I’m New To The Sonic Franchise

What am I in for?

Attached: DBFBC653-209B-4DA8-8CF2-03FC280F4191.jpg (1770x3509, 421K)

Only play classic Sonic and Mania if you want an authentic Sonic experience. Avoid all adventureshit and boostshit.

75% shit, 20% mediocrity, 5% great games and 100% to remember the name

Attached: 5076124679.png (1287x858, 1.61M)

The only good games were on the Genesis. Every single emulator I've tried has had all sorts of slowdown issues. Good fucking luck since all the 3D sonics are a broken mess, and at best are easy games for children when they work correctly.

a whole lot of cringey autism.

Fun sometimes awful sometimes

A fucking mess. If you want to get started with a particular game, I recommend
>Classic - 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles or Mania
>Dreamcast - Either of the Adventure games
>Modern - Generations, Unleashed or Colors

Utter and absolute back to back disappointment with the occasional tease of a second golden age, followed by even greater disappointment and unthinkable frustration.
>t. 20 year fan.

I've been with this shitty franchise so long it would be a pretty bitchmade move to dip out now, so I'm here till it's truly all said and done, whenever that'll be.

Good to Fantastic games in the main series during the 2D era. Mediocre to Awful games in the 3D era. Spin offs range from Awful to Pretty Good in all eras.

Start with the 2D era games first so you can fully appreciate just how bad some of the 3D games are, and how much wasted potential they have. If you want to further enhance that feeling of disappointment, try some of the 3D Sonic fangame engines floating around and see just how lacking Sonic Team's 3D games really are in comparison.

Honestly, you're better off following 's advice. Everything after the 2D era might as well be a totally different series that redefines what Sonic "is" every other game.

And yes, the boostshit games are "okay", but that's all that they are. You'll get bored of them very quickly since their gameplay is extremely repetitive. They're like the 2D era games but without the engaging input or nuanced movement tech. You just hold the boost button down and watch Sonic go most of the time.

Attached: 1564869366360.jpg (653x653, 33K)

a lot of shit and a lot of gold. start with sonic 3 angel island revisited or sonic mania and focus on mastering how sonic interacts with terrain.

Attached: D9nwJ00XYAEUQjK.jpg (1080x1332, 199K)

Hey man I'll have you know that boost games are like a perfectionists greatest dream-game. I had hours of fun repeating a stage over and over trying to do everything absolutely perfectly.

>start with Sonic 3
Why would you tell anyone to start at anything other than 1? 2 at the very latest?

Sonic CD is the only S-tier Sonic game.

Sonic 1-3 are great, but 1 hasn't aged well.
Sonic Mania is pretty close to perfect.
The Adventure games have aged kinda poorly but they're fundamentally pretty solid games.
Unleashed, Colors and Generations are all good at varying stuff to varying degrees. They have blemishes but they're all ultimately worth playing if you enjoy that style of gameplay (the Werehog kinda drags Unleashed down, unfortunately).

Some of the handhelds are pretty good. Most of them are at least playable.

You can safely avoid more or less everything else.

Mario's better

3&k is the easiest of the original saga and has arguably the best level design. playing through the worst of sonic 1 or 2 without being used to sonic's movement makes the entire experience much harder.

Attached: 1531740049341.jpg (2976x3968, 1.83M)

Wondering how Sega Fucked up their Mascot IP so badly

Attached: 1559251224565.jpg (568x498, 56K)

You don't have to play 1

Google "Sonic the Sissyhog"

Chapter 3 of "Sonic's New Outlook" and "Prison Island Inmate" feature scenes of Amy getting fucked by humans (weird that they're both in chapter 3, that really wasn't the plan)

Attached: 1567038106457.jpg (798x800, 98K)

Sonic 1 is kind of bad. Sonic 2 through &Knuckles is good. Sonic Adventure is going to be awkward and cringy as fuck, so it depends on how much you enjoy running around doing random stuff with the other characters.

Most of the rest are kind of disappointing until Sonic Generations and Sonic Mania. You can still have fun with them, but assume that the game is going to be more spectacle and you're just there to watch it. That, or absolute shit like 2006 or Boom.

I don't know. I have a soft spot for 1, myself.

>all these people dissing Sonic 1

Sonic 1 is good, it just isn't as good as the other MD Sonics

2, 3&K are absolute kino, stunningly great games.

CD is pretty decent, very weird game so prepare yourself. I find you have to kind of ignore some of it's odd elements, like the time travel checkpoints interrupting gameplay so fucking much.

Mania is great but would have been 1000x better and the best Sonic game if it was all new levels, hopefully Mania 2 is like that.

What is the consensus on 2 vs CD? Which was made by America and which by Japan?

CD sucks. Anybody who tells you CD is a hidden gem or whatever does not have your interests at heart.

Recommended game list, most of which I've played:
>Genesis Sonic games, CD, Mania
>Rush duology
>Adventure duology
>Unleashed, both versions of Colors, Generations
>Sonic Racing trilogy (All Stars Racing, Transformed, Team Sonic Racing)
The rest are either a pass or I haven't gotten to them yet, like I didn't include the Advance games, Riders or Zero Gravity as I've yet to play them, and haven't finished Heroes

>Sonic 1 is good, it just isn't as good as the other MD Sonics
Yeah, that's kind of the problem. Why recommend playing through Sonic 1 when there are three absolutely excellent games on the same system that someone could be playing? I can understand the history and they'll certainly be impressed by Sonic 2 if they play Sonic 1 first, but that's not a very good first impression to leave someone with. A lot of the problems that people attribute to Sonic, as a series, are fairly well present in Sonic 1 more than the others.

Sega all stars and transformed are the only good games

>noooooo you can't play Sonic 1 and the Adventure games
Faggots the lot of you. 1 is the second worst 2d Sonic but it's still amazing. The Adventure games are 3d vidya done right and future Sonic games should never have deviated from their style.

Why though? I enjoyed the verticality.

CD is good. It's just really dark and weird. But I enjoyed those types of Sonic games like Spinball.

It only takes about half an hour to beat Sonic 1. Might as well.

I know what you're getting at, but posts like this are just asking to have the thread raided by other fans who can't take an opinion.

I'd recommend it because it's short as fuck and teaches the player to fully utilize rolling better than the other games

That's also true

Attached: the basic guide to getting better at retro sonic .png (1213x1631, 1.48M)

Lots of arguing. Try a lot of different Sonic games and decide for yourself which style you like best, because there'll be a lot to choose from. Enjoy mediocre games like Forces while you're still new because they'll impress you more.

2 was made in America by a Japanese and American staff headed by Yuji Naka and Hirokazu Yasuhara
CD was made in Japan and was directed by Naoto Oshima
2 is better
The end

Why 2 vs CD specifically. Personally I agree with Knuckles Channel. 2 is the worst 2d Sonic (but still good pls no kill.) CD requires a certain taste most people don't have but I like it. S3&K is still the best though.

2 probably has the biggest lack of quality control compared to 1 and 3. The first half of the game starts out really solid, but then the level design quality tanks once you get past hill top zone. Though the rushed development schedule probably has more to do with that than anything.

people have different opinions on 2 vs CD, but the general consensus is that 2 is better than CD even though thats wrong. 2 was developed in the usa by japanese staff and cd was developed in japan by japanese staff.

I mostly agree, except I'm weird and liked Metropolis zone for some reason. It was probably more for the music and cyberpunk feel than the level design though. Enemy placement was bullshit.

I also know for as much as people hate Sonic 2's halfpipe, I still think Sonic 1's puke bag zone is the worst of them all. Literally luck based half the time because you're at the mercy of the physics. If I had to rank them in my opinion...
Mania>Blue Sphere> CD UFOs>Half Pipe>Spinning Maze

Attached: ringo.jpg (199x239, 27K)

Great 2D games that segued into slowly-shit 3D games culminating in one of the worst games ever released, followed by a slow (albeit shallow) recovery before being shit again. Also had some shows of varying quality, some really bonkers comics that recently got neutered for advertising purposes, and potentially one of the worst films ever made hitting theatres next year.

You're better off sticking with Nintendo's IP's or even Crash/Spyro, and I say this as a former massive Sonicfag.

Attached: 1560245525142.png (592x650, 288K)

Honestly 2D is probably enough to live off of if he's unsure about the later stuff.

Honestly I think Oil Ocean is worse than Metropolis. Metropolis at least has some neat speed gimmicks and pretty solid platforming. Oil Ocean's an annoying slog all the way through.
Even then I don't really hate either.

>god tier
Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
>good tier
Sonic Heroes, Sonic Generations, Sonic Advance, Sonic Mania, Sonic Battle
>meh tier
Sonic the hedgehog 1/2/3, Sonic 3D blast, Sonic CD, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic & the black knight
>trash tier
Sonic 06, Sonic Lost World

Oil Ocean was definitely improved by a long shot in Mania's makeover of it. A lot more to it and the elemental shields also help spice things up, like setting the oil on fire and blocking the annoying seahorse pellets.
I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE

>>good tier
>Sonic Heroes
based

>former massive Sonicfag.
>former
there is no escape. something will suck you back in sooner or later

Attached: 1563318736176.png (1024x1043, 480K)

>>meh tier
>Sonic the hedgehog 1/2/3, CD
LMAO, dude wtf

Your opinions are shit user

Your opinions are based user

Morbid curiosity and the faint hopes that something good may happen do pull me back for bits at a time, but it's definitely not enough to make me buy anything aside from Mania lately.

If Evening Star's next project isn't Sonic-related, then if nothing else the series is pretty much dead to me.

I have been playing Sonic games for the past 15 years user, so I believe my opinion outweighs those of, like, all of you

21 years here, your opinions are shit

>Oh yeah? Let me just go and change my birth certificate to 22 years old! Hah I win!

Attached: 1537419605766.jpg (509x501, 115K)

First decade was great. Heroes and Shadow were just sub par. You already know about '06. Everything after that is inconsistent. You have games like Boom that are nearly as bad as '06, games like Unleashed that are ok, and games like Generations that are pretty solid. I'd form my own opinions though if I were you. I played both SA1 and SA2 for the first time this year and despite all the bitching and moaning I heard on the internet they were pretty great.

That's still younger than me ya dingus :^)

Not him, but what kind of shitty non-argument is that?

Buzz off boomer

just capitalizing on the moment with a joke is all.

What, did you think I came out of the womb playing video games lol? Dumb animeposter.

I play them from 1991 so calm there kid.

see
was just messing around, my man.
though I do legitimately wonder what's the youngest person to ever play a game.

7 good games and a lot of mediocrity

>god tier SADX and SA2B
>Genesis and Sega CD games in meh tier
You're retarded plain and simple. I love the adventure games, but the Dreamcast versions are the best versions. I shouldn't have to explain why putting Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and CD alongside Black Knight makes you look like an idiot.

Doesn't help that a lot of sonicfags on Yea Forums nowadays just label you as a stupid classicfag or "seething classicuck" if you disagree with them even slightly.

Attached: sonic tier.png (1123x657, 893K)

>the Dreamcast versions are the best versions

No they're not ????
You get free gamegear games in DX

what do you guys think of my fan character?

Attached: sonic with shadow dna + boots and tails tails and knuckles knuckles surgically attached and rhythm b (1360x1360, 200K)

Attached: 1531280626565.png (759x508, 762K)

I knew that people has different opinion and im not suprised, just choose a Sonic game, any kind of the Sonic game you want.

The only problem with starting with one game is that almost every sonic game is different, so it can cause even more erratic opinions.

Can someone please explain to me why Sonic Unleashed gets so much praise by Sonicfags? I've played the game and while the actual Sonic sections are fucking amazing, the Werewhog stages make the game so fucking hard to get through.

While I don't hate the game, infact I agree that the sonic levels can be pretty fun too. I honestly blame it on youtubers saying it's good now all of the sudden. The sonic fanbase can be kinda sheepish at times. If anyone here already liked it before that started happening, that's fine. But it is a very odd surge of praise I've noticed too.

how do you play advance, love it, and not play the sequels
but yes, they suck. advance 1 is based.

people replay the daytime stages like people replay the sonic levels from adventure
yea the werehog is shit, but thats not why people like it, ya know?

>CD is pretty decent, very weird game so prepare yourself. I find you have to kind of ignore some of it's odd elements, like the time travel checkpoints interrupting gameplay so fucking much.
If you ignore the time travel stuff you end up with the most "hold right to win" game in the entire series, Rush games included. Time travel is the game, without it CD is nothing more than a good soundtrack and some decent 16 bit visuals.

>while the actual Sonic sections are fucking amazing
You answered your own question
It also has the best presentation of any of the 3D games

Pure Soul, even the shit games bleed soul and are still worth experiencing

Attached: 1566240617629.jpg (800x450, 52K)

I got Project Unleashed for Generations which strips away all the Werehog bullshit and I'm having a blast. The original game is garbage tho

Attached: 2043466.gif (350x197, 2.28M)

And now you're gonna get dogpiled by the purists who say the Gens mod is shit. Better brace yourself just incase.

Attached: 799798.jpg (1280x720, 49K)

Kega fusion gets a perfect 60 frames on all the classic Sonics. Not sure what your problem is.

Man I don't fuckin care, 4channers are fucking retards and will say anything for contrarian points at this point. The only thing they're getting out of me is Robotnik reaction images

Attached: 2043458.png (1000x480, 295K)

Why wouldn’t you play the most soulful game?

I'm not sure why they get mad at it either. The generations mod lets you play Unleashed with a perfect framerate, removal of the pointless QTEs, pretty much instant load times, a tighter drift and control in general and Super Sonic being usable and the homing attack being back on A like it should be. I don't think the original is garbage per se, but I really do find the mod the more convenient way to play those levels. The only downside is that Gens Sonic is a bit slower than Unleashed Sonic, but there are mods to fix that if it really matters that much.

Attached: 1524009357246.png (918x1024, 764K)

>A lot of the problems that people attribute to Sonic, as a series, are fairly well present in Sonic 1
Oh yeah the cast is just too big, the writing just too cringey, the physics just too stiff...

You’re a retard.

Just play the genesis games Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles, SA1, Unleashed, Colors, Generations and Mania.

Attached: 1504915700045.png (1920x1080, 186K)