Remnant: From the Ashes

One second I'm loving this game, and the next I hate it.

When you don't fight bosses it's so much fun and it's really a sleeper hit. Then you hit a boss, and you get so frustrated because every boss comes with constant adds, so you're not gonna have a good time unless you co-op, and most people you co-op with suck and die instantly.

I just killed the Ent boss. He wasn't so hard, only took me 3 tries, but it was sofrustrating as it felt so cheesy by me just running around, kiting adds and making random shots at the boss in between.

Attached: Remnant.jpg (225x225, 13K)

Good thing you weren't around for pre-nerf Radiant Tomb. You probably would've gone on a rampage somewhere.
Lord knows I almost did.

Attached: 1512050345976.png (299x250, 14K)

Ent wasn't too bad. Arguably a worse boss to fight than say Singe. I found that sticking closer to mid range where you can roll through his foot stomp made the fight easier. As soon as he starts mortaring you can effectively get to his side and take a shot at his weakspot every time between rolls.

>nerfed aggro mod
>nerfed mod generation and forced to wear a set to compensate
>did nothing about the adds
>did nothing about that event where you need to protect 2 girls with brandead AI

You would have hated the predecessor to this game then. Every time you die your character ages 1 year.

What I did was just ignore the big adds. There's a split second between them starting to detonate and the explosion, so I just waited for them to come near and roll away. The small adds I either meleed or had them die to friendly fire.

I think I remember if you just crouch and face away from the door at the end and mash interact you can get into the door that way. But yeah that event is bogus because the girls will just run headlong into some dumb shit.

Attached: 1538574646701.jpg (1300x1000, 197K)

Yeah the suicide guys are a pain but it's easier to just dodge them than to waste bullets on them when the likelihood is friendly fire will take them out as well. Especially during mortar phase, but that means usually one less chance to hit the weak spot on the Ent.

>souls-like

Attached: 1566255994026.png (551x491, 261K)

There's a mid-game boss you can fight early and skip an entire level if you win. I went in extremely underleveled and committed to mastering the fight. Took me like 50 tries but it was the best fight of the game for me.
>nerfed mod generation and forced to wear a set to compensate
They buffed Cultist set hard though. If you want to play a caster it's a lot more viable now, you just have to actually build into it.
And Spirit being such a massive bonus despite being locked to either your Archetype or RNG was a bad design move from the start.

Attached: 1560919330921.png (738x499, 394K)

>rougue souls-like
>Auto-generated maps
yayks. Sound like crap

The problem is how useful Spirit is versus say Shadow Stalker and decreasing enemy awareness. With the ability to purchase the other gear pieces from Rigs means that the only real reason to play Hunter is if you want Shadow Stalker over Spirit which is silly because you could just choose the Ex-Cultist archetype and wear the ranged damage set now. I can understand not locking the beneficial traits to say armor sets but it is a pain in the ass trying to get the spirit trait from rerolling the campaign for that one rng seed that you need.

Attached: 1560185951798.gif (421x498, 1.41M)

Is it true that the game is only solo or a group of 3? I only have one friend who would want to co-op with me and I read shit about cheaters fucking up people's save files

No idea with friends, butI've been matchmaking in public with just one more.

2 player seems to be a comfy place in terms of group scaling and overall difficulty. A third person usually means fighting over ammo and positioning for firing lanes unless someone is a melee autist. Thank god there is no fucking melee friendly fire, I'd suck start a shotgun if there were.

I mean can you set up a lobby to only allow two people? Or is there always going to be a chance of some dipshit jumping into our game?

You just set to friends only and then play with your buddy. Unless you know some idiot on your friends list that'll fuck up your gameplay then I think you can just kick em.

Is the Sporebloom a decent weapon? I'm using the coach gun right now, which I like. The sporebloom feels like it deals more damage per shot, but it also only has one shot per reload.

It's pretty good. Very high damage stat and the reload is pretty quick and the reload issue is mainly offset by the quick hands perk you get later. The mod generation on the sporebloom is so fast you get to use the power more often as a general ad clearer or burst damage on the boss than say the other mod powers which take so long to come back up that you hold onto them.

Is this basically souls with guns?

It's very close-range, whereas the coach gun is a tight-bore mid-range weapon. Yeah, damage is way higher.
Personally I love Sporebloom, and the alt-fire is amazing at crowd control at mid-range. Works well with the Slayer set, which gives you a damage bonus on the first shot after a reload. Which is every shot for Sporebloom.

>use turret mod
>it aims a meter above enemies
that was rough

Oh good to hear. From the shit I was reading it made it sound like you had to queue into a full group of 3 to play online

It's plays like if Warframe had Gears of War's movement system, but has several elements of Souls' design like limited healing items that respawn when resting at a checkpoint that also respawns the area's enemies.

Attached: taro of wisdom.png (359x329, 98K)

Kind of is probably the best way to put it. It has a stamina bar which is for sprinting/rolling to limit you using them too much. I'd say that the difficulty spikes from scaling/new levels is very different. If the criteria for a "souls" game is being unforgiving of mistakes then yeah it is closer to that than not. But really there is no downside to dying other than your consumables you used are gone.

No man, not at all. Just one friend and I have been cruising around and just trying to get all of the random items/events to spawn. I think it's a lot more fun with two than three to be honest. If three it feels like one guy has to go melee since ammo drops are shared among the players which means it becomes the limiting factor on who gets to use their firearms.

yes and no. There are an awful lot of similarities but it differs the most when it comes to enemies, bosses, and scaling with procedural generation. You know that aggression mod for dark souls? Open world enemies are more like that. No leash distance, ultra aggressive, almost every enemy has an elite variant or ranged capabilities. Bosses tend to follow the doctrine of mob spawns are a mechanic

How difficult would you say it is? Fair but challenging like souls, or lots of fake difficulty?

Woah! It's over

fake difficulty, because without the add spamming the bosses are incredibly trivial

Fair but challenging for most. Some of the fights can just be downright stupid in terms of adds like the first two boss fights that can spawn Shroud/Gorefist because you haven't had the time to adjust to the concept of adds being the boss's extra mechanic/ammo generators to reduce ammo box use. It wasn't a mechanic really introduced at all unless you ran into a screamer/summoner elite which I don't think happens until after the first fight anyhow so it catches everyone off guard.

There's 3 difficulties, and each gives +15% more experience than the previous.
Normal is pretty easy; there were a couple bosses in a row I beat on my first try, so I rerolled the game to Hard and it feels right. I've heard Nightmare is an extreme jump.
Playing Hard solo most bosses take me 2-4 deaths to beat with a handful coming close to 10 deaths. There's one that I was underleveled for that I wasn't "supposed" to fight that took me like 50 tries because I was stubborn.
So yeah, difficulty feels good.
In a sense it's even more "fair" than Souls since things are telegraphed with extremely distinct audio cues. You can do bosses on the first try for that reason since they often use the mechanics from the preceding areas but in new ways.
Rarely does something happen that is simultaneously lethal and new/unpredictable.

Attached: 1566994646338.gif (640x360, 1.86M)

It’s nowhere close to Dark Souls in terms of difficulty, people just make that comparison because of similar mechanics.

It can be a difficult game when played solo, just keep in mind that it really is more of a horde-style shooter than a single player action game. Boss difficulty mostly relies on managing adds, for example.

fake, normal levels are a joke and bosses will challenge you just because they have adds. if you ever played destiny the boss design is about the same level

youre gonna get differing opinions on this. So normal is the "intended" difficulty for a first campaign. Imo normal is brain dead easy and boring as fuck for anyone that isnt a potato. Hard is definitely challenging, but I feel like its the perfect starting point where you notice your character progression the most and fights are actually rewarding in the challenge. Nightmare is intended for geared and leveled characters. Shit is hard. I would say that the only difficulty that has artificial difficulty is nightmare, but they advertise it as such

The way scaling works is significantly different from souls. Areas are generated when you hit smoke doors or checkpoints and they scale directly to a weighted average based around your gear. Some bosses do have flat scaling tho

It's the good kind of frustrating. Not the "this is fucking bullshit" kind but rather "damn, I almost had" kind that makes you want to try again.

Playing in a group of 3. Singe was hard, the sword guy with the kamikaze enemy spawns was hard to get right (have to fight in the larger room), and radiation egghead guy with bug spawns was hard. I'm okay with bosses that have add spawns to split your focus, but when the adds are 90% of the danger in the fight like those previously mentioned you can start to see the problem. Most of the other fights so far have been fine, we just beat the big tree man in the labyrinth.
Also the hunting pistol is straight up better than the sniper rifle unless you really need to scope

People usually complain about the first boss fight being a difficulty spike because of the surprise adds.
You get used to it eventually (even with all comparisons, the game still is a horde shooter rather than dark souls with guns, and bosses won't drop ammo so you need to kill shit), plus the sound design is pretty nice so you can easily tell when certain enemies are spamming/approaching you.

there is no such thing as underleveling since everything scales to the highest gear piece you have

>They buffed Cultist set hard though.
who gives a shit? the point was that it was nerfed. an awful set being buffed doesnt exactly fix that since you are left with less options overall

>there is no such thing as underleveling since everything scales to the highest gear piece you have
Only on overworld and dungeons. Bosses have minimum levels.

Where can I find the assault rifle? I heard it's among the best,

>there is no such thing as underleveled
If you go into certain boss fights that have flat scaling, like undying king who is minimum +10, and your weapon or armor is less than that you are underleveled.

At the same token, if you have all your weapons at +10 and your armor at +5, then your armor is lower than your weighted average and therefore you will take more damage than you should

guaranteed spawn in a random earth dungeon spawn so gl with rerolls

game is piss easy, all mobs and boses are boring 1 move pinatas
all guns are mostly trash apart from starting ones
shooting is shit
movement is shit
>lmao roll
world is shit
stroy is bullshit
i rate it shit/shit

On Earth there's a possible dungeon with a quest called Supply Run. If you get that, there's a key somewhere in the level that opens a door at the end. Assault Rifle is behind it.

you need the monkey key spawn. Good luck

That's what it's marketed as but it's really superficial.
>Dude fog doors lmao!

>all guns are mostly trash apart from the starting ones
youre entitled to your opinion on everything else but youre objectively wrong on this one

>looks at the list of sets
>Sees the slayer set
This could actually be good but the numbers should be FAR higher. In it's current state it's just inferior to all the possible choices, be it bandit or the two increase depending of range.

>hunting rifle
>repeater
>you get smg/revolver in the 1st zone

>eye of the storm
elemental version of the hunting rifle that benefits from a free 20% extra damage from the storm amulet
>curse of the jungle god
a heavier hitting elemental version of the repeater that once again gets a free 20% bonus
>smg and revolver
yep both very good weapons with free mod slots but if we're arguing specifics those arent "starters". Youve clearly played the game a bit, so Id like to think youre just showing favoritism. There are objectively better versions of all the "starter" weapons

i finished the game

Kind of want to get the game, but just noticed that its from perfect world. That's troubling.

just pirate it

Good job

Why is it troubling? I know publisher practices can be annoying but this game seems to be free from such drama.

Is it just me or is the wastelander flail really weak? It doesn't make up for it with range or speed, and charged melee is the same damage as an non-upgraded hammer quick swing.

This game is the biggest Surprise for me.
Haven't had so much fun/time investment with a game in a long time.

the game is pretty shit, world maps are huge but in reality they are full of nothing

i'm enjoying the game but you're right about the maps, they fucking suck dick

Can you go through the game just fine without thinking too autistically about builds and such?

I just want a good time, but every thread I see about the game turns into minmaxxing pretty fast.

yup, its piss easy as long as you upgrade both your guns and armor at the same time

Yeh. You cant really worry about "builds" till later on when you get gear anyway

I don't like the 2 mods limit. Item are all boring as fuck, allow us to equip mods as items at the cost of a very slow mod buildup.

>Radiant Tomb
I still believe it was bugged.

It annoys me that revolver is not a guaranteed pick in the first world.
I was forced to roll 4 fucking worlds before the coin drop.

The game was great, outside of a few things
Obviously it's got that lower production value jank, but whatever.

The procedural generation didn't feel like you'd get new things every play through, it felt like you just wouldn't get some items every play though.

The bosses were fun, the endless mob spawning bosses were a chore.

Melee builds are useless, critical builds are essentially the only way to go if you want bosses not to take 30 minutes a time.

Balancing was trash.

You can.
The only thing you need to remember is how enemy scaling works, it takes the highest level equipment you OWN, not only EQUIPPED, in each slot and uses the average of that to scale the entire game including item drops like various tiers of iron.
If any of your equipment is below the avarage then it works worse.

Basically always have your equipped weapon/armor be the highest level you have and keep every piece of equipment evenly leveled. Don't play with a lvl 20 weapon while having lvl 10 armor because you will take a shitload of damage.

I've yet to fight a boss that wasn't easier solo than with others.
More players means more adds and a bigger health bar for the boss, and having to share ammo drops from said adds.
Please people coordinating their shit into your shit and you both die.

The only time co-op is better is when you have three similarly leveled players all coordinating on voice chat. And even then it's only necessary if you're trying for some of the more hard to get conditional weapons.

same, why did they even go for a procedurally generated maps is beyond me, all zone are corridor are all look the same. It's doesn't even make sense to have procedural maps, the game it's not a roguelike with tons of rooms or an arpg like poe that require variety for the grind, i think i would have enjoyed it more with fixed maps and better exploration

I think looking at your advanced stats is a good pointer. If it's a red arrow pointing down, it means you are underlevelled. If it's a diamond, it means you are the correct level. A green arrow means you are overlevelled.

Question. Is there any way i can make the model of my gun change to be what im using instead of the same model for every gun?

this game is bad and you should feel bad

not really, they borrowed some mechanics from souls like stamina or how roll works but they aren't as well implemented or balanced into the game. for example rolling attacks is extremely easy because guns don't have any recovery after firing and stamina in unnecessary since you don't use it for attacks. Plus they added whathever popular mechanic they could put on the advertisements like procedurally generated world, crafting ecc. even if it's not fleshed out or it straigh up hinders the game

Should I stick to one primary weapon or level up two? I'm using the sporeblossom right now, should I also try and level a long-range weapon at the same time or will the revolver be good enough? It seems to have decent range.

>main threat of the game is the Root
>you only fight the Root for 1/4 of the game

Attached: 1DA13106-B06F-4F15-B160-B0A1F6903701.jpg (480x454, 47K)

I prefer having two options, one for close and the other for long range and whatever the secondary is I usually use for adds and mid range.

wish the enemy placement wasn't random. hard to preplan attacks when they just spawn in,

I don't quite understand the dungeon system.

So there's the main world and mainpath, which is the same for everybody, but then there are these portals you go through, and you get random dungeons?

enjoying the game, but the bosses are a pain with the 50 million adds. Dragon wasnt bad but damn the harrow was a pain with the nonstop mobs. Finally soloed her though with my friend the shotgun.

literally git gud

1 mandatory usually the progression spot through an area and then randoms fill in the other spots unless it is the boss entrance which is always the same.