN DRIVE A CAR!

and don't get me started on those ones where I'm supposed to click on the 'bus', but there's only a truck there, but it won't let me tell you the criteria is wrong

I know, user, it pisses me off too. I got nothing to do with the captcha team though.

>and don't get me started on those ones where I'm supposed to click on the 'bus', but there's only a truck there, but it won't let me tell you the criteria is wrong
heheh, I always laugh at those ones and the ones where you have to click on the "crosswalks" but it's only a bunch of weird writing on the floor.

I'm kind of a novice but at this time I'm comfortable with Java and somewhat with Python (haven't done something with the latter properly in a while), and I have experience with SQL and basic networking (sockets). Where should I move on now, in your opinion?

I was actually
>i'd share gifs if V didn't have too low a limit on files

Attached: TUXhzgJ.png (1260x720, 74K)

Been experimenting with first person controls that let you aim the gun independently from the camera.
Feels like an absolutely awful idea so far.

Attached: output3.webm (960x540, 2.91M)

>"Click on the picture of bridges"
>there's no bridges
>there's 3 guard rails pictures
>click on those
>it passes
Fucking retard ML

What's the internal company opinion on Stadia? Do the higher ups not realize how impractical it is for 90% of the US and most serious gamers will not stand the input lag or lack of ownership and other customization options like community patches or mods. Also it isn't cheaper because you still have to BUY the games.

Unironic question, I want to know how it got greenlit and what the expectations are.

twitter.com/STANN_co/status/1148380488006066176?s=20
suppose i can shill myself, with a video.
GarfieldRPG The battles will feature guitar hero like segments, whenever it's the enemies turn.

share proof b

all their games looked like they had only 10 people on hand lmao

also what the FUCK is wrong with android studio? everytime I update it breaks everything because someone there loves gradle 476.32957252 which changes the config and deprecates half the options
I spend more time fighting android studio than actually coding

and when are the android app permissions actually going to work properly?

>people unironically falling for the google worker meme

on the off chance it's true we might as well ask unironic questions, no?

watch game maker tutorials on 2x times speed

print out my message and pin it on their door or something

what's sad is modern companies would probably hire you with this attitude.

Workin on it today. Making levels for puzzle games is a puzzle itself. Hope non of my family members will disturb with some bull shit. At least my day job can fuck off today.

>first person controls that let you aim the gun independently from the camera.
Virtual light gun?

>a few artists
each new episode of their games needed unique art and animation

It really depends what you want to work on. There's so many fields that you really need to specialize on something you enjoy/want doing. Personally I know absolutely nothing about machine learning or AI for example, it was never my field, and I never bothered past the very basics. And that's okay. I really couldn't say for you, sorry.

>What's the internal company opinion on Stadia?
It really depends. From what I've seen from internal (informal, not company opinions, etc etc) communications, people seem either very skeptical or very enthusiastic, just like the outside world. Personally I've played Stadia and it works really really well, but I also don't live in the US so I don't know how the infrastructure is over there. Honestly, I think the data cap and overall bandwidth issues are going to be big problems for the whole network infrastructure, and I don't know if there are any plans to make it work somehow. In Europe? It works perfectly at least. You can expect very low latency, barely noticeable (if at all). I wouldn't play fighting games or twitch shooters or competitive stuff, but the vast majority of games (RPGs, action, adventure games, etc) work beautifully. I was very skeptical at first myself, by the way.

I don't work on Android nor have ever touched Android code. Sorry.

i always click on the wrong things on purpose, if it looks like it would pass
fuck google

Attached: devil.jpg (470x595, 91K)

>Google engineer here
why are people who work at Google so full of themselves?

If you worked for Google, wouldn't you be?

Basically that but with free character and camera movement.
I'm probably never gonna make a game with this just because it necessitates three separate inputs for movement, camera movement and aiming.

it's not about attitude, it's whether you have a visa and are willing to work for much less than a native worker

and of course diversity hires are most desirable

Check out yahtzee's dev diary. He makes a lot of good points throughout it that fit your situation.

>I don't work on Android nor have ever touched Android code. Sorry.
who do I yell at?

I reworked my scarf particles yesterday. Today I'll hopefully actually code these flickering enemies and stop getting sidetracked by adding bells and whistles.

Attached: scarf.webm (1808x1014, 2.01M)

source.android.com/setup/contribute/report-bugs
Maybe here? idk

I wouldn't follow yahtzee's advice on anything

no? who wants to work at a giant company where you get treated like cattle?

Because the job ain't fulfilling on it's own, so they try to get brownie points everywhere else by saying
>i work at google btw

If I'm going to put some effort into something and be disappointed with the end result, I'll just masturbate, thank you.

You shouldn't follow any man without following.
But most of his points are really good.

Like finding out a fun core loop of a game, and refining it.

He's not the most competent game maker, but god knows he puts more effort in than most "game journalists" today

I should probably pester them and ask them why the fuck they feel the need to keep simple apps like the goddam clock closed source

It's a pretty comfy job, I get well paid, I can do whatever the fuck I want most of the time and work on the projects I want as long as there's a business reason for it and my manager agrees (he's super chill, so no problem there).

What engine is this?
How did you do it?
Why dont you use deadzones so that the camera moves if the crossair gets too close to the end of the screen?

Why isn't she landing on the ground?
I'm assuming it's on purpose but it looks really weird

>Personally I know absolutely nothing about machine learning or AI for example

Anything you COULD tell me about? I don't have any particular preferences yet.

Why not? Hes made decent games, its his opinions that are shit

If a google employee look like cattle to you, you'll hang yourself working anywhere.

the guy wouldn't know fun if it hit him in the face

listen to professionals, not amateurs
I'd recommend reading shigeru miyamoto interviews or something

I'm going to make a non lewd VN.

Attached: 1490060958260.png (500x300, 17K)

small studios aren't bad
meanwhile google picks up its employees in big google busses and calls them Googlers like some 1950s dystopia

I thought about applying to google, but since google labs is dead, whats the point?

Virtual/Augmented reality is kinda fun imo, maybe look into that. The future is going to be full of VR/AR things, could give you cool job prospects.

you mean the invisible slope? I just don't have slope tiles yet and needed to test the slope implementation

So he didn't like your special game i see

then I better get started on that noose

oh there's slopes. Okay, that makes sense i guess.
Whenever i do stuff like that, i draw in a really quick placeholder

>What engine is this?
Godot, it's very quick to prototype in.

>How did you do it?
You mean the controls? It's a gamepad with gyro. Left and right stick control movement and camera as usual, gyro moves the crosshair.

>Why dont you use deadzones so that the camera moves if the crossair gets too close to the end of the screen?
That's precisely what I wanted to avoid. That control scheme is used commonly on the Wii and does work, but I wanted to see if aiming the gun and turning the camera could be completely separated.
Turns out it becomes pretty tricky to control. So far I think a static crosshair is still the better idea.

You mean, google offer a bus for anyone wanting to go work without a car. It doesn't force you to use it.

that skybox is unity

awesome looks like metroid! IRL guns bend with autistic but effecient arm and hand movements when i want to fire left (from the i tilt the rifle so that the left side faces down

It has to move realistic but what you made is not unheard of.

are you implying they'd lie about the game-engine??

Imagine complaining that your company provides you free commute to work

the man has no taste

you missed the point

>Godot
really?
tricked me

>but what you made is not unheard of
What games work like this? I'd like to play them for reference.

it's one step too far, it's like a school bus
whats next? they gonna wipe my bottom and tuck me in bed at night?

why would you want coworkers seeing where you live anyway?

Because I can't settle on any one idea for more than a day.

>godot
cool
>controller with gyro
weird but okay
>wants to avoid deadsones
but thats the only way to make camera movement seperate from controls without it being unplayable, quite a few games did it just fine like goldeneye or ARMA.

>why would you want coworkers seeing where you live anyway?
You do realize that it does not come pick you up, right? It's a normal bus, it has a bus stop and established routes. It's not like a school bus, user...

the way the horizon is shaded and even the size of the sun looks so similar to the unity default one with modified colors

maybe they just rewrote it using that as the base...

The default Godot skybox looks very similar to the Unity one.

oh..

personally I think I'd go insane at google, isn't every employee there a lgbt loving snowflake?

Honestly
I want to see how certain some things go irl before I start back up.
I was.using gdevelop but the engine is very bad at anything other than 2d platformers.
I might as well switch to game maker since that seems the easiest way to go right now.

Because i have no idea where to start. I have a game concept and I'm decent with C++ but i have no idea where to start.

not interested in unreal engine

>but thats the only way to make camera movement seperate from controls without it being unplayable
That's pretty much what I came to realize with this little experiment. Sticking with a static crosshair is still a better idea imo as the Wii style controls don't lend themselves well to fast paced games.

too busy shitposting

Let's say I want to make my first 3d game after making a bunch of 2d adventure games.
If I want to make a third person stealth/adventure game in unity, where would I start?
Is the procedure to make a basic blank 3d area, and like a cube for the character and objects/npcs/enemies and to set up how you move around and interact with the world etc?
Then go about building the assets for the actual game up?
Or should I start by making the main character in some pirated 3d modelling software, then import them into unity and get them functioning and animated properly?

Whenever I made adventure games I'd start with a character sprite and a single room and go from there, like make a rough version then a better one once everything worked - same with inventory interfaces etc, but I'm lost as to how to begin with 3d.
I don't wanna simply make a point and click game either so there's the added issues of direct control, interaction, maybe combat and jumping/climbing.

What should I begin with?

Attached: _20180920_125347.jpg (280x290, 19K)

>isn't every employee there a lgbt loving snowflake?
Not at all. I don't live/work in the US (I've been there plenty of times though) and I never interacted with those scary dangerous "SJW" boogeyman people that the internet seems to rave about. I've only ever met one (evidently) transgender person and it was at a conference. They were pretty chill and nice to talk to, nothing weird nor special about it. The world isn't the scary dangerous place that /pol/ and leddit seem to think it is, user.

you wanna know where to start?
watch unity or unreal tutorials
you're not writing your own engine

well I love making environments and so the game suffers as a result

Attached: CliffMat01.png (1919x1003, 3.49M)

Are they okay with you posting on Yea Forums from work?

That's actually a decent idea. Thanks.

gee i wonder why a google employee would say that

isn't it a saturday

I don't go on Yea Forums at work personally, but I've seen people do and nobody could give a shit honestly.

Got back on the learn Japanese train for my honeymoon in Japan and the JLPT. Someday though...

okay so basically that and AI are where all the rage is going to be? i'll look into learning more about that stuff then

why aren't any of you guys making a fun game like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=xTqzeMSBYFA

watch techlead's channel on youtube, he has good advice that I would recommend

especially the one about his wife running away with his 3yr old kid, poor guy

Do you know of the hell that is working with 3d?

It's for machine learning. It tracks all your movements, like the order and speed you choose tiles not just the images you click.
Even if a truck is different from a bus for you, it's functionally the same for a self driving car.
Personally I play the game of let's fuck them up as much as I can, but it's getting harder and harder to do.

I used to make alot of 2d games but lately I just play too often vidya and not even good ones at that. I'm playing shit like warcraft3 and assfaggots(lol). I feel ashamaed and yet I use every free moment I have on those games.
I'm 23 is there still hope for me?

He purposely shits on games in his reviews, but that's his whole gimmick and that makes him money, while still being entertaining and providing constructive criticism.
His dev diary, however, is something fresh and he gives great insights, especially if you're struggling with the basics. It'll get you going, or at the very least give you a solid starting point for more research.

it's actually easier than animating 2D shit

I know what it's for, I'm saying it's ineffective to show me roads in japan and tell me to pick street signs as if I can read japanese

>it's functionally the same for a self driving car.
for buses and trucks, sure, because they're similar enough as obstacles
but not when white squiggles on the road are treated as crosswalks, personally I wouldn't get in a self driving car trained by these captchas

ooooooh and you know what shits me the most?
when they force you to pick 10 tiles of the same type of thing, and they fade each one out reeeally slowly

does he still has that irritating bumper music which I muted everytime?
I got tired of his schtick and I haven't watched anything from him in 5 years

I KEEP DRAGGING MY FEET!!!!

Attached: onpu on turte.gif (320x320, 134K)

>learnt how to code specifically for making games
>find it more enjoyable than actually making them
>solely program for the sake of programming now
>not a single finished game

why did it have to be like this

Attached: 1547418532640.png (720x629, 878K)

at least you have a career

Here's a hot take for you lads

readable & reusable code > performant code

Attached: 1551095987750.jpg (628x676, 41K)

neither is greater than the other and you should strive to attain balance

Enjoy having your game run like shit.

To be fair performant and readable kind of correlates.
Not always, but mostly.

it really doesnt

well it really depends, some things need to be optimized.

Learning Unreal because after a year of using Unity I realized its is dogshit for 3d.

Attached: 1567204622970.png (402x516, 180K)

I bet you're the kind of person who adds a bunch of needless complexity to your codebase in the name of making it "more readable and reusable" but all you're doing is making it harder to comprehend and less flexible, while making it 10 times slower.

Do this.
The people on itch will be ready to take in the flaws of the game in a constructive way and give them back to you. They will also not be the costumers you will be trying to sell to latter on so the game causing a bad first impression won't be a long term problem, and it will let you have a second chance to cause a better first impression with a bigger and new audience

>they fade each one out reeeally slowly
They do that to see how fast you can discern a pattern from incomplete information. We're in the matrix, lad. The original idea, where humans were being used for computing power instead of energy.
Dev diary has a different one, zp is the same. Guess it's up to taste, since I like it.

Okay bois how do I get into composing video game music? I can play things I learn on the piano (not very well), and I'm getting acquainted with FL studio, but I have no idea how to make up shit that sounds good or even what activities to do to start to grasp what I'm looking for.

I know some very basic theory, but no idea as to how to use it. I'm most interested in chiptune/SNES/MIDI, but I care about sound more than authenticity.

Attached: fl-studio-20-1.jpg (1920x1080, 306K)

video game music is just regular music its not 1990

Make the controls so that you strafe instead of turning
With a press of a button it turns to where the gun is facing
Give lock on (not aimbot, just so that you can strafe along the target)

Do that or just an actual tank, like a mech. Or fuck it, a guy on a wheelchair

ur such a good feminist ally :^)

>They do that to see how fast you can discern a pattern from incomplete information
it's not an eye test user
it's just to slow down any scripts from filling in the captcha and posting 100 times a minute

>because after a year of using Unity I realized its is dogshit for 3d.
lmao, thats on you, you'll be quitting unreal as well

bait

Double fuck it, a guy on a bike.
Downhill Tec 9

Then just music for ya, I guess.

>lmao, thats on you, you'll be quitting unreal as well
Butthurt Unity user
Good luck getting a good framerate for anything remotely intensive lol

I WANNA RIP THE HEAD OFF the faggot that created those captchas that you click and vanish

Attached: 1558565028479.gif (480x345, 3.29M)

Motivation lads. Unemployed and on one hand I wanna work on this stuff but everytime I sit down to do anything I either get distracted or depressed I'm not employed.

Attached: 1567201806483.jpg (960x720, 471K)

I have been making slow progress on my game! But I had to skip out like 2 weeks because I was in hospital with a broken hip. Even now it's awkward to work on the game because all I can do is lay in bed, which means my keyboard is on my stomach and my mouse is to the side of me on a box. I don't have the fine control over these that I use to so things are just slower and I'm making more mistakes that take time to fix. I'm also like 8ft away from my TV (which I got to use as a monitor) so I've had to make text huge just to see it and I can't see small details unless I can super zoom in.

Despite this I'm still doing work! I've just been adding items to craft, I'm at almost 100 now!
Picture related, everything at or below the three blue potions row is craftable.
I'm even ready for a demo day in 5 days.

I'm gonna make it even if I am crippled.

Attached: items.png (1000x1000, 65K)

is it a minecraft clone?

>I was in hospital with a broken hip
damn, senior citizen in the thread

No. It's a runefactory clone but instead of a farmer you're an alchemist. You go around gathering materials (or growing them) then craft them into stuff to either sell (in a recettear style shop) or used to solve problems the villagers have.

Getting old is a hell of a thing. I turned 32 this year, surprised I managed to live this long.

fighting RNG tamers is harder than it should be or I'm bad at my own game.

Attached: simidil.png (758x421, 45K)

lmao

>Good luck getting a good framerate for anything remotely intensive lol
if you can't code

it's pretty fun to always encounter new monsters though that I don't have a clue what they are or are crossbred from though, so I'm pretty damn happy that seems to be working out.

Attached: simidil4.png (762x415, 49K)

oh this is still being worked on?
any release date yet?

still learning modeling and animating

engines have all these functions and unique features in their language that you need to memorize, it's annoying as fuck

accidentally posted early

>Good luck getting a good framerate for anything remotely intensive lol
if you can't code efficiently, your code will run like dogpoo no matter what language or engine or system you choose

this is what you can do with unity if you know what you're doing
youtube.com/watch?v=FVtYdRUEJtE

How much basic theory do you know? Learn scales and chords (FL makes it convenient if you go to piano roll and pick Stamp), whip up some simple chord progressions and improvise using scales until you find something that sounds good then make that into melodies, bass lines, etc. then try to evolve and build on it. After you do this enough you'll be able to make listenable stuff. Get some nice drum samples and learn a VST of your choosing so it doesnt sound like a bunch of presets, Massive is supposedly good but its glitchy as fuck for me so idk. Learn basic mixing and mastering while making tracks.

>if you know what you're doing
you mean if you're the guy they hired to make the engine faster and you're using tech no available to the public yet?

yeah I'm not gonna stop til it's done, I feel bad it's taken so long though, in retrospect don't make your first real project 2big.

Everyone tells you that and I still managed to successfully ignore it.

Attached: v.png (814x442, 93K)

>min: 20fps
>avg: 50fps
I rest my case.
This is only acceptable if you're a console user.
Now run the same demo in Unreal.

Also find midi files of your favorite songs and look at their structure, analyze it and see how they do it. You can also steal from them and build your own tracks from their chord progressions or whatever else, its a very good way to learn and doesnt require musical literacy or hearing.

upgrade your comp if you want 60fps even though 50 is fine
youtube.com/watch?v=I9IrWbjcqc0

it is publicly available, are you even trying user?

Do you have a blog or something?

just take a song and keep modifying shit til it sounds nothing like what you started with

I'm a brainlet that cant code

probably best place to keep tabs is

twitter.com/crowns_dev

Attached: ss38.gif (568x384, 727K)

i got some feedback on the game a week ago and i have a lot of improvements in mind, but i decided to take some time off to clear my head since i have a lot of work coming up soon in real life

i think once all the bullshit clears up, i'll get to work on it again

Attached: ai control demo.webm (1440x810, 2.86M)

That video is even worse, he's running at 20-30fps lol.
Compare that to this, which is running on only a GTX 1080.
youtube.com/watch?v=l6GVecXTuqk

>that fade in/out animation
Yo that's sick.

good to see someone making a real game instead of nostalgic pixel trash

>That video is even worse
ok you got me, I didn't watch it...

but your video is BS
that scene is trivial to render
the geometry is very basic and there's not much post processing

Well, I don't know, very little, like I only know these basic major/minor/dim/aug/7th chords (nothing more complex), meaning that I can play them and recognize them if I see the notes, but I don't know how to use them. As for scales, I know how a major/minor scale works (none of the fancier scales), and I understand how the chords relate to them (like I IV V I), but even that doesn't come naturally to me. I have no experience in using scales to construct melody, though. I sometimes try to make up melodies on the piano, but when I get to a few bars that sound okay, I don't know how to continue so that it fits and makes kind of a song. As for intervals, I can't recognize or sing them after hearing, or play them without counting, I just know what they are.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try looking at some midis and analyzing/modifying/recreating them.

You rarely see people actually making games because the second they start going somewhere they leave either because they don't want to be associated with this place or because they will get bullied and/or shamed.
Look at Risk of Rain, Bug Fables, Momodora, even Minecraft. All started here but everyone denies ever coming here now.

just hum stuff into a tape recorder, then try to transcribe it one note at a time

NO. make demo builds. early access was forever tainted by DayZ, and will never recover from that. early access should be reserved for beta and onwards.

you should see what the game looked like when it was still a 100% parody/tribute to MUD-style games with mixels and stuff.

that said, the current art assets are still placeholder. i don't know what kind of art i want to use yet, but i know i don't want to do pixel art

Attached: game (2).png (1920x1080, 111K)

I don't think they deny it they just leave
I'd leave too if I had a successful game and didn't have to hang out with losers

Good strategy games live or die by their user interface, doesn't matter if your art isn't the greatest just make sure everything is clearly communicated to the player

Even professional made games barely excite me anymore. I doubt i'll go far with a pet project.

I'm just designing characters and places I want to get a feel for the world I'm making.

Attached: 1546692044200.png (600x450, 143K)

yeah i wanted to make the game a lot like MtG in regards to using consistent keywords and explanations as to how stuff works. you can hover over stuff and get a full explanation of how it works, what it influences and so on. i'm also implementing like an in-game encyclopedia that explains some of the combat math in detail, but i'm trying to design it so that something like that isn't really necessary for normal play.

Attached: jawbreaker.png (408x393, 16K)

here's another hot take. programming isn't necessary at all. i'm only using bolt.

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (235x64, 4K)

try to use icons aswell wherever possible
especially for ingame buffs and debuffs

Sounds like your problem is a lack of practice rather than a lack of knowledge. Melodies are moving, they gradually ascend and descend, its what gives them a sense of direction and makes them sound like they arent just aimless flailing. I dunno what you could do to practice melodies, maybe come up with a beginning and end first then everything in between instead of working linearly? Its always easier to come up with melodies if you have a nice chord progression looping in the background. If you know chords and scales then making chord progressions should be easy, or as I said just directly take some from your favorite songs or look some up online.

How do i into lowish poly character modelling?

alright lad, whats a good way to start? should i take a programming class in college or some certificate thing? i wanna make a porn game thats like hard time but with girls

Attached: 1565955778591.gif (651x758, 1.95M)

I am, but a bit stuck on making a background big boss with hblank to cut the corners etc..

Attached: effects.webm (320x240, 406K)

Get freebasic or something just as retarded and set yourself the lowest goal you can think of, then go up and up and up.

I'll try, I have a feeling practicing transcribing would be a useful activity.

An absolute lack of practice indeed. I used to play the piano and the keyboard in elementary school, and I just tried getting back into music very recently. I think practicing chord progressions will help a lot, I've always tried to make a melody first and then find chords to go with them, but if it's the other way around, that gives the whole thing some structure and forces me to make a melody that fits.

I'm having trouble with layers and collisions
I want the grappling hook to connect to something but I also want the player to pass through said something

post résumé

And what's the problem? Put the player and the grappling hook in separate layers, then set the player to ignore collisions with the something.

Red Orchestra 2 has something like that, but good.

learn modeling first unless you want to make a text game

out of all games to jerk off to why hard time?

youtube, you can learn everything on youtube

Good to see you still around

Fun fluff, sounds like just as much a waste of time as 2k sales.

So I create an empty gameObject, attach it to the player, give it the grappling hook script and make it collide with the something while having the player itself not collide with it?

no no i wanna make it to where it has the same concept like the jail system and how you can join gangs and stuff but it wont look like hard time.

Attached: 1558394877140.gif (197x183, 62K)

>making a game to earn a living
Just kill yourself already. I make games for fun.

I see posts like this from assblasted indies all the time, and every fucking time it looks like a free flash game from 2007

this guy is the next yanderedev, calling it now

Games should be made because you want to make games. And money should be a bi-product so you can continue making games without worries

BUT I AM
Added a ton of verticality to the proc gen.
Also added the game to steam recently if anyone wants to wishlist it: store.steampowered.com/app/1149860/Arsenal_Demon/
dont have to buy it

Attached: wall hopping.webm (1280x720, 2.83M)

Trying to get a job and not be a poor indie

bruh

make good indie shit, so people wanna hire you
(though a lot of companies treat you worse than if you can manage to your own game up on running)

I have a few projects on my portfolio already. I'm an animator so I'm working on some tests to bolster my reel so I guess that counts

I've been working on a turn-based RPG and was able to get a lot done this summer, but with it ending I won't be able to dev as frequently. All the systems are done now though and it's just content creation holding me back so I'll be able to finish by the end of next summer probably.

Attached: 2019-08-04 13-13-15.webm (800x450, 1018K)