>2019
>everyone owns a mobile device
>the only playable games are emulators, games from 1999-2005 (mostly just pokemon)
where did "mobile gaming" go so wrong?

Attached: mobilecel.png (881x593, 614K)

Women

Touch screens fucking suck for controlling games.

Can't do anything with touchscreen and it's waste of money to make a game for those 2 people who use controllers on phone

Remember that strange couple of years when AAA gaming was trying to move in on the mobile scene? Shit like Deux Ex The Fall came out.

arent like majority of the phone users women and children anyway?

fuckin shut up dude

inb4 muh gacha muh jrpg

As soon as they tried to move away from Snake/Space Impact/Tetris Clones and stuff that you need more than 1 or 2 buttons to play. Controls on a touch screen suck ass for everything that needs reflexes and precision. The games that don't (RPGs/gachashit/puzzles/runners etc) are riddled with micro-transaction cancer and stupid limited playtime unless you shell out some dough. TL;DR mobile "games" can suck a fat one. Not to mention that smartphones are so shittily built that they rarely spend more than two years without slowing down.

When companies realised some retards would put hundreds of dollars into microtransactions on shitty P2W games. Literally look at Clash Royale

no buttons, triggers, d-pads or analog sticks really limits the type of games you can make for smartphones. not to mention their abysmal battery life.
another problem is that the whole mobile gaming audience was created by deceptively cheap shit like words with friends, doodle jump, and angry birds, and has since morphed into the mobile gacha shit we see today. this audience would never pay $60 for a real game on their phones, and they're too stupid/addicted to notice how all the money they're blowing on anime pngs adds up to a lot more than $60.

There are tons of "games" on mobile devices. The thing is they fill the specific niche needed when gaming on a phone. The fact of the matter is most people arent going to have a serious gaming session on their phone. Also a touch screen is a shit tier control method for most games.

>Touch screen controls allow only like 3 types of motions with precision (swipes, touches and holds)
>Most devs don't bother to compensate to the touchscreen's weaknesses, so we get shitty unresponsive on-screen buttons and "style over substance" single-button trash
>Smartphones are far more popular with the younger crowd, so retro/pixel graphics that would usually go well on PCs have a much smaller audience - this coupled with the smaller budget for these games reinforce the "style over substance" issue even further
>Mobile gaming is very accesible, so catering to the masses is always the easiest strategy for bigger companies
>Since the masses are dumb as bricks, quality control goes to shit, while exploitative tactics become the norm and money is sunk on the ads instead
>Since the preference is always to go for a wider audience and there's already so much competition on the mobile market, F2P with microtransactions is always the preferred option to get as much people playing as possible, which often leads to degenerate P2W tactics
>And finally, while there's always the possibility for indie devs to make great games, the current App Stores are grossly incompetent on filtering out the infinite flood of trash games, so finding them is near impossible

There ARE good games on Mobile - emphasis on "good", it's nothing compared to PC/console experiences - but they aren't as successful as the mainstream trash, so why would anyone bother making them?

Attached: 1532443599334.gif (252x263, 2.99M)

>masses are dumb
>they can't into something without pretty pictures
Case in point.

Why would you even want to play a phone game? Let's say you are at work or break. 30 minutes or an hour right?

If you really wanted to play a game on the go you'd have a switch, vita, or laptop with you

Tried too hard to be console games.
Shit should have stayed at tower defense and nethack levels.
New gundam game proves you shouldn't try to put a consolish game on mobile because it melts most phones

>(mostly just pokemon)
fucking normalfags

>they rarely spend more than two years without slowing down
Factory reset?

kek only guy that called it out

What's the point of $1000 phones, Yea Forums

controller grips exist you know. You could make it so one is required for your game and everyone would buy them encouraging more games to be played that way

Mogging
Whipping it out in front of a girl when an incel has a shitty android with green bubbles

>mandatory accessories to play a game
Nigga even the Kinect and Move didn't catch on, and those were made by multimillion dollar companies and marketed aggressively on retail and in their own digital platforms. Why do you think a single nobody game comp would be able to sell this idea on fucking Google Play of all places?

no input methods aside from sausage finger interactions

Factory reset won't fix hardware degradation due to awful thermals.

>Implying a camera or motion control are in any way similar to a cheap dongle that gives you more buttons to use for gaming

Nintendo was able to do with with its pro controllers. Hell retards even bought extra joycons. I bet if enough games utilized it it'd be a staple

When you have such a huge market, selling a "real" game and getting 1 million sales is basically a waste of money compared to getting 50 million downloads and few thousand whales on a "game" that cost a fraction to produce.
I predict this is exactly what's gonna happen if/when streaming takes over, the market will expand by a thousand fold and the games market as we knew it for the last 4 decades will shrink and shrink as companies cut funding and staff (see Konami) until it's gone completely.

As someone who has neither phone why is the iphone still king? Looking at both the Samsung phones are now even more asthetically pleasing than Iphones. And thats not touching on the objectively superior hardware in samsungs phones.

My emulators won't lock me out because it didn't sell enough gems this week

>everyone owns a mobile device
right there
if something is mainstream or used by the majority of people, it will naturally become shit

>phone why is the iphone still king?
its not
only rich 1st worlders use them because they're idiots and want to show off their ability to waste money

Well thats what i meant. Like among most normies in the US. Because thats another thing, as far as wasting money isnt Samsung just as expensive?

their flagships (galaxy s or note) are, but they also have budget phones or devices, unlike apple

What's a shame is there are plenty of genres that would actually work great with touch screens, but the raped market model for mobile games makes it impossible for a decent game to exist. Casual stuff like Sims, city builders, Animal Crossing, Dating sims would all work on a phone, but every game available right now is shit. Animal Crossing is a perfect example of a good game turning to shit the moment it touches a phone. It would've been possible to get something like New Leaf working well with a touch screen, but instead we got that shit camp game. I can emulate Love Plus on my phone, and it works excellently, but nobody would waste money making a decent dating sim like it for phones

Galaxy S and Note are the most expensive ones, especially the Note, but they still offer a lot of cheaper options and buying older models is still a good options.

Okay yeah the Galaxy S is the phone i was thinking of. But like i said, why isnt it more popular? It looks just as asthetically pleasing as the Iphone (more so probably in my opinion). Has objectively better hardware. And has a similar pricetag for people who think price=quality. Is Apples phone OS really that much better?

i ask because I think i am finally gonna take the plunge and get a smartphone

Attached: 7417201.jpg (1071x806, 195K)

>Developing an actual game costs a lot and people will at best spend something like 15-20 shekels for it
>Developing some waifu bait gacha costs you a couple thosand for pics and 10kg rice for a pajeet who cobbles everything together in java over the course of a month. Individual customers will happily spend thousands on this.

Nintendo was able to sell fucking cardboard. Your point?

Yep

>But like i said, why isnt it more popular?

But it is popular, is the most popular option for Android devices, but the iPhone is more popular simply because of brand loyalty and idiots thinking Apple = Better at Everything.

>Is Apples phone OS really that much better?
Not really, the iOS is perfect for people who have been using iPhone for a long time, everything is exactly the same as in older models but with more bells and whistles to trick people into buying a new phone every single year. Also, as soon as a new phone is released, updates to old OS's make the phones work slower with the excuse that is to "save battery". Officially declared by Apple.

It is more popular. At least here and in other developing countries where people care more about what they pay for, instead of how well they are seen in the eyes of others.

Apple puts great emphasis on marketing and most of their customers are americans (which have the biggest mouths to promote their phones even more).

Excellent post, exactly what I wanted to write but don’t have to now. There’s just too many factors working against making proper games there, far easier to nickle and dime masses with no taste and dumb whales. Mobile game market really embodies all the worst things about game industry, but I really can’t hate the devs for it, but the fools who enable it.

Attached: 6830BBBC-2258-4F3E-9BF2-6D0CB41AD22C.png (221x318, 15K)