When will consoles start having a soul again and stop being glorified DRMBOX PCs

when will consoles start having a soul again and stop being glorified DRMBOX PCs

Attached: dreamcast.png (825x562, 154K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DIxUScfOQwg
youtube.com/watch?v=xecWX51PElI
youtube.com/watch?v=3xny-xwQ9-k
geek.com/news/99-dvd-players-dont-exist-542902/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Never

Never

Never. Consoles had "soul" and charm because those were really just used to mask loading screens. You'll remember (or not) that the NES, SNES, and Genesis didn't have those sorts of intro screens for every game. You didn't get a Super Nintendo splash screen at the start of a SNES game, and the "SE-GA" was only for Sega titles. Games just started up instantly back then.

The "soul" of that little dot tracing out a Dreamcast symbol, or the various startup tunes on the PS1-2 and GameCube, were there because the system needed a minute to read the disc before starting up. They were just a charming jingle while it happened. There's no jingle you can play that will mask a 6 hour mandatory download, though, and with more and more systems pushing online downloads, or even just larger file sizes to read from a game card, there's no point in making something like that because it takes far too long to load the game information into the relevant memory.

Even a brand new system, with brand new games, is not going to bother because there's no sense in needlessly wasting 30 seconds of people's time every time they turn the system on.

Give me a definition of "soul"

SSDs will save console, r-right?

i couldn't find the webm of some psx racer night cutscene, so this will have to do.

Attached: 1443672961801.webm (1280x720, 2.9M)

No, we are just going more and more digital. Plus, if your SSD can load a splash screen to hide it loading game data, then it could just load the game data first and start into the game. The PS1-PS2 era console splash screens were to hide the console spinning up the disc and reading the initial data. That isn't necessary when the splash screen would load just as fast as the game itself.

Console splash screens are dead outside a system using one intentionally for an attempt at a retro style.

Lol it's not all about the logo shit

nah, not by my reckoning
soul is a perception kind of thing and i have never reduced it to such bare parts as you have or ever felt the need to
not everything is made better because you see it for its parts and, personally, i have found that commonly things are made worse for close inspection

What can save console? Zoomers and Boomers more interested in other platforms. Casual core games will be trashed with their lootboxes and shit. Some cinematic experiences will be on streaming. What consoles actually have in next 10 years?

are you saying nintendo lost there soul? if yes when... i don't even own a nintendo.

Did the Genesis have soul? Did the 32CDX attachments? Did the Wii?

When your definition of soul is "something atmospheric that I like" or even something more vague, then it's not a term that has meaning. It's just nostalgia for a console generation hiding under a different name, and no, you aren't going to find that on another system. At least when we're talking about console splash screens, this is something you'd see every time you turn on a system. And I'd argue that's more of a "soul" given that it was immediately identifiable and got people ready to be playing the games on the system.

youtube.com/watch?v=DIxUScfOQwg
youtube.com/watch?v=xecWX51PElI
youtube.com/watch?v=3xny-xwQ9-k

Wasn't the Dreamcast more powerful than the PS2?

Yes, but it hardly mattered. PS2 was a dirt cheap DVD player at the time, plus had the entire PS1 library available to it when it launched, so most people who had a PS1 just went over to the PS2. Also, from what I remember, Sega were still in the process of fucking themselves hardcore. It was internal mismanagement and bad bookkeeping that tanked the Dreamcast, not just bad sales or a bad library on it.

When this minimalist UI meme ends

Literally never, in fact the next gen of console will probably be the last.

Shit kinda sucks.

Xbox360 was the last console with soul, but then it fell for the minimalism meme

Attached: 6SjGkMx.jpg (2592x1944, 1.07M)

Ah fuck I know which webm you're talking about, please someone post that shit, I need to figure out what game it is.

I mean, it's somewhere on my computer, but fuck if I can find it among several terabytes of external hd and pictures spread across a vast wasteland of data hoarding. I remember it's also difficult to find via google because all the videos for the game don't even look similar... fuck how did i find it again last time I was looking for it...

(captcha: select all cars)

>Buy new 1P offline physycal console game for PS4
>Pop it in
>Installs some shit
>Downloads updates
>Start
>Have to sit trough even more loading and a vaginion company logos
>Be greeted by a souless title screen, barely any music and minimalist main menu
>Finish game
>Credits are just a black screen with text and nothing else.

soul

Found it; racing lagoon. I just searched street racing psx; however then I only found the game title, which didn't actually lead to anywhere with that webm. I had to search "racing lagoon.webm" and I got an archived soul thread to find this shit.

yw user

and this is also for you

Attached: racing lagoon.webm (700x436, 2.99M)

>PS2 was a dirt cheap DVD player at the time

no it wasn't. If you wanted a DVD player in 2000 for say, $140 you could find them.

geek.com/news/99-dvd-players-dont-exist-542902/

You forgot "you must agree to these terms"

i don't think it will happen again. except nintendo every campany i think just decides to go on safe route which is to make something that will make a load full of money.

Depends on how you're looking at it, and what kind of game you're making.
But the answer is probably no_

>when will consoles have SOUL again
>what is your definition of soul?
>the opening cutscene cinematics of a video game
I don't think that consoles ever had any soul by your reference.

actually, the opening cinematic of racing lagoon is pre-rendered footage; that webm is what traversal gameplay looks like. I'm not sure because i've never played the game, but i think when you start a race it zooms in or some shit. Im speaking from the experience of watching the youtube videos I just saw while searching for that webm.

>Turn on a console
>*You've got a message*
>"Good day, user, Our company™ blocked your access to our gaming sistem© due your disagreement with the Green New Deal"

unless you somehow regress into being 12 years old mentally and forget every experience you've ever had, never.