Why do spiritual sequels always suck?

Why do spiritual sequels always suck?

Attached: 1v17YQ.gif (490x270, 560K)

>Neutral spaces
What the fuck

I've never played Battle Network is it good?

They get better with each game, start with the first so you know how good they are. They are fun, but will start calling on your deckbuilding autism just as much as your shooter knowledge.

Sounds like an alright idea actually

It's a pretty good series, some chips are a pain in the ass to get but it's definitely a game that takes you from being an idiot that has to dodge everything to become the most powerful Navi to ever exist on the internet that you can one turn kill just about anything.

They don't always suck, but they have a tendency to, not sure why. Cold Waters and Amid Evil were pretty good.

The last one wasn't that great, far too easy and far too short, but they do generally get better as they progress.

Yeah it’s a novel concept and a cool direction to take the series that was synonymous with robots. 2, 3, and 6 are my favorites, 1 is a rough start, 4 is not very good on its reliance of multiple playthroughs to unlock everything, and 5 could go either way if you like a bit of strategy.

Just from that webm alone I can tell you with certainty that the Touhou BN game is better. It's abandonware irrc.

If it were faster, and had more effective chips and less of that pxielshit style it would be ok.
>Neutral spaces
Not bad.

Hey how about you go fuck yourself?

I'd say there's a pretty good split of spiritual sequels that turn out good to bad.

The good ones attempt to be an actual sequel. They introduce new ideas and really try to build on the game they're being spiritually inspired by. They try to be better than the original.
The bad ones are just clones, mechanically and aesthetically a step down, that're really just using the original game for easy sales since the developer has fucking nothing to bring to the table.

Attached: 220px-Arx_Fatalis_cover.png (220x279, 99K)

/jp/'s got a thread about it, I think someone's been polishing it up.

I'd say demons souls was a worthy spiritual sequel to kings field. Shame about dark souls tho...

sorry user. OP's game looks janky and slow

Have him fuck Shanghai instead.

Attached: 6da95603-29ce-4506-bb01-90594d90e91e.jpg (1280x1036, 223K)

Kings Field looks like garbage, I just looked at some videos.

Demons's Souls >>>>>>>>>>> Kings Shit

Get in line.

Demon's and Dark souls were pretty great games, OP.

Soooo.... I take it you agree with me that spiritual sequel worked in this case

Wrong dude

What are some underrated chip combos? Asking for the future.

Attached: 767b303c-1b2e-44a6-8b41-5d720ee5d198.png (343x293, 82K)

The Demon's to King's Field situation is a very weird one.
I'd say that Shadow Tower Abyss to King's Field is probably a better example of them using a base to really launch a sequel. Fromsoftware has their share of terrible spiritual sequels too.

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 26K)

>Armored Core is dead
Fuck From Software. Demon's Souls got too popular

Because they are made by 2 or 3 guys in a basement

yes, you collect attacks across a wide array of areas, some secret, and the movement is very quick and responsive. The music is great too. If you want a good gba game, I'm gay

/thread

They really do always suck, don’t they? I anted Wargroove to scratch my Advance Wars itch, but only one unit in the game is ever worth making, so you just spam that or you’re needlessly crippling yourself.

They lack soul for the most part that the originals had.
Nothing but imitations (excluding a few) rather than feeling like fresh takes with the concept it was inspired by, that can stand on its own without having to be reminded of it's spiritual predecessor everytime it's mentioned.

Attached: Thinker.jpg (640x424, 67K)

Attached: 8NvvBR.gif (460x320, 2.35M)

AC is another good example of one they had a couple of good spiritual sequels to.

But yeah, shame it's dead. They keep saying they want to return to it, and then keep not doing that.

Attached: 220px-Chromehounds.jpg (220x305, 25K)

What does Arx Fatalis have to do with this?

fellas i'm still perturbed that we got fucked out of MMSF4. i wish i never knew in the first place

>nobody mentioning the best Megaman BN spiritual sequel

Spiritual sequel to Ultima Underworld.
Almost a literal sequel, except they couldn't get the license. Can't imagine why. You'd think they'd be paying people to use the Ultima license and make that brand relevant again.

Attached: this happened.jpg (1280x720, 78K)

>being this new

Attached: Ultima_Underworld_cover.png (279x358, 194K)

>Yeah AC isn't dead we're still working on it
>Bloodborne comes out instead
>Of course it isn't dead AC is super important
>Sekiro comes out
>AC is still in the works, we just don't want to announce anything just yet secret you know
>Fucking AC director leaves
>AC? Oh yeah, here have Metal Wolf Chaos HD instead, be grateful, probably won't get anything for another 2 years

I just wanted to overboost one more time ;_;

>DxM looks alright but won't scratch that specific itch
>merkava avalanche probably will never release
>Left Alive was worse than FME despite having Nabeshima
I enjoyed soulsborne and Sekiro but I just don't care for Elden ring, just give me a new AC already

Attached: Allium.png (810x769, 700K)

Because it's clear that any of the directors asking to make the game are either being ignored or being told by Bamco to keep making dark fantasy titles because they make at least 10x as much as a whole generation of AC titles do per release, and that's before we factor in DLC.

Huh, Dark Messiah was supposed to be Arx Fatalis 2. I wonder if there will be a Dark Messiah successor next.

I like how one of the characters was too attractive so they made them uglier

>here have Metal Wolf Chaos HD instead
That's a good thing in terms of getting to play that game, but they didn't even make the port themselves, didn't they

I was 2 when that game came out. I think it's understandable that I knew about Arx Fatalis and not Ultima Underworld

>If you want a good gba game, I'm gay

Attached: 1326012583055.png (270x274, 177K)

because you're a fucking retard. kys

Something about this art style is absolutely disgusting, like vomit inducing.

This is an embarrassment if it's supposed to be anything like battle network.

I think Dead Cells is a shallow game, I've only beaten it about three times but don't really see the formula changing up much like I've seen other roguelites do. If there's some kind of slow-burn secret surprise that comes when I beat game 10 times, or there's something massive just below the surface, I definitely missed it.

And wasn't Dark Messiah a spiritual successor of that too?

Like you can do any better you fucking cuck

That's correct. I made the mistake of getting Visage on steam greenlight and while the atmosphere is fucking astounding and has some decent mechanics, it relies too much on jumpscares whereas PT had like 3

To add on further, their progress is fucking abysmal. They released chapter 2 6 months after the first chapter

Remarkably ugly looking compared to BN and the enemies look like they have hugely bloated HP for things that are just Fishy clones but I appreciate that the background moves at least.

Oh god dammit it wasn't even them

One Step From Eden is pretty good, yes.
It's a tad too fast for me, though.

I tried playing the first but the random battles get boring after a while. The fighting is different from the average turn based JRPG but it's not entertaining enough to tolerate all the encounters I got.

But that's wrong, Freedom Planet for example was a pretty good spiritual successor to Sonic, bar the awful voice acting.

Woah, sorry something you like is not liked by others

Because if you're calling your game a "spiritual successor" to [popular old game], you're almost definitely making a mediocre pixelshit indie game and trying to associate it with a good game for clicks/sales.

savage

Attached: pogchamp champ gootecks.png (277x356, 184K)

theres a reason why lots of people say skip the first one

Freedom Planet wasn't a Sonic succesor. It totally was a Rocket Knight/Sparkster one.

Remember when tides of numenara tricked us into thinking it had anything at all to do with torment?

This looks awesome.

the level design is more Sonic than anything, with loops and those upward slopes that make you jump very high if you run at them at high speeds

WHEN

Attached: navi with fighter style bn tohou.png (419x430, 222K)

someone's mad his game looks like fucking shit; I don't have to do better, impress me and I'll buy your shit game

Is this even close to viable?

>Someone saved my shitty meme

Attached: 1516840774305.jpg (305x551, 36K)