Making melee in FPS games interesting

Is this possible? Melee in skyrim and fallout is just pretty damned boring slugfests due to the inherent "tankness" of movement in FPS.

Contrast third person games where melee tends to be fast and furious and have characters performing multiple attacks/actions and flipping/comboing all over the place.

Attached: skyrim-orc-in-melee-combat.jpg (1280x720, 182K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8
youtube.com/watch?v=pfzeQFCzgxM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Play more games.

Attached: Play more games.webm (720x400, 2.79M)

Dark Messiah and FEAR.

Attached: DarkMessiahCover.jpg (353x500, 56K)

Fear's a FPS about SHOOTING not meleeing user.

Look up maken X

mordhau

I take what is shadow warrior for 500

>He hasn't seen the melee-only kung-fu playthrough

I don't need it to be 'interesting,' just fluid and functional. That said, Dark Messiah is still the best first person melee game.

Attached: 1519502850397.webm (640x480, 432K)

overrated kicking simulator with a few cool setpieces.

Attached: 1566867268132.jpg (400x400, 11K)

forgot about FEAR, youre right. Looking back it actually had some pretty solid mechanics
the shooting was good but the kicks, especially slow-mo kicks were patrician

>have talents unlock abilities to bind to directional slashes/swings/cunt punts/bashes that inflict different things depending on the directional swing you bound it to
>ensures easy keybinding that doesn't require M/KB or a steering wheel
>adds large amounts of flare and depth
>gives importance to swing types by having the straight stab offer the most oompf to whatever you bound to it
>mages get a melee option by obtaining magic swings of varying elements/effects
>critical blocks/parries if timed right
>hitting body parts matters
>let people cast shit while wielding things with both hands like in oblivion for extra build variety and freedom
>more limb damage
>kicks, charges and other non weapon swing abilities can be equipped like a spell
>directional movement alongside spell cast button decides which spell to use to allow better flow even on consoles(optional of course, some people hate that shit)
Bam, fixed elder scrolls combat.

i think the way kcd does it is a good step towards melee combat. the whole point of fp cameras is immersion, being slower than tp while relying on reading and deceiving the opponent is the way to go. it would require better ai and stop remove the locking on mechanic though. also any magic system should be implemented as support abilities for melee classes

Attached: kcdcombat.jpg (820x450, 138K)

Vermintide 2
Zeno Clash 1 and 2
Dying Light

>All these great games in this thread
>OP could only come up with Skyrim and Fallout
Is there any bigger evidence of being underage than this?

>magic
Honestly, they probably need to fix that first before melee in the next elder scrolls game. Magic in skyrim was ass and felt bad.

I partially blame dragon shouts because a shit ton of "spells" had to be reserved for shouts (The ability to teleport/shoot around is a common defensive magical ability and whirlwind sprint was a shout not spell for example).

Need to have some spells with individual cooldowns that function more akin to Borderlands special abilities, but still use mana (Like maya's vortex type deal) to spice it up.

Shouts really fucked up magic. Shouts replaced the cast button; ruining the ability to cast while holding weapons. The whole "its for balance" thing is a disgusting lie.

I outlined those 2 because they're the ones with the biggest issue with it.
The thread is more a "What can bethseda emulate to make melee interesting?" type of question and asking for other FPS examples.

Like clunky melee is excusable in fallout because its more focused on gunplay as its bread and butter, but EO is the opposite: ranged gameplay is more or less for stealth and sucks outside of that due to how bows work, so gameplay defaults to melee more as the default.

Shouts were total bullshit. Whenever someone asks how Skyrim became casualized I point to shouts. They wanted every class to have access to magic spells no matter what. I just want a game to do magic right. It’s supposed to be a difficult esoteric skill, and it’s never treated as such

obviously you never played fear multiplayer where melee was god. Dont blame you though, pretty much nobody did
basically I was so good at beating up niggas with bare fists that I would get banned from servers

>have to unequip something to cast spells because casuals cant process two different keybinds for magic and shouts
>going full magic feels like ass because many effects overlap between schools
>destruction is the most tedious combat skill to level up while accuracy and damage is lower than regular bows
>master tier spells require to stop 4s in place while enemies try to interrupt your cast
>cut many abilities from previous games
>no spellmaking
how could they downgrade magic so much from oblivion to skyrim is something i will never understand

MOUNT AND BLADE NIGGA

I saw clips of fear mp and it looked so fucking dope, looks like it's gone now tho

They had to simplify it to attract seven year olds.

>It’s supposed to be a difficult esoteric skill

On the contrary, I think magic works best when mages have some "Quick cast" type options to spice things up rather than having to channel before casting every spell.

Like how wall of fire/sparks/ect are just point and shoot, have some laser type spells that you can use like a "normal" FPS gun or the like, or have some quick cast defensive spells, like a wall of force explosion with a CD that you can use to knock enemies away like Diablo mages.

I think they were worried about how the enchanting/alchemy singularity in Oblivion allowed you to craft spells that could break the game wide open and overcompensated and made sure magic was ass and got rid of spell crafting, without realizing that it had nothing to do with baseline magic but was due to the singularity exploit.

yeah it was something special. More fun and engaging than any other mp shooter Ive played. Had really nice custom maps as well
then FEAR 2 released and turned the series into casualised console trash. Killed my faith in games

Unless combos cap at like 2-4 they're honestly really boring.

I can agree with that. But what I meant was I wish magic was more of a “you get what you put into it” sort of deal. Creative use of magic influencing your environment. In demons souls the demons prank spell could trick the old monk boss because he was blind. I always thought that was neat.

Mountain Blade

fpbp
Came here to post this.

the more i think about it the more i wish skyrim's modding community wasnt so succesful. maybe the loss in sales and reputation would have been enough to make bethesda reconsider instead of waiting 8 years for f76 to make that happen

>balancing a sp game
what's the point really? these faggots didnt learn from morrowind that breaking the game and becoming ss4 nerevarine was what made it so fun (along with the lore). i'd rather have that as a possibility and avoid it if i dont like it than gimping magic so much that it's only viable as a crutch for melee classes

In that case the system could be improved with Impact, Fluidity and Variation
The TES melee combat is braindead, older games used to have a hidden diceroll mechanic to emulate pnp RPGs which was just as unfun as what we have now but at least it was a reason for the combat to be what it was. With Oblivion and Skyrim they simply took the bland combat mechanics, stripped everything from under the hood and left us with an empty shell of a system
You stand in front of someone and you bonk each other on the head until someone lands either a critical strike or outright kills the other
Better melee games will always feature some form of feedback for hitting and getting hit
You just click leftclick over and over because there is nothing else to click unless you wanna heal or something
Other games either build combos into their games or give you other meaningful ways of switching your combat up
TES combat is a numbers vs numbers game with the player interaction usually coming down to very simple kiting (assuming pure melee combat of course) compare that to say Shadow Warrior where you spent an equal amount of time moving around and actually hitting/blocking
There are more incentives to move because the enemies move around you as well in different patterns depending on enemy type, while in TES generally everything will run in a straight line towards you until you are in attack range
Then there are games like Dark Messiah of course where the environment can be stronger than any weapon which makes positioning yourself and maneuvering the enemies all the more important since it can allow you to kill enemies with a single blow/kick as opposed to wailing down on them for 10 to 20 seconds per enemy
Honestly it is hard to surmise in a few sentences what is wrong with Skyrim's melee combat because the answer is basically "everything" but to quantify that and compare to other games takes a while because there are so many different successful approaches to making it better

fantastic game but the melee combat wasn't that good

seconding this
also dishonored has some top tier first person combat

fucking autoblockers

dying light looks amazing, dead island was satisfying, dishonored etc etc

Dishonored and KCD
/thread

>Contrast third person games where melee tends to be fast and furious and have characters performing multiple attacks/actions and flipping/comboing all over the place.
Reminder that this is absolutely retarded and literally nobody in the real world behaves like that. The entire third person action genre is fundamentally stupid.

both are better than OP's games but they're low tier compared to the other games in this thread
don't /thread yourself ever again

>low tier
>KCD
really? it was kino

yes really and I liked KCD as well
play the games mentioned here if you haven't already

dead island was satisfying but only for as long as the (relatively) short campaign IMO

>play the games mentioned here
>Dark Messiah
Eh, maybe
>Mordhau
Fuck that
>Dying Light
Everyone knows Dead Island did it better

not him but dying light was an improvement on dead island in every way

went for stealth both times i played the game. sell me on the combat, is it worth a playthrough?

People think Dead Island was better than Dying Light?

wat gaem

Honestly, yeah. It was goofier, but it was fun. Dying Light was still good though, but it took itself to seriously.

it sounds like you havent even finished it
throwing caution to the wind and going ham on a level/group once you know the layout can be really fun

dying light was literally only made to be a better Dead Island and it worked
Mordhau is great but if you don't wanna play then don't
Dark Messiah is totally worth trying, you can pirate it in a couple minutes and beat it in a day since it's rather short
Try the new Shadow Warrior and Shadow Warrior 2, they both had gun and melee gameplay in pure FPS action
Vermintide is pretty great too if you can into Warhammer stuff

If you care about good FPS gameplay and haven't played at least some of these you're seriously missing out

Play condemned faggot.

>that fps dungeon game that got cancelled
What was it called? it had skeletons. I remember gameplay had the MC dropping a chandelier on a guy

seconding shadow warrior and vermintide

read the next 2 posts after it newfag

Any good doom wads with melee campaigns?

nah i breezed past everything the first time and went for ghost the second. always saw it as a stealth game so never bothered with combat

its clearly designed as a stealth game but i think the swordplay is too good to not engage the enemy face to face sometimes
especially on very hard, but ymmv

watch a dude called StealthGamerBR. The dude is nuts.

Go play The Chronicles of Riddick games. They are perhaps some of the most underrated games I have ever played and have some of the best first person melee systems.

youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8

An FPS is, by definition, about shooting. What the fuck. If there's no shooting then it's not a shooter. FPS stands for first-person shooter.

youtube.com/watch?v=pfzeQFCzgxM
Super sad this was cancelled. It's put on hold but it's pretty obvious it's outright cancelled, super shitty because it looks GREAT

>instead of just drop killing a guy he blinks on top of his head and bounces
>knocks guy off ledge with severed head
>freezes time, shoots incendiary bolt into air, baits tallboy into walking under it
im gonna stop greentexting like a faggot now but this shit is pretty cool

please calm your autism user
of course first person shooter are about shooting but for convenience sake we use the FPS label to describe the perspective and core movement mechanics in these games even when weapon choices are limited to melee weapons

Mordhau/Chivalry

Dishonored 2 is even more kino for combat options

Yes. See: all shadow warrior games

>we
no just you

i havent picked it up yet because i wanted to finish the dlc first but i cant wait to try it

ITT fags who didn't play Zeno Clash

Attached: 2038591-672896_20130506_003[1].jpg (1280x720, 271K)

what do you call them

It's a very good sequel. I still prefer 1, but 2 really did the series justice.

It's only a kicking simulator if you let it be.

The temptation is very strong though.

>i wanted to finish the dlc
the DLC of 1 is ridicously good btw, so take your time. it's necessary to play for 2 as well, they tie in really well

boku no spikes

good to know
i wouldnt expect less from arkane though to be honest
i will, thanks for the advice
...and im just now realizing that arkane also made dmomam, gonna have to move that up the list in my backlog

Attached: 1561186799968.webm (1280x720, 2.93M)

thats fucking funny

>i've got blink too mother fucker.

based weird alien fantasy cavemen brawler

Shadow Warrior has much better melee than gunplay

Yeah Condemned's combat was surprisingly fun. I usually hate it when games are designed to make you go through many low-durability weapons quickly, but it made it work. Weapons are plentiful and scattered everywhere, with very common ones like pipes you rip off a wall being solid workhorses. Of course, when you have time you'll still try to look for better ones like the paper cutter blade, but the fact that even the common ones work well makes it a lot better. Also helps to make you panic when you break your pipe and have to run the fuck away with angry hobos chasing you while you frantically scavenge for a chair leg or something.

>when you climb up that fucking ladder into the dark steamy room with two sledgehammer fuckers
Christ that was scary

Condemned criminal origins

VR

second game fucked it up so much.
it should never have turned into super saiyan shouting matches