Why does this game leave such a strong impression on people?

Why does this game leave such a strong impression on people?
I grew up in the early 2000s well after this game was technologically relevant and yet I remember it as one of my favorite childhood memories in an otherwise shitty childhood

Attached: The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_box_art.png (370x269, 142K)

it has soul

soul

The game is kind of shitty but it does have soul

Because they didn't play ALttP beforehand and didn't know that it was a downgraded port. Kinda like people who think FF7 is the best when FF6 was superior. They're casuals that are more enraptured by the 3D novelty as opposed to actual content.

>soul

Attached: 1546871476378.webm (672x904, 571K)

This is a good demonstration of what soul actually is, as opposed to "I like how these graphics look but these other ones suck."
So this is the hot new anti-OoT meme, I see. FF6 is better than FF7, I'll give you that.

obviously it didn't since nintendo failed to make a zelda game as good or better than it, ever.

The Yamauchi era of quality control at Nintendo simply doesn't exist anymore. Nintendo will /never/ make a zelda game as good or better than OoT. In this sense,and combined with idea that later zelda games had been getting progressively worse and worse, it's a guarantee that the franchise is dead.

OoT is a good game. I don't think it's relevant to say it's a good Zelda game, or that the full title is "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time". The zelda franchise is worth dirt at this point so OoT looks worse by association when referencing it as a Zelda game.

You have to go back.

OoT has a particular feel of "universality", the one trait that binds together all epics across the arts. Its story is rather simplistic but in a grand, and spiritual sense. From Link being "the boy without a fairy" to entering the Sacred Realm, OoT harkens to universal tales of the chosen hero fighting against a great evil. The scenes of the world's creation from the goddesses, the sacred realm, and traveling across the desert to Ganondorf's homeland, bind the game to an almost Biblical sense of purpose and myth.

Attached: oot11.png (1243x702, 1.29M)

what is this from i see it everywhere

look up theericbutts on youitube

Good audio design

Attached: Ganon Beats.png (637x479, 368K)

Shouldn't you be getting deeply emotionally hurt by parody cartoons and making fart noises on a Let's Play channel?

I played LttP first and still loved OoT. They're both good for different reasons.

This.
Stop taking Sequelitis seriously zoomers. It's dishonest at times, and the rest of the time, he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

koji kono is p. cool

can we start calling him koji kino?

I don't know who that guy is.

surprisingly good analysis. OoT is like vidya Shakespeare. Unfortunately that can make it feel a bit flat to the modern player, the same way Hamlet sounds like a collection of famous quotes, but there's still timeless appeal.

It's a great game but you'd be surprised how effective the prevalent popular opinion can be at influencing people and how fervent those people can be in defending that opinion as they have to self-justify and rationalize that dogmatic popularity. Look up cognitive dissonance and self-justification, it's basic psych 101

I don't believe you because you're repeating the exact point he tries and so painfully fails to make.

For me the music plays big role.

Botw had me in nostalgia craze as soon as it played even a singel note from the other games.
The first time you get to Temple of time was epic. This huge, grand sacred church guarding the master sword was mindblowing to me as a child.
Zelda Oot had plenty of these moments. First time deku tree, first time hyrule field and so on..
Nintendo played on my nostalgia with Botw. I had almost the same experience early on in Botw when you enter the ruins of Temple of time, yet again.

Are you people being ironic? I can't even tell anymore

>t. soulless

Does that mean everyone who doesn't like downgraded 3D ports makes them a clone of Sequelitis now? Why doesn't anyone ever tell me these things?

>literally everything except the IP is different
>"it's just a port"
Right. Metroid Other M is just a 3D port of Metroid Prime Pinball.

I feel like the only person on this board who just didn't like Botw at all. The stamina wheel and breakable everything completely killed it for me. The soundtrack might as well not even exist.

It's about the universal experience of growing up from a magical and simple world where people are friendly, to the adult nightmare where everything sucks and nobody gives a shit about you. The music and environmental changes enforce this theme and make the game extremely memorable.

There are lots of people who didn't like it here, myself included. It's just harder to tell than it should be with all the bait and falseflagging.

The 3 pendants, master sword, the dark world that you enter is renamed to adult link world, 7 maidens are now 6 sages, Ganon is the final boss and you need to save Zelda. They downgraded it by getting rid of Agahnim and less dungeons because they wanted to add a bunch of cutscenes because they got lazy and needed to pad out the game.

They didn't get rid of Agatha, they just made him and Ganon the same person.

Don't worry about it. I'm a Zelda fanboy and I didn't like it very much either.
It didn't feel like a Zelda game at all.

That's good to know. There are things about it I appreciated, but it's not even remotely fun to play, and that drags everything down to hell.

That explains why the bug net is gone. Just more proof that OoT is a downgrade.

except the gameplay loop is completely different, only the structure is the same.
Puzzles are now in a fully 3 dimensional space, there's now a lot more ways to use the items in a 3d space as well.
IDK why ALTTP fags think that their game has to be superior, I like both of them, and I prefer Ocarina's combat and story.

both have killer soundtracks too.

Attached: ganondorf.gif (480x368, 3.2M)

Monomythic story structure married with genuinely engaging musical motifs. Of which, is still rare in the video game medium.

>That explains why the bug net is gone
They kind of just combined the bottles and net. You can use the bottle in the same way as the net, except to do even more things in OoT.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask singlehandedly brought out the full potential of the limited hardware. Really, only Donkey Kong 64 did the same, while Rareware's FPSs Perfect Dark and Goldeneye 64 demonstrated that the system was very limited in processing power.

Because it's the best video game ever created.

I got the gold cartridge for Xmas when it was brand new and never found the game all that engaging. It's good, but it's definitely over hyped.

Why is the Mona Lisa such a great painting?
It's just a random portrait of some random lady
Truly great art transcends explanation
I think this is what people really mean when they call something soulful
It means that there is no logical reasoning for why it's better but it speaks to your soul in a way other things can't

Wrong. Soul can be explained, but subhumans can't be explained TO. Why something is great can be described, but a great number of people are genetically incapable of understanding that explanation.

To add on to this, OoT also has a feature - and does it better than almost any game I've seen - of revisiting areas you were in before and giving them new significance.
>you were in the sacred forest meadow as a kid, which seemed kind of innocent with just deku scrubs, and you met saria and learned her song. as an adult, you find it is overwhelmed by moblins, and the forest temple was there the whole time
>that room you were you saw darunia dancing, had a pillar in the back that led to the death mountain crater and the fire temple the whole time
>that island in lake hylia was housing the water temple, and there was an ice cavern on the side of jabu jabu
>the shadow temple was behind the kakriko graveyard the whole time
Basically, this feeling of "something was there the whole time" gives these areas a really large feeling of significance and connection to an older history of the world. These temples were always there right under your nose. As a kid, you weren't really aware of them, and the world felt more innocent; when you turn into an adult, its like you are uncovering what the world was holding the whole time. The one exception? The Gerudo Desert, and this is why that part of the game has such an "edge of the world" feeling, because you are experiencing this region for the first time.

This guy gets it. The duality between the innocence of childhood and the harsh revelations in adulthood make OOT what it is.

Wrong you're just mistaking plain ordinary greatness from soulfulness
The whole idea behind the word soul is that it's nebulous that's the entire point
You can describe why something is great but that doesn't account for the soulfulness which is something separate entirely

I wish you had a soul.

Same zoom friend... Same

Most people don't believe in human souls at all to begin with you know
But hey there's no reason to believe that even if humans don't have souls the things they create can't

>Most people don't believe in human souls at all to begin with you know
The overwhelming majority have and continue to do so

Why are the letters so poorly placed? Is it an emulator causing this or did it really look like this?

No, OoT fans are eternally asshurt over that video it would be hilarious if it wasn't so tedious.

I tried Ocarina back in 1998-1999 and it just didn't hook me the way the previous games had. The idea of a 3D ALTTP was amazing to me but the actual game itself didn't deliver what I wanted. I was far more excited about half a dozen other games at the time including Final Fantasy Tactics, Bushido Blade, X-Wing Alliance, some sports games that I don't really remember (hockey, baseball, soccer, football), Final Fantasy V (RPGe on zsnes) and ultimately Everquest which I played for like 3 years before quitting videogames almost entirely for decade.

Honestly my opinion of Ocarina was common in my friend circles at the time. My friends were all into FPS (Quake, Duke Nukem, Half-life), sports games, racing games, and resident evil. Even N64 was more known for Goldeneye and Mario Kart than Zelda. Everyone I knew just thought Ocarina was meh. Nobody said it was terrible or complained about it. It was just "not like the old Zeldas" or "my 9 year old brother loves it."

>Wrong you're just mistaking plain ordinary greatness from soulfulness
Soul is, essentially: evidence of creator passion in a great work. This is coincides with greatness, but it doesn't have to. When you're playing a game does it feel like someone with a vision really cared deeply about making it great, even if perfection was not achieved?

That's soul.

t. Not anyone you've replied to yet.

Will this game be enjoyable if I try to play for the first time as an adult?

What's the best N64 emulator?