Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wzKPotUjnq8
youtube.com/watch?v=sr1g-eZrMWU
youtube.com/watch?v=vzpbCrUiTVE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I just tire of grinding and most being super samey

nah

I used to, but then i played any rpg made in the past 15 years and was dying for turn based to be the standard again

Attached: WLkMbsoGc_J0oXF_vbeVL59ssToe8nFlxlCwwxOMrbY.jpg (592x468, 30K)

No, but I try to only play good games not bad ones

Attached: 1544863931034.jpg (1300x1594, 1.1M)

Its easy as shit as 4 fighters though

They certainly can be. It used to be that individual battles were rarely a threat, but the games were designed that healing and magic restoration resources were limited so it was about optimizing your actions to explore as far as possible and return safely.Now most games decided to let you have all the resources you could possibly want so the gameplay is irrelevant outside boss battles. A short 30 hour RPG can still be fun with this design, but they all want to be 60+ hour monsters as well. That's when it becomes tedious.

Wasn't it easier if the 4th character was something else to have due the limited equipement?

Not really, it's what I play the most currently because how easy to leave and return later they are.

I like the idea of them but they are usually pretty braindead, they give you all these spells and shit but you can usually just spam attacks or exploit elemental weaknesses to win

They're great casual game mechanics. Can turn your brain off and casually play them with no fast inputs.

They're so good even the new Yakuza 7 is gonna be turn-based.

Attached: 1555460763389.gif (500x500, 2.91M)

I love them in theory but most of them just use the combat as a tool to drag out the play time. They're stories first and games second in that case.
Etrian Odyssey and Dragon Quest are about the only two series that really get it right as far as actual JRPG combat goes.

Turn based can be great if the system itself is not completely braindead. I mostly enjoy Etrian Odyssey, SaGa and Megaten.
Final Fantasy is a shitty turn based series.

Not at all
It's chill games you can put a podcast or nice music to while grinding most of the time

Sure, they're fine. I enjoyed takes like LISA, srpgs, Wizardry when it's not being obnoxious.

I feel when people rail against turn-based combat, they're really railing against that weird turn-of-Y2K trend where every attack was an animator's chance to show off.

Turn-based games are relaxing when done right

'Take your time, there's zero rush'

They replace Skill based growth with numbers based growth, so in that sense, its not as grindy a genre as other genres like fighting games, but it feels grindier because youre not learning all the time

>I feel when people rail against turn-based combat, they're really railing against that weird turn-of-Y2K trend where every attack was an animator's chance to show off.
actually, it's more that they're just retards who think every turn-based jrpg is as basic and barebones as dragon quest because they've hardly played the genre.

Only DQ 1-3 are actually barebones, desu, and theyre innovators in the genre

name 10 turnbased games where you dont have to grind to have fun

How would you improve turn based combat?

by making it real-time

Dragon Quest is fucking great faggot. Most JRPGs with bad combat are bad because they collapse under their own weight or can't get their math right.

you could probably pick 10 jrpgs from the past 20 years at random and not have to grind in any of them unless you're a brainlet.

turn-based rpgs suck
turn-based strategy games are good

FUCK ATB

So is it the same insufferable autistic retard that keeps obsessively making threads to get people to complain about turn based RPPGs?

turn based rpgs were merely a way to give the players something to do as means of a game while telling them they're being sold on a A+ story.

i don't hate dragon quest, but people view it as the stereotype that all turn-based jrpgs are like, even though there are plenty of jrpgs with radically different approaches to turn-based combat.

The amount of games you're actually expected to grind in in the genre is actually very small, relatively. The option to grind is basically there to enable players to control their own difficulty, but most JRPGs, even the absolutely shitty ones, can usually be completed ran straight if you understand them.

It's not turn based. It's random encounters that do it for me. Such a tedious and boredom inducing mechanic. I just flat out don't play games that have it now.

Yes, just like books they are an outdated form of entertainment. The only reason they were ever a thing is limited technology.

>The only reason they were ever a thing is limited technology.
holy shit, zoomers are obnoxious with this myth. action rpgs have been around as long as turn-based rpgs. technology has nothing to do with it, it's always been a stylistic choice.

no, it's zoomers who are mad that the new yakuza game is turn-based.

I started playing the Dragon Quest series a few years ago, and had gotten through the first 5 and just started 6 when 11 came out.
I decided to put 6 on hold and try out the lastest shiny DQ and holy shit 11 was boring outside of boss battles. It keeps throwing MP at you, especially from full-restore on level up. It completely utterly didn't matter at all what you do in non-boss battles, whether you use all your highest spells or just melee attack and heal afterwards or go full-AI-auto or whatever. There was no feeling of being worn down by the dungeon.
Is this a common thing these days?

Now I'm back to playing 6 again and having a good time.

Smt1
FF8
Romancing SaGa 2
Mother 2
Live A Live
Treasure of the Rudras
Any fire emblem

Explain to me what is those ATB, CTB or whatever the name is that Final Fantasy keeps adding?

I agree. To be honest the only Dragon Quest I enjoy and can replay with no problem is the first one. One-on-one battles are fucking great and wandering alone makes me unironically immersed and makes the world feel huge.
play better games nigger

Chrono Cross is designed around perfect leveling.

Grandia 2, SMT3, and Etrian Odyssey do it pretty interestingly.
It works great in SRPGs as well.
Arcanum interestingly lets you switch, which shows some advantages to using turn based combat.

>Smt1
Man, if it weren't for the fact that the game is unplayable without a guide, it would be one of the comfiest JRPGs out there
youtu.be/wzKPotUjnq8

don't you need to grind a little to help unlock the best magic in Romancing SaGa 2? it's been a while since I played it so I could be wrong

I like them, as I can play while eating. Im fond of tactics games too

The original few DQ's were balanced that if you just fought everything, you'd be good to go. But dungeon runs would be a roll of the dice in terms of if you had enough MP to make it. That's why the punishment for failure was super light in comparison. Just lose some gold. Tatstes changed over the years though and this aspect of "can I make it" turned into "this is tedious and annoying."

Not saying either mentality is right, just pointing out philosophy.

youtube.com/watch?v=sr1g-eZrMWU

Hated them as a kid, love them now that I'm older.

Attached: 1462333291371.jpg (960x720, 71K)

Not if you play the good, well balanced ones.

not when it's a cool&sexy game like Wizardry

Roquelikes are turn based rpg too

Pretend I was smart enough to post this as well
youtube.com/watch?v=vzpbCrUiTVE

western turn based games, with positioning and depths are great

fuck jap shit

It's so fucking obvious most people who complain about turn based have played only pokemon or final fantasy.

All posts complaining about turn based combat are really just complaining about Japanese games. Not because the whiners actually care, they rarely play more than moments of the "hypest" games currently out anyways.
They whine because they know that JRPG fans are naturally defensive about what they play and will respond to shitty threads every single time to defend their favourite game despite it never being mentioned by name in the OP. It's efficient bait for farming (You)s.

Only if they're unoriginal in their execution and the stories are drawn out nonsese.

Nothing to do with whether they're turn based or not.

You say that, but I think those games get a lot of things right that other turn-based games don't

I can hardly get into Megaten, for example, because of how absolutely basic it is. That series really has not progressed beyond simplistic elemental attacks, buff/debuff shit and status effects that literally every JRPG under the sun has which makes me wondered how they're heralded as the second coming of good gameplay when your average Pokemon or FF game has much more depth to it

Literally any JRPG if you are smart enough to keep track of your skills/equipment.

Have you played SMT3?

JRPGs? Yes.
Wizardry? No.

I played 1 and Strange Journey, along with all the Persona games

I would strongly advise you to try SMT3.

>DUDE.. LOL

>SO HARD TO PRESS INVENTORY AND ACCURATELY GUESS WHWRE TO PUT YOUR THINGS
>MY MATH IS GOOD KEEP GOING
>BARKBARKBARK THE BRAINWASHINGS KIDDING IN

>claims that he cant into megaten
>has played seven fucking games
Ok

Hello schizophrenic

>hurr im ESL
if you ever said some shit like this to me in prison id knock your fucking teeth out

I don't hate the series and I think it often has some interesting narratives, but gameplay wise the only one that did anything for me was P1, ironically

>persona is megaten
literally kill yourself, amerimutt

Depends on how it is done
In order for turn based to be good, it needs to:
-Not have lengthy animations
-Not have any kind of grind
-Not have lengthy battles
-Be more interesting than spam your best attack and have your healers heal every turn until the enemy dies
-Not try to shoehorn in some kind of time sensitive inputs
A good example of a good turn based rpg would be shin megami tensei.
A good example of a bad turn based rpg would be final fantasy.

Depends. Barkley shut up and jam gaiden was great

SMT is often overrated due to its moderate difficulty so fans get full of themselves for figuring out that spamming elemental weaknesses is complex or something.

I only like the ones that change things up like Paper Mario or Undertale

SMT requires plenty of grinding in order to fuse demons that are actually worth a damn, and basically is just about spamming your best attack (or whatever the enemy's elemental weakness is) and healing. Battles do end up very lengthy if you don't have an enemy weakness, and boss battles are still long even if you do have spam the weakness unless you're in a game that allows cheesing via zio stun spam or something like that

They are not real time so they can't be tedious.

>All posts complaining about turn based combat are really just complaining about Japanese games
Nope. I'm a huge JRPG hater, but love Japanese action games like DMC and Bayonetta.

Attached: how do I beat this without grinding.png (1880x2166, 490K)

Yeah that's it. Most people that complain about the genre tend to play it like idiots.

They're my favorite type of game.

>Unplayable
Literally just talk to NPCs nigger the game isn't that confusing, literally the only problem part is right after timeskip when you have to deal with the Ginza guy and getting heroine

Persona IS megaten
Persona is NOT smt

Love em. Been on a turn based RPG kick, actually. So far I've been playing:
The Quest
Legends of Amberland
Aeon of Sand
Knights of the Chalice
Dungeons of Chaos
Swords and Sorcery

Anymore like these out there? Modern turn based games that look like they were made for the 90s.

Attached: Reasons to live.jpg (482x395, 36K)

>grinding grinding grinding
This and really tell me a lot about Yea Forums's average skill in RPGs.

which is strange to me because every person i've had extended conversations about turn based games who says their shit also has been a mega pokemon fan. makes me think.

Why do you think Yea Forums likes games like Dishonored and Prey 2017?
Action games that call themselves RPGs so retards on the internet can pretend to be into role-playing games.

Because pokemon is the easiest one of them all.

This man single-handedly killed rpgs forever.

Attached: 1558977371231.jpg (712x731, 57K)

I like swords.