Thoughts on Pre-Built PCs?

Thoughts on Pre-Built PCs?

>comes with keyboard/mouse
>comes with copy of windows
>comes with all the parts
>cables already in place and managed
>complete warranty

Seems like now adays it's cheaper to actually go Pre-Built. It's a lot more convenient that's for sure. Only real downside is you're going to need to buy a better PSU in 90% of them. When I built my PC 5 years ago I had parts coming in from newegg, amazon, tiger direct, and some meme sites just to save a few dollars and in the end shipping fucked my ass and it was a hassle.

Thoughts?

Attached: muhprebuilt.jpg (833x726, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/676xLJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OP is a brainlet

Does it come with poptarts?

Is it cheaper though?

you have to be careful with every component though
mobo, PSU, CPU heatsink and GPU could be some basic OEM one

On sale it is just like if all parts are on sale.

they used to be for uber brainlets because they'd cost WAY WAY more than the parts they used, and you'd be paying a fuck ton for the brand/case.

now a days they're much better deals because entire businesses are built around building them wholesale so your price is a lot better. still cheaper to just build your own but you're less of a retard buying a prebuilt today than 5-10 years ago.

you're still a retard now mind you, just less of one.

This, a lot of them look like good deals because they are using the cheapest components available

I use the same HP prebuilt my work uses I just increased the ram and put a 1050ti in it.

why are glass panels a fad now
they look neat and are super cheap
what's the catch why is tempered glass in a nice looking case only $40

Just b urself

I'm actually considering buying the model in the OP image, but only if it's on sale so I can put the extra cash towards upgrading a few things, but then again I don't know how to build a PC.

I'm basically a dummy playing a waiting game

Attached: fiiiiiineeqqqfhdsb.png (323x339, 137K)

what processor do you use? i've just built myself a pc (pic related) and kind of regret now not just buying a workstation and upgrading that. probably would have worked been cheaper and easier in the end, especially since i don't give a shit about memes like LEDs

glass is not really expensive overall

pic related, it's like $45

if you're looking for "savings" bying pre built is stupid

i guess you're right now that i think about all the shit you can get glass. it just feels so "premium" when you have a big tempered glass panel in the box instead of a metal sheet

Attached: 1554204453514.png (548x708, 204K)

Same reason LED fans are cheaper than normal fans. The more people buy a product the more invested companies are to make a cheaper product. Older things get left behind.

That pre made pc in the OP was 769.99 last cyber monday.

The problem with pre-builts is they ruin the best part of PCs which is the customization and upgradability. You get a pre-built, then you probably can't upgrade stuff, because they used the cheapest parts they could which will bottleneck you if you try to upgrade something.

Oh I remember that price well, and I regret having cold feet up until the point it was out of stock. I guess I have such a strong fear or buyer's remorse that I didn't even get myself to buy it after all. Black Friday is circled this time.

Attached: horror.jpg (1280x720, 51K)

>which will bottleneck you if you try to upgrade something

How? If the MOBO supports current gen hardware since it's using current gen hardware how would you not be able to upgrade? People say cheapest parts as if it isn't something they are going to do when kitting up a PC. You end up cutting corners somewhere to save money.

>comes with keyboard and mouse
Jesus, I get maybe not caring what's in your computer but a mouse and keyboard is so personal, it's disgusting to think you'd just use what came with your garbage LED prebuilt

i use a shitty old logitech usb keyboard and the only mouse walmart had in stock when i built my pc which happened to be a shitty blackweb LED gaming mouse (which is just that mouse that every company sells just with their logo slapped on the LED part)

This. NZXT lets you pick the components, you're still getting wallet raped, but at least you're getting peace of mind with a complete warranty.

LED fans are often more expensive than normal ones. Especially LED ones that happen to be good ones.

hyper 212's with red LEDs are cheaper than the plain black non LED ones.
maybe those blocky 90s computer lab color beige and brown ones are cheaper but the 212s are definitely cheaper with LEDs than without because i bought them recently and wanted the non LED version but had to settle for the LED version

the hardest part to putting together your own PC is installing the OS and the drivers. The rest is just adult legos. Don't pay some company an extra couple hundred bucks for that. Do it once on your own and then you'll realize how easy it is and have money you saved in your pocket.

Attached: 1537925446963.gif (480x270, 1000K)

I'm sorry to hear that user, that's a sad existence

This is bullshit. It's not just adult legos. You need to be careful with the little wires when you're setting up your case. It's not hard at all, especially if you get a guide, but in no way is it harder than sticking a w10 USB into the slot then using the driver CDs your hardware came with

Prebuilts are fine as long as you do your research and actually know what's inside the computer you're buying instead of going to somewhere like Best Buy and buying whatever shit the floor person recommends.

that's not even the bad part i'm fine with that but my hard drive is ripped out of an old laptop, so there's this weird auto-brightness setting in the OS settings that I can't change that dims the screen no matter what I do when the screen is dark. it fucking sucks and I think the only way to fix it is to wipe the HDD all together which defeats the purpose of me using the laptop hard drive in the first place.

now that's hard times daddeh.

Attached: 1536591755729.png (1280x720, 966K)

>it's so much cheaper to just build your own

PC part picker this or a better PC for 820 USD. Don't forget a copy of windows, a wifi adapter, and a mouse and keyboard.

>b-but you don't n-need those things!!1

Don't cherry pick. It comes with the pre built so throw it in. Assume the person doesn't have a PC and isn't going to pirate.

Attached: 5262464462.jpg (760x240, 58K)

>Don't forget a copy of windows, a wifi adapter, and a mouse and keyboard.

Attached: 1493151190_Kaiokek6.jpg (323x181, 32K)

The only drawback I see out of that is that the SSD is kind of small

>he can't do it

yikes must be so super secret to get them cheaper that only big brains can do it

Only a retard would want those things though, id drop the wifi adapter and windows key and get a 2060.

With the prebuilt you need to buy a separate mouse and keyboard anyway if you don't already have them as the ones that comes included are shit

now post the PSU

>pre built comes with it
>i'm just not going to buy it so mine is cheaper xd xd

??

Attached: zl6kgjj005831.png (512x384, 263K)

>Wi-fi adapter
You mean ethernet cable

These. They often use trash like AMD so beware

it comes with a wifi adapter built in

some 600w power supply

but like op said your probably going to need to buy a new one

>MMMUH SHIT CABLE
Fuck off boomer
Wifi is far surperior than your shitty cord

>Windows
Companies get their copies in bulk and it costs literal cents for them. You’re an idiot if you pay for windows, even normies know this.
>wifi adapter
Most motherboards have wifi by default
>mouse and keyboard
Costs $20 at most.

>not going to buy it
No one said that except you. But as you'd need to buy another one anyway, it should not be included in the comparison price.

Still waiting for a pc part picker build anons!

You "can't" upgrade because of the bottlenecking. You generally have to upgrade all of the parts at once, in which case why not just build your own PC in the first place?

I own that exact tower

It runs everything I have in my library really great

I honestly doubt it's possible. Then again it's not a computer that I'd want in the first place.
> i5
Yeah good enough for gaming but I do other things too.
> 1660
Yeah no
> 120gb SSD
Why would anyone want less than 512? Or even 1tb?
> 1tb HDD
HDD? Do I live in Africa? No.
> Win10 Home
I'd need to replace it with pro anyway.

Not the guy you responded to, but I specifically got a 120GB SSD because I only wanted my OS and other system-important files on it. I built my own PC knowing I was going to use the (multiple) 1TB drives I had from my older builds and wanted to use those as my main storage.

My last build was the same and it was a good setup, especially since stuff you already have costs nothing. Right now I have a single 1tb SSD and will never go back to HDDs.
That said the in-machine storage is only for the OS, installed software and things I'm working on, using a NAS for permanent storage.

Holy fuck you're literally retarded if you think wifi is in any way shape or form superior to an ethernet connection

the build is fucking joke for these money...

b-but cables are ugleh

Attached: gay.gif (500x640, 2.97M)

>Cheaper to go pre-built

lol do you not have a local store that sells computer parts?

Shipping = $0

They only reason to buy pre-built is because you are lazy or don't know how to put together a desktop

This amount of projecting. Holy fuck. You're in such denial that it's actually cringe even by Yea Forums standard.

And what am I projecting?

pcpartpicker.com/list/676xLJ
This build has a much better cpu, double the ram, and a larger ssd. With the mouse and keyboard, it's the same price.

>but what about windows???
If your build needs a copy of windows then that only supports the argument that pre-builts are for retards.

No it's cheaper to pick your parts yourself and pay a computer store to build it as long as you don't also pay them to install the OS. You also don't get bloatware.

>he does it for free

Attached: 1546943477911.png (899x898, 1.35M)

>If your build needs a copy of windows then that only supports the argument that pre-builts are for retards.
That said you can get win10 pro with a legit licence for like $15

You shouldn't spoonfeed user. Let the retards buy their terrible pre-builts

What is with these horrible GPUs

How much of a meme are all-in-one PCs to you, Yea Forums? They're basically big ole scams, but I can't ignore how delicious it would be to have only ONE wire (power cord) and how fucking clean they look. Would you ever, under any circumstance, consider buying one?

Attached: 1.jpg (530x530, 33K)

please explain how

Nope. Like you said, big ole scam. There's no room to work with in there so if something breaks you're fucked. Like a laptop without the mobility.

I can't get over how clean they look though. Any ideas to emulate an AIO experience?

Not my fault you bought an AMD gpu and now can't play any games

I got mine for $1.45.

My brother bought the key for me off Ebay. I assume either leftover corporate keys or Window keys aren't region locked.

Companies buy both bulk and per-machine licenses, then they sell off the per-machine ones through shady dealers
The dealers are, as I said, shady, but the licenses are genuine

It's good if you have more money than time and don't want to learn about PC parts and shit. But at that point I don't know why you wouldn't just buy a console. They are basically pre-built PCs with a propietary OS anyway.

You can buy a legit key off eBay for like 2 bucks.

I only used to buy pre-built, but when I finally decided to take the leap and build my own toaster, I don't think I'll be going back.

I can get all of my peripherals locally, the mobo I got came with all of the cables I needed, the case I got was large enough to house everything (i.e. the GPU, and CPU fan), and the only thing I really wanted a warranty for was the mobo and I got it.

My toaster:
Mobo: B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
CPU Fan: Noctua U12S SE AM4 (I've read horror stories about the stock cooler so I got this)
Ram: 32 GB (2x 16GB DDR4 Hyper X 2666MHz)
GPU: RX580 8GB
PC Case: Corsair 200R Carbide
PSU: Beast 700W
HDD: WD Blue 2TB (Yes I know it's shit)

If I want to upgrade further, I could get a bios upgrade so I could use the 3000 series CPUs, and switch out the GPU for something else (I believe it's even compatible with the 2080 Ti). I don't think I could say the same thing if I bought some pre-built PC with a phantom motherboard.

Fuck no. I mean, yes it looks sleek but, I think it's performance would be suspect, and also this

Several months ago I built
Msi 370z-pro
I5-9600k
1060 6gb
16gb 3200 DDR4
256gb NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
3tb hard drive
Full tower glass panel case
850W 80+ Gold fully modular PSU
For 900USD get a cheaper case, PSU, no hard drive, cheap SSD, and you can easily bump up to a 1660 and get some excessories and a Windows key.

You can get an Intel NUC. Still not a good value and won't be just one wire(need a monitor), but they aren't as horrible as most AIO. The Hades NUC is actually kind of an impressive 1080p gaming box considering it only uses like 100 watts. But you could build a completely kickass desktop for the same money

Tell me anons is this a good PC?

Attached: Screenshot_20190813-145558~2.png (1040x1665, 363K)

>32 GB of RAM
>No SSD

Attached: 1515004788857.jpg (228x238, 13K)

I bought one with a 1070 in it for cheaper than I could've gotten just a 1070 back during the bitcoin craze, they can be worth it under the right circumstances but usually just building is cheaper and let's you avoid chinknesium mobos

>8gigs of RAM in the current year, especially when RAM is cheap as fuck now

Attached: 1560840424319.png (587x606, 276K)

>120GB SSD
>mystery PSU
Hard pass

call around to repair shops to see if theyll build you one. youll be glad you did

What did he mean by this?

Attached: Dood.jpg (1200x1189, 319K)

Is this okay? I mean, usually I get told to buy a million different parts for X or Y, so I just want to know if this build is fine or not instead of specific replacements unless there's a big issue.

Attached: nooooooo.jpg (1069x590, 290K)

Is the 5700 XT worth the extra money compared to a 5700?

Attached: 1564744905299.png (2267x1903, 496K)

I would get one if I exclusively played retro and other non-demanding games

Yes, they are fine, nothing exactly wrong, although an x470 for a Ryzen 2600 seems a bit too much, are you planning to upgrade it later? I'm also not so sure about the quality of the ventus series from msi.
Yes.

looks pretty solid to me, user

> 8gb
> 1660
> SSD + HDD
> case made for 12-year-olds
> shitty keyboard (the one on the photo anyway)
No

> 1660
No
Also I honestly don't know if that RAM brand is good

I don't trust anything that doesn't tell you what the power supply or motherboard are because they're inevitably going to be cheap shit.

I see. These look super smol and simple. I somehow went from "BIGGER IS BETTER!!" and being super enthusiastic about full-featured good value desktops to being bothered and overly-sensitive about my space. I feel really attracted to the small, non-intrusive clean looking setups these days. Fuck. I doubt one of these could handle big photoshop files, dead by daylight and low latency guitar recording...

Attached: 22.jpg (225x225, 6K)

Filled with no name chinese OEM motherboards and PSUs, stay away from this shit and buy the parts yourself, you'll be saving money too.

Only a super brainlet retard can't build his own PC.
Even 8 year olds build their own PC.

>Needed fresh new setup. Keyboard and everything
>Friend tried to build me one, but couldn't keep price under $2500
>Bought pic related for $2100
>Play everything at 144hz on ultra max
>Friend mad I bought a laptop

lol

Attached: AsusROG.jpg (830x467, 40K)

What's this about 8GB ram being shit? I only took 8 GB on my recent build because I'm never doing more than 1 or two different things at a time. I've had zero issues running games (including new releases) and even if I were, I just close my internet browser.

Whatever, just don't pay extra for something as stupid as RGB.

The fuck kinda super computer was your friend trying to build where he couldn't get under $2500?

Unless you're literally retarded there's no reason to ever go pre-built. Their business model is predicated on the fact that you're going to be too stupid to understand what you're buying, so don't be. Do the least you can do and read up on parts and pricing. If you REALLY don't want to build it yourself, find one with quality parts at a price that doesn't fuck you in the ass, but remember that it will always cost far more than it would have to just buy the parts and build it yourself.

When you factor monitor, keyboard, mouse, and rig it's pretty hard to get 144hz capable setup.

This is in the same range for some laptops spec wise and for the same or more money. Really terrible.

Bought a prebuilt a few months ago and it's working absolutely fine. Can play most games on max settings with several hundred fps and rare frame drops.

Attached: 1563305649205.png (825x707, 648K)

>What's this about 8GB ram being shit?
This is asked by the same kind of people who complain that some games chug along at 5 fps instead of playing smoothly.
Pathologic 2 for example, all threads are full of people who complains that the game is stuttering. Meanwhile I play it at 144hz.

Attached: spec.png (813x572, 55K)

It used to be a sure-fire way to fuck yourself over in terms of prices and quality. These days it's absolutely fine as long as you do your research and make sure to buy from a reputable company.

That cooler can be a pain in the ass to mount but it's a fine build. Might want to Shell out a bit more fish on the CPU so you can somewhat future proof the Mobo/cooler setup.

Ah, if you're playing at 144 then that must be the difference. I (still) play games at 60 and have not had any slowdown. I'm hoping to upgrade to 120FPS at which point I'll buy a couple more sticks of ram, but until then, I guess this works for me.

>Buy mobo
>Ask manufacturer if it will work with new generation i5
>they say yes
>buy it
>It actually isn't compatible at all.
>End up breaking pins trying to remove.
I'll just buy prebuilt ty. Fuck ASSrock

It doesn't really make much of a difference - we're talking a few frames at most. It's not 2011 anymore however, RAM is dirt cheap and you might as well be on the safe side when many games are usually badly optimized.

I haven't updated my PC since 2012. I'm still on sandy bridge and a GTX 680. How much am I spending to rebuild? I'm so out of touch I don't know where to start. Is AMD any good yet?

>Ah, if you're playing at 144 then that must be the difference
No the difference is which games we play. Maybe you are playing ones that are adapted for 8gb. But not all are.

>Hey will this work?
>yeah sure whatever just buy it and stop bothering me
>plug it in, doesn't work
WOOOOOOW HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO RESEARCH?

8GB of ram doesn't do it anymore. Especially thanks to hogs like Chrom, Winshit10 and badly optimized video games.
You are better off getting 16GB of ram, its not that bad price range anymore.

>>comes with keyboard/mouse
Garbage ones
>>comes with copy of windows
You don’t need a copy to run windows and if you want a license you should by you own
>>comes with all the parts
All computers “come with all the parts” otherwise they wouldn’t function?
>>cables already in place and managed
Why does this matter to you if you are buying a prebuilt? If airflow is a concern even a monkey can use zip ties and velcro
>>complete warranty
Buy parts with a warranty or get a warranty of the expensive parts you care about? Isn’t that better than if something randomly goes wrong with your comp and you send the whole thing in and claim the warranty?

nothing wrong with pre-built pcs nowadays, i just HATE the RGB GAMER XTREME aesthetic that most of them have.

The last time I bought a pre-built PC was in 2006 from ibuypower. Friends of mine have purchased builds from the prebuilt NZXT line and have had only good things to say about them. The best thing about prebuilts is having the cable management done for you, but putting together a PC is not difficult.

Research had conflicting results dumbtard. Some sites said yes other said no. Manufacturers the people who built the fucking thing should know or not.
Take a noose jump.

I don't know about now but back when bitcoin was at its peak it was cheaper because of people making bitcoin farms

>mfw finally getting to build my new pc Saturday and going from windows 8 with 8 gigs ram to 32 gigs, the highest end of the r9 series and actual proper cooling
This is such a huge damn jump for me it's gonna be glorious

Attached: 1565153851071.jpg (600x600, 58K)

this case is a pile of crap , not room at the front for the fans . You will get shit thermal

>conflicting results regarding a pretty important purchase
>go through anyway - "it'll probably work out :)"
lol

>Manufacturers don't know if their products even work.
Sounds about right.

>proper cooling

so patrician aircooling with noctua fans and NH an D15 right?

I just upgraded from a 3570k and gtx670 this summer. Whats your budget and are you looking for a full rebuild? AMD us getting their shit together but theyre not a clear buy like Intel was back then when AMD released bulldozer years ago.

Cable management is easy too if you aren't a complete mouth breather

What case is that?

Meme fans.

I'll be honest with you. I got a prebuilt a few years back and it did work well for a while but I did eventually replace most of the parts in it and the only thing that's really remained is the case. If you really really do not fuck around with building one then atleast get one of the better deals from newegg. That said, build your own. It's really really easy and it will be more worth while.

Attached: 56653.png (1280x720, 948K)

Frankly anything is better than me sticking a box fan next to my open tower and hoping for the best

I got like 600 bucks to my name. I'd like to build one soon.

What range are budgets in these days? Are they still around 500 and up? Is 500 still gonna be sort of shitty?

>Is 500 still gonna be sort of shitty
Yeah. I personally set aside about $800 so that I don't even have to worry about it for the next 5 years or so. Longer depending on how good new games are (shit right now) so I expect my build to last 10.

I never add accessories or windows to my budget so are you saying 800 strictly on the PC?

I did the same thing, but only because I already had all of the accessories. I'm not going to buy a new M&KB if I already have a functional set. You can shoot a little lower if you need to buy all the extras, but don't include the monitor in the budget, it'll take up too much by itself.

It's probably 800 because of a good or decent gpu. Otherwise you're stick with a low end card or an apu build maybe.

What might you suggest to fill that role, if you'd be so kind?
CPUs are something I hear wildly differing opinions on over this and that, so sometimes it's bothersome.

got lazy so I actually ended up buying this exact shit, ended up replacing the heatsink as it was stock, and the power supply which was some bugmen stock supply. Works amazingly now but would not recommend, just build your own

1. you can combine second hand parts or do your research and get good prices on different websites
2. warranty not breached if you update your bios or some stupid shit like this
you need to be an absolute pc noob to do that

Is there a good gaming laptop I can use as a drawing tablet too?

I've got a
i7 9700k
Asus rog strix-e z390 motherboard
ASUS rog strix 2080 ti
ASUS rog ryujin 360 AIO
Nocuta chromax fans, x3
intel 660p 2tb NVMe
Hitachi 4tb HDD 7200rpm
G.Skill trident z 16gb 3200mhz cl14 black and white
Corsair RM850 psu
Lian li pc-011 Dynamic black

for about 2,500 USD new (actually think it was around 2,400 and change). It's a mostly non-rgb build. What do you think?

Attached: 1537306874079.gif (450x478, 587K)

actually 2668 my bad

you're actually braindead if you think pre-built pcs are good in any way.

What do you need so much storage for?

obviously CP

If you go through a reputable company that lets you pick your own parts then I see nothing wrong with it.
If you're going to somewhere like Walmart and grabbing whatever looks pretty without doing research then you deserve whatever piece of shit you get.

>intel 660p 2tb NVMe
do all SSDs look like this now or something? my old samsung SSD from years ago just looks like a smaller harddrive.

>$2500 PC
>16GB ram

Why would anyone not go for a Ryzen chip in 2019?

Maybe because you can customize your build without paying extra for garbage meme fans, disgusting swampy keyboards, and far from accurate mice? Plus you can always get W10 keys for cheap. For free most likely if you are a college student.