So when will Sega rip Mario off again?

Attached: sm1.jpg (770x471, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zFxg5r6uOfk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In Sonic 1, 2, and 3
just enable debug mode

When was the first time? Lost World?

Also something Sonic does that Mario doesn't is unique stage gimmicks so any level creator should have some scripting to let people make their own gimmicks.

why do you need to rip off an inferior 2D platformer series.

>When was the first time?

Attached: download.jpg (268x188, 22K)

>Also something Sonic does that Mario doesn't is unique stage gimmicks
The shuttle loop is literally the only thing that differentiates the Sonic platforms from the Mario ones.

this

But does Mario do everything better and completely BTFO Sonic as a franchise now and forever?

It wouldn't really work. Sonic is defined more by it's desighn than it's mechanics. And it's kinda built like a racing game in that, you're expected to play the same few levels multiple times taking diffrent paths, using diffrent characters, finding secrets, and getting faster. Plus Sonic levels are harder to create on a mechanical and desighn level. You can't simply lay down a bunch of tiles. You have to work in layers, and decide what layer the player should be at any given moment.
If you just made a linear series of difficult jumps on floating platforms, it wouldn't really be Sonic.

This. Mario stages are basically one to two screens high and ten to fifteen long and people even fail at making those. Sonic stages are all about interwoven, branching paths and building up speed using physics. Jumps are put int he exact perfect places that if you're going fast enough, you can launch yourself to a platform and maintain that speed and use it for the next section. Sonic Maker levels wouldn't have that kind of effort put into them and they'd be terrible for it.

That said the Maker series as a concept isn't terrible. There are series other than Mario that I think could do well with Maker games (2D Zelda dungeons and F-Zero come to mind).

Ah yes, I remember the level where Mario could bounce around like a pinball, or the factory level where you could roll and build up speed

mario ripped off little big planet

I'm surprised and kind of pleased with the amount of Sonic dickriding in this thread. I didn't realize people thought so highly of the series.

Yes

See

It doesn't have the unique 2D styles like Mario does. Sonic 1 and 2 are almost identical, Sonic 3 looks a little different, but stuff like Dr. Robotnik is still the same.
I guess they could do a Generations style as well?

There's
>Classic/Mania
>Advance/Rush/Colors DS
I would include the 2D in the newer console games too but they have 3D segments/stages too so it all depends, plus the Boost formula in 2D is already covered by Rush
And if they really wanted to, allow you to alter sprites to represent a specific title from those eras

>Sonic Genesis skin
>Sonic Mania skin
>Sonic Game Gear skin
>Sonic Advance skin
>Sonic Generations skin

they already did before mario maker was even a thing
google playsega level creator

Attached: play-sega-2[1].jpg (640x448, 80K)

... you guys should watch some gameplay of Mario Maker's "speedrun" levels.

youtu.be/zFxg5r6uOfk
Not them, but Mario and Sonic fundamentally have different philosophies in their level designs. Plopping one or the other in their respective environments would require one to function like the other moveset wise and one would be gimped. It’s why shit like “Somario” is stupid.

I know.
It's just the argument "can't be done because it's require massively autistic care and precision from the random dude making the level" is good. MM is full of guys like that, give them proper gotta-go-fast mechanics instead of constraining them with Mario's moves and they will have a field day.

See

See

See

See

what even is this thread, man