Diablo III

I've never played a Diablo game.
Is Diablo 3 fun? Whats it all about?

Attached: 243681-diablo-iii-macintosh-front-cover.jpg (800x1144, 188K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.crateentertainment.com/t/mod-diablo-3-classes-patch-2-9-3-released/35207
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is meh, there are worse ARPGs out there tho

I briefly looked over the class descriptions on Blizzard's site and the Witch Doctor looked the most appealing to me.

It's pretty fun and it plays great, but it wears itself out really quickly compared to other ARPGs.

What other ARPGs should I be checking out? Looking for more recent games, not too into older titles.

PoE if you have a supercomputer and terminal autism
Grim Dawn otherwise

POE is a f2p ARPG that jaded anti-Blizzardfags herald as the saviour of the genre and it's pretty good, but it comes with some issues. It's kinda intimidating to newfags and there's a lot of traps, but overall it has a good feel of what to expect of the genre.

I glanced at the classes in PoE and I think I want to try going the witch route. I'll give the game a shot.

Play Pathh of Exile. There is a new league with new mechanics starting next week Friday.
The game is intimidating at first with all its features (also for returning players) but your best option. Just blow the money you would have spent on gayablo3 on poe and you'll have a better investment.

Attached: bueno.png (499x442, 190K)

Good luck, guides for newbies are highly advised, but feel free to fuck around however you wish because you can always respec a class back to 0 or just roll a new character. You can easily make a character who is too weak to tackle the post-campaign content if you're just winging it, but you can always finish all 10 acts doing your own thing unless you're just going out of the way to fuck yourself.

The only thing keeping Diablo 3 interesting is the bits of new stuff and balancing pathces they toss in every three months when a new season goes live. If you and a couple of your friends know what you're doing you can complete everything the season has to offer in a couple of days.
t. finished guardian journey for season 17 with two mates on day 3, we were 96th, 97th, and 98th to clear the speedrun conquest.

I enjoy the week of new season content then just check out afterwards.

Diablo 3 is absolutely simple, it‘s impossible to fuck up a build because you can switch all your skills on the fly. Builds are determined by gear alone, but the effects actually change skills in an interesting way. Overall D3 is fun if you play in small doses, because your characters will be gesred up in no time thanks to Blizzard showering everyone in lehenfaries.

PoE is Diablo 2 with all the good and all the bad intensified. It‘s deep and complex, but when you get the hang of it you‘ll see that it‘s mostly „do X to get Y more damage“ and stuff like that. It has the best dev support compared to the competition, new leagues and content are coming out frequently, so it‘s constantly changing. But it‘s also deeply autistic, if you liked ultra rare drops in D2 you‘ll love PoE, otherwise good luck actually enjoying the game. Youvan run self-found of course, provided you read through guides, watch some autist‘s 3 hour tutorial which is out of date anyway and beat the game 12 times. Or just wing it and realize that apart from the most difficult content, you can actually do fine and enjoy Diablo 2.5 as long as yoh keep your autism in check.

Grim Dawn is Titan Quest but better. It‘ doesn‘t get new content frequently like PoE, but the devs also aren‘t conpletely retarded and break cöass balance every patch like D3. Out of the three it feels the most like an actual journey, it doesn‘t really use the act structure like other ARPGs. Classes are different and you can dl some fun dual-class setups. The most you can expect from skill alterstion from either skills or equipment is changing the damage type though, so nothing on the level of D3. On the other hand leveling your character actually matters like in PoE, and it has a nice Devotion system to further specialize your toon.

tl;dr: D3 is fun for casual sessions up to an hour, PoE is fun if you poay games 12 hours a day or are a Chinese bot, Grim Dawn is fun if you enjoy video games.

It's alright, a pretty mindless power fantasy if that's what you're looking for. By the end I was so OP that literally nothing was a challenge. The story is fucking absurdly awful though; you might get an ironic kick out of it if you enjoy cheesy Saturday morning cartoon shit.

just play D2, you cunt

Is Titan Quest still worth playing? Heard it got a new expansion recently and the setting looks cool.

yeah, the newer expansions are kinda meh though. base game and immortal throne is great though.

diablo 3 is about getting to 60 through a slow gear progression only to have stats jump up massively from 61 to 70

Diablo 3 is fun but I would'nt support ActiBlizz.
Just play Grim Dawn with the Diablo 3 mod
forums.crateentertainment.com/t/mod-diablo-3-classes-patch-2-9-3-released/35207

What's the best ARPG for couch co-op?
Preferably on Switch/PS2/3, can be obscure stuff, just as long as it's fun with a buddy.

Attached: 1563822323254.jpg (500x498, 29K)

Champoins Return to Arms

console D3 is actually really good couch co-op. Just never join a public game or some hacker is gonna give you 289074209809283092834029834098 irreversible xp.

>damage numbers start popping up with K's and M's after them
>don't even care about progression anymore, just feels like a fucking clicker game

Attached: 1416540461343.jpg (422x600, 38K)

>only to have stats jump up massively from 61 to 70
yeah power creep got absolutely retarded. before i quit years back people were doing like 12 billion damage crits. then blizzard had to patch the game to reduce the damage output feedback to just numbers like 875M because the numbers were so outta control.

ignoring the shitloads of extra set multipliers and epic gems I'm almost certain the reason gear is so much stronger in the RoS levels was done by the guy in charge of fixing shit post RMAH to have a clean slate

Looks interesting. Reminds me of a couple other arpgs on PS2. I think there was a Baldur's Gate one or something?

You're thinking of Champions of Norrath.
Champions Return to Arms is it's sequel.

I'm playing a wizard atm and I hit for 12 trillion damage with shit gear and shit gems. Like 400 paragon.

Granted it's Archon, but it's still so silly. The only reason I have damage numbers on is so I get some feedback as to whether or not my I'm hitting something, not to see what damage I'm doing.

I did some googling, I was thinking of BG: Dark Alliance 1/2. Apparently uses the same engine as the Champions games.

It's about clicking on shit and farming bosses for better and better items. It's also about completely shitting on an amazing story with the most banal shitty story ever written.

I don't give a fuck how much they patch it, you can't patch out a terrible story.

I wish those based fuckers would bring Grim Dawn to switch. I need a good arpg on the go so bad. D3 sucks and Titan Quest's port needs more work.
GD is the best ARPG out there and it's a shame it doesn't get more love. PoE is very overrated and is too bloated for its own good and trade/mapping shit with mmo-isms leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

>that in-engine cutscene where Deckard Cain gets killed by Rita Repulsa while your character just stands there like a retard and watches.

Diablo 3 is an insult.

>mfw all the other ARPG's can't scratch my Diablo Barbarian itch after getting to play Diablo 3 on my friends 360

Attached: diablo3-barbarian.jpg (1316x657, 174K)

inserting more numbers into enemy numbers while making sure their numbers don't drain your numbers so you need more numbers to counter their increasing numbers

>the dead are literally rising around you and sieging the town
>"Oh, silly uncle Deckard and his cuh-razee stories!"
How did Blizzard write such a retarded character?

Dungeon Fighter Online have the best combat of any ARPG. Way better combat than the boring click to move that most ARPGs have. It have some flaws that a korean semi MMO ARPG have, but it is still the best if you want good combat and a huge vareity of classes (like 20 times as many classes as Diablo 3) For some reason people dont talk about DFO in ARPG threads.

I don't think it's the same kind of game in general is why.

When they first came out, you couldn't find anything else like it. Now though, there are so many games that do what Diablo does (did) way way better. I don't recommend it, and this coming from an OG Diablo fan

Looks overly complex and is probably p2w.
I like beat em ups, but why wouldn't I just play a pure brawler/action game instead of a game that shoehorns in annoying MMOisms?
Grim Dawn and D2 don't have this shit, the line between MMOs and ARPGs should stay split if you ask me. If the toe gets dipped into the MMO pool the game becomes more about trading and becomes way more bloated ala PoE. This reminds me of that but with a beat em up skin.

I dont see how the viewpoint and control method makes a game something else. A game where you kill hordes of enemies, collect tons of loot, level up and get new skills cant be anything other than an ARPG. DFO even got gears that changes how skills work and their version of a necro class called summoner.

faggot

At this point when people mention ARPGs, it's either referring to Diablo clones (PoE, GD, TQ, etc) or action games that have RPG elements (Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, etc). I'd say we need a new definition for these looter games, but I'd consider DFO much more of a MMO like game than a pure ARPG. The lines are blurry, but they're really not the same thing from a gameplay standpoint despite having a loot grind.

I don't get why games still do this mouse to move and attack control scheme. Separating it allows for potentially better gameplay.

ARPG is a stale genre that needs to die like RTS.
I would play an ARPG if it was mixed with a living open world with clans that battle over territory though..
A mix of an open world rogulike with living world and ARPG can work great, otherwise its a fucking boring grind and none of them have a good story.

Is a great game to pick up and play. Probably one of the worst game of the genre if you wanna invest more time.
Also POE will have a new league soon.

>open world

Attached: index.jpg (183x275, 14K)

It can be fun. Decent arpg, smooth gameplay, okayish itemisation, a bit shallow but serviceable build variety. It's okay in most ways unless you are highly autistic, in which case PoE will better serve you.
Story is absolute shit though. Literally children cartoon tier. Ignore it.

(You) are a stale person that need to die

Where the lines become really blurry is with the real MMOARPGs with a full open world like Lost Ark as well as older games like MU Legend (that is a game that basically is what Diablo 3 would be if it was a korean MMORPG) With Diablo 3 and PoE being online only games and DFO being a game where 99% of the content is based around 4 man parties and endgame is soloable if you are insanely geared (just like ARPGs and not like MMORPGs at all) and the whole game expect for the towns are instanced in both PoE and DFO is a good argument for DFO and PoE being in the same genre. I dont think the controls define what an ARPG is. My differentiation of an ARPG is a game with action combat with many RPG elements like stats, skilltrees and a lot of loot. And the gameplay is killing hordes of monsters at a short time and getting loot with some bosses in the way. DFO even have random elite mobs in the dungeons and game changing gears.

You do not need to kill many hordes of monsters in a short time to have an arpg. This is only a thing because many top down arpgs have shit combat that cannot be appealing in 1v1s, so they turn it into some weird tactical ability area control game.

DFO is a very fun game, isn’t necessarily p2w, but has an insane amount of Korean grind

2 is better honestly these games never feel that dated its a bit harder than 3 but definitely worth a play.

>open world
>roguelike
>mmo
>PvP

This just has to be a shitpost. Next time add crafting and you're golden

The best of the 3 for 'big numbers = Good' but the worst for everything else

grim dawn runs worse than Poe somehow though

I heard a guy at work mention the Switch so asked him if he had one and what he had and he had completely different games from me but when he mentioned Diablo I said I'd like to pick that up (because I played the original on Mac in the 90's). Well I picked it up and he kept pressing me on it and we exchanged friend codes and now he's apparently monitoring me so he can invite me to play if he sees I'm online and I only got up to level 40 something last season and apparently he plays on the hardest level +19 because his monk is invincible and I don't understand the appeal of the game at all because I've literally never died and the campaign is the most boring thing ever. He's really into D&D, if that matters.

I am not going to deny that. But it is not like it is a worse grind than grinding for primal ancients in D3 with perfect or near perfect stats or for 6 linked items with amazing affixes in PoE (last time i played)

Diablo 3 had several great boss fights that feels like bosses in typical action games. I am thinking about stuff like the final boss in act 2, 4 and i really liked the final boss in act 5. But sadly the really shitty endgame of endlessly farming GRs throws all that out of the window.

Grim Dawn and never look back. Or... do look back, and play Titan Quest.

>territorial PvP
name a game where it's actually fun to contribute

You are playing on normal. You should play on expert if you want some sort of a challenge.

I was playing on Hard when I picked it up last season and I was just steamrolling everything. I started a new season character a few days ago and am playing on expert, but I'm only at like level 15 so if this guy shows up asking if I want to play with him I don't even know what to do since he's apparently playing torment +20 or something retarded. I honestly didn't even realize Diablo was a co-op game when I started talking to him about it and now I'm just really anxious because I've put in maybe 10 hours and only got up to level 40 last season because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thank you for your zoomer input.

Attached: 1463667034097.gif (298x222, 1.24M)

It’s got a lot of character and a good art style, at least imo, but it lacks the depth of something like Path of Exile

Hard to explain since i am assuming this is your first ARPG but i try anyway

>I was playing on Hard when I picked it up last season and I was just steamrolling everything
Modern Blizzard are known for dumbing down everything so normal is a cakewalk, hard is a slightly harder cakewalk and expert is what i would call normal in a typical game. Anything above expert is if you want an extra challenge (this applies to 1-70 campaign only)

>But I'm only at like level 15 so if this guy shows up asking if I want to play with him I don't even know what to do since he's apparently playing torment +20 or something retarded

If he is playing on Torment 20 his char is max level and have amazing gear. You would not have any fun playing with him because you would get oneshot from any mob and you wont deal any damage to the mobs being level 17 (with he is far into the endgame) The solution is simple. Both of you make a new char that you only play together with on expert. Diablo 3 is both a solo and a coop game, but farming endgame greater rifts is much slower solo. For level 1-70 you should just follow the arrows and finish the 5 acts. Then you can look up guides for greater rifts on the internet, but you should not worry about that as a newbie.

How is the switch port of Titan Quest? Good for co-op?

Console version is much better than PC version

How so?

Lower expectations

>supercomputer
all you need is an ssd.
im maxing out poe on a fucking 760gtx and never drop below 100fps.

It's the only fun ARPG and its main issue is not getting new content.

I can only really recommend TQ and IT, the rest is rather meh. Grim Dawn is basically Titan Quest 2 in terms of mechanics, and the two major expansions are great as well.

PoE caters to D2 players who liked WoW. GD caters to D2 players who know what a vagina looks like.

>Just never join a public game or some hacker is gonna give you 289074209809283092834029834098 irreversible xp.

On console? what?

Ahem

Attached: d2.jpg (1280x960, 536K)

D3 basically only evolves around endgame. You spend time (maybe 4 to 6 hours for a newbie) to get from 1 to 70, then you farm a couple Rifts on expert or torment 1 for some set items. Once you habe those you are in the midgame, where the only goal is to get your gear complete (ancients are still optional for most builds). With a full set of gear you are now in the endgame, where you level up the three legendary gems yoj use, get ancient gear with perfect rolls on it and augment gear with legendary gems you don‘t need.
Basically D3 is boring for the first 10 to 20 hours for a newbie and the. It‘s repitious as fuck. So if you don‘t like gesr farming, drop the game and play something better.

Thanks. That's kind of the gist of what I've heard but I just never really got the appeal of that.

If you want to try ARPGs, Grim Dawn has an excelent leveling experience where it‘s not that important to have perfect gear all the time, but balancing in Ultimate difficulty is still fucked. PoE is fun for people who love to min/max everything, if you enjoy making Excel spreadsheets but hate the lack of creativity in MMO character builds you‘ll have a great time. Pr you could just play D2 and drop PoE‘s autism and GD‘s jankyness.

I really hate how sets dictate what you have to use, I used that couple of set rings that increase damage done and damage absorption for every epic gear equipped. AT LEAST you get to have some variety when killing.

>grim dawn

I got a bit burned out on that one because challenge (played on hardest) felt a tad inconsistent, it felt like it's streamrolling through most of enemies and facing tough foes so rarely that you can die because tedium of regular combat has dulled you into false sense of being always overpowered.
Still wasn't bad, and (as anything to be honest) I'd probably bear through the slog with a friend.

I dropped D3 for some time now, but I never understood this complaint. Sets and certain legendary effects are the only good thing because they change how skills behave, GD for example only offers „convert x to y damage“ as modifiers, which is more boring. The issue with D3 is that only the sets and certain legenfaries can do stuff like this and this leads to meta builds where deviating from them means you can‘t clear GR100s anymore. PoE and GD don‘t have the flexibility of those sets, but they offer more stuff for you to experiment, like the devotions in GD or the more interesting socketing in PoE compared to its competitors. D3 tried to make things more interesting with legendsry gems, but everyone just uses The dame two with the last one boosting damage or survivability depending on your (meta) build.

The issue with GD‘s balancing is that you are usually pretty resistant against 2 or 3 damage types without actually doing anything. So if you are in an area where most mobs deal phys, ice and vit damage and your frost and vit resistance is decent, you will steamroll stuff on normal and hard. The you get to a level with Chtonians, your chaos res is shit, and you explode immediatly. Augments and components are really important to manage resistances, but most people never bother with them on lower difficulties. All uIltimate chars basically stack defensive augs and comps on gear and have one or two in the appropriate slots to get more damage.

Diablo 3 is a pretty good ARPG. I recommend playing it, and also, add Grim Dawn to your list.
Avoid Path of Exile because the game is pretty ''cheap'' (no wonder it's free), and fags who recommend that piece of shit are, in 98% of cases, fans of Diablo 2. Which is one pretty good reason to avoid it. Just in case you don't know what kind of people are they:
>be Diablo 2 fan because you never played D1
>have 3000 hours in it
>refuse to play anything else
>want D2 close and when a game with similar mechanic appear, shit on it because it's D2 clone

D2 fags have a point about D3 being shit. Blizzard ruined its own game with sets and legendaries giving +5000% damage to skills, just because they thought adding 20 difficulty levels was a good idea.

too stiff, too much RNG, in the end i was bored out of my mind, how the hell could I keep playing alone doing rifts and hoping for that sweet drop, or wasting a lot of resources on 1 fucking re-roll

What a retarded post.

Attached: gorilla1.jpg (482x475, 76K)

That‘s ARPGs for you. Even PoS and GD don‘t offer much more than more stuff with RNG tied to it. GD makes it a bit more interesting with a pretty cool journey throughout, so you won‘t just run gauntlets of the same level over and over again. Actually it‘s a bit like Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, less focused on getting that perfectly rolled gear. But endgame is still either Crucible or Shattered Realms, which are a hoard mode and D3 rifts respectively.

Dont play Path of Exile. Save yourself from that hell.

.we need a new definition for these looter games
Well, you just said it: looter RPG.

It's the autoclicker of ARPGs.
You're better off playing D1.

Whats wrong with PoE?

Everything.

China.

Literally no argument.

Next week starts a new league. Big brains tune in on Friday.

Attached: aaahhhhhh.jpg (478x478, 72K)

Try Path of Exile first.
It's free and if you find it too complicated then Diablo 3 could be a good choice for you.
If you care about story and lore looking for Diablo I and II on some abandonware site might be worth (Diablo I is on gog for $8 or so).

>be PC fag
>brag about 4k 120fps
>spend ~1300 eurodollars every year for new card, motherboard and professional gaming mouse
>play f2p game because you don't have money for games and muh seasons
There is nothing better than to play the same shit over and ovet again.
>the game ACTUALLY starts when you reach lv 80

>Diablo I is on gog for $8 or so
With or without Hellfire?

user, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Attached: What the fuck are you doing there you little shit.jpg (753x753, 327K)

>heard
>Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it
Listened?

PRAAAAAP BRAAAAAP POOOOOOOP POOOOOOOOOOOOPIE