I've been a fan of Dragon Quest since the first game released in the US in 1989...

I've been a fan of Dragon Quest since the first game released in the US in 1989. I always thought it was a fantastic JRPG series that didn't get enough recognition. It seems that Nintendo & SquareEnix are finally trying to make XI the one that gets people into the series and it seems to be working.

However, I'm a little worried that it's drawing the wrong crowd. On one hand, I'm happy to see new fans of the series -- it deserves any and all attention it can get. On the other, I'm becoming increasingly concerned that the type of people who are getting into it are the tumblr/twitter/social justice types.

I've been noticing more posts on social media, forums, etc. where people are suddenly starting to question and criticize aspects of the series that have existed for decades. When you go on their profiles they have trans-flag anime avatars, "I'm gay" bios, etc. I don't find anything particularly wrong with either of those things but the types of people who make that sort of thing their identity online are kind of terrible when it comes to communicating their opinions.

So anyways, calling it now: Dragon Quest is going to shift from being some obscure male nerd interest to being overrun with SJWLGBTQ people that are going to demand more female representation that isn't seen through the lens of male-gaze-eyecandy (or whatever) and they're probably going to call out Sugiyama for being an ant-LGBT Japanese Nationalist.

It's already happening but it's going to get a lot worse and I'm worried for the future of the series.

Attached: 9F6tVR1.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

yaraon-blog.com/archives/157040
twitter.com/AnonBabble

SWJs can't play past the first 15 minutes of a JRPG we be fine bro

>I'm becoming increasingly concerned that the type of people who are getting into it are the tumblr/twitter/social justice types
Welcome to every fandom ever. Protip: you can't do anything about it but ignore them.

i've dabbled with the series since i was a little kid. the demo for XI on switch impressed me a lot.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not against better female representation in this series. In most Dragon Quest games it would be perfectly fine (and probably better) to be able to choose the Hero's gender like you could in 3 & 4, so I'm surprised that wasn't continued throughout the series.

I just know that SJWs will make it a point of contention and it's going to stir up a lot of negative energy and bad feelings in the community where it didn't exist before.

thats just because it got released on switch

Sugiyama is just the composer and like 93 years old, dudes gonna be worm food soon who cares

I doubt they will abandon their focus on Japanese audience given how big DQ is there. So unless nips get bluepilled (which might very well happen mind you), I doubt DQ will.

Don't forget 9 and 10. 4 of the 11 mainline DQ games give you the option of being female, and almost every game has strong female party members. If they look deeper, then I don't think we have much to worry about. The problem is that they look at just the surface.

I doubt they'll be able to do anything beyond slight censors of future releases on Nintendo consoles since Sugiyama is extremely stubborn, they can't actually do shit without a sizable sales portion, and they're across the sea.

I was interested but never picked up the game, until they announced a platform exclusive version with more content. That's just fucking over everyone who made your game succeed to begin with, so fuck Dragon Quest I guess.

Why is Dragon Quest not popular in the West?

Attached: 65202955-181D-4B45-A694-5BCAA04575AE.jpg (1180x879, 182K)

The game is perfectly fine the way it is and I'm honestly baffled how anyone could take major offense at it without just being a literal mouthbreather.

t. ranny

everyone in the united states has adhd and cannot stand turn based combat unless there SMOKIN HOT BABES TO DATE AND MAKE ME FEEL GOOD

id say kill yourself but thats inevitable anyways

Back at it again. Why were you gone for a bit?

Bad marketing, Smash Ultimate is probably the biggest spotlight the games have had in a decade

It is popular when someone actually actively gives a shit to stir some expectation towards it (DQI, DQVIII, DQIX, DQXI is shaping up to sell gangbusters too)

Attached: DQ vs Pokémon.png (1920x743, 1.21M)

That didn't stop fire emblem from being based

>DQ5 topping Japanese charts because the movie based on it fucked things up super hard
That was pretty funny.

The only franchise (period) i consider myself a fan is Dragon Quest and i can tell you why people find it boring, and that is the game play, i can spend hours and days just grinding for money or exp and never get tired of the monotonous and repetitive game play, for me is so fucking addictive.

Attached: Dx0Nc-dV4AAdWok.jpg (900x1200, 192K)

First person I see that actually is smart enough to know that the existence of minorities isn't a real problem but actually making their existence linked to a political agenda or pandering to that public is.

no minorities are a problem especially since they arent minorities anymore

So basically DQ is getting monkey pawed.

Hmmm

Every popular game series nowadays have a shit fandom, if it isn't for sjws and anti-sjws, it's shit for shady people, fetishists, furries, weeaboos and other vocal shit, simply because there's more people in it. You have the choice between having a popular series with enough people to keep it here or haven't it at all, both is impossible.

The problem with Dragon Quest is every English release since 8 has been ruined by god awful translations.

Are you telling me フリズ isn't "FRIZZ"?

Do you guys actively search for it? I havent seen anything like you described so far.

There were already some trannyera posters reeeing about this game inspiring “toxic nationalism”. And I’m here thinking comfy gameplay and boobies.

Sorry to burst your bubble brother. I personally like DQ but I'm not deluded either. It's a very linear no fun allowed and no innovation necessary series. It's literally what every JRPG would be if you stripped out any originality.

The stories are the only thing interesting about the series which is part of the reason FF did so much better in the West.

The series certainly deserves some love but it won't ever become ultra popular because it's the most barebones JRPG in the genre.

Unrealistic sales expectations. Most RPGs on the whole were pretty niche but in Japan the release of a new DQ is basically a work closing holiday. And they would rather you go in when you have death than miss work.

Well, it sure isn’t mera.

Just fucking play the game and not worry about the community like motherfuckers used to do. Some fucking twitter post said Erdrick was trans in their headcanon or whatever the fuck and instead of busting their disgusting deformed balls I ignored it like normal people do and let their mental illness slowly take them over.

Attached: 1538296078490.png (276x222, 17K)

I think the twitter crowd types may hop on DQ for one game and then get bored because it's just a bog standard adventure with the most bog standard gameplay. Now personally I'm the special kind of dork that can tell you why VII's focus on vignettes and having a home to return to make it a special game in the DQ pantheon, but no normal-fag will ever care. They need something flashier to grab onto. They tried to push the "Sugiyama is problematic" angle when XI first launched and it went nowhere while people still find shit to stir up about games like Persona 5. XI S will probably get the Switch bump, but it'll be to the continued apathy of gaming culture at large.

>& SquareEnix

You mean Nintendo. The official DQ twitter won't even tweet anything that isn't PS4 related and the official dragon quest portal and websites only mention PS4 no matter what other platforms the game is available on. Like builders 2 and Heroes 2. There's not even an XI S page yet or mention of hero in smash.

Noticed a quickly locked post on r/dragonquest that had both gendered heroes from DQ4 and the male asking "who are you?" and the female replying "I'm you but stronger."

The OP asked why the series didn't have more female characters in their thread title. When you look at their profile they have a trans flag and all their posts are about how they're a trans lesbian and how much they hate men etc. And they don't seem to have any previous posts in the Dragon Quest sub, so it gives the impression that they only found out about it after it started getting more popular and now they're already making demands.

I just don't really like that level of entitlement. It's like coming into someone's house or country and then questioning their customs and demanding that they start changing their culture to be more accommodating to your sensibilities and ideologies.

Basically what has already been happening with SJWs in gaming for the past decade or so, but it just sucks to see it start happening to a series I actually care about.

I saw some shitty 20 minute long video on why 11's music is bad and it was some dumb bimbo's callout post about how bad Sugiyama is as a person and almost nothing about the music.

DQ won’t bend for gaijins, don’t fret. Just ignore ‘em if you can.

that doesn't mean it won't get talked about. I've seen plenty of journalists who skimmed examples that were presented rather than actually experience the media first hand

I dont want to twist the conversation or imply anything but I just find funny how your post made me remember about certain anons on Yea Forums regarding indie games at least and forgetting that most of them haven't AAA money and game dev isn't as simple as it seems.

Cute armpits

I played as a female in IX. It was a cute little Krillin faced girl.

Yeah, that's some of the shit people tried to stir. I do actually remember that one because it was so ludicrously transparent. "Hey I was wondering why the music in this game is so bad and did you guys know the composer is a BIGOT!?" Like you didn't know about him already and had this video planned specifically to address that.

But that was when the game first released and none of that shit got traction. Normal-fags are so bored by Dragon Quest that they can't even muster up enough enthusiasm to get mad about a nationalistic old Japanese man who legit hates queers and denies war crimes. That's like an ala carte menu of everything that modern game journos squirt in their panties at the though of getting outraged about.

I would like some proof for that. Because it's hard to believe.

I've never played a Dragon Quest game before this latest one. I like turn based JPRGs but something about the games never really appealed to me enough to pick one up before now.

After having played about 2/3 of the way through this one, I can say it's objectively a good competent game, but pretty basic and was kinda of boring by the half way mark. Just feels like a very generic JPRG that doesn't stand out with any particularly exciting elements. I took a break on my playthrough months ago and never got back to it for lack of interest.

I enjoy turn based RPGs a lot but not too many have been interesting the last few years. I wish I could get back the excitement that something like Skies of Arcadia on Gamecube gave me. Fucking loved that game, and I can still play and enjoy it today.

And the console is not even included in the Pokémon side

It's not going to become as popular as you think.

I wouldn't worry.

>japan’s secred game
Yeah, they don’t give a shit what the west shitters say

I'm exaggerating for comedic effect, but the main things he gets called out for being a signator on an ad that ran in the Washington Post dening the use of sex slave "comfort women" during the Sino Japanese war, although to my knowledge he's never outright denied something like the Rape of Nan King which some hardline Japanese conservatives do. Then around the time XI came out he did an interview on a hard right program where he talked about there not being a need for education about LGBT topic in schools.

You could imagine that really being a controversy that people could push against Square Enix with, but it just kinda went away.

Attached: ianfu_washingtonpost_thefacts_070614 (1).jpg (1994x3425, 2.23M)

Imagine caring about twitter this much

I've never seen falseflagging this blatant, is this some gay discord operation or what

I had the exact same experience while playing DQ3 and I am someone that doesn't mind turn based, actually, I love them, say whatever you want, but I was bored with the game. In a positive note, I did find the sense of exploration and big open world charming, despite not being enough to make me stick with it

I think the series simply failed when it had the chance to stabilish itself back then. Even if it stays mostly the same in its core aspects in the long run, at least a nostalgia factor would still keep it strong here just like pokemon.

Dragon Quest is an incredibly nostalgic RPG that keeps its own tradition alive with every new installment. If you were to compare it to Final Fantasy, you'd see that FF is a series that constantly reinvents itself with each new installment. Dragon Quest, on the other hand, builds upon the foundations that it previously laid.

I think the Dragon Quest formula is fantastic for anyone who grew up with the games and played them back when their formulas were cutting edge instead of "generic/stripped down/old hat" -- You have to keep in mind that Dragon Quest did a lot of things first when it comes to JRPGs, and it's the case of one of those things that seems cliche because so many others did it after DQ did it first.

For me, nostalgia is a huge part of why I enjoy these games, but I also appreciate the charm of a more simplistic RPG that doesn't try to innovate with never-before-seen features that haven't been tried before. I find that stuff to be somewhat gimmicky and it rarely ever makes a lasting impression in my 30+ years of playing video games. For me, DQ is more like a comforting, familiar, home-cooked meal that you can look forward to coming home to.

So should I worry about translations issues and no translation at all for certain games?

I love this series so god damn much that I’ve been humming the main theme in the shower for over 15 years.

Attached: 7B021F18-B68D-4C19-B9DA-A73374605B2D.jpg (788x699, 35K)

All they need is a vaguely "problematic" screenshot

This pretty much, DQ is the epitome of "Competent, but Basic and long as fuck", in Japan it is also kinda put on a pedestal to start with due GRANDFATHER, the west doesn't really do the same because there wasn't the same cock popping the virginity because it hasn't had DQ games consistently release and provide "Starter Experiences" across "generations", instead we get a hodgepodge of FFIV Fags, FFVII Fags, FFX Fags and Golden Sun Fags and the like as the fanbases that glorify their games due MUH FIRST, and yeah, that is a a lot of FF because FF-games was actually released and marketed widely, thus was actually exposed enough to become peoples first.

And really, the localizations have been traditionally god-awful and even with the XI Switch port actually getting orchestral it still got COR BLIMEY'd and shit being what it is isn't exactly surprising. XI was definitly pushed before Smash, but let's not pretend that Smash isn't why it got a lot of popularity since the "reveal" of Hero in it.

West already had rpgs before DQ that did the same impact but here so DQ doesn't hold the same weight of influence in the west as for japan.

We see you two.

unfortunately false. I have seen the same trend. Tumblr Ted from Brainscractcomms is a perfect example of the typical communist SJW getting into Dragon Quest. These tranny faggot need to be stopped.

Attached: .jpg (407x758, 76K)

Exactly, without the "grandfather" niche in RPGs as a whole and not getting games consistently released to define the JRPG "Niche" inside the RPG genre Enix basically missed the boat on getting to define how what the west expects and getting a emotional/cultural connection to the series, one that Japan has, it wasn't the gameplay or poor sales, i feel that Earthbound having had more of a spotlight then DQ for years kinda shows that.

>niche game turns popular
>fanbase turns to shit

No shit sherlock. Only play niche games, and ensure it never gets popular.

> DQ
> Niche

It's ludicrously popular in Japan and breaking 600K sales in the west makes it one of the most popular JRPG series here as well.

I mean pretty much all Japanese people are nationalist, they just don't get shit for it cause they aren't white

lack of cuckoldry values that are a require to get sales in the US/UK market

Are the Dragon Quest games fun?

Trannys are the only thing keeping FF14 alive.

>can no longer handle playing video games with cute girls in them
I hope some day I can get a girlfriend and then it will be easier.

God I wanna blow my load in Jades womb.

Attached: FF7DD2BD-99B2-47EC-88C6-7F6796944805.jpg (575x810, 259K)

Don't worry, DQ doesn't ever listen to what western fans/""""fans"""" want.

For me its the fucking accents and constant renaming of towns and characters for no discernible reason and also not just using the fucking katakana when its perfectly acceptable as-is like why the fuck is grand cross called pearly gates? It's absolutely inexcusable.

______ SaYs TrAnS RiGhTs!!

Attached: 69289636_569857880217322_2588654253329350656_o.jpg (1920x1080, 117K)

Fuck, why doesn't this come out sooner? Still got another fucking month. It's clearly been done for awhile.

I hate this shit so much

XI is one of the best games I ever played so i would say so

Same

Attached: ed4f586cb34f9f3191e16dd572b494b0.jpg (1802x2042, 515K)

Final fantasy 1 is based, and a great game and VI was my first

Pretty sure they say it specifically because they know it gets a rise out of people, it is basically just plain bait, just like when they go "CHARACTER X IS TRANS" like they done with both Samus and Kazooie and several other FoMs of theirs at various points.

Yes, i am in fact saying they are Trolls.

You could just pirate the PC version if you are THAT thirsty, that way you can just do a second run when it actually releases with more/different Draconian Quest stuff to shake things up when you go for the Switch version.

This is of course assuming you don't already have the PC version though.

My issue is why the western localization keeps changing names and skill names to stupid shit. For example, Martina is "Jade" in the English version, and what should be "Defeat" has been "Thwack" for a while now. Makes no fucking sense. At least in XC2 they kept similar themes with the character's names, but it doesn't make any sense to change western sounding names to other western sounding names. I still hate how they changed the names in XC2, like who the fuck do they think is buying that shit? It's 110% weeaboos who've already heard chink sounding names before.
SJWfags love whining about shit like "cultural appropriation" but to me replacing certain cultural aspects in media (names, jokes, etc.) to make it more "easy to relate to" or "palatable" to an overseas audience is much more egregious. It's overwriting the original identity with memes and western cultural references which I already see spammed enough all over the tranny social media sites.
The only "localizing" that should happen with foreign media is bringing it here, but keep the translations as faithful as possible, for fuck's sake.

theres two types of localization and we got the shit kind

I have the demo but haven't played it because I'm afraid I'll finish and it can't bear the wait. I'm thinking of pirating on pc but I doubt I'll even finish by the time it comes out.

If they keep it up we'll eventually get to 4kids Pokemon level, what with calling riceballs "donuts" and all the other garbage too.

The localisation in recent DQ games is good. They add to the charm and character of the series and make it feel different to every other anime jrpg out there. I like them.

I love the Dragon Quest games but i don't understand why? is the most generic thing ever.

thinking about picking it up on switch. if i never played a DQ game before can i start with this one?

Are you fucking retarded? The japanese version of DQ is filled with puns and SFX names. Good lord I hate ignorant weebs.

>worried for the future of the series
If there's one series Westerners will never be able to do jack and shit about, it's Dragon Quest.

I think Horii blamed marketing. Back in the day, Enix didn't try to market Dragon Warrior in the west. But Square did with Final Fantasy, which is why that one became the default JRPG in the west while DQ has just remained a culture phenomenon strictly in Japan.

I personally don't enjoy Toriyama's art that much so I don't buy Dragon Quest games since I won't enjoy looking at what I'm playing.

Dragon Quest is fucking garbage so I hope they attach to your favourite series instead of [my favourite JRPG series]

Guaranteed you're one of those faggots that says "wife/wives" instead of "waifu" and genuinely thinks it's any less pathetic.
The translators should be skilled enough to come up with extremely similar puns or find already existing ones, the same for the SFX too.
Also, how the fuck am I a weeb for saying we should keep characters names the same? We don't change real life Jap's names to western ones. In the case of spell names like "Thwack", it really should be something like "Defeat" because not only does it not sound like some retard shit, it's also more descriptive of what the spell actually does.

Literally every Dragon Quest game is exactly the same, you can start literally anywhere

I am similar but I bought XI. The characters grew on me a bit and some are down right cute. The environments are pretty too.

Holy shit how low are your expectations. Dragon Quest games are 6-7/10s.

user. Social Justice types have zero power when it comes to Dragon Quest. This is the one series I can confidently say they will never ever in a million years be able to touch. Japan will sooner just say "fuck you then no Dragon Quest for you" then change it for them. If they do the Japanese fans would riot. And I mean literally riot.

Square are big enough to do the localisation in-house so I agree with you

>I just know that SJWs will make it a point of contention
They've been bitching about that since we got XI. They even went as far as saying that if it's too much to do both then it should be only a female mc.

Nah I just have highly specific tastes. I just don't have shit taste like you.

I want to MARRY Sylvando!

Attached: Sylvando hug.jpg (1600x900, 240K)

The worst case scenario is that DQ Games stop being localized because SE doesn't want to deal with stupid gaijins trying to ruin a staple, traditional franchise in Japan, because if they did, Japan would quite literally enact World War 3.

Honestly user back when the Sugiyama hate surfaced in SJW central they hardly had more than 12 people talking about it. Even now I bet it's hardly any there. We're safe. If you want insurance start learning Japanese. You need like 2 years max for Dragon Quest. Then you can skip the B.S localization time to boot too.

Attached: 10937478993.png (1191x1341, 236K)

But I like Dragon Quest so that means you have shit taste as well you fucking buffoon.

Doesn't the development lead unironically deny Japan did anything wrong in WW2 and pretty much preach whatever might be the Fourteen Words equivalent in Japan?

If so, you're exactly right.

There was some whining about puff puff.

No you don't, you're just a pathetic brain- damaged insect that's obsessed.

Why doesn't the US get all the goodies like the Japan Special Physical Editions? Should I get the Japanese one instead? Which version since I already have a Switch? I would like an extra dock though.

Furry erpers, actually. They spend money just to have characters boosted in each realm

Are you ok user?

He's the composer but yes. He's in the age group of people who deny Japan's war crimes. There's a lot more to it than that though but this ain't no history board.
Lmao that was funny as hell.
>Puff puff is sexist
>Puff puff is objectifying!

Oh and Yea Forums. Get ready for insane rage. The "male marriages" are confirmed not to be romantic. Jade and Gemma are however explicitly mentioned as marriage while the Men are not. Idk about Veronica as they didn't mention her with it yet. Anyway be prepared for hit pieces bitching about the lack of lgbtq+ romance.

Told you

It's a bit weird but I sort of want this game to stay it's current state in the West. Not niche enough to be totally unknown but not well known enough to have a major sjw infiltration in the fan base.

No longer possible due to Smash

>I've been noticing more posts on social media, forums, etc. where people are suddenly starting to question and criticize aspects of the series that have existed for decades. When you go on their profiles they have trans-flag anime avatars, "I'm gay" bios, etc. I don't find anything particularly wrong with either of those things but the types of people who make that sort of thing their identity online are kind of terrible when it comes to communicating their opinions.
You should be happy about this user. That means they don't like the game. Which means they won't buy the game in significant numbers. Oh and don't take it at face value either. They want the game to fail because SE didn't kick Sugiyama off the DQ team.

Pretty much this. Worked retail at Babbage's back in 1997 while going to Uni, and worked the day Final Fantasy VII was released. Game sold really well, sold about 80% of our stock first day. Three days later almost half of the people who bought the game came back to return it, all with the same complaint:
>"This games got too many words and no action! Gimme my money back!"
Dragon Warrior VII barely sold at all, and I left before Dragon Quest VIII (the game packaged with a demo of Final Fantasy XII just to get the game to sell) was released.

Attached: ndo5osw2gxr21.jpg (4032x3024, 802K)

>West
>ever touching DQ
Fucking lol that's never gonna happen. the nips are so crazy about DQ they were even willing to burn down square enix when they thought DQ IX was not gonna be turned based. We're safe no one is going to bother us except shitposters.

Attached: 1549246810445.gif (538x466, 152K)

Smash fags aren't the kind of fags who'd enjoy Dragon Quest. Even apparent "jrpg" fans find it archaic as you can see from their impressions online. Dragon Quest is for a very specific niche.

You know what I'm not looking forward to? Resetera celebrating Sugiyama's death when it eventually happens.

I don't know man, a lot of SJW cancer has always wormed it's way in ever so gradually into other mediums and franchises. Having a healthy amount of paranoia I think would help guarantee to keep the series free from aids. I'd rather be called a conspiracy theorist and have my games remain untainted than seeing tranny pandering characters and stories shoehorned in.

I just find that stuff funny. How they feel so morally superior to everyone else while laughing at peoples deaths.

Like we're saying user. Japan will just put their hands in the air and say
>No more Dragon Quest outside Japan
and end it before they can do any damage. The numbers they make there compared to here is way way way too different for them to bend to SJWestener's will.

based user that showers

Don't worry, it's going to flop.

Does anything really seperate the different entries in the series? I played one of them on the DS a long time ago. It had some thick brown fairy and a magic train or something. I remember it being good, but I'm not much of an RPG kinda guy.

Thinking of getting XI cause I'm kinda in the mood. Are these games all basically the same thing each entry? Same monsters and spells and story and stuff right? That's the appeal? The 'old school' elements? I can expect them same basic thing I mean?

I don't think Horii gives a shit about trannies or representation. SE can't touch DQ like they do FF unless they want to be burned to the ground by all the people of Japan.

One has monster taming. 5 maybe.

>shift from being some obscure male nerd interest to being overrun with SJWLGBTQ people
now apply this to every other game and you might actually be on to something..

Attached: Jade.jpg (1057x1500, 893K)

tranies are the cancer killing video game (((communities))).

Attached: GDQ transmutants.png (1290x725, 1.14M)

Hell, that might be a good thing. There'd be a possibility to get in-house translations instead of localization.

>People act normally aka acknowledgement of heterosexual impulses (the basis of organic life)
>freaks get mad because they are biologically excluded from that process and low status in its hierarchy
>busybodies ("activists" and reactionaries) with nothing better to do wrongly take freaks opinion seriously
>thing ruined as opportunists scramble to make money off both sides, removing SOUL from process

its all so tiresome

i love anime boobs

>Still can't fuck loli Veronica
No SJW my ass.

you're forgetting about japan OP

absolute lack of marketing

literally just reminding people that it exists and pushing hard on the fact that it's by Square to sell it would have worked wonders

You can literally marry anyone. Some people in japan actually got mad saying that Square enix was going too far to appease lgbbqt fags.

Source: yaraon-blog.com/archives/157040

Attached: 20190825192329003.jpg (600x549, 57K)

>Dragon Warrior VII barely sold at all,
DW7's first hour is strictly a walking simulator. It's pretty fucking egregious.
I truly cannot imagine it ever doing well over here, regardless of any amount of marketing.

the game is also mega fucking long

After playing the demo, I regret skipping it on the PS4. I wasn't expecting it to be so good.

Attached: 1566337062844.gif (112x112, 29K)

Because Dragon Quest is shit. Dragon Quest has always been shit, and Dragon Quest will always be shit.
It is absolute bottom of the barrel, recycled garbage that actively rejects even the slightest hint of interesting gameplay. There isn't a single redeeming quality about the games and anybody who enjoys them is genuinely autistic.

It's not marriage for men user. You travel together. Nothing romantic.
>Spread Smiles with Sylvia
>Attain Knighthood with Purplebro
>Treasure hunt with Erik

This was proven blatantly wrong by ion fury, the players threw a shit fit and they reneged on the sjw changes.

Because it was overshadowed by final fantasy + confusion over it once having a different name.

Oh, is it confirmed? Good then, fuck fags and fujoshits.

>yaraon-blog.com/archives/157040
That's just misinformaiton.
Horii specifically said when it comes to the men you live/travel together with them. Nothing romantic. They just lumped it in with "marriage" because of the wording.

Well things have obviously changed because persona is fucking huge now.

I don't care about the war crime denial or whatever but the guy was a little bitch, it will be good riddance.

Yup. That's been known since it was announced. A couple people just got confused which is fair. Horii basically said that you can marry Gemma in the original but in the enhanced version you can choose any of the party members. However when it comes to Erik, Hendrick and Sylvando you can choose to adventure with them. Horii specifically emphasizes that it's not marriage too.

Because

Sounds like we're gonna get assmad fags then.

I played and beat DQ3 a couple of months ago. It's now my like top 5 of my favorite RPGs of all time and I'm currently playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 and I'm loving it. Now I'm basically hooked in the franchise is the rest of the series and XI this fucking good?

Attached: Spooky Skelly.jpg (1500x1500, 174K)

XI is fucking great. Especially now that you've played III. Highly recommend you play V too. V is fucking amazing.

user I commend you for a well worded OP. I can tell you want to have an actual discussion. Thank you very much for that. It's very refreshing.

About your concerns. I think DQ will be fine. The majority of sells are still from Japanese fans and I really don't see that changing anytime soon. The Japanese audience comes first. Don't worry.

Now. Should I buy this game. It looks pretty good. I played and completed IX and really enjoyed it

Attached: 2aef90c85e1d498c2cdf65d0ad0a422206d01718.jpg (1254x1771, 427K)

Seeing this makes me think that the Kemet and Black Israelite dudes might be onto something when they call us crackers "cavemen".

Play III first.
Or skip it that's also fine. You will enjoy this game a lot if you liked IX.

>you can't use spotify at all while playing dqb2 on ps4
what type of fucking greedy autism is this?

It's because of the marriage mechanics alot of the games force you to play as a guy.

How do you guys deal with retarded music in these series?

No. Yes it is based skeleton user.

The only DQs you faggots ever mention are ones where you can marry a girl

Because unironically it suffers from being too vanilla. It'd also be another thing if it had a gripping story but every single DQ EVER released just tells the most run of the mill shounen bullshit ever conceived, but that's just a nitpick of mine really so not really as relevant

For me, Bravely Default is a wonderful example of doing the classic systems justice while also keeping them fresh

I love they argue that
>Lesbians exist
>FemaleV can just adopt
a female hero for V though

Attached: cutemc.jpg (800x1066, 456K)

They learn from there handlers, the devs could put there foot down and say dragon quest will stay the same and suffer the legal and financial blow back because of it. Only time will tell

Attached: Deal.png (680x962, 108K)

>A slime's a slime, user, now you've gotta frizzle my tits!

Still don't understand why they changed her name. Isn't the country in DQXI loosely base on spain? Explains the spanish names for the other characters.

Rocks. Everyone is rocks in that region.

Honestly despite being basic as fuck when it comes to the combat, I enjoyed DQXI so much more than Bravely Default which I eventually dropped during some festival thing. BD is quite uninteresting when it comes to characters and story. DQXI's story is rather simple but it gets the job done.

It has nothing to do with turn based combat, Pokemon games sell by the shitloads in there.

>The japanese version of DQ is filled with puns and SFX names

They exist, like ズッキーニャ, but not to the same degree as they do in the English versions. The Japanese versions are mostly light hearted with funny writing and dialogue too, but they don't often have stuff like Jarvis having a pun every sing fucking line. That's the problem with DQ localizers, they don't know when to stop. Adding stuff it fine, but you have to know when to draw a line. I already played the PS4 version two years ago, and the Switch version sounded great, so I tried the demo. Naturally, it's one of the few Japanese games I've played recently where Japanese text is not an option in the English version, and I tried to convince myself to get the English version since SE's just ripping the Nips off with their prices as usual, but the localization just grated on me. Hotto was absolutely godawful, so I said fucking it and pre-ordered the Gorgeous Edition.

nostalgia is one hella of a drug, it has always been like that, is just that because our generation (90's) started the trend of being over-exposed to the media that is more easy to be marketed nowadays.

Both Pokemon and DQ ride on that train hard.

Well that comes down to preference i guess

>and what should be "Defeat" has been "Thwack" for a while now

The Japanese spell names have always been odd. The way the spells are translated now are better than before as far as faithfulness goes; they're one of the better parts of the modern localizations (though they're not perfect).

>At least in XC2 they kept similar themes with the character's names

Not really. In some cases, like Pyra's they did. Mythra's was a hell of a stretch. Dromarch was completely random.

The motherfuckers Localized Yuusha as luminary (wich basically made 70% of the game a moot point), it wasn't only until the Switch demo rolled out last week that I realized that, and that Yuusha made so much sense than fucking luminary.

XI might be making the series somewhat more well-known in the west, but it's so massive in Japan that they're always going to listen to the Japanese market before the Californian one.

Dragon Quest will have puff puff and bunny suits for as long as it lives

>game has shit gameplay
>it's OK because it's a series staple

Attached: 3FC0E110-D534-4872-8805-3A66521D22F9.gif (400x480, 204K)

DQ is an extremely JP series that the west gets to taste every now and then. Nothing happening there will ever influence the development process of DQ.

Playing on hard mode DQ11 atm and I already wiped 3 times shits great and a needed challenge after playing every single DQ game where I maybe only wipe at the final boss

Attached: 1565054455629.png (854x480, 543K)

I couldn't understand why they did that either since "the Hero" is a thing in every DQ game and isn't new to the localizations.

Why aren't Turn-Based JRPGs filed as SRPGs?
it's a rhetorical question; this retard-proof subgenre has no strategy, RPing, or original writing

Attached: CC67D4EB-EF57-45A7-BF19-2557A5E4BE38.jpg (480x360, 21K)

Based Nippon poster.

Are you wiping because of your own stupidity or the RNG?

SJWs only show up if there's enough buzz about it. It happened with Warhammer as well, but a lot of the usual suspects lost interest when they figured out it was really difficult to woobify without being completely glow in the dark with your secondary status.
People have already gone "OOF YIKES YIKES YIKES EEK" about Sugiyama in the past, but you can't really cancel a person that built themselves up like he did and lives on the other side of the planet in a country that doesn't share your language or sensibilities.

Attached: 1464807726005.jpg (648x402, 51K)

KR poster but yeah. I'm not in the west anymore.

It's dumb to think US sales has ANY influence on DQ at all.

both

I run out of MP quick cause enemies just hit harder than normal and take more damage, and I rely on what little skills I have currently like the sleep dagger skill to get me through tough times

i mean im an "sjw" and im not gonna not play xi just because sugiyama loves racist war crimes
i dont know why you would defend him tho, wasnt it his dumb idea to not put the orchestral tracks in the game in the first place?
anyway its not like anybodys going to do anything other than go tsk tsk at the sexy costumes in dragon quest which everybody knows will never go away
but any excuse to be mad at women with you silly boys

Jasper

Attached: Jasper.gif (320x240, 3.51M)

>i mean im an "sjw"
The fuck you doing here then? If you're gonna roleplay don't do one that's so obviously fake.

>reeee people like what I don’t like

It's only shit to people who don't like it.

Has anyone actually tried the Slime controller?

I love the games hell I'm buying the Switch version after having bouhgt the PC version at full price but the gameplay is mediocre.

what happened to her armpits?

>On the other, I'm becoming increasingly concerned that the type of people who are getting into it are the tumblr/twitter/social justice types.

Pathetic. Find other things to occupy your mind.

DQ is straight up shit, nothing but talking with snoozefest combat. You all know i'm right.

>still trying to get a (you)
Threads dead dude move on

Attached: 1558930363449.png (512x512, 195K)

>"any excuse to be mad at women"
>"women"
It's mostly trannies and jealous hambeasts though who ever raise a stink about it. The first isn't a woman and the latter is pretty hard to classify as one too.

shit b8 I r8 1/8

Was the demo really 10 hours long? I finished in 5

it depends on how you take your time, I'm just at the Emerald coast and I'm already 6 hours in.

I got tired of dealing with shitty localizations so I just started buying all story heavy games in japanese.
>buy FE3H
>the game tests my 日本語 skills by asking me about the meaning of some obscure word
>doesn't even have the decency to let me give the correct answer

Attached: 誤謬.jpg (1280x720, 208K)

I did a lot of grinding, and finished it in 9 hours.

imagine wishing the death of a composer because he doesn't agree with your views

Usually looks like a kid's game and turn based combat which I'm happy with

neofags/resetards are a disturbing, demented bunch

Let's hope not. DQ is one of the few JRPG series that still has a firm grasp on it's balls. If they manage to onions it up then all is lost.

Christ, I can't even imagine what a onions-boy approved DQ would look like. No puffs puffs? No jiggle physics? No oddly arousing female enemies? No waifus?

>Females
>Minority
There are literally more women in the world then there are men.

>So unless nips get bluepilled (which might very well happen mind you)
I worry about this. I see more and more tranny shit in manga and anime.

What is she gonna do?

Attached: madame cherie.jpg (1920x1080, 193K)

Then who would you pick?

Attached: DQ5_4.png (889x550, 520K)

p-perish the thought user, never ever

>glasses in pocket
Tags: Tittyfuck, Oral, Anal

>Blonde Lucca
>Pretty Bulma
>Human Android 21

Is this a good game to sink a ton of time into if I have depression?

Attached: 1562140136687.jpg (2560x1440, 422K)

Yes.

>Japanese series becomes popular in the West
>Fanbase is suddenly full of trannies and SJW types

Hmm... it's almost like those degenerates come from the West, or something. What a strange and unusual coincidence.
God, Russia, China, Korea--someone please nuke us.

Why do you all waste time responding to this psyops

Japanese wives force their husbands to play DQ5 just so they can evaluate and judge their husbands tastes in video game women.

Attached: 36e61929.jpg (678x1104, 98K)

Take your meds you psycho lmao

Even with strong enemies on DQ11 is one of the easiest in the series.

I don't know. OP even defends Sugiyama, seemed obvious to me

You're a massive faggot for actually caring about any of this shit
Get a grip nigger

Attached: 1501818295455.png (374x376, 221K)

Persona is still not as big as Final Fantasy was back in the day and isn't even currently the biggest JRPG.

I get the feeling the op was just an attempt at getting enough discussion going to keep a dragon quest thread alive. I could be wrong though.

Because no amount of parody will ever be discernible from the unironic and eternal seething that is Yea Forums talking about politics. Most of the retards here don't even understand what they read, they're just programmed to respond to keywords and phrases, like npcs

We should call out an anti-lgbt Japanese nationalist.

or

How would better representation hurt a great game series and not do anything but improve it?

Answer to one of the above

Bianca = Debora > Nera

If you're going to start a thread with a shitpost don't choose a topic that's going to attract unironic incels because they'll just invade the thread and circlejerk each other. Despite none of them ever actually having played any of the games OP is trying to get a discussion going on.

Nah. They're going to bitch more about there not being a gender slider.

I recognize nearly every word in this, but I still can't tell what they're saying. Japanese grammer is hard.

Looks like resetera found this thread and is raiding it. Nice.

No Colonel Sanders, you're wrong

>N-NOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY SAFE SPACE
have sex

So you are unironically saying that OP is sincerely worried about the west influencing dragon quest in any way? When it's a game series that sells mostly in japan with only a small insignificant amount from the west? It's either bait or it's retarded. So you can pick whichever one you like.

>it's a "OP takes an almost nonexistent problem and acts dramatic over it for easy (You)s from reddit refugees" episode
Isn't there anything better on

I was quoting The Waterboy

Dragon Quest has been censored, altered, unreleased, and mistreated in western territories since the very beginning. They're still doing it by fucking up the localization in every single game they bring over now.

This is nothing new.

My bad, I've even seen that movie and I didn't recognize the quote. I've been here too fucking long. Why did adam sandler go to complete shit anyway? I don't even remember the last good movie he was in.

Is this seriously the "war-crime denier" ad? All it fucking says is "Here's some evidence that people who tried to enslave women were not authorized and were punished for it". How the fuck did this get people in a tizzy?

There no point in worrying about something you can't control.

I usually like SSFF but that video was really bad, maybe five minutes of actually explaining the fucky music rights and the rest about Sugiyama being an asshole (which he is, but that isn't worth making a video about). Grace-led videos are always the worst ones.

>trannies living so rent free in OP's head they're actively ruining his enjoyment of DQ by simply existing

This guys wife made him play DQ5 and the husband couldn't decide over who to marry over a three day period. The wife was like "this is the choice that separates a boy from a man." It's just a cute story.
>tfw no DQ playing gf
Feels bad.

Attached: 1465690607585.jpg (1280x960, 172K)

It's conveniently ignoring the overwhelming evidence pointing in favor of comfort women being a real thing and is laughably biased. Just take a look at the website it's linking to, there's an article on the front page denying Nanking.

What's wrong with the localization of the recent releases? Don't just say it's cor blimey

>A malicious monster draws near...
bros...what could it be? I'm fucking scared of the water.

There have been signs for years of western groups attempting to muscle into politics and positions in Japan for a while now, and it mirrors exactly how they gained so much power in the intervening years since FemFreq and Gamergate in the west.

It's basically inevitable a hostile takeover of Japanese culture by social marxists will happen, it's not a matter of if but when. And it will keep happening until the rest of humanity grows a spine and does what needs to be done to stomp it out before it's too late.

can't wait to play this and fuck martina in the ass on our honey moon

Problem is the whiners are those with influence and push. They control the media and he who controls the media controls the narrative.

time to buy a switch

They can try but let me ask you a simple question.
Who's worth pissing off forever, from a Japanese company making a game that is a cultural phenomenon AND a huge part of Japan in general.
>A few pissy tranny fucks
>The entire Japanese population including children and salary men not just otaku.
S-E would rather die in a hellfire than destroy Dragon Quest. Destroying DQ would probably forever make Japan xenophobic to all gaijin.

GAMERS RISE UP!!! THOSE SJWS WONT WIN WHILE WE STILL HAVE OUR PEPE THE FROG AND WOJACK IMAGES!

If they just walked up behind every feminist and SJW and stabbed them in the heart none of this would be happening.

Imagine unleashing your load into Veronica's physically underage cunny.

or alternatively we could just ignore the whiners. We'd have to kill the internet or get all normalfags off it though, since the internet gave these fucks a platform.

Japan still refuses to give a fuck what the west thinks unless they have a huge western audience.

You kidding man? Maybe like 85% of jrpgs are extremely easy to get into and follow.
If you're talking about attention spans, you're probably right, but JRPGs are typically so simple that a person could easily just play one in the background while doing whatever other shit, so even if they just barely get the broad strokes of the story, they can still say they beat it and know the basic plot.
Not even trying to slag off jrpgs, I like them, but they are one of the easiest genres to just pick up and get into, on multiple levels.

Detransition and find a better way to live your life.

I waited for the Switch version to come out to play this, is that the best version? Would a person totally new to the series be satisfied with the PC version?

it's fucking weird, before Smash DQ was just "that one series" and now I see it literally everywhere.

Smash magic is fucking real holy shit.
Puyo Puyo next please Mr. Sakurai

>How would better representation hurt a great game series and not do anything but improve it?
Japan has final say and little boys and salary men don't give a fuck about trannies and fags.

Doesn't DQ also come with furigana so it's not nearly as big an issue as say a chuuni heavy game that uses all manner of obscure kanji readings?

>nothing wrong with being gay
>trashes people who identify as being gay

Wot. I get what you mean but twitter descriptions are descriptions of yourself. Would you be against someone who says they are a fan of this game in their bio? Its the same thing. You seem a little scared of loosing your "obscure game" when its actually a pretty popular IP in Japan and the west.

Bottom line if you're gonna make an argument don't contradict yourself by saying something like "im okay with new fans just not those fans" its one or the other. Either accept new perspectives or don't.

The central figures in Dragon Quest are old school die hard ultra conservatives. Both the director and the composer. That's absolutely never going to happen as long as they continue in charge of the series or the studio.

So I've just started the demo on switch, and what's the point of being able to move around the battlefield?

literally just for fun. its not necessary and has no effect on the fight.

It's just a Merman/Merking variant but they KO you pretty effortlessly. You can beat them more easily with a poison needle, which is OP through 75% of the game.

I'm a literal fag and I've been a fan of DQ for years, Sugiyama is almost 100years old who cares if he hates me and other fags, his work on DQ11 was garabage anyway

Dude, they're in almost every game fandom now. The good news is most Japanese game companies don't care about sjw crap. It fucking sucks, I know, Persona 5 let in a lot of cancer into the SMT series, but the best thing you can do is ride it out and not be part of it. Trends come and go after all

>The good news is most Japanese game companies don't care about sjw crap
That or they've been actively antagonized by these fucks and called an array of words that would make them sound like the fat ugly bastard in doujins when they're actually mid 20's-30's women.

Bay area dipshits have been a thorn in the side of the DQ fanbase in more ways than just the pee pee politics trender morons.

Attached: announce-ds-e[1].png (512x384, 43K)

>If they just walked up behind every feminist and SJW and stabbed them in the heart none of this would be happening.

If you're not about to throw your life away trying that, don't expect anyone else to.

Considering how shallow the marriage was in XI, shitting one out for a female MC wouldn't have been that much of a problem.
Especially now with the Switch version where you have events for everybody, even the male characters.

>Persona 5 let in a lot of cancer into the SMT series
P5 is actively anti gay though

I think he's referring to the huge popularity boost P5 brought in.

Remember that one town where everyone speaks in Haiku?
That's a translation only thing.
Remember all the dialects?
Again, a translation only thing.
Remember Sylvando?
His name is Sylvia.

It'll always be funny to me how games like P4 and P5 that are all about being true to yourself and not giving a shit about society's opinion hates the shit out of faggots

I thought the reason why DQ11 was a hit in the west for ps4 was due to some SJW shit that was meant to hurt the series but had the opposite effect.

Waiting for people to get to the stereotypical gay accents.

except this same thing happened to persona when joker got in smash and p5r isn't catering at all

So what’s the difference between the PS4 and the new Switch version?

Those are good things, though. I love it whenever a translation adds flavor or embellishes character dialogue/nuances to make things more expressive and vibrant. I can understand why translations that take plenty of liberties might upset people, but some of my favorite localizations are with scripts that add plenty of twists and color into the text, like Earthbound or War of the Lions. English is such a detail-oriented language in general, and I don't think Dragon Quest would be even half the game it is in the West if they didn't turn Yangus into the bumpkin that he is, or turn the spell names into something a little more whimsical and individualistic.

>It'd also be another thing if it had a gripping story but every single DQ EVER released just tells the most run of the mill shounen bullshit ever conceived,

The West is not used to try to understand nuance and appreciate subtle storytelling in video games, that's why DQ is unpopular here.

or maybe it's just because dq games are fucking boring

you're boring

They don't need to play anything. They never play or buy anything and they still bitch and moan

If i had the money, i would buy that DQ switch since its also the one with the better battery life. But I'll have to deal with the shitty one i have