Mfw a game is advertised as "open world"

>mfw a game is advertised as "open world"
the open world meme was fun for a while, but now it needs to be retired. Devs are sacrificing level design for the open world meme and it needs to stop.

Attached: 1557181066759.jpg (546x546, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

roningamedeveloper.com/Materials/RandySmith_GDC_2006.ppt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

100% agreed. It has ruined Fallout, it has ruined Mirror's Edge, it has ruined Metal Gear Solid, it has ruined The Witcher, it has ruined Final Fantasy, it has ruined god damn Zelda. I'm sick of what the modern industry considers "open world". Fuck that garbage.

It's only gonna get worse.

Are you saying you don't like traversing empty deserts and forests?

The problem is that, like other kinds of padding in the industry, this gets widely accepted because the average video game player is a padder or a casual

The padder would rather spend 60 bucks on a 200 hour average game than 60 bucks on a 20 hour masterpiece

The casual never bothers finishing his games to begin with, he only sees the first 10% of the game and then moves on with his life

Nintendo literally just fell for the meme now, so I give it at least two more decades before we're out of the woods.

I think that is what he is saying, yes.

No, What needs to stop is this shitty story narrative that does not work with certain games. I hate the idea that I have to open up a potential story that I will like and just find out later is full of bullshit plot holes, no what we need is open-world no story.

Pic unrelated

Attached: cfghfgjfgjk.png (908x370, 582K)

BUT MUH IMMERSHUN!!!!!!!

prototype was always fun

Nothing inherently wrong with that if it serves a purpose. Either for gameplay, environment design or story. I wouldn't mind traversing the distance as long as there is interesting stuff to find and see. However just putting space to pad out game time is just shit design.

But if these empty deserts and forests arent in the game...is it really open world?

Attached: 1567115084133.webm (900x506, 2.89M)

You are everything that is wrong with vidya. Die.

open worlds are fun in games like prototype, mercenaries, hulk ultimate destruction, infamous, red faction guerilla, spiderman, basically games with navigational gimmicks or just make your own fun kind of destruction. but in games like witcher 3 or skyrim where it's just a big flat open world with no design thought but into it and you just follow a marker around it basically feels pointless.

shit, MW and underground 2 are among my fav games of all time, but I prefer the tighter tracks of hot pursuit 2 or underground 1. that being said open world games where player agency in regards to navigation is emphasized, such as mafia 1 or gothic 1/2, and the world is properly designed to reflect that, the OW itself does feel like a good addition, likewise for midnight club 3 and san andreas.

I would unironically have every game become a microtransaction fest if it meant the open world meme died. I mean it.

>Metal Gear Solid
Did you notice how the only fun missions in MGSV are the ones that take place in an enclosed area? (with the exception of those 4 sniper bitches on extreme).

Muh BIGGEST MAP IN THE FRANCHISE

>60% of the map you never go to or use le fast travel

Attached: 1567102055361.png (351x368, 146K)

You forgot sprinklong that 60% of the map with copy/paste "events"

Yup, it needs to die.

Bethesda and Rockstar should be tried for war crimes against vidya

THIS!!!!!!

We need to rise up against the retarded poorfag losers that care more about how much of his time is gonna get wasted in a game than how GOOD it actually is.

>open worlds are fun in games like prototype, mercenaries, hulk ultimate destruction, infamous, red faction guerilla, spiderman, basically games with navigational gimmicks or just make your own fun kind of destruction. but in games like witcher 3 or skyrim where it's just a big flat open world with no design thought but into it and you just follow a marker around it basically feels pointless.

Hit the nail on the head.

It works for some games, but yes, in general it is cancer.

I actually love collecting useless trinkets in real life so thr idea of collecting every flag/feather/treasure/secret really strokes my autism...especially since most of the time these collection quests are so very crucial to the uhhhhh...story. Yeah thats right. The story

Attached: 1567115699374.jpg (700x688, 56K)

Open world killed Hitman lol

>level design

Open world racing games are still fun, please disagree with me.

Sheeeeeiiiittttttt theres literally 4 games that do it right

Attached: 1566943968123.jpg (600x596, 50K)

i don't know how people are still impressed by the same big empty fields that have been in every aaa game for the past decade and keep begging for more of them. open-world "game" "design" is just an excuse to sell less content for the same price.

What? No Hitman game is open world. What ruined Hitman was the always online bullshit, especially the elusive targets. It's padding but in a different (less horrible) way.

forgot Crackdown, the added verticality from being able to jump really high made it fun as heck, especially since big missions had multiple possible routes to the objective

not that guy and I didn't play it yet but didn't the last hitman have like 3 or 4 very big levels where you got multiple missions and shit?

I saw a Ghost Recon game on steam just now that had open world in the description. I closed that page very quickly.

well with racing games the open world at least has a purposeful application so it isn't completely pointless, but I still prefer the well designed tracks of old GT/NFS/Burnout/Wipeout etc

How many fucking games make forests cool or interesting anyway? I can only think of Dark Souls 1

nah

Attached: 1567012084237.jpg (3840x2160, 2.02M)

GTAV and RDR2

Attached: 2019-07-01_4-47-52_PM-rngg0gus.jpg (3840x2160, 732K)

I don't remember any notable forests in RDR2, especially not GTAV. The alligator part in RDR2 was kinda cool I guess.

wow you must be blind

Attached: Grand Theft Auto V 8_3_2019 12_28_40 AM.jpg (3840x2160, 3.32M)

Donkey Kong ;)

Attached: 1567101477146.jpg (300x350, 27K)

I said cool or interesting you faggot. That's just a few trees thrown around with nothing around.

Fucking zoomer

>decide to play bad open world games exclusively
>ignore the good ones
>ignore anons recommending good open world games
>REEEE OPEN WORLD IS SHIT IT NEEDS TO END

that's just one part of it and it's literally where one of Trevor's hunting missions is. And there's a bunch of effects in motion it looks great when you're playing through it.

>ruined fallout
weren't they all open world?

Throw some good open world games at me, my man. I've got an itch.

You're just jealous that mom wouldn't buy you a 2080ti lmao

Attached: Grand Theft Auto V 7_30_2019 7_07_35 AM.jpg (3840x2160, 1.69M)

have you ever been in a real forest? there are no video game forests that are similar to real life. you cannot feel lost, you can always see right through them because the trees are so spaced a part and they don't impact walking at all. totally unrealistic

Reddit and normal people love openworld, why not tap into the business if it's gonna make millions?

MGSV is one of the best video games ever made

GTAV has a pretty big wilderness

Attached: Grand Theft Auto V 7_16_2019 5_44_42 PM.jpg (3840x2160, 1.43M)

Is that The Syndicate? Because that is some awful bloom

Attached: syndicate-bloom.jpg (620x349, 35K)

>open world

Couldnt you just say idk WORLD

Attached: 1566856766062m.jpg (1024x785, 154K)

Devs who can't design good open worlds most likely wouldn't be able to design smaller levels anyway.

bro just run around a play collectible simulator lol just turn your fun off

I haven't played MGSV yet but I've worked my way through the rest of the series over the past 3 years. I've never seen such a complete change in gameplay go so criticized by a fanbase before- literally it goes from a quick stealth game to a very slow open world shooter with time-wasting base elements. MGS1 is a classic, MGS2 was a gift, and MGS3 was a well-intended mistake that permanently sent the series off-trajectory.

are you stupid or just retarded?

But that open world is dull as fuck

not really. Tons of variety and even in the middle of nowhere there's reason to go hunting for animals

good one. well thought out.

I actually interned with a major publisher and met a lot of devs, learning a lot. The reason there's a push for "open world" is both a external and internal reason. On one hand, that word alone brings in a lot of customers and normies. On the other hand, it actually saves a company money because level design is actually a high ceiling skill that is devoted to a level designer professional. And there are a lot of tools for open world garbage such as procedural generation, 3D mapping of real world places, and simple scanning. KJP is actually using some open world generation software if you check who Ken Imaizumi follows.

Always remember that open world garbage like what TPP uses actually saves money. GTA is more like several levels woven into one.

what variety? it's just empty space between mostly similar (except for the few major locations) guard outposts. animal hunting is literally just there for completionists to get 100% and isn't actually useful.

FOX engine is great, one of TPP's strengths is ballistics, hence there's plenty of opportunity for long range sniping, but there's also always a close and dirty approach available too. Just because it's missing a roof and four walls doesn't make it bad level design.

the "open world" in Fallout 1 and 2 was just a really big picture of a map and you would traverse it by watching a red line go across it. You would play the game by fighting and talking in certain areas or in random encounters. It wasn't really open world.

It's like you spend all of your time wandering around in circles in a small part of the map with nothing going on and calling that the entirety of the game. In reality there's tons of environmental variation on the map and it's designed to be cut up into chunks for missions anyway.

That's more or less how the 3D games play out too, brainlet.

No it's not. You're not actually playing while you're on the map screen dumbass.

>In reality there's tons of environmental variation on the map
I asked "what variety", I didn't ask you to just repeat that there is variety. I've played the game through to 97% completion. The only variety in the game is how you approach completing goals. That has nothing to do the open world as you had that same freedom in Ground Zeroes. All open world provided was copy+paste side ops and a lot of empty traveling from A to B

I mean the actual maps themselves. Open world can be done right if they actually hire a competent level designer to stitch several carefully made level maps into one. I'm using TPP as an example because they literally cut corners with making an actual open world. I don't single them out since others do the same thing, it's just that TPP is an easier example to use since it's recent.

All I'm saying is, if a company is touting an open world in their marketing, expect cut corners for the sake of saving shekels and increasing profits. Crackdown 3 & watchdogs are unfortunate examples of this.

likewise with 1&2

Gothic 1, 2, NotR, Risen, Elex
Ass Creed 1, 2, Brotherhood, Black Flag
Pathologic 1, 2
Morrowind
Stalker SoC, CoP
GTA San Andreas, IV
Fallout 1, 2
First Zelda, BotW
Far Cry 2

Variety in terrain and vegetation and base structure. Yes there's a lot of samey filler content but that's just what filler content is.

TPP's maps are fine though.

I played open world games in 1997 and they've always been superior to the corridor games made for smoothbrains.

It's about as open-world as Mario 64

>ubishit
>Far Cry 2
>good

no

Attached: 1558315733654.png (645x731, 216K)

I was talking about 1 and 2, downie. In Fallout 4 you spend a long time traversing the boring world while in Fallout 1 and 2 it's much quicker to get there.

For a stealth game... it sorta is. Stealth is a puzzle genre more than it is combat. You rely on cases of cover and "positive"/"negative" to navigate through undetected. Not saying open world can't be done but it means that enemy sight has to be vastly reduced or the space is just wasted as you walk between interesting buildings to stealth into.

This GDC talk is a great read if you want to see how stealth level design works. Everything is based on balancing player power with weakness through traversal- which means that open world is very opposed to the genre.

roningamedeveloper.com/Materials/RandySmith_GDC_2006.ppt

Sorry, I meant to say you are playing the game while traversing the map in 1 and 2.

>For a stealth game... it sorta is.
Nope, and anyway that's what FOB is for not to mention the interior bases and whatever available on the map already. Lighting is also crucial to stealth design which is something FOX handles flawlessly

>it's open world!
>vast majority of map is empty with a few spots of loot scattered about
>all main missions take place near or in enclosed spaces
Great open world you made there

based retard

>my opinion is an objective measure of quality

Attached: 1565988954681.png (511x515, 29K)

what we need is an open world map thats moderately sized but has more side missions and every building is enterable. Imagine the detail they had in red dead 2 put into a map half its size

Attached: 1484323734375.jpg (1600x1030, 322K)

Honestly, I never saw a problem with this. The open-world never felt like it was too big to get through in MGSV when you had D-Horse or Walker, and if a mission had you go through the entire map they at least set up interesting obstacles. Beyond that, the open-world gives you more options for sneaking into these enclosed spaces. What would you suggest; that TPP have instanced levels?

Far Cry 2 is objectively shit

there are literally two cannibal clans you have to fight in different forests in RDR2

>that TPP have instanced levels?
Not that guy you're responding to but it even pretty much does that with FOBs.

Never actually played online beccause I pirated the game lol. Isn't this literally just other players Mother Base?

No it's not

god i wish i was the guy in green

Yeah but it's also the hardest difficulty the game throws at you and has that confined interior feel on a scale that is largely absent in the maps.

The game that suffered the most was MGS5. Kojima ended up so much damn time on making that shitty overworld that the game ended up incomplete and boring.

Zelda was surprisingly fine enough but if they condensed it more and focused more on dungeons, we could have had a moderately big overworld with 8 dungeons...

lol MGS5 is only boring if you're boring.

That is why I support good linear single player games I don't know where this meme came from making them seem bad by the General Public

And now because people also want to try to get their money's worth by $60 game developers and Publishers are now pushing for pointless collecting and meaningless fluff in a game

Attached: 45689867645664.jpg (1440x1440, 582K)

>X style of game is better than Y
Why can't we be friends?

Imagine playing games solely for the rush of triggering scripted sequences and objective complete animations lul

Smadh Mouth's version was better than War's version

MUHDIK AMIRITE MUHFUGGA

better than following markers around an empty open world

>What's that, you want a linear game?

Attached: image.jpg (720x720, 150K)

The open world meme was never good. Even when GTA 3 came out I could see it for the shitfest it was. If I had to name 100 of my favorite PS2 games Gay Theft Autism wouldn't make the cut.

Having the story leading the gameplay and not the reverse is a recipe for dissatisfied customers and shit posting

For the most part, I'd agree. Fuck the open world meme, it just ruins games. Although BotW hugely benefited from it and I wouldn't mind an open-world Resident Evil game.

I want games to go back to the Ratchet and Clank style of level design. Smaller, individual worlds with personal levels of detail, themes and styles.

Those types of games will never come back fren :(

Attached: 1566852498364.jpg (1600x1253, 392K)