Daggerfall Unity

Hearing you guys talk about Daggerfall Unity getting to a point where it's playable, and I've been meaning to get around to it, so I loaded it up and configured everything and got into playing.

Any tips for first-timers who probably got too comfortable with Skyrim and quest markers? I don't want to sound like a dumb zoomer, but I think a lot of games today are so hand-holdy that I've actually gotten dumber and forgot how to think for myself in older games.

Shit like this for example - I talk to people (and there are a LOT more of them than in Skyrim) but am I supposed to go through every single bit of dialogue in the TELL ME ABOUT/WHERE IS with every fucking NPC? What's the etiquette here?

Attached: daggerfunity_001.jpg (1928x1227, 838K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Stealth
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not all at once, everybody!

Everybody went home to the RPG Codex. Try there.

you ask "where is" and then chose people, only quest related names should appear there
BUT first ask for directions for something, the speech check is far lower and once you succeed, the person won't tell you to fuck off anymore

So I don't have to exhaust the entire list of everyone's dialog options in hopes of them telling me something important? Like, it's actually pretty self-explanatory on when an NPC actually says something important?

nothing in the tell me row is important in any way exept names, they are usualy linked to quests
wait, how long are you playing

No, just go around asking random strangers and some of them will give vague directions and others might mark locations on your map. The game is primarily about dungeon crawling.

When it's something actually important, it will not be in the NPC dialogue menu, but the basic scroll with yellow text.

the kind of people on Yea Forums that play daggerfall are probably at work right now

Attached: unknown.png (1920x1080, 311K)

maybe they are on /vr/?

daggerfall isn't a console game so no

I started playing this a few hours ago.
How do stealth and stealing work? I walked into a few houses and it asks when I want to peer at private things, but will I get caught if I take things when nobody is in the room? There's also a steal button when looking at store stock. How does that work? The tutorial doesn't cover stealth things.

stealing is based entirely on your pickpocket skill and requires a really high pickpocket to succed so yeah you will probably get caught even if the room is empty
stealth is based on your movement speed, if you are standing in light or not, and is a constantly rolling check when near enemies

en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Stealth
for a better explanation

Attached: 20120227-robotthatscreams.png (600x599, 89K)

Is the option to get an ebony dagger at the start random or is it based on prior skills/choices?

Attached: JRRTolkienbot.jpg (469x465, 250K)

stealth is based on your movement speed, but you don't need it to break into houses since no one is usualy there
guards are summoned by random chance, first lockpickatempt and stealing attempt in the house is free but the guards can come at any moment.
Remember that your reputation is only affected if you actually take damage in their vicinety and the surrender message pops up, even if you murder the whole town, no one will care if the guards didn't catch you
don't bother with pickpocketing, it never works

If you get a quest the text pops up in the center of the screen. There isn't a single NPC in the entire game with any unique dialogue that actually appears in the dialogue menu itself. The main purpose of talking to people is to get directions to places.
This isn't a JRPG where you talk to everyone about everything or else you miss shit. As for the main quest all the major subplots will find their way to you as you level up. If you feel like you aren't advancing quick enough then talk to the nobles of Daggerfall, Wayrest, and Sentinel cities to see if they have something for you (again, as a pop up in the center of the screen when you click them, both for random quests and for main quests).

/vr/ used to have regular and active DF threads a couple years ago, I stopped checking so not sure if they still do, but there's definitely a crowd there for classic PC RPGs.

Based on prior skills/choices. The question and answer session you get is divided into broad classes, and certain skill combinations will always get the same Q&A.

I started last night, fumbling through the character creator not really knowing what I was doing and somehow made it out of that first dungeon.
I think I just need to get in the right mindset for this game. Like, I'm comparing it too much to Morrowind as a basis of reference (only with worse QoL features)

The only thing I can compare it to is like old school Dragon Quest where you have to press a button and a menu comes up to react with something as opposed to newer iterations where the action button does what you need to do given the circumstance. As someone who was used to walking into walls and pressing the aciton button to see if there was a hidden passage (Wolfenstein on PC ingrained me with that mindset), it was absolutely fucking awful to do that in early DQ games where you had to select shit from a menu. If any of that makes sense. Is Daggerfall to old Dragon Quest as Morrowind/Skyrim is to newer Dragon Quest?

THANK you. I was worried that was the case.

based on what answers that you'd have picked during the questions user

Is openMW %100 done content-wise?
How's tamriel rebuilt?

never played Dragon Quest but I played the orginal daggerfall and got frikkn headaches from it, the unity version made it much more bearable, if you are complaning about QoL here you probably would have cut your wrist in the orginal.
basic gist of the game is to get quests in in inns, guilds or palaces and do dungeon crawling, although not all quests need crawling, they are actually pretty dam varied in the sense of what you are doing.
the craling is both the best and the worst, it is usualy fun but dungeons are sooo big that even a simple 200g quest can take hours as you try to fine anything, also the levelscaling is retarded, but nothing new on that front from bethesta
you actually can set the console to generate smaler dungeons but the time I tried it, it busted my savefiles so I wait for the 1.0 version now

Attached: 1564761016330.jpg (718x1306, 374K)

multiplayer when?
Daggerfall MMORPG would be my jam