Hey Yea Forums whats your thoughts on the yakuza games?

hey Yea Forums whats your thoughts on the yakuza games?

Attached: yakuza kiryu smoke.jpg (300x420, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RXBIWUzRg2M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shit humor compared to No More Heroes and Devil May Cry. Too much cinematics, gameplay is shallow. Overall: Overrated

good shit

travis is a fucking beast, but I could never get into the devil may cry games. I guess I dont like technical fighting games.

They are the best if u have yellow fever

I think RPCS3 is horribly optimized for them, especially 5.

this. yakuza is just reddit normalfag trash

It would be nice if they were made into good movies. One of them was made into a bad movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=RXBIWUzRg2M

Love it to fucking death, been playing it since it was called Ryu GA gotoku for ps2 and it was fully Japanese, because it was the spiritual sucessor to shenmue. Shenmue 1 is still my favorite game all time and it will be until I die.

how is it normal fag trash?

>samefagging this hard
Sad.

Yeah compare it to forza motosport next, what a retarded take major cringe

I honestly just feel like yakuza is a better version of shenmue, like shenmue without all the boring shit and a better story.

They're very different, shenmue simulates the routine of every citizen in the city and you can talk to every single person you see. The combat in yakuza is much better but I love how similar shenmues combat is to virtua fighter in some ways.

Funny, I feel like Yakuza is just knockoff Shenmue with strictly less interesting stories and worse atmosphere as a trade off for better (but still mediocre) combat.

best mahjong mini-game on the market

they're shit

Shenmue story is very personal and comfy, yakuza story is a homage to 90's and 00's yakuza movies. Again they're totally different. They're similar on being extremely authentic Japanese experiences and open worlds.

First time you play one is a magical (albeit not flawless by any means) experience but then you play more of the franchise and realise that they just recycle the same stuff over and over, even the plots are basically recycled from game to game, with the new casts just being rehashes of earlier casts. It's genuinely really hard to believe that the same devs made Binary Domain on the side while working on Yakuza 5.

love em

They're fucking great.

no webm?
is he asleep?

The bomb being a fake in 2 sums up perfectly why the writing in these games is terrible. Nothing ever actually matters or has consequence. Things happen just to have a melodramatic scene which ten minutes later doesn't even matter anymore. Kaz can be stabbed and left to die and then be back on his feet and fine 2 minutes later. These games are full of this shit. It's not even "twists" because that would mean things would have to be foreshadowed or at least still have consequence. But literally everything that you think is happening can be undone at any moment. RUBBER BULLETS is the most extreme example but the games are full of this garbage. It only annoys me because when people point out how shit the gameplay is they defend the games by saying "you idiot, you play for the story" but that makes no sense when they're written so badly.

>Try other mahjong games.
>Framerate is absolutely terrible.
>Turns take an eternity before they get back to you.
>Some special effects that take twice as long as some of the ones dedicated just to you except everyone can do them when they call Ron or Tsumo.
>AI is clearly cheating by double riichi every other game or just pulling Hanemans out of his ass.
Can they just package the Yakuza mahjong minigame as its own separate game with more table and tile variants, fixed AI difficulty so they don't blatantly cheat, along with Chinese Mahjong and Wareme rulesets? I'm still trying to find a good one that doesn't cost $40 and isn't on mobile phones or PC. Switch has like three or four of them and none of them are worth it.

Attached: All proceeds will be donated to the production of more trendy Ono shirts.webm (1280x720, 2.72M)

2 is one of the best games ever made. that is all

Attached: 1446300098252.jpg (1000x600, 332K)

I unironically get really annoyed at the thought that people on Yea Forums might be criticizing the Yakuza games. I'm here every day and keep an eye on any Yakuza thread to make sure nobody is saying anything bad about them.

Hello, I am Yea Forums.
It’s pretty good.

I used to love them after getting 1 in 07' but my patience for them began to dwindle. I think the near constant releases since 0 has put a burnout on me and you begin to REALLY feel the cinematic lengths after you sit through your second game in less than 6 months.

shit but mindless fun

I'm with you guys. Yes the Yakuza games are piss easy with literally no challenge and a plot that favors melodrama over good writing, but that's how they are. If you want good combat and story, look elsewhere. Fuck these newfags who want to change the games to suit them.

Got platinum in 0, almost do it in Kiwami and Kiwami 2 but then I'm burned out emotionally. Also bought on sales 4, 5 and Dead Souls. I think I need a rest from the game cause it feels like i'lm playing one fucking game for 500 hours.

I played 1 through 4 as they came out, lost interest after Sega made us wait 3 years then shit out Y5 as a digital only release out west. Finally modded my PS3 recently, might give it a go. I liked 2 the best but have some fond memories of the 1 game because of the cool voice acting. 3 was a complete drag to play through.

Attached: mvao500.gif (348x233, 1.93M)

Still love the games, but hate the threads.

Attached: YAKUZA 3_20190822200814.png (1920x1080, 3.19M)

I was interested in this series until I saw what a joke the combat was. Embarrassing garbage. How many of these games are there so far?

>I think the near constant releases since 0 has put a burnout on me and you begin to REALLY feel the cinematic lengths after you sit through your second game in less than 6 months.
Why in the world are you bothering with the remakes when you already played the originals? No wonder you're burning out.

Threads were good until 0

>Still love the games, but hate the threads.
This. Yakuza threads now are so fucking tiresome. It's people pretending to be elitist to piss off newfags, and people pretending to be newfags to piss off elitists. I can hardly even tell when I'm reading a genuine opinion anymore.

>newfags
All the complaints you mentioned have been acknowledged by people in Yakuza threads since before 5 came out and it was just the same half-dozen anons regurgitating the same shit every thread, presumably before you were in these threads.

>Yes the Yakuza games are piss easy with literally no challenge
Outside the Kiwami 2 system, shit has been consistently tough on higher difficulties.

play Mahjong Soul

lolwut

wait you mean all the complaints are valid?

you are. they're all the same. literally assetflips. each "new game" is basically free timesink DLC to throw hundreds more hours into but they charge for it

I think ROLLING EYES FALL

Just started this today.
It's not good, but I keep playing it.

Attached: fist-of-the-north-star-1131561.jpg (665x374, 51K)

Zero was fun. Kiwami is a nightmare for you and the MC. I'm scared to play Kiwami 2. Moonspeak not strong enough yet to play Ishin and I refuse to soil it with a guide.

Damn, did anyone else get a boner from Haruka's bikini outfit in 3? That's some prime JC.

I just want something handheld like on the Switch or Vita, I don't want a browser or mobile game. I already know of Mahjong Soul considering all the threads months ago. I know Vita has a couple anime ones but from what I saw they're story-driven and have really long ron and tsumo animations, Switch's are either really terribly done like Japanese Mah-jongg, Simple Mahjong Online looks okay but it needs a Japanese account and the turns still look a bit long, and then there's that one ecchi mahjong port that looks somewhat slow as well. PS4 has the lesbian anime mahjong but I believe I recall that one being pretty slow on the turn rotation, and there was Simple Mahjong by the D3 Publisher guys which does look like the one worth it out of all the console ones I saw but it's PS4 so it's not handheld.

Not a handheld game, but FFXIV has a good mahjong client.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1280x720, 237K)

WE NEED MORE MAHJONG GAMES! PLS JAPAN THE MARKET IS STARVED.
By the way I'm not sure how you or anyone else for that matter still hasn't jumped ship from Yakuza Yea Forumseddit threads. It's basically half a dozen autists samefagging shit out of a txt.

Attached: 33007401.jpg (850x1200, 267K)

>I can hardly even tell when I'm reading a genuine opinion anymore.
That's just the internet now.

Ishin has a chance of getting released to the west eventually, but even then there's already a group of fans at work translating the PS3 version at least.

You'll get it after I get my Karaoke standalone game.

Hopefully someone localizes some more for cheap considering sudoku and picross are getting tons of games (I know they're not as niche). I mean, there's mahjong in BP2 but it's pretty barebones and while the turn speed is pretty quick it feels like it's missing some of the UI improvements from later games. Vita mahjong games seem like the best thing to go for if you don't want to deal with the hassle of making a JP account and getting prepaid codes for it on the Switch, but man are they expensive. It's not hard to play it in Japanese either so a language barrier is a non-issue.
>still hasn't jumped ship
There's still some people who are actually playing the games and want some help with stuff, the guy behind the Kenzan patch still lurks around here, and there's still people who want to discuss stuff like one guy who was talking about 5 a couple days ago or the new people playing 3.

Karaoke game first, screw the mahjong if we can get standalone karaoke.

Attached: snap038.png (480x272, 54K)

I thought it was a good Yakuza spinoff. Best FOTNS game though.

I haven't played them, but I hear they're pretty enjoyable.

I mean, it's better than Dead Souls for sure, but it certainly feels like a budget title. That said though I keep playing it so I must be enjoying it to some degree.

Its grindy but arguably has the most depth of a Yakuza game. its still the most fun to play IMO.

Zero is a good place to start, and is starting to get really cheap during sales.
I saw it go for 10 bucks in the last steam sale.

I've only played the remake of the first one and I thought it was fun. Better than a lot of the boring open world games that come out nowadays at least.

don't listen to this faggot
play in release order like a normal adult

Don't listen to this guy, always go original release order when getting into a new series so you can have the same unbiased experience.

yeahhhh, fist of the north star is kinda bad. I never watched the anime but yeah.

nah yakuza 1 on the ps2 plays like shit

Socially acceptable Dynasty Warriors. If you've played one of them you've played them all.

The boss fights are really the best part about it and if you upgrade the buggy enough the racing can be okay even if it controls like ass. I wish it had more unique content but overall it's okay. Cabaret was pretty good as well in terms of difficulty since they ramped it up, I lost a bunch of the ones at times.

Attached: Fist of the North Star_ Lost Paradise_20181015024429.jpg (1920x1080, 1.36M)

Started with 0 because It was gifted to me on steam, it also actually runs at 60 FPS no problem compared to the weird issues I'm having trying to emulate the first one.

I didn't know a lot about the series but I found a pretty entertaining fusion of JRPG sidequesting and beat em up, I like it, and it makes me want to play the kiwamis and the rest of the series when they (presumably) get ported to PC.
Though overworld encounters outside of Mr. Shakedown are too easy even on hard, not sure if this is the kind of game that gives me more money at higher difficulties.

Attached: yakuza0.jpg (1280x720, 125K)

haven't played any but i want to start at either 1 or kiwami and you people keep complaining about cut content or to start at 0, which is a game that was released after like 5 or 6 mainline entries, so for now i won't bother until i have some more space in my backlog

>i want to start at either 1 or kiwami
>to start at 0, which is a game that was released after like 5 or 6 mainline entries
Well Kiwami was released after even more mainline entries than 0, so if that's your argument then start with 1.

no it doesn't you dumb zoomer

but that's different because it's a remake of the first game, while 0 is an entirely new game

It's not different. Kiwami contains many references to 0 and outright expects you to have played it beforehand. If your concern about starting with 0 is that it contains references to previous entries, then you definitely shouldn't start with Kiwami since it's even worse in that regard.

>not sure if this is the kind of game that gives me more money at higher difficulties.
You don't, Shakedown just gives a lot and the further into any of the games you get the more currency/rare items the enemies start dropping.

Don't use Kiwami as a replacement for 1 if you're going to start out with 1 first. You either start with PS2 1 or 0, Kiwami is expecting you to be coming off of 0 because of new Nishiki scenes, substories continuing substories from 0 (Which aren't canon because 6 ignores any of the continuations Kiwami did), Majima has some story continuations from 0 like with Komaki, and there's a few references to 0 outside of all this. Despite being a remake it doesn't expect you to play it as a replacement, it expects you to play it as a sequel.

Kiwami has more in common with 0 than 1.

so it's a remake of 1 but it's more like a sequel to 0, and it also continues substories from 0 but they aren't actually canon? the fuck is the point then? it's just the first game with references

the point of it is to let people without a ps2 experience the story

but you can emulate the first one

>the fuck is the point then?
To give people without a PS2 a chance to play 1 while updating it to modern standards because 1 was their first outing with the entire formula. You can still play it first if you want, but understand it's going to do stuff with the expectation you already played 0.

Attached: YAKUZA KIWAMI_20180207164524.jpg (1920x1080, 471K)

not everyone cares enough to emulate. The first also has a ton of jank that most people nowadays don't wanna deal with.

Never really cared about them so I haven't played a single one yet, but that ESA run last month got me interested. Don't even know where to start with though.

retard

I fucking hate them and i hate Yea Forums for memeing me into buying Yakuza 0.

>Don't even know where to start with though.
Either 1 on PS2 or 0 on PS4 or PC. You could also give 4 a go if you want since it's basically a new starting place with multiple new characters, but a certain boss fight will fly over your head when it's more of a "Holy crap this is awesome" moment.

I wish they would've brought over that HD Collection. It would've been one of the crown jewels of my Wii U library.

After playing Yakuza 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, and Yakuza 6 I’m really burnt out from the franchise as a whole as well as Kamurocho, part of the reason why I’m giving Judgment a pass because it’s using 95% of the same assets. Shin Yakuza is also apparently in Kamurocho, which is slightly disappointing. I really hope they can come up with some new gameplay elements or mechanics to mix things up, I love these games to death but I feel like I’m playing extended DLCs.

>jumping from 2 to 6

Attached: WHAT IN THE GODDAMN.jpg (368x263, 36K)

it's bait

You can blame Sega for thinking 1) taking so long to release the collection, 2) for making Y3 PS3 physical exclusive, 3)making Y5 digital exclusive in the west
It's no wonder some skipped some of the games. More when Zero and 6 were highly market compared to any of the previous games