Linux gaming thread

What would have to happen in order for you to switch to Linux to play video games?

Attached: tux.png (2000x2320, 458K)

Other urls found in this thread:

system76.com/laptops
dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/sc/laptops/xps-laptops?appliedRefinements=10673
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware
wiki.xen.org/wiki/VTd_HowTo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

But user, I did
but getting some error while instaling Wine, so I am unable to play ss13
haven't really looked up possible solutions yet tho

Already do, user. I don't use anything Adobe so I don't really have a reason not to.

Attached: 1555350362298.png (171x200, 65K)

What do we think of Proton?

I'm already there though.
The games I like are toaster grade, and run fine on Linux with minimal fiddling. I'm building a Linux centric PC with known compatible parts to ensure as few issues as possible.

premade laptop with linux as default os. that's it.

Attached: tumblr_inline_pj72571oCL1rnk4xr_1280.gif (303x312, 34K)

>ss13 on wine
You'e a brave man.

I was playing a game on Linux just a few minutes ago, user. I don't see what the problem is.

Valve could not be more based

Those already exist.

Doesn't System76 have few really nice ones?

what other options do I have

Being able to play pretty much anything with little to no issues, this includes decades old games and new games. I'm not sure what it's like now, but Linux was my daily driver for ten years, up until a few years ago because it just wasn't right for games.

>Linux
>Gaming

Choose 1, you're not getting both.

>that's what Microsoft shills actually want you to think
my huge Lutris library disagrees

So about 80% of steam games and alot of nonsteam games through lutris is not gaming?
Linux isnt as good as windows but its progress made me switch and now im playing over 90% of my games on a better OS.

I've been running windows in a vm with gpu passthrough for years, but it was kind of inconvenient because in order for it to work i had to forbid the host os from using my gpu so i had to use the integrated graphics for linux, kernel updates also fucked with the vm from time to time. I switched to just using wine a few days ago because i heard about dxvk and it works fine with sekiro and sc2 so far. Things are slower than with the gpu passthrough setup, but still on an acceptable level. It's also more hassle to get games working but with stuff like lutris i at least donĀ“t feel the urge to pull out my hair like when i tried normal wine years ago. It's overall pretty pleasant so far.

I just use a VM
Unfortunately that means a 10% CPU hit
Despite that I just bought a Vega 56 on impulse, should be here in a few days.

Why not just dual-boot?

Attached: 1559906798168.jpg (706x706, 32K)

you ragequit just before the good shit started
Linux can play about 80% of all games because of Steam and Lutris

Dual boot is prone to fail cause people are dumb,i hate windows 60% of the time,and theres little incentive to do so

I already have switched. I have been playing most of my games on linux for years and about a week ago I also got the few blizzard games I still used windows 10 for working using wine.
WoW retail is the only thing that works slightly worse than on windows, but I am fine with it since I don't have to keep switching between operating systems every 5 minutes anymore.

I hate Windows 100% of the time, but there are some things you just can't do on Linux or with a VM. I keep a Windows partition for that. Ironically, playing games is the one thing I can't do on it, because the nVidia card that took thirty seconds to enable in Ubuntu wasn't recognized by Windows after 8 fucking hours of troubleshooting.

I didn't rage quit, I just got tired of dual booting when I was spending more and more time in Windows, so I didn't install Linux when I built another computer. I'll probably install it again when I get into IT.

To be fair if you are too dumb to dual boot you are definitely too dumb to solve all the errors wine throws at you or get a proper vm working. I don't dual boot because it's more convenient if i can get it working fine without needing to reboot.

I've already switched for other reasons, but there's absolutely no reason to switch if you just want to play video games, unless microsoft somehow completely fucks up windows.

I'm planning to switch for the new PC I'm building because I'm just fed up with Windows. Still deciding whether to dual boot for the few games that won't work well on Linux or to figure out how to do a GPU passthrough thingy that I don't fully understand for a Windows VM.

system76.com/laptops
dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/sc/laptops/xps-laptops?appliedRefinements=10673

test

I love Linux, I still game on Windows under a VM with GPU passthrough

go with GPU passthrough
You won't have one partition wasting space and the VM will take exactly as much as it needs, nothing more.

You can do both with the same windows installation actually. Just use an entire partition as the storage for the vm, and than you can also boot into it normally if you configure grub right.

Getting an external hd to back up my shit. That's really it.

yes

I got two problems right now.

1.) I've been told that you can add non-steam Windows games to Linux Steam and force Proton compatibility, but I've tried it and it doesn't work.

2.) The Steam version of Final Fantasy XV won't boot with Proton because of Denuvo. I've done research and have learned that SOME Denuvo protected games work with proton/wine/dxvk, but most don't.

It seems like the better option but I'm having trouble figuring out if the motherboard I bought will work for it or not. Do you know how to tell, because I found this in the manual and searching it finds stuff related to VMs but I'm not sure if it's what I need. It seems that my CPU will work though.
I asked this in the questions thread on /g/ a little while ago but haven't gotten a response yet

forgot image

Attached: motherboard.png (665x160, 13K)

Been running Debian for years, but opening up Steam again for the first time in a long while and seeing that the Linux games list had grown to 80% of my library was nice. Looks like PC gaming is back on the menu, boys.

I really want to switch but I'm a bit nervous. What if I end up missing Windows?

you will go back to windows

Look your hardware up here.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware

wiki.xen.org/wiki/VTd_HowTo

Archwiki is a good resource for setting the things up, i also used the vfio blog last time i did it but it seems that it didn't get updated for years, there might be better ways to do it now.

SR-IOV is makes it possible to present a single physical device as multiple virtual ones, and it's not related to GPU passthrough. As far as I know there are no consumer grade GPUs that support it.

that's a big pussy she has

Well I'm not seeing my motherboard in either list, and the second link says that Asus doesn't support Linux and may have bios issues, so maybe I should find a different motherboard either way. Wish I'd decided on switching to Linux before I started buying stuff.
Ok, thanks for letting me know. Still trying to figure out all this stuff.

my laptop runs linux and i have a ps4 for vidya

I did that for about 8 years. Eventually I realized that I wasn't using Linux most of the time and occasionally going into Windows to play games, but I was instead spending most of my PC time in Windows playing games and forcing myself to boot into Linux for web / email / video / other usage just to justify having it installed. Now I'm back to using Windows for practically everything and have a small Linux partition for rare things I find easier to do with it.

I'm the complete opposite. I used Windows for virtually everything just because it was easier to play games, but I started gravitating towards Linux more and more as I just started to detest using Windows and my amount of time spent playing games went down. Now I use Linux almost exclusively, and keep a small Windows partition for the few things I can't get to work in a VM.

Attached: kumbee shrug.jpg (480x360, 24K)

Those lists look pretty old for the most part. Chances are it'll work fine, but it's hard to say for sure.

Question about partitions. I currently have two drives. One with Windows and a 1tb one for downloads and shit. If I partition say 10gb for the Linux installation. Can I use the rest of it while I'm booting off that partition?

dont partition, just buy a $20 ssd

But i do, sort of. pokemon tcgo runs fine under wine. literally just ran the .msi and thats it

that said i mostly dual boot to specifically keep games and steam off of my main pc (where i do my dev work, video editing, etc (manjaro))

But i do, sort of. pokemon tcgo runs fine under wine. literally just ran the .msi and thats it

test

Different user but due to the way my case is I don't have room for another ssd. I'd have to remove one.

I use Linux 90% of the time, but I still have Windows installed just in case. Mostly for Dolphin netplay and Smash modding.

do you have a DVD drive?

>Can I use the rest of it while I'm booting off that partition?
Yes, you can. If you install a Linux partition on a drive, and then boot into Linux, you can still use the other partitions on that drive just fine.

Most I can do is use a 20gb nvme. Never booted with one though so idk how that'd go.

so would a good set up for dual booting be a small SSD for Windows, a bigger SSD for Linux plus games I want to run faster, and then a hard drive for anything else?

Honesty, as long as my Windows license works, there's no reason for me to switch, even if there was 100% game compatibility and performance parity on Windows. Proton is a mega step forward but I'd like to see origin/uplay do the same.
I run Linux on my laptop with a Windows dual boot I go into every so often to play a few games. My desktop is 100% Windows and like I said, I won't ever change it. Whenever I go to a new laptop, I'll run it 100% Linux, but my current is 5 years old and still serves me just fine and I'll keep it until something breaks

yeah, that's good

I already switched to linux recently because I got a new computer that I couldn't just stick with 7 on and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck going to Windows 10. I'm more of a consolefag anyway but regardless Proton does enough heavy lifting that I'm not honestly missing out on much when I do decide to download something on steam.

also is posting on Yea Forums kinda fucky right now or is it just me/my extension

same, I get an error even though the post goes through

I use Linux 90% of the time, but I still have Windows installed just in case. Mostly for Dolphin netplay and Smash modding.