Are CRTs the best way to play old games?

Are CRTs the best way to play old games?

Attached: 240pcomparison2.jpg (3920x4032, 3.82M)

Yes, always.

>have PC with modern GPU
>conversions so I can use a CRT as a monitor don't work well
What's the best CRT filter/how do I set it up? I use Mednafen if it matters.

Attached: 1541430591239.png (833x630, 461K)

Go in the shaders sections and toggle through the defaults until you like one, then you can try tweaking settings.

Shaders section?
Mednafen doesn't have a UI. I'm retarded and lost.

CRTs are the best way to play any game / watch anything.

old good
new bad

Tube TV, not a CRT monitor.

I hope this NEC IP gets dug up from the grave as well. We need more gaming bunnies.

CRT monitors are nice because it means if your GPU is underperforming you can safely lower resolution and maintain a nice sharp clean look.

Sometimes. Really 5th gen has a lot of reasons to not use a crt with more than a few games, but 6th gen onwards it gets really rough to recommend with the alternatives of the last 5-6 years. In a lot of cases at minimum a pc crt for 5th and above if you NEED crt. For 4th and older I would say 50/50, because again advancements made have been huge.

Where's a good place to buy CRTs online, bros? I can't find a listing for the one I want on Craigslist or on eBay

mostly, yes

Yeah, actually.

facebook market.

They're the best for consoles that go up to the Gamecube era

>and maintain a nice sharp clean look.
Long as you set your GPU right to scale/crop within the monitor's native aspect ratio so you're not stuck re-tuning it for certain games which don't adhere to 4:3.

Even 6th gen, especially PS2, looks best on a CRT. Flat panels do a shit job at 480p.

Yes, videogames were a product of their time, and were designed around the available technology.

Would you have a horse drag a car around instead of a carriage? No, it wouldn't fucking work.

no, you normally want hdmi modded unless the game needs dithering for effects

Attached: 20190824_132053.jpg (4032x3024, 3.17M)

HDMI mods only exist for 3 consoles and don't look very good in all situations - unlike a CRT. The N64 needs the softer image to look palatable and the NES looks bet with RGB when you have the correct mod installed.

Use retroarch

Yes. Zoomers try to shill shitty filters in emulators but they suck

Isn't the prob with RGB on NES is that NES doesn't supply the wattage or something to get the full brightness range out of most RGB mods, thus requiring an external power source for that?

Never even heard of that issue.

CRTnly

Dude just look at the fucking op

I already have saves in Mednafen and you can't import them

That's right.

The fact of the matter is that old games and other sources of the pre-HD era look infinitely better on CRT displays because they were designed to work together.
So yes, regardless of sarcasm, this post is accurate.

Depends how sensitive you are to input lag.

they're good

Get a used GT 730~GTX 980Ti
Those are the last cards with analog signal.