How do I get into Castlevania, Yea Forums? I was thinking of picking up pick related...

How do I get into Castlevania, Yea Forums? I was thinking of picking up pick related, but I heard that some of these games in the collection aren't very good or something? Also does the PS4 have Symphony of the Night?

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 52K)

That collection is a good place to start. It has most of the platformer style games rather than the metroid style ones. The only outright bad game in that collection is Castlevania: The Adventure. Simon’s Quest has a lot of flaws, but if you play it with a guide (trust me, you’ll need one with how cryptic it is) then it’s pretty enjoyable.

What's wrong with Castlevania: The Adventure?

Slow, slow, slooooowwwww gameplay, but it's only 4 levels long and can be easily cleared in one sitting.

Play dracula's curse:3c

PS4 does have Symphony of the Night. It comes in a collection with Rondo of Blood which is an excellent classic style game.

Yeah start with if you have a PS4. Two of the strongest games in the franchise.

This is an excellent start, 7/8ths of it are great, and you get the superior Japanese versions of some of them too.

Then get if you liked it.

I'm getting some mixed messages here. Do I start with SotN or not? Does it not really matter?

Not really. Depends on what interests you more: Metroid style exploration games or standard A-to-B side scrolling stages. You should eventually try both, though.

It doesn't. SotN is an extremely accessible start for the series and it's easy to move both forward and back from it, which is why a lot of people recommend it.

The storyline of the games isn't in any way linear or dependent on other titles by and large, so you can really start wherever you want. The only issue with the older games is that they're...well, older. The gameplay is a bit antiquated and not super accessible for most modern players.

Not OP, but at this point I've played most of the commonly recommended 2D Castlevanias. Are any of the 3D ones good?

SotN plays a lot like Metroid. There’s a single massive level that you traverse by gaining new upgrades and leveling up.
Classic Castlevania is multiple challenging levels where you go from A to B and fight a boss at the end.
Both have their merits (I personally prefer classic style) but choose to start wherever you want to.

Play Harmony of Despair, best multiplayer castlevania. There is a fanmade PC port as well

Lament of innocence is the better of the 2 on playstation
The n64 ones are janky as fuck like really janky
The LORDS OF SHADOW series is brothers Grimm trash and ruins it's own separate universe in 1 game

Did they fix the sound and add the FDS versions?

Yes.

test

I just the last update so bad bros...why did the creator have to be a spaz and not release the LAST UPDATE!?

As long as you play Aria of Sorrow before Dawn of Sorrow, you should be fine
And for Castlevania III just get a japanese ROM and apply a translation patch for the superior music
For the classic gamestyle, Super Castlevania IV and arguably Rondo of Blood are good starting games. The former focuses more on platforming, and the latter on the combat
For the metroid gamestyle, I think Aria of Sorrow is a better introduction, due to SotN being kinda long for someone new and the Soul system being really straightforward.
Keep in mind that sooner or later you'll have to start emulating GBA and DS

Attached: 1539508635707.jpg (1190x1800, 529K)

sotn is easy enough that it can prepare you for the horrors that are to come with the classic games, but unfortunately once you play it you will have also played the best game in the series and thus will only eternally crave something to match it

Play only IGA canon games.

Lament of Innocence isn't great compared to the likes of DMC3 but it's a pretty decent action game on its own right.

Curse of Darkness is eh

The N64 games are antiquated and clunky as fuck and Lords of Shadow is a bland, uninspired, and boring side series unrelated to the main games

The Japanese version of 3 is on the Anniversary collection.

Not him but is that on the 1.1.0 update?