Games should be sold in hot-swappable SSD cartridges instead of Blu-ray discs

Games should be sold in hot-swappable SSD cartridges instead of Blu-ray discs.
>higher capacity
>more durable
>better read speeds, think of how fast games would load
>less cost on the console side, no need for an expensive blu-ray drive
>won't take as much space, think of the form factor of a red mini mag but not overpriced snake oil

Attached: ssdcartridge.jpg (601x600, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Blue-500GB-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B00461G3MS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nice just 120$ for a new game, very epic

Why don't they just put games on Micro sds?
It's cheaper and smaller.

>expensive blu-ray drive
how much do you think they cost

Optical discs are insanely cheap to manufacture compared to solid state storage. Just look at the problem Nintendo has getting third parties to use their higher capacity cards instead of putting half a game on a smaller card and forcing you to download the rest of it.

You're right but because everyone thinks "HURRR DUH N64 WAS CARTS AND IT WAS EXPENSIVE AND SMALL CAPACITY AND BAD!!" people think that's still the case today

>games
>sold
>games
>disks

Attached: Confused_x32.jpg (434x434, 150K)

Flash is still expensive to mass produce in comparison to discs. Pennies vs dollars.

>Games should be sold in hot-swappable SSD cartridges instead of Blu-ray discs.
Are you prepared to pay Brazilian prices for new games? If not, shut up and use your optical and flash storage mediums.

and it is

It’s still the case today, discs will always be the superior choice.

Now go download 75% of the game you just bought cartridgefag.

And solid state storage is still far superior to optical, and these days enough space for your game is not expensive

OP's pic costs $1,450

Yeah, I think I'm about 10 years too late in posting this.

>Accidentally inhale mario kart
Not again!

Attached: There_comes_a_point_where_we_must_admit_disk_space_is_made_up_and_this_is_just_fucking_plastic.jpg (1524x1298, 205K)

It's an mSATA ssd in a metal case, probably $30 in materials.

Alright, and where would the customer plug his game in? Would he have to open up his case and fumble around with sata connectors or would this be a sata to usb type converter thing? or should pc manufacturers start making a standardized external slot for these cartridges?

You're just asking for a bigger SD card.
Despite retards talking costs, cartridges have always been viable, albeit generally in lower capacity. 50GB is plenty of space, and this is entirely doable today.

How the fuck does RED get away with it? All their shit is overpriced even by enthusiast standards.

It's superior in speed but not in cost. You can try as hard you can to convince me but it won't convince companies. It's like trying to tell a small company to upgrade their infrastructure but they won't because the cost and downtime outweighs the benefits so that's why they still use sandy bridge processors.

I'm thinking that this would be a good idea on next gen consoles. Pretty much a PS2 memory card like port on the front of it.

I agree, but we'll need a cool name for them. maybe, "karts"?

By making LITERALLY EVERYTHING. Including their software and file types proprietary.

Once you buy in you can’t leave

Get a load of this BLU shill guys.

Idiot, it's clearly a bevelled magazine, or a "Ridged cart"

The only issue with discs nowadays is that everyone uses a proprietary medium, and games are getting bloated due to how much space was available.
Hotswap SSDs would actually make the issue WAY WAY worse than it is now in the age of 100GIGABYTE 50 GIG DAY ONE PATCH games.

This is without a doubt the future, at least once it becomes less expensive to produce.

Years later, cartridges make their return to vidya dominance.

How much does a blue ray disc cost? 0,30$?

Retards like MKBHD shill their shit non stop and make others thing this is the best way to go and they gotta pay the big bucks for it otherwise they wont make it on the YT game.

In the future, the only hardware you'll have is the telescreen and a 10gbps connection, all your computing/gaming will be done on the cloud

>Retards like MKBHD
he never says anything RED makes is the go-to for someone on a budget. Also Hollywood uses RED equipment all the time. Arctic was shot using the RED Dragon

stop hating on the dude just because he's black lmao

Aren't Switch cards basically that?

Do you know the REAL average age of people who own consoles? These would be swallowed, lost, or stepped-on like you wouldn't believe. MicroSD also has dogshit throughput on all but the priciest cards, so aside from value, when you take into account that games are routinely 50+GB, any game that doesn't ask for a mandatory (almost hour-long) install will hitch like crazy. Nintendo has to eat a huge loss on Switch carts, because for the carts to actually have decent access times, it needs pricey Class 10-esqe flash, which is why Switch games are ungodly expensive for what they are

You're also limited to the ancient FAT32 (so assets have to be split into slow 4GB chunks with tiny filenames), NTFS (lmao), or ExFAT (so everything mysteriously-disappears after a year), even if everything goes digital, UDF on discs is as good as it gets for people that want to play a new game RIGHT now, assuming it doesn't have a day-one patch

Developers could MAYBE get bulk deals for 128GB NVME cheap drives at $30 a pop.

Microcenter has had their store brand NVME drives at $30/128GB before.

But this would result in $90 games. Kinda dumb.

Yeah we already went over this google, the laws of physics prevent you from destroying ownership entirely it doesn't matter how many gbps you squeeze in.

SD cards have slow reads/writes because the literally zero cost controller IP used in them. There is nothing about the design that limits read/write performance, and there is literally nothing that makes faster controllers prohibitively expensive.

Then we truly won't own anything and will be nothing more than cash cows suckling at the teats of mega corporations.

But dude it's only natural wages will rise over time right haha

blu ray disc: $0.12
512gb HDD: $40

Nintendo manages to get it done for $60 for most games. $40 for some. I think your problem is exaggerated.

Haha no see you'll still be able to custom build a PC, but it will be a virtual machine and you'll pay a monthly fee to have the configuration you like. It'll just run on some hyper converged server out in bumfuck wherever and you'll have no control over it doesn't that sound AWESOME

He said SSD, not substandard flash storage.

Even a 2.5in Sata SSD is 5 times faster than Switch game cards.

Why do I have an obsession with stuff that looks like that?

Attached: 23873.jpg (400x400, 25K)

Again, whole laws of physics thing again, this literally wouldn't work.

Where the hell can I buy blu ray disks for twelve cents?

I don't understand what you mean by this

Its just NAND cells, a controller, and pinout. An SSD is a form factor, not a specific performance standard, kiddo.
There isn't much difference between an M.2 SSD, an SD card, and a game cartridge like those used by the switch.

I wish I could be as dumb as you.

Ping is ping
That's all you need to know.
And that's even without getting into the logistics of the I/O of that many virtual machines.

You realize they have over 100gb in cartridge form now right?

Why are cartfags always retarded?

yeah no

Attached: red mini mag.png (1398x496, 157K)

Nice retort, kiddo. Sorry you're totally uninformed, but thats reality. There is literally nothing significantly different between any of them except different types and bit densities of the NAND, and the controllers used.
A NAND slice with an entry level Phison controller isn't any different from another no matter what formfactor it is.

Can they look like this?

Attached: 1566293109367.jpg (1080x1080, 384K)

This can work right now because SSD prices are rapidly falling.
During the 2010s, SSD prices only slowly depreciated and often times never even changed prices for a whole year. Now we're seeing them down 30% every year and it's glorious.
I have maybe 6 SSDs in my PC and need to buy another one because the prices keep dropping and I keep running out of space. It's an annoying occurrence. I'd rather just have a game per SSD and keep buying more smaller quantity SSDs every few months than a larger SSD every year only having to add more to my PC until the damn thing runs out of SATA ports.

Attached: Intel-SSD-520-PCB-Top.jpg (750x513, 253K)

Yeah

And not like this?

Attached: 1566293171488.jpg (720x720, 88K)

>512gb HDD: $40
u wot

The difference between a professionally pressed, or "replicated" disc, and a recordable disc is a pretty major one. That's true of all of the major disc formats, from CD/CD-R to Blu-ray.

Attached: 2TB HDD.png (786x163, 43K)

Yes, for now. Give it some time and we'll all be on much better infrastructure.

cost prohibitive

SD cards are slow af tho. They're so slow they make 5400RPM HDDs seem light-speed in comparison.

reminder that Nintendo struggles to produce 64gb switch cartridges but only because they chose a tiny form factor
a cartridge the size of a 2.5" SSD could be made with cheap NAND (since theres zero reason to reflash it) and still hold more than a blu ray. You could even go old school and put the nand controller in the console and have the cartridge connect with a fuckton of pins.

Become a mega Corp and by in bulk.

IT CAN WORK NOW YOU GUYS JUST IGNORE THIRD PARTY PORTS ON THE SWITCH DON’T LOOK AT THAT

Literally, the laws of physics prevent this. There is no "get better infrastructure" about it.
They couldn't even get acceptable performance out of a closed network at a PREMIERE EVENT.

The common ones are only slow because they use a super cheap controller which has legacy support with absolutely everything in existence. Read/write speed is not limited by the form factor.

>reminder that Nintendo struggles to produce 64gb switch cartridges but only because they chose a tiny form factor
Nothing about this is accurate. You can fit 1TB on a microSD card.

Attached: howonliveworks1.png (596x600, 871K)

No YOU LITERALLY CAN’T BECAUSE SELLING A GAME FOR 300$ IS NOT AN OPTION

nigga a 120Gb SSD costs 15 bucks

>You can fit 1TB on a microSD card.

which costs hundreds of dollars. if the price of the cartridge itself is more than a few bucks developers/publishers wont make enough money off of even a 60 dollar game, and the format wont get used.

Are you actually diagnosed autistic, dipshit?
You just tried to argue that physical size of the form factor is limiting storage density which is categorically false. Now you instantly shit goalposts and say its cost prohibitive when that had nothing to do with your autistic argument.
The 1TB cards are the market do not cost $400 to produce. They carry a premium and sell for absurd profit margins because they're halo products.

This. Also in the near future we'll be using your biometrics to authenticate. Nothing personnel

Nice! Just 125 times more expensive than a blue ray disc.

Attached: 6EA5C322-E1C6-4B60-BE7C-9BCF826F4941.png (220x229, 5K)

>too autistic to see an example as anything but
A 64gb microSD card costs less than a dollar to produce.
Get tested, spectrum case.

lmao why are pc nerds so dumb. why cant they just make infinite storage. none of its real anyways

unless nintendo owns the fabrication plants themselves that means fuckall

God you’re a fucking retard, fucking LA Noire on the Switch requires the entire game to be downloaded because no publisher wants to use anything but 8gb carts.

>gives shitty example
>WOOOOW WHY DONT YOU UNDERSTAND ME ARE YOU AUTISTIC

>I have no idea how bulk purchasing of industry components works
Why are you like this, kid?

Some switch games have 32GB ROMs, kid.
Seriously. Why are you all so fucking opinionated on topics you know literally nothing about? Get yourselves tested for autism. You definitely have it. Retard.

BD reader: ten gorillion shekels
SATA6 port: 2 cents

Reminder: This argument is over a decade old, and throughout that entire time, cartridge games have still existed.
Cartridge have always been and always will be viable.

Blue ray disc : 0.12$
120Gb SSD : 15$

Do the math

(you)
+
(me)
=
amazing buttsecks
do the math

what an awful post

>512gb HDD: $40
nigga 512gb HDD is probably single digit dollar cost or very closet to it
10 bucks max

i see 2tb drives on amazon for 40 bucks

Ok so now look for the prices for a 500gb drive.

because console fags and console companies don't like standardization and cheaper prices.

$22 amazon.com/Blue-500GB-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B00461G3MS
first result on google

Not add..

Physical is dead, grandpa.

Attached: Stadia-logo-final-696x344.png (696x344, 115K)

If the controllers and NAND on SD cards and SATA/NVMe SSDs are the same, then can you explain to me why most SD cards cap their sequential R/W speed to 40-80 MB/s, unlike the typical 500 MB/s of a SATA SSD?

Physical is going away. Deal with it.

Attached: weldesrt.jpg (522x272, 15K)

I didn't say they were the same, I said they weren't significantly different, and they aren't.
NAND is only as fast as its controller, and cheap SD cards are designed to have compatibility with dozens of different devices, all of which have varying levels of support for various SD card standards. They aren't designed for performance, and no one is really demanding more than 90mb/s. Samsung's UFS cards failed to really take off despite having reads and writes around 600mb/s because it has very little practical use to the end user.