Why aren't there more games geared towards actual roleplaying?

Why aren't there more games geared towards actual roleplaying?

Attached: soa_roleplaying_1.png (1055x521, 437K)

It's boring

That fucking game is cursed. Good lord anons, never play it. Never.

Im fucking serious. For the love of god, never aproach it, not with a single 12 foot pole, not with two.

You do know phrasing it like that will draw anons closer. Give us your reasons.

Most games don't even try, supposed RPGs being openly hostile to playing in-character with incrediblynon-thematic mechanics or strong incentives to "win" with meta-strategies, that sort of thing. Honestly, the best RP potential tends to be found in strategy gaming. I think I'm not wrong in saying that most people play games like Stellaris or Crusader Kings for the RP, and games like Dominions have even had successful RP house rule games, in addition to light RP being commonplace in regular matches.

Attached: Caelum - C'tis diplomacy.jpg (1800x6000, 1.84M)

>entire fucking system was a rigged patreon that for months granted people several special abilities for 100 bucks per month with special abilities removed if they did not pay
>host notorious for cheating in his character into important positions, cheated himself in millions, cheated enchanted items, special maggufins and worse
>administration so bad that with 11 admins, unless you are personaly friends with em, you will not get answered (slightly fixed recently)
>if the host did not like you, he could stealth reduce your damage by 50% and boost others 50%, which he did repeatedly
>birthing rp is not uncommon, but less uncomon is rape, abortions and worse
>community so festeringly shit that it was almost impressive
>atleast three major cuckplots happening at all times
>game entirely decided on fighting, despite being rp, with people breaking ic constantly to meta gay a fucking BYOND game
>hosted not only on byond but coded by 2 volunteers and 1 underpaid in poverty coder
>trees regrowing did not work for about 4 months
>host straight up quit devving this to make a third game, with this being a second one, to milk his cows
>literaly only fun with friends, but they become fags
People knew me for playing this game. I wont outright say what I did but FUCK ME, this is legit a cursed game. A few people unironicaly getting cucked to death did happen. Worse than huey.

Sounds great, downloading right now :^)

You joke, but Im actually serious user. Do so at your own risk if you want, shits adictive as fuck.

fpbp

I remember playing the Dragon Ball BYOND game with Yea Forums, it was fun.

This but with the Dragon Ball games. Honest to god I do not need someone playing out RAPE in a children's series and then talking OOC about how they went to juvie and irl raped a dude. It was fucking unsettling. Also constantly grinding and feeling like you're on a timer only to get beat down by morons who weren't very good at constructing a story or make a consistent character just did not work well. Gameplay wasn't even that great and you ran into more idiots than worthwhile players.

>the Dragon Ball BYOND game
Which one? There's been hundreds over the years and they're all kind of forgettable save a few.

I forget which one, someone on here hosted a server for one of them about a year and a half ago i think? That's about as much as I remember unfortunately.

Oh hey, I coded and mapped for one of those Finale rips. Funny to see people on Byond talking about them.

Probably "Curtain Call" or "Roleplay Tenkaichi". Either that or "Final Revelations", maybe even some other random one. There's honestly so much trash on Byond.

Attached: 1419632904913.png (357x368, 139K)

Notable people of Agartha
>american goblin who donated plasma irl to pay for a Plasma hidden skill ingame (electrical, not actual blood)
>a very, very fat accountant brazilian that erp'd so much she almost got banned for it
>two people who nonstop act like edgelords and try to outcuck eatchother every single character because ???
>one very very rich degenerate that donated so much cash they ascended into effective godhood and has ingame millions and that would not shut the fuck up about liking rape, oviposition and whatnot
>a random fucking icelander who battlechadded every single person he ever met across his character to the point of community notoriety and actively shittalked the host
Goddamn, I miss Salmon. That nigger was my fucking spirit animal.

Because there is no way to mechanically reward roleplaying in a video game. You can't have a program look at how a player is playing the game and reward it appropriately for proper roleplaying. The closest you can get is rewarding them for one particular style of play, but that's not really encouraging roleplaying as it is rewarding a play style method - people still accept quests and collect bear asses in WoW without actually roleplaying anything.

Roleplaying is really something that the player does for the benefit of the player. As such, it's not really something you can easily dictate or determine if they are doing it well enough. The best you can do is make roleplaying a viable choice while they play the game, which makes it more an option to play rather than the designed method. You could say that a player might roleplay for the benefit of other players in the game, but that's more up to the other players to determine if it is being done well. Or, indeed, to care at all.

you dont RP in Dominions for RP alone, a good bit of the motivation is that if you're funny you're more likely to setup a successful trade deal or NAP that will kingmake you

Dominions diplomacy is some high effort shit

you dont RP in Dominions for RP alone, a good bit of the motivation is that if you're funny you're more likely to setup a successful trade deal or NAP that will kingmake you

Dominions diplomacy is some high effort shit

roleplay in 4X games and to some extent grand strategy is a viable substitute for serious realpolitik diplomacy

back a demand of reparations from germany with threats of war as Poland and you can usually get the English and French players on your side despite the fact that Poland is the strongest civ among those options in Civ V for example

Actually impossible to do. People are going to get bored, and it's hard enough to managed 6 players in table top games. What you need to ask yourselves is "Where do people get their fun?" "How do the people making the game benefit." "How can we hold the audience's attention?" "Are there resources to make sure the game is engaging?" Having played some of the shitty roleplay games on Byond I can tell you that just about all of them fail on every regard, and the only successful game on Byond is SS13. It is successful because there's not much commitment needed, so you can't fall behind. You have a new character every round, so you can do whatever you want, and there isn't moderators needed to insure roleplay is "epic" and "rewarding". Instead they just police dumb fucks. Agartha and all games like it will always be corrupt and only be made for the person who made them to power trip and earn cash. "Writing a new one" spent hundreds of dollars to get perks in other roleplaying games. Eventually he made his own and he didn't have to pay anymore. I wonder if that at all reflects the state of his game or those similar?

Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds are the best roleplaying experience in a video game that you can get. It's a shame there are three mega popular servers and the rest have generally small numbers.

Just create a twitter account or participate in a discord or forum RP, some of them have even an organized set of rules. It's not that hard and even a lot of normies are actually into this kind of shit

>Little Brother wants to play
>Okay, make a character to play with him
>My character is an edgelord, naturally, because edgelords make me laugh but he looks out for bro and is actually just really tsudendere
>Brothers is just fairly chatty
>Go into town, talk to the other edgelords
>One decides to attack him
>Gets banned for powergaming for trying to fight back in the RP command thing (this also bans me), being that he was not aware of the multitude of powers his opponent had
Well, okay then.

Yeah in SS13 the RP is pretty damn light in most servers. On /vg/station people call eachother niggers and are generally allowed to shitpost as long as it's not writing stuff like "kek" and "lol" and also not talking about ingame mechanics out if character.

Played on Arelith and fucking Vlad one (can't remember what it's called). Both were pretty fun. I'm not aware of a third one, which would that be?

test

can you have sex in this?

Vlad one? Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mists? It's usually a toss up between Ravenloft and Arelith for popularity, the third most popular one seems to be EFU nowadays. I play on Ravenloft, people there seem to dislike Arelith because it's more casualised and more "non-RP friendly" things such as class combos are allowed.

Vlad one? Ravenloft? The third most popular one appears to be EFU or Cormyr but still Arelith and Ravenloft are in a league of their own which is strange considering there's some servers that should draw quite the playerbase such as the Planescape one.

Ravenloft, yes. I stopped playing because I was frustrated over the fact that all the guards were aggro'd against my character at all times for some reason. I might play, but I'm not sure if you can remake into the same person. It was fun, though, but there were a lot of silent-corner-standing types. I probably talk too much as well, in those sorts of games. But I enjoyed both. I stopped playing because I was busy, might pick one or the other or both back up. With Arelith, I found that people were more willing to stop and chat.

Not sure if it was Arelith but my recent experience with PWs was
>join server
>make a half-orc blackguard because I'm feeling edgy
>"oh, this server has custom commands"
>do the command to see the listing
>first one I pick off the lot to read
>"/erectpenis - makes your penis erect"
>leave server
>uninstall game

It's kinda cliquey yeah. Guards aggro because Barovians are supposed to be rayciss so you were probably a Caliban, a Half-Orc or something. You should've rolled a simple Human outlander as your first character. RP-wise Barovians distrust you but not as much as they distrust or even hate non-humans or Gundarakites. You can also play as a Barovian of course but that requires some knowledge of how to properly play one.

If you roll another character you should join a faction probably. Easiest way to interact with others, besides DMs oversee and run events for them.

Was probably sinfar. It's the only popular ERP server. On most of the others erotic roleplaying is instaban.

Damn I haven't touched BYOND in years. I remember playing BYOND back in 2002 when Dragon Warrior Online was a thing (picture related)

Anyway I used to roleplay on this server around 2003 or so in BYOND. It was pretty gay, just like it is now. I got fed up and found some programs online that would make you invincible, let you walk through walls, rain bombs all over the place... etc.

I used to go around and just screw with people all the time and rarely ever got banned.

Attached: dwo.jpg (800x444, 197K)

I was a Half-Elf. The other players suggested that they might have seen me use a magic spell, which is why they were aggressive. I tried to get it resolved with the player guards but no luck.

>spires
lmao just play lifeweb
you aren't a newfag, right? :^)

theres a difference between playing a role and talking to people
they can be together but you dont need one to have the other

Resolved with the player guards? They can't control what the NPCs do, did you contact a DM?

its cringe desu. I've been seeing that gta rp shit and its just so cringe. Its all cringe cringe and none of it is based.

I was told by the DM I contacted that eventually it would stop, but it didn't.