>Ape Escape dead
>All that's left is shitty cinematic walking simulators
>SONY still makes bank
Why?

Attached: image1.jpg (670x424, 62K)

Do they really own all those IPs?

jesus

No, most of their IPs are dead.
That said, every IP needs to die eventually and a lot of sony’s IPs unironically deserved it.

Do you consider that surprising?

Attached: Nintendo.png (1500x1500, 3.78M)

Well, most of them weren't made by themselves, only published.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 29K)

Sony could be so fucking good if they wanted to be but they’ve fucked it. I hope their narrow focus comes back to bite them because I’m so fucking done with their post ps2 game variety and there’s no sign of it getting anything but worse.

>Why?
Microsoft and Nintendo chose not to be competitors. It started in 2011 when the 360, DS, and Wii were making impossible amounts of money. Nintendo slipped the 3DS out of its ass because fuck it, right? It'll sell. Then it hardly did and they had to deal with that during the leadup to the Wii U- Where they were trying to replicate the blue ocean fad chasing of the Wii (Tablets instead of fitness) and no one was interested because it cost the same as the new Xbox and PlayStation but had the same hardware as their options from last generation and no games besides the same Mario that was out on the past three Nintendo systems. And since the 3DS did so well when it got to the price of a bike, Nintendo stopped caring about its home hardware and became a handheld company (They would later perfect this idea with the Switch.)
Microsoft was complacent as well, they could not stop their cashflow from the 360, Kinect, and online, and decided to double down on everything besides games (One platform for all entertainment- no games were announced at the reveal of the Xbox One) and later decided that any exclusives they did make have to come to Windows too because no one bought the Xbox One, why would they? Meanwhile Sony came out of the PlayStation 3 which sold at such a loss which, among other Sony problems, made people think Sony would literally be sold within a few years that they had no choice other than to tread water and do the usual thing of making a few exclusives every year and getting publishers to put games on their box.
Between 2013 and 2016, if you wanted to play video games, you bought a PlayStation 4. There was no other acceptable option. It was a horrible, awful time for games and the attitude of pessimism and fear it left us in still isn't gone. It'll be interesting to see if the same complacency that made Microsoft lose Gen 8 made Sony lose Gen 9. I know I'm gonna be getting the Xbox Infinite and PlayStation 5 anyway but I'm interested.

Attached: 1560018673811.png (1180x886, 108K)

Wow my grammar is awful in this post but I think the points still come across, if anyone is unclear just let me know, it's possible I'm wrong on some of this, too, but I think it's almost totally accurate even if just in the sentiment that "Microsoft and Nintendo's complacency let Sony win."
There's also the role global financial crisis had on smaller developers and a lot of other rippling affects but that's a way more complicated discussion.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 19K)

Literally the only IP in that picture that wasn’t made by a first party dev is wild arms

Pokemon was made my GameFreak, Kirby was made by Hal, I can't remember who Fire Emblem was made by, Xenoblade was made by Monolith, Golden Sun was made by Camelot, big publishers often let battle tested developers make original IPs, even if the developers' name isn't "(Parent Company) Studios."
Look at Microsoft, almost none of their games were made by them.

Attached: Microsoft.png (1500x1500, 3.41M)

I fucking miss resistance 2 so much

Christ no. You get Uncharted and Zombie Uncharted, nothing else.

I would have included WipEout on that collab instead of Knack since WipEout at least had a game in every PlayStation console

Sony has potential to have an exclusive game for a lot of genres but they are fully focused on AAA games that has that cinematic feeling, there's still room for some lower end games like the MediEvil Remake so maybe we could see some old franchises revived in that way like Ape Escape and im pretty sure we will be seeing a new Ratchet & Clank soon

Problem is that a lot of these IPs are done by the creators themselves, Media Molecule is fully commited to Dreams which is the natural evolution of the concept of LittleBigPlanet so Media Molecule doesn't have a real reason to go back to that franchise again, at best they'll make something related to Tearaway

Uncharted series was also done with Uncharted 4 according to Naughty Dog with that stand-alone expansion being just that, an expansion and they are now fully focused on The Last of Us 2 and maybe they will make a new IP again

God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and Gran Turismo have their futures pretty much guaranteed for at least a couple games more

Wild ARMs is pretty much dead at this point because I don't see Sony giving any budget to make a JRPG game of a series that's long forgotten and even back then it wasn't really that big compared to other JRPG franchises such as Final Fantasy

No but they did have the greatest console ever made

Attached: 3039258inlinei110playstationoddities.jpg (1250x916, 432K)

I JUST WANT A NEW CAR COMBAT GAME.
A NEW TWISTED METAL LIKE IP.

No because Patapon is fucking dead and I hate them for it

Crossover with Gravity Rush

Let's be honest Sony has utterly failed to maintain their classic IPs from the PS1 and PS2 eras and they'll do the same all over again
This is why Nintendo will ALWAYS have a stronger more dedicated fanbase and will also continue to exist despite having less money and power than other big tech companies it's because they are also dedicated to maintaining they're unique brand, style, and personality
There is a certain strong sense of familiarity, consistency, and trustworthiness that Nintendo exudes they've dug a deep niche for themselves in the industry
Sony on the other hand comes across as a soulless faceless mega-corporation they're successful but it's hard for people to feel any connection at all to a company like this and Microsoft is even worse

Fire Emblem is made by Intelligent Systems, the same company that made the Advanced Wars franchise and the Paper Mario games.

We call them ISIS here.

>I can't remember who Fire Emblem was made by
Intelligent Systems, or just IS

There's been 3, a remaster and they are emulatable even on the switch. How many IPs even make it to 3 games? You can only do the same thing so many time

>Yea Forums actually considers making more new IP than any other publisher a bad thing

Ok but rhythm based fighting game spinoff

There's probably going to be a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn on PS5, maybe a new Spider-Man or Ratchet & Clank by Insomniac, definitely a God of War sequel, new GT, MLB The Show. If Ghost of Tsushima does well enough I'd imagine Sucker Punch could make a sequel to that.

Attached: PS4Ranked.png (3374x1280, 3.48M)

they don't call Yea Forums nintendogaf for nothing.