Why the fuckc an't I enjoy Hollow Knight? The game's near perfect from what I can tell (I'm about 4 hours in)...

Why the fuckc an't I enjoy Hollow Knight? The game's near perfect from what I can tell (I'm about 4 hours in). From gameplay to aesthetics, it's all brilliant both in concept and execution. But I find it so uninteresting after a while. Holy fuck, these endless corridors are worthless to me. They arne't thoughtless either, it's not Igavania, but I still cant't make myself enjoy any of it. What the fuck is up with that? Am I looking at the game from the wrong angle somehow?
(Pic unrelated.)

Attached: 10723735_245132905829144_2146873733_n.jpg (1080x1317, 99K)

I have the same problem. I love Metroidvanias and Souls games, so this seemed right up my alley. But no matter how much I try, I just can't get into it.

There's something strangely uninteresting about the world, isn't there? I keeps surprising me every now and then and yet it always feels like there are no more surprises ahead.

Attached: 1528998523775.jpg (1274x850, 102K)

Fuck off cumhead.

What? What the fuck are you on about, dipshit? Is this some neo-Yea Forums meme that I've missed?

OP i need sauce

I will die without it

The aesthetic might just not be for you, and I'd say the game heavily relies on playing up its atmosphere to glue everything together even if it's a mechanically solid game. There's definitely some "open space" as oppose to everything being really tight and close together. And while this space exists partially because of the movement it's also there for the atmosphere as well, with some locations being bigger than they really need to be to give a sense of awe. If you're not enjoying each new zone you step into, or the scenic views when you find a new park bench, then the game's probably just not for you.

Because the main character walks slow as fuck.

Good taste, user. CD is a nice studio.

i thought i was the only one. there's absolutely nothing wrong with the game but i cannot enjoy it

I've just started it last night, actually. I'm enjoying it but it's not grabbing me like a lot of Metroidvanias do. I thought about it a bit when I was pooping this morning and this is what I came up with:
>Aesthetics
Everything looks the same, enemies barely stand out unless they're one of rare ones with a splash of color
>Knockback from attacking enemies
Messes with the flow of combat and has led to several instances where I hit an enemy on the ledge and fell off the ledge
>Animations
There's a lot of really good animations and there's a LOT of bad and/or enemies that need more animations.
>Music
Generic somber meloncholy etc
Castlevania has its jams, Metroid has its weird alien stuff. This feels very "I'm inspired by 2010-14 indie scene"

I find the world interesting, but I also find it way too samey and bland. I think it's all the weird foreground elements that make it look cool, but they also distract from the gameplay for me. Take that away and the rooms aren't that interesting.

>I’ve just started it
>Everything looks the same
checks out

You'll die even if you do get it,
user.

Yes, you're wrong, submit to the hivemind of shit taste faggots who overrate absolutely anything indie.

(OP here)
I think this might be a part of why I'm so uninterested: despite the variety and the obvious craft, everything revolves around the melancholy theme. The ole DeS/DaS weren't like this at all, and neither was, say, SotN (incomparably worse in terms of sheer game design though it may be).

I don't feel the same way, but respect for not just making another obvious bait thread. The game does undoubtedly have an incredibly slow start, which didn't bother me at all but I could see how it would turn off some.

Sometimes a game's just not for you.

In four hours' time it threw a whole bunch of bosses, minibosses and character at me, though. I get a new location every 30-40 minutes or so. It's not that it's slow but rather that it sticks to its central theme a bit too much, now that I think about it. Melancholy, wistful beauty and ruins as far as the eye can see is really starting to bore me despite the obvious artistry of everything and especially the beautiful difficulty curve.

>4 hours in
You likely don't have the dash yet. Just hold out until you get the dash, it gets much better after that because you can move through the corridors much more quickly, and things REALLY pick up once you get the wall jump.

It might not be for everyone but the melancholy goes great on a cloudy Fall day. The first time I played HK was last Fall when I had a fever and the low key somber aesthetic and score really drew me in.

source? reversing doesn't help

No, I got it, I got the dash and beat the needle girl just recently. I've been fighting jellyfish when I caught myself thinking that I really wanted to find a bench and stop playing for a bit.

He's right. OP probably jerks off to much and has no energy and interest in playing a game.

I'm playing a whole bunch of games like Vanquish, Throne of Lies, Outrunners etc. etc. etc, fuckboi.

What's the source of the image, reversing ain't doing shit homie

Progression is just kinda shit in my opinion. The combat is okay but there isn't much to it, it's just about reflexes really. Charm builds don't affect much so you're playing basically the same game the entire time, so the game is almost entirely driven by the exploration and the atmosphere of the world.

Exploration is hampered by the fact that you never get "excited" to find something and the atmosphere is strong but never changes -- it's dark melancholy pretty much the whole way through.

It's a good game but if you're not swept up in the story and atmosphere, there's not a lot to keep you focused and moving forward.

Someone put it rather succinctly, many threads ago. Hollow Knight's individual rooms and corridors are near indistinguishable from each other. Compare to something like Super Metroid, Zero Mission, Fusion, even AM2R; each room is relatively-to-greatly distinct from one another.

Stop masturbating every day. You've given yourself depression. Prevents your enjoyment of things.

Except that's not even close to being true, Super Metroid games are far more guilty of that. How do you live with yourself just saying outright lies about shit you haven't even played?

it's something from /pol/ about how it's bad to look at naked ladies or something gay like that

For me it's the metroidvania formula. I played 8 hours of Hollow Knight, forced the shit out of myself after 4 but eventually gave up.
I find the game to have an absolutely gorgeous aesthetic, feel, atmosphere, and the gameplay is responsive, animations beautiful.
But i just fucking hate feeling trapped in an overly convoluted giant maze knowing I will need to constantly go back and forth over and over and go back to the same places 2;3, 4 maybe even 5 times, whilst also knowing every single new place I find will have a bunch of stuff barred off from me because I just don't have the right power yet.
I can't fucking stand it, I absolutely hate that videogame formula/genre.
I've tried all the metroidvania classics and could never enjoy one. It genuinely makes me sad because games like hollow knight otherwise feel like they have had so much love, passion and straight up artistic skill put into them that I wish my personal appreciation of them could live up to my opinion of their quality as a game.

didnt read. only clicked because of pic

I can take a challenge, try me

The point is to have fun exploring and adventuring.

Couldn't even enjoy SotN?

Attached: e8ca2f0.jpg (1277x1076, 120K)

Game bored the fuck out of me as well after just an hour or so.

I don't know. I just don't get it. Seems just slow and boring.

have you made it to Mantis Lords? That's when the game finally clicked for me.

for people who hate gays the poltards sure as fuck have an unhealthy obsession with dicks.

Recently "finished" it, getting the second ending.
Honestly, it's weird. It's not as fun as I wanted it to be, but it taught me to be get more into extremely challenging bosses and appreciate them. Fighting them for the fun itself, not for victory.
Also, the game is fucking massive, holy shit. You do have to applaud them for that.

The lore is boring as fuck, though. Every time I read up on it, it's just "Yeah, pretty much exactly what you thought" or "There's nothing about this in the game anywhere, whatsoever". It's like a bad attempt at emulating Souls' clusterfuck. I guess that's just what you get when you have three people writing the lore simultaneously and as an afterthought.
Too bad, because there's some neat ideas.

I'm stuck on the watcher knight so im probably never gonna beat it.

Well, if you don't like the grim atmosphere I can understand that. The best part of Hollow Knight in my opinion is all the movement options you have as you get more upgrades. Like says, a lot of it is reflexes, but the movement options and charms give you so many different ways to approach boss fights and tricky enemies, and I had a plan trying out different strategies, that really felt organic.
Yeah, if you don't like mazes metroidvania games in general probably aren't for you.

You've got everything you wanted but you're still bored.

You need to go just do something else man. Your brain has gotten too used to it.

>Except that's not even close to being true
Everyone who's played Super Metroid remembers the vertical chamber of Brinstar Red. Everyone. They know about the room leading to Kraid with the giant crack in the ground. They know about Western Maridia's corridor of grapple hook ceilings. You cannot say the same for much of Hollow Knight.
>shit you haven't even played?
15 hours in, homie.

Attached: hollow_knight 2019-08-29 09-08-07-334.png (1920x1080, 1.4M)

No I get the appeal. Like I see why people enjoy metroidvanias. It's just a personal thing for me.
You say have fun exploring and adventuring, but that is precisely what kills it for me. I don't enjoy exploring when I know every single new place I run into will have a bunch of things put outside of my reach, and I will simply need to come back 3 times at different points in the story to get them if I want to.
It's like exploring but constantly running into invisible walls, it just frustrates me. If you take Demon/dark souls for example, some levels or parts are similar in terms of exploration, they are interconnected at various places, have various challenges you can tackle in different orders etc but you don't get this feeling of having things locked off from you because you need different powers or story progression.
Maybe it's my mild ocd which doesn't help, since if I see something you can explore or collect, I wanna be able to do it before moving on but metroidvanias are all about going back again and again later instead, idk

I remember that FUCKING GIGANTIC CHASM leading up to Colosseum of Fools, because fuck climbing that place.
I also remember the climb down to the Mantis Lords, because I went through there so often for fighting them, going into deepnest, or exploring where the fuck to go next.
I legitimately do not remeber anything else, even though I played it a month ago, blind, and went through nearly every area at least ten to fifteen times while figuring out where the fuck I needed to go next.

speak for yourself, I can remember almost every single area perfectly except the Fog Canyon
I haven't played it in over 4 months and most of that was spent in Godhome trying to beat the Fourth Pantheon.

Actually nobody remembers that shit.

And you clearly haven't done anything in Hollow Knight yet.

Bros for real, what is the source. I need it so bad

Hollow Knight is actually much more memorable with how well drawn and cool everything is.

Attached: BA3A0B26-EB7A-4EA8-BC61-C2226AE4BF55.gif (480x366, 1.7M)

>speak for yourself
>I
>I
>I
No shit, I haven't been doing anything else.

>And you clearly haven't done anything in Hollow Knight yet.
What did he mean by this?
I think Hollow Knight's imagery is absolutely wonderful. It doesn't take away that many rooms blend together. Greenpath is a fucking blur beyond the room where the giant mossbeast family is fought.

You might just hate the genre. I've tried Hollow Knight multiple times but I simply don't find it fun. Now I have a better understanding of what games i enjoy.

Which boss gave you guys the most trouble? Watcher knight really fucked my shit up.

Radiance
Grimm
Broken Vessel
In that order.
Haven't tried Godmaster, but I feel like Absolute Radiance and Sister would be absolute bitches.

Also that's normal Grimm, not Super Grimm because I just wanted to finish the game and gave up after ten tries.

Pure Vessel
Failed Champion
NKG

The Failed Champion in particular does something to my brain. I really have a lot of trouble reading his patterns for some reason.

Nightmare King Grimm is probably the hardest boss in the game alongside Absolute Radiance. It took me 40 tries to beat him.

maybe you don't enjoy the genre.
I'm like this with hack and slash games like bayonetta and DMC. i just can't really get into them (and that's despite me playing a bunch of fighting games).

who is this?

I wasn't feeling it until the slut fight in the forest zone and then what, at the time, looked like 3 great ones appearing after the boss fight. It got interesting to me then.

I masturbate twice a week at most and I'm still depressed though.