Games to run on a potato? (lenovo x220)

i can't seem to find many fun games that run well and don't make my cpu ramp up to fucking 90 degrees Celsius.

I can only run java minecraft at like 30fps on pretty much minimum settings, win10 MC runs well enough but my fan still goes on a sperg and sounds like a helicopter.

So any decent games to run on a potato besides games like red alert, Civ etc? I have i5 2520m 8gb ram 250gb ssd.

Attached: maxresdefault (3).jpg (1280x720, 99K)

Doom with WADs
Half-Life with mods

Stop being a retarded zoomer and play any number of older games.

I have the same laptop and can run ps3 games on pc very well. I dont mean the emulator, I mean ps3 ported games over pc.
Since it cannot run dx11 games since it has intel graphics you can play anything not that old.
Like Bayonetta , dmc4 , re5, et

thanks will check em out. still starting to think I might just upgrade to a thinkpad with some sort of dedicated graphics.

Pso ephinea.

You’re welcome

No worries. You can play a decent chunk of games, just be sure they run on dx10 instead of dx11.

Old emulators. Pretty much any game before 2010. But keep in mind PC games during that era will run into compatibility issues. Low end indie stuff. My suggestions:
>Space Station 13
>SCP Containment Breach
>Doom, Quake
>System Shock 1 and 2
>Deus ex
>Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 pc port
>Phantasy Star Online (Ephinea servers)
>Half Life 1 and 2
>Fallout 1 and 2
>*maybe* Fallout 3 and New Vegas at 720p low settings. Cap the framerate to 30.

Also Dark Souls.

Will try those, i've tried fallout 3 & new vegas and they don't seem to like my laptop haha.

repaste your cpu you fool
oblivion, VTMB works good on it

I might have to, just don't like how annoying it is to do with the x220, it was like 5 screws on my old T series thinkpad.

trust me, it's still alot better than most of the other consumer-grade laptops. I still have PTSD from repasting my old HP laptop which took me around 3 hours when I was first doing it

Play the Ys games, specifically 1+2/Oath/Origin. Super toaster friendly

Just play good old games. There are so many of them. Or indies. There'are plenty of great indies that should run on a toaster.

Buy a Ryzen next time.

Outside of the traditional classic games and indieshit that have already been recommended, I have a Thinkpad T400 with a 2.26GHz C2D and a 256MB HD3470 and all of these run on it:

Ducktales Remastered
First gen Source Engine games
Outrun 2006
Dead Space
Edge
Q3 Engine games (Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, actual Q3, etc)
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Sonic Mania
X-Blades
Aquaria

Your i5 is a bit better than my CPU, and the Intel HD Graphics 3000 you have should be able to play anything my 3470 can run unless it needs a ton of VRAM (a ton being a relative term here).

Also repaste your CPU you faggalor

W530 master race here.
Get the W pill.

>HD3470
Damn, the first graphics card I ever bought to game on a prebuilt

Been thinking about it actually.

Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Thief 1&2

lol

Attached: quadro for games lul.png (1089x750, 223K)

But do those come in cheap thinkpads? Sub $750nzd/$480usd

Quadro is dogshit, but it beats an iGPU any day

check out this masterpiece

Attached: toa.png (1263x699, 1.32M)

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

gothic, just play gothic.

Yeah, it beats any Intel HD one. Not the AMD Vega though.

They do, you can either get a used 4 year old Intel shit with terrible GPU perfomance one or shill out another $100 for one that's actually recent, faster and new.

Attached: only way togo.png (1183x599, 336K)

>urka slave encounters
>warlock encounters
>becoming a """queen"""

absolutely fucking based, can't wait for more updates

Attached: Dylb-PUX0AA0UB3.jpg (1182x1080, 185K)

ds1 chugs even on modern computers

Except the pictured laptop is $1050nzd/$690usd.
that's $300nzd more lol.

Thief 1&2
Arx Fatalis
System Shock 1&2
Fallout 1&2
Deus Ex
Gothic 1&2
Darkest Dungeon
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

I play Rimworld on mine all the time.
Star sector runs pretty well.
Most older games work no problem.

Anno 1602
Openttd
FTL

Attached: 48.jpg (1280x1804, 352K)

don't use lenovo

but why? Had my thinkpad for 8 years, it's been through everything, even got hit by a metal pole being thrown at it. only got a few scratches.

Is the e495 worth it with student discount? I'm looking for a laptop for around 650€ that can handle school stuff and basic cad for engineering.

Attached: 1566689125481.png (850x800, 336K)

Not OP, but my main problem seems to be i have a laptop with both integrated graphics and dedicated, and it seems choppy. Is there a way to just make it only use the dedicated at all times, or is this a bad idea

It's the cheapest Ryzen from Lenovo, so yeah.

Keep in mind:
No keyboard backlight
No fingerprint
One 8 GB stick of RAM which slows the processor and igpu down, since no dual channel RAM.

Other than that, it's a good machine with enough power.

>openttd

My fucking brother.

>Is there a way to just make it only use the dedicated at all times
Yeah, but your battery life will suffer.

>cpu ramp up to fucking 90 degrees Celsius.
Nigga replace your thermal paste, use a laptop fan and adjust your power settings.

I have almost similar specs i5-5200u, nVidia 940m and I don't let games reach 80c.
It limits the games that I play but it's not like there's a shortage of good old games to play and replay.

>almost similiar
lol

i only use charger so i dont really care

>everyone's been asking for a 4:3 aspect ratio thinkpad for ages
>have a shitton of vertical space left over on the cover
>still a 16:9 screen

Fucking dumbfucks at lenovo.

>a few neckbeards have been asking for a 4:3 aspect ratio thinkpad for ages
fixed that for you

But neckbeards are literally the only ones buying thinkpad.

Who else would want a fat, ugly, "rugged" laptop instead of a super think aluminium macbook?

mount & blade warband

you can get 8th gen i5 + mx250 laptops for that much

Not from Lenovo though, retard.
You don't get that premium feel then

>non-IBM chinkpad
>premium
lol

>tfw repasting both CPU and GPU are easy as hell in my ASUS GL553VD
:')

One single alot of ram? I thought there are two ram slots with only one in use when bought in base config

Use nvidia inspector. AA_MODE_REPLAY_MODE_ALL. lod bias 0x00000078. Create a custom resolution of 960x540.

You'll be able to run 99% of games.
the lod bias will create some issues, might have to lower it if it's too bad.

Just checked: there are two ram slots so upgrading it to dual channel is possible

>90c
you are like a little baby. I turned my computer on 30 minutes ago and I've only been browsing Yea Forums.

Attached: 75355.png (296x62, 2K)

Sorta related, is gayman laptops worth it this day in ages?I only need something to last me 2 or so years.

no, just build a small form factor pc

is this the true power of AMD?

Used to have an x220 myself
Mount and blade should work on it

Use cloud gaming like shadow

OP I can give you some of my personal experiences with an old, even shittier, PC of mine(a fucking sempron 3000 and a 9600GT with a glued together power cable):
Max Payne 1 and 2
GTA San Andreas,Vice City and III, SA modded with SkyGfx and SillentPatch ran good
The Dawn of War series
Half Life 1 and 2
Doom 1/2, Blood, Duke 3d, Ion Fury is worth trying out too
Warcraft 3 and TFT
Rise of Nations Gold Edition(not the enhanced version)
Project IGI
Soldier of Fortune 1 and 2
Medal of Honor Allied Assault and its expansions
Older Need for Speed games probably
F.E.A.R. at the lowest settings was sort of playable
Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights
The original Resident Evil 4 on PC, shit port but it worked OK
SNES and PSX emulation worked good for me.
My experience with potato gaming.

See this girl? She's your friend!

Most stuff on GOG runs fine on potatoes and toasters, excepting more recent games of course.
As well, many indie games work well on weaker computers too. Indies and Old games have been my main games on my Elitebook 8460p, and I've honestly been fine with that.

Attached: IMG_20190412_165925.jpg (630x890, 102K)

Fuck, forgot to mention Deus Ex and VTMB, those run and look good too.

keep in mind the x220 is also a fucking tiny notebook with not really any cooling designed for business shit and not gaming or cad stuff.

>tfw ASUS i7-6700 Nvidia 960m
>Abused the absolute fuck out of it
>Dropped it on concrete
>Spilled stuff on the MB
>Still runs perfectly fine without a single problem

I dunno why people shit on ASUS. This thing is the best gaming device I've ever owned. I've yet to run into a game it won't run either. Sekiro did get a little choppy though.

Taiwan stuff appears to be made to be treated like shit

bump

The true power of AMD is having a modern gpu struggle to get playable framerates in a 10 year old game designed for hardware a thousand times less powerful than it, all because AMD can't figure out how to unfuck their drivers and implement opengl properly.

Try Terraria and Risk of Rain. It's most of what i used to play when my PC died and i had to use an old ass laptop.

> Have an AMD box, both CPU and card.
> Computer runs clean and cool.
> V/A tasks are smooth and done with no complaint, even on Linux
> But Xonotic stutters and have lower framerates.

I don't understand.

Silent Hill 1 (ps1), 2-4 (pc) and Origins/Shattered Memories (psp)
Resident Evil 1-3 (ps1) and Parasite Eve
Thief games
Age of Empires 2, Warcraft 3, Heroes 2-5
Portal 1-2, Left 4 Dead
Slay the Spire, Isaac, Into the Breach

OpenGL seems to run like ass on amd igpus

That's the thing: it's doing this with a dedicated card. What's even more bizarre is that Sauerbraten, Red Eclipse, and even Tesseract run like silk on AMD. I don't know what it is about Xonotic specifically that's so difficult