What happened to our video game prices? Games now cost up to $80, it's insane...

What happened to our video game prices? Games now cost up to $80, it's insane. I know our dollars is not strong right now, but $80 is absurd. We have seen a hike in price of 20$ since the past years.

I miss when 1 USD was equal to 1.05-1.1 CAD. Now it's worth like 1.45. Why is this happening?

Attached: 23-235655_feels-bad-frog-meme-pepe-the-frog-canada[1].jpg (820x1171, 337K)

Lunch at McDonalds is $10 these days, man.

>Sixth generation
>$40
>Seventh generation
>$60
>Eighth generation
>$80

Attached: buggy.png (648x450, 476K)

A Fucking Leaf

Don't like it? Come to Australia where 12 months Xbox Live Gold costs $89, and games are released at $99.95.

Well, the Canadian dollar took a dump a few months back so that probably explains the prices.

Attached: vidya.jpg (742x960, 142K)

>he doesn't use coupons
I can get a good meal with leftovers and a soda with a refill for 4 dollars. McD's food is trash regardless, and their dollar soda isn't worth it now that they use that single faucet mixer that makes everything taste like shit.

90% of the Canadian population lives on the border of the United States, I assume most of you do, drive to the US and buy games in bulk, save money, return home.

It's based on our dollar being weaker and companies rounding up to hedge against the dollar further dropping, capitalize on the fact Canadians pay for overpriced things regardless, and because it looks better than 77.65 or whatever random amount the dollar trades at that week.

As for why, it's because the economy was based heavily on oil which tanked over the past few years. It's also better for many sectors of the economy to be lower than the USD so as long as it stays stable the people in charge are happy because it stimulates buying Canadian products due to lower costs. Be glad we avoided the recession and had a few years of parity. Not much to do about it now unless you wanted to change our economy from natural resource based to something more stable and long-term. Like that will ever fucking happen.

Oh, and the recent dips are looming global recessions and the elections scaring people off the CAD so it's taking a bigger hit than other countries and making it look worse than it is. Once the election ends and people can stop pretending the new government will do anything different things will even back out around what they were a year ago.

>buying games
do they not invent the internet yet up in canada?

It's kind of been holding steady at around 75 cents to the American dollar for a few years now.

It doesn't save us anything because our dollar is worth less so the exchange rate takes care of any potential savings.

Actually, if you can find some place that's got them on sale there's potential to save money. Depending on travel costs. The main kicker that keeps people from importing it shipping costs, which negate any savings. Although honestly it's barely anything so you really would need to buy in bulk to save any meaningful money.

Yeah, better to just preorder on Amazon and hope the game's price takes a small hit before release. I sometimes get new games for as little as $65 (like Smash Ultimate). My biggest savings from Amazon were when Xenoblade X somehow got reduced to $19.71 before release, and Steamworld Heist on WiiU got reduced to $0 from some weird price-matching glitch. Amazon honoured the lowest-price deal both times.

Sure E3 sales when everyone's competing for the major titles of the year you can get some good deals. That's not always an option though, and it's drying up fast. If it wasn't for Wal-mart putting on sales this year those Amazon deals wouldn't have existed because Bestbuy gave up trying. It's almost always exclusive to the major titles, as niche ones never get preorders during those sales periods or end up getting their prices hiked due to lower demand so people just have to accept the mark up because it's still cheaper than importing.

How the hell did you get Xenoblade X for under 20? Mine never got discounted that deep on Amazon. Sounds more luck serious dumb luck rather than something to rely on.

It was completely dumb luck. The algorithm sometimes goes crazy.

The worst part is that it jumped in one day not gradually. One day it’s $59.99 then the next it’s $79.99 coupled with 12% cuck tax

Nah dude it’s closer to $13.

Minimum wage in your nothern country is $11.32 per hour while in my huehuecountry is $1.20 per hour. Here games cost 60 dollars and a console that would cost 300 there cost 500 dollars here because of heavy tax added to imported electronics

Except they did creep up. They started adding 5-10 to prices and digital shops slowly started pricing things based on the exchange rates. Some things got larger price hikes than other things. Hell, I remember Nintendo changing their game prices on the eShop and DLC multiple times in a year to keep up with the exchange rate refusing to let a penny slip through. Even if the game came out the month before. Sales kept prices semi-normalized, but it was very noticeable if you focused on MSRP.

And then they spiked up when everyone realized the dollar wasn't going to recover and they all pretended it was going to drop even faster. They'd push past $80, but exchange rates are hovering closer to mid 70s so they've already rounded up in their favour. Plus with taxes in some provinces anything over 80 will be close to $100 and that will really impact sales. Triple digits has psychological impact people consciously register.

One thing I have noticed, if a game is $10 USD off because it's a budget title, it's $10 CAD too. No longer getting those $65 prices from a year ago, they're pretending the exchange rate is 1:1 for discounts. The future is looking bright.

How much do you pay in rent? How high are your taxes?

>what is currency conversion: the thread

Attached: 1564117595196.png (818x366, 46K)

You want cheaper video games (and shit in general)? Vote for smaller government. You expand the powers of the government and it fucks up the economy 100% of the time NO exceptions.

A rent is usually 100 dollars monthly. Taxes are about 60% of the price of the import. If a console costs 300 turns 500. Taxes are not added to games though. To afford a console you would need to use the full salary for the entire month at least

They meant taxes as in your government taxes on income. Minimum wage means dick all if you don't keep it all. As far as rent goes, it's the same for some parts of the country, or 50% cheaper than urban centres. Being $1000 a month at least, usually double that on average for the cities. So yeah, bitching about regional prices based on wages is always a recipe for a pointless pissing contest. There's always something that complicates things.

no asians or whites would willingly vote for a raghead, whats the ndp's endgame?

A house to buy here usually costs about 200k with 3 bedrooms, made of cinder blocks instead of plywood. So you can have a house for cheap that last longer. Food is also cheaper. The biggest problem is with imported electronics

>I miss when 1 USD was equal to 1.05-1.1 CAD. Now it's worth like 1.45. Why is this happening?
You idiots elected some stupid ass spineless hippy as your PM is what happened

>just vote for the guys responsible for every recession since WW2
lel

Have to stand out and that's not a bad way to take Toronto's votes, which after the provincial elections isn't too hard to imagine happening. The NDP aren't winning a majority either way, but if they can get a decent minority they'll be happy.

Tredeau isn't the reason for this. The country focusing the economy on oil and then global oil prices dipping did it. That happened under Harper, but even then it doesn't matter who the PM is considering the economy has been resource based for decades and this is the inevitable result.

Because 80 CAD is literally 60 USD. You are paying the same.

They are too retarded to figure this out, it's pointless.

I don't think Leafbros suddenly earn that much more

People who play 30$ or mor for video games are literal NPCs

Attached: 1566995230061m.jpg (488x1024, 57K)

you're a fucking retard, nigger.

>paying the standard price of US$60 is retarded
Care to explain why?

just wait a weak or a month, even a year. price WILL go down. stop being impatient.

that or pirate.

First of all i called you a retard for linking my post to another one with the exact same content.
Also Leafies probs don't get a raise whenever the CAD weakens to compensate.
Let's say you have like 600$ for free use every month.
Buying one game is 10% at 60$. If you have to pay 80$ that's suddenly 13.3% of your money.
Get my point?

Canada isn't a poor country.
You should be able to afford a 80 CAD game.
If you can't afford that then you wouldn't have been able to afford a 60 CAD one anyways.

Fucking greasy fast food pizza is 40 bucks.

>boo-hoo I live in a rich as fuck first world nanny state with all the benefits it brings but muh vidya is a bit more expensive than in the us ;(
t. mad thirdie, yes I am mad

These parties are all awful, I'm honestly considering voting green

Green is a meme party, they'll never even be in the same area code as victory. That said, I really don't wanna vote for anyone in this election. I'll probably end up voting conservative for no other reason than he's the only one with a shot at keeping PM Skippy from having another turn.

See, that's why i called you a retard

I live in Canada but get paid n American dollars. Life is p decent.

Canada is fucking irrelevant, useless maple syrup drinking faggots.

We're the most beloved country in the world. Or up there anyway. Plus G7.

this place fucking sucks my nigga

>Why is this happening?
Liberals.