Remember when the PS2 came out and everyone was amazed at how the games "looked like real life"?

Remember when the PS2 came out and everyone was amazed at how the games "looked like real life"?

Attached: gta3.jpg (800x640, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eBS-rKm2uZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=xzH7h465MMM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No. Nobody said that. People said the graphics were good but there was better CGI in movies by that time.

Games that release today and go for realism look like ass a few years later. GTA3, VC and SA will always have soul.

>Posts a PC screenshot

this but unironically.

when DOOM came out people said "wow these videogames are getting pretty realistic"

Morrowind still looks pretty great

Only GTA 4 got this comment

No because it didn't happen. But I remember that when Doom 3 came out people were saying it's a peak and graphics couldn't possibly get any better. I was one of them,

Attached: Q18.png (1114x1600, 958K)

the M16 was so OP cuz you could aim it with the mouse and it had no recoil unlike the console versions lol

No one really said that about how they looked, they said it more about being able to play in a open ended 3d virtual world. Even when they came out, we all knew they looked kind of terrible lol. But I like that about video games, it makes you interact with it more.

the 9/11 planes looked life like

GTAIII blew everyone's mind because it was so much more than anything that came before it (an unlimited budget will do that). The entire industry shifted because of GTA III (much like how Doom caused the industry to shift some 7 or 8 years earlier).

The game looked fantastic, had (for the time) so much world interactivity and a vast scope which set a precedent we are still feeling the effects of to this day.

Honestly 1998-2004 was peak time for graphics and aesthetics, most games had to heavily rely on stylisation to look good unless they do black magic voodoo tricks like the developers of SH3 and REmake.
You now remember almost a decade of brown and gray same looking console games, fuck man, those were some dark times

Attached: Tumblr_l5t5v6IKlP1qbzf0vo1_1280.jpg (1268x818, 89K)

There was a kind of people that did claim it was too realistic, but it was mostly because of the setting and gameplay. I mean, old folks couldn't tell the difference between real pics and cgi easily, and the game's violence made it realistic for them.

Those were the exact kinds of games people said would age less favourably as technology advanced back in the day. In ten years some asshole will be the same age you are now talking about how much fucking "soul" GTA5 had.

What? San Andreas was never technologically modern. I've a feeling you weren't actually around when it came out :^)

Game looks breddy gud in 4k.

GTA V won't because its missing certain gameplay elements that the 3d games have which gives them their soul. Soul isn't only related to graphics.

Attached: GTA 3 4k1.jpg (3840x2160, 1.16M)

sauce that fampai

For me it was Ratchet & Clank. I was genuinely convinced it looked as good as an animated movie.

Fuck it user you've convinced me to take a few screenshots of the game.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 09_48_30.jpg (3840x2160, 1.47M)

>that skeleton

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 09_52_27.jpg (3840x2160, 1.56M)

I genuinely think GTA 3 graphics aged better than San Andreas

The first ps2 game I ever saw IRL was the first movie licensed Spider-man. The opening cinematic blew my mind. It looks like a turd today though.

Eh it has a grungier look which has aged well but SA still looks better due to simply having more detail. SA though (san fierro being the exception) has a very warm colour palette.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 09_53_49.jpg (3840x2160, 1.49M)

There's a cut off, kid. It doesn't work like that.

Man I can't wait to get a totally-not Nokia 3310!

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 09_56_11.jpg (3840x2160, 1.19M)

there were lots, what are you on about?

Rain looks like shit now but was really immersive back in the day. I do suggest anons play the pc version with silent's patch and the xbox graphical mod (as the xbox version looks the best out of the original releases).

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 09_56_57.jpg (3840x2160, 1.8M)

Such as?

>But I remember that when Doom 3 came out people were saying it's a peak and graphics couldn't possibly get any better.

Still true though. Barely did.

Only Bill Gates said that

>tfw remembering that ps2 demo disc that came with screenshots from gta vc and being all excited about it

Attached: gta-vc 2019-04-14 00-20-54-874.jpg (2560x1440, 408K)

I'm learning the triads aren't a friendly bunch but portland looks so good.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 10_04_06.jpg (3840x2160, 1.68M)

Cingular Wireless, my dog

Attached: Screenshot_20190829-050530_YouTube.jpg (1920x1080, 382K)

I remember someone showing me Halo, the original, with a "holy shit, bro, the graphics are so realistic" and my first reaction being "this looks like fucking origami what are you on about".

So yeah, people tried to shill it as amazing, but not everyone bought into it.

Having stuff go on above your head is a sadly overlooked part of game world design - the train in portland is a really great way to build immersion. Sleeping dogs had the same vibe as well.

Attached: 2019.08.29-10.07.jpg (3840x2160, 1.87M)

I played the shit out of SA and VC on ps2 and 4 on PC. Never played 3. Bought it on last GTA sale on steam but didn't install it yet.
Is PC port of 3 is as bad as SA? Is there a community patch to fix shit like that one big patch for SA that brings back old ps2 orange atmosphere?

First time i saw RE3 on ps1 i was in awe. It looked mind blowing for me when i was a kid.

Look at how clean the text is on the signpost bottom right - LOOK AT IT.

Attached: 2019.08.29-10.11.jpg (3840x2160, 1.77M)

Go read pcgamingwiki - it has all the info you need to get started but these days there is no reason to play (original or emulated) the console versions.

tbf Doom 3 had good textures.

I said it. My dad said it. My friends said it.

Why RE3? It looked exactly the same as RE2 which was only a very slight improvement on RE1.

BotW and Wind Waker is how you make truly timeless graphics

That's the only RE game i had

The seedy streets of portland can be a dangerous. Reminds me of the manual that came with the ps2 version - it was like a tour guidebook to sin city and really, really helped build the hype and immersion of the game.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 10_15_22.jpg (3840x2160, 1.74M)

>GTA V won't
It will. GTA IV misses more gameplay elements than V and we still have people here almost every day here talking about how that game had so much soul. It's nostalgia, nothing else.

This alley looks trouble but i'm armed and curious.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 10_18_24.jpg (3840x2160, 1.94M)

I remember getting the map of both cities with the GTA double pack. Was magnificent. I miss when video games still did that.

There was some trouble, but I dealt with it.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 10_20_19.jpg (3840x2160, 1.19M)

While GTAV indeed has more gameplay elements it also has worse physics model and horrible story.
I don't like 4 either, but if i had to chose i would chose 4 over V any day.

I don't understand why any AAA or at least indie game company hasn't used modern tech and just made a massive immersive game using cleaned up PS2 graphics like renderware.

Is it possible to play LCS and VCS on pc?

should be possible to emulate the PSP versions comfortably

Clearly not, what games people have most nostalgia for here is steadily moving onward (look at how popular Oblivion has become for example).

In a roundabout way thats what Ion Fury is - pushing a 20 + year old game engine far beyond what the hardware of the time could. That aside what you wish will never happen because graphics are all that matters amirite.

Via emulation, yes.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 10_22_11.jpg (3840x2160, 1.8M)

I was amazed ar Gamecube's graphics. Luigi's hand opening that door in the first scendme, it was out of this world. By the time I got a PS2 it was already 3 years into the generation and I was quite used to it.

Excuse me miss, do you have the time?

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 10_25_18.jpg (3840x2160, 1.75M)

youtube.com/watch?v=eBS-rKm2uZ0
gta 2 graphics are ok

I'm playing Vice City and I modded it with better controls and stuff and still not enjoying it. Should I get 3 and mod it aswell? What are some must have mods?

Attached: milk chan 2.jpg (640x640, 73K)

youtube.com/watch?v=xzH7h465MMM
gta3 had a good opening

If you aren't liking the vanilla game modding isn't going to change that.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 10_27_29.jpg (3840x2160, 1.24M)

> it also has worse physics model and horrible story
So just like IV. Come back here in a few years when GTA VI comes out and watch anons cry how back in their day they played GTA V and it was so much fun and it had so much soul.
It's just the circle of nostalgia.

Tbh GTA3 is mostly quite ugly (the engine is really weird) but there are moments when it looks really good and almost "photorealistic". Of course those born after 2000 will laugh at me.

Agreed. Basically I could play games from this era forever. I don't need games to look like real life. Also it would be easier for developers.

its like the matrix and the sopranos

There are modern AAA games being released that barely look better than Doom 3. Compare the huge leaps and bounds between each Generation 1-5. Video games have nearly hit their graphical peak and there will only be so much data capable of being stored in hardware meaning you'll never have true to life video games outside of the super rich who have a whole server room dedicated to running their WW2 FPS.

Attached: rbdoom-3-bfg-20151110-212925-017.1.png (1280x720, 1.1M)

No, I don't remember anyone saying that.
Although I do remember when HD TVs came out, and hearing talk about how it'd never catch on.

Just seeing distant areas pop into view really makes you feel how vast the world is. Naturally after nearly 20 years I know its a tiny world but at the time goddamn.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 10_30_58.jpg (3840x2160, 1.8M)

If you've not tried it I recommend Doom 3 Redux mod - it really enhances doom 3 and there are zero gameplay changes (its a graphics and sound mod).

Zoomer spotted
People used to be scared of shitty CGI and people in obvious costumes in horror movies. It looked real when it was the best that could be made at the time. Same applies for what the OP is saying.

I remember my dad even saying it was real people and he didn't believe it was game footage when looking at a commercial for a sports game on the PS2.

You're just living among retarded people, apparently.

>aim gun at paramedic
>"don't shoot, I have a family"
>shoot him and laugh
>paramedic father is behind me
>"how dare you, user, he had a family"
>feel terrible to this day
Sorry da

Remember when SMB came out and people were like "holy shit, the screen is moving?!"

Attached: io.png (511x413, 2K)

even max payne had better graphics tqbh

>2.2kb
Nice

stfu zoom zoom.

Real life looked like that back then
You'd know if you weren't a fucking zoomer

I love gta3 but the game had this ominous feel to it that i just cant explain

PS2 graphics were amazing for their time compared to PS1/N64, but you picked a bad example. Keep in mind that GTA3 came out in the same window of time as stuff like Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, Silent Hill 2, Jak and Daxter, and Final Fantasy X.

Maybe its all the grey?

>you will again never do the train bug to get onto the third island early at your friends stuffy house while listening to blink 182 live show on his 3 CD changer and using 2p a minute wap Internet on your phone to read up sex tips for the girlfriends you're definitely going to get at the party on saturday unless your pal Ryan comes through with that bootleg of the jackass movie that he claims his neighbour gets sent cause he's in a test audience but we know he just got it off kazaa and burnt to dvd
I miss early highschool, boys

>almost no story
>challenging missions
>fun stuff like rampages
just how i like them

>ywn hang out with your friends on a summer night, passing the controller around, and seeing how high you can get your wanted level and how long you can last again

Attached: 1558578651772.gif (700x525, 421K)

>ywn take a trip with your friends into the city a hundred miles from home to buy vidya and talk to girls, then spend all the time on the road he former and none on the latter because you're all too chickens hit and besides having a girl around would eat into your morrowind time

I just played the first Deus Ex and for some reason the early 2000's games have a nice feeling to it

Just... Fuck you and basic bitch logic

>In ten years some asshole will be the same age you are now talking about how much fucking "soul" GTA5 had.
Nice logical fallacy zoomer. You probably weren't around when the industry went to complete shit during the late 2000's. V was subpar open world with a shitty online that everyone hated. Nobody thought GTAV was good when it came out and it will only be remembered as an example of why Rockstar is absolutely shit and how gaming as a whole is dead

Attached: sunstreaker.png (776x261, 444K)

I worked on gta5 and take exception to that.
People didn't hate it at launch, it didn't even come out at launch, there was just a timer counting down to release on the switch wheel. Was fun seeing people wonder wtf that was.
Also if everybody hates it, why is it still the most profitable mmo 6 years after release?

Deus Ex is UE1. It's late 90s, not early 2000s. People seem to have forgotten Deus Ex was not a great looking game in its day. It also ran like utter shit.

that is who I was quoting but yes the point stands, people say that every gen

>and the winner by knockout is...

Attached: 170376_1232188892529_full.jpg (245x451, 15K)

SA looks like shit compared to III and VC.
It’s grainy and blurry as fuck in a ton of areas

Nobody said that, zoomer.

whatever you say child

I remember reading the gamepro letters from readers section and thinking it'd be a good idea to ask them if they thought video games would ever look as good as Shrek.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 11_25_57.jpg (3840x2160, 1.77M)

Plot twist: nothing defeats Shrek

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 11_30_05.jpg (3840x2160, 1.68M)

Gotta say Game DVR and/or (in my case) ReLive make taking screenshots so much easier.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 11_31_51.jpg (3840x2160, 1.51M)

Fuck off zoomer

Not convinced GTA VC strictly looks better - people are just more enamored with the theme of the game compared to III.

Attached: GTA_ Vice City 29_08_2019 11_36_03.jpg (3840x2160, 1.11M)

Attached: GTA_ Vice City 29_08_2019 11_39_46.jpg (3840x2160, 903K)

Attached: GTA_ Vice City 29_08_2019 11_44_06.jpg (3840x2160, 913K)

voxel is the next big leap. Voxels are naturally raytraced and not only improve graphics but also physics. Imagine every point (voxel) having a melting point and breaking point and stuff like that.

Atomontage is so awesome.

Attached: GTA_ San Andreas 29_08_2019 11_47_50.jpg (3840x2160, 1.44M)

Attached: GTA_ San Andreas 29_08_2019 11_46_26.jpg (3840x2160, 1.14M)

How don't you have neon lights on the club?

Attached: Screenshot (140).jpg (1920x1080, 257K)

>it didn't even come out at launch
What

The cheat code that gave everyone guns and made everyone hostile would keep my friend and I entertained for hours.

That early blur or what ever they call it (shaking?) still looks amazing to me.
Remember when Solid Snake did it to the surface and there was a Hind-D powering up and taking off?

sauce

seeing how I was still playing Urban Chaos the week before I saw GTA III yeah it blew my dang mind

Urban Chaos has sexier protagonist though. GTAIII guy is a boring potato.

>People didn't hate it at launch, it didn't even come out at launch,
Never said it did. But after everyone played the story and realized how little there was to do outside of it everyone was just talking about how shit it was compared to the previous installments and how they were just waiting for online and then when online did come out it was grinding hell and the glitches that made life more simple were taken out
>why is it still the most profitable mmo 6 years after release?
If you want to do anything in that game you need money and nobody is willing to waste 2 months grinding to 1 million dollars so people just went out and bought shark cards.

Fuck if I know - i'm not using any graphical mods so it could be a dodgy angle or something.

you definitely need mods

I remember thinking ff8 cutscenes on ps1 were actually life like. You have no idea what this shit was like at the time zoomer

I love Doom3 lighting until today. Carmack was a fucking genius.

Attached: large.jpg (1280x720, 202K)

Now render that at 512x448i stretch it to 4:3 and project it on a 24" CRT TV and view it from across the room and compare it with a movie or live broadcast.

Higher resolutions and LCD technology brought clarity and with that clarity it had the added effect of allowing you to see all the flaws. You take a racing game for the PS2 like GT4 and put it side by side with a racing broadcast from the time and it would certainly pass the "across the room" test where people might think you're watching TV rather than playing a game. Anytime a human would show up during the PS2 era it'd pretty much break this across the room test (only real exception I can think of is Silent Hill 3) but there were plenty of sports game which would "look real" to people in that they didn't realize it was a game from across the room.

Attached: re2_2019_01_22_07_37_53_023.png (640x480, 300K)

Textures were nothing special. Lighting was great HL2 had better textures but lacked in other areas.

I remember thinking that need for speed III looks amazing and it's getting photorealistic

based

I mean, that was the moment they passed the treshold for modern graphics. Any big game released this year can be downgraded to GTA 3 graphics with no gameplay losses, and prettier games from the era still hold up almost like new.

>at a commercial for a sports game
Because I'm sure that was accurate gameplay footage.

This to be honest.
Games like GTA:SA who tried to look realistic look like crap now days but games like DQVIII or TLoZ:WW still look great now days.
I will take style over realism any day of the week.

If it takes you a fucking month to make 1 million, you're playing the game wrong

Tell me about it, I still remember how blown away I was when I saw the E3 presentation of Half-Life 2 around 2002-03, everything about it looked like techno-wizardry.
>mfw that ragdoll pachinko

Attached: 1564399191868.png (250x250, 72K)

>Nobody thought GTAV was good when it came out
I remember the ridiculous amount of hype surrounding it, you faggots were completely unbearable back then. Any suggestion that it wasn't going to be a good game (after all GTA4 was seen as a disappointment) and you were labeled butthurt pcfag because he inevitable pc port was never ever going to happen, obviously.

Driving around Liberty City at night was so fucking comfy. People always say Vicy City being is superior, but I recently 100% both games again after 10+ years and had much more fun with GTA 3.

We don't really need graphics better than ps2.

Stupid zoomer trying to fit in

Attached: ugh.jpg (1024x1024, 106K)

what did they mean by this?

>(Yes, This is an actual PC game screenshot)

Attached: 116w5uqvty9y.jpg (784x1024, 197K)

only total retards thought that shit looked like real life

Arakure Ojousama wa Monmon Shiteiru

I've been replaying both of them in the past week, III has the better map and mission design but VC has much better characters and structure. The empire building thing is much more interesting than just spending the second half of III pissing about for the yakuza and blonald blumpf.

The first time I remember thinking something looked "like real life" was Barney's face when he takes off his combine mask in Half Life 2. Which is pretty laughable looking back.

Don't forget Halo and Call of Duty 4 and onwards. We used to shit up those threads in 08-09 calling them casualfags.

Holy shit

Truly a different era at this point

Lifestyles of the rich and the famous
They're always complainin'
Always complainin'
If money is such a problem
Well they got mansions
Think we should rob them

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 13_36_19.jpg (3840x2160, 1.63M)

>Carmack was a fucking genius.
Carmack didn't invent the technique used in Doom 3. In fact, it predates Doom 3 by several years. It was actually a bit of a problem for id because the people who came up with it had patented it. Carmack had to rewrite the relevant code when they made the engine open source.

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 13_39_17.jpg (3840x2160, 1.37M)

Attached: 9B4B0A07-155A-49F7-AC92-C78AE218AC99.jpg (1024x764, 68K)

I'm sure she does....

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 13_41_52.jpg (3840x2160, 1.69M)

Final Fantasy X, Silent Hill 2, MGS2 and Gran Turismo 3 look like PS3 games compared to what was PS1 era

Attached: 457619-silent_016.jpg (1024x768, 149K)

Attached: GTA3 29_08_2019 13_46_06.jpg (3840x2160, 1.7M)

A normie I knew at the time couldn't stop making comments about how the hands were just one piece and they looked crap so no.

Why indy devs don't make games with PS1/PS2 era graphics with the focus on story, characters, world/immerison and gameplay?
I'm saying that with the thought that I'm sick of hipster pixel crap but have a huge fetish for stylish low poly 3d graphics.
How difficult is it to make such games for an indy devs with small staff team?

Attached: mechcommander-2_18.jpg (1280x1024, 201K)

>Nobody thought GTAV was good when it came out
Yeah because nobody knew how to play it, but at the end of the day it's still the most technically accomplished GTA game with better driving mechanics than the 3d era. I can't even play SA anymore because V really is better in almost every way except it's a little soulless

Attached: Grand Theft Auto V 8_19_2019 8_39_22 PM.jpg (3840x2160, 1.21M)

Holy shit...it looks so real...

I miss when GTA games had this arcade styled look. Games today have such high graphical fidelity but no soul, no atmosphere.

No one heard about ps2 in Russia atm. Everyone were hyped about gta3 on pc and how realistic it was.

>How difficult is it to make such games for an indy devs with small staff team?
its actually quite easy compared to what indies are shitting out right now, a single guy can make a full PS1/PS2 tier game in a few months or less depending on how complex it is.
indie devs would rather shit out pic related than make a PS1 game for muh nostalgia and even when they do try and make a PS1 tier game they fuck it up

Attached: low polly.jpg (1280x720, 226K)

But everyone said it, kiddo.

supah mario in real loif

Attached: Screenshot_6.png (704x703, 564K)