Hey gamers

You don't really need windows anymore

forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/08/22/from-0-to-6000-celebrating-one-year-of-valves-genius-linux-gaming-solution/

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

protondb.com
store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam
subdiff.org/blog/2019/new-website-new-company-new-partners-new-code/#part-of-valves-open-source-group
youtube.com/watch?v=zL3aBHQlQcw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But China said that Gaben and Valve don't do shit and they just sit on piles of cash, no?

>install steam on my linux laptop
>it fucking appends "(null)" to the end of its manifest URLs so I can't download anything
>this issue has been sitting on their github tracker for months
valve's genius linux gaming solution right

>linux
>gaming
lmao

I sent you a friend request.

>not on 5.x kernel
Linux gaming works fine if you are not on shitty as debian with ancient packages.

What is even the point of Linux

I'm switching to Linux if 100% of my steam games work just as well as they do on Windows. Bet?

I like Kde.

I had to disable most Kde shortcut keys to avoid some conflicts, but it works great.

Attached: cfeb0332-6e2b-4d0e-ab51-80cb535a5dae_screenshot.jpg (640x480, 16K)

You're not playing 100% of your games on steam you dipshit. Unless you own only

>forbes

Attached: 1558557645364.jpg (590x550, 53K)

I play obscure hentai games, while I like Linux, most Jap games with fan translations don't play nice with Linux.

protondb.com

With proton you probably can, user.

I'm on the latest version of Ubuntu

You don't know me, nigger.

Soon in EGS too, in about 20 years.

I need it for my saturn emulator.

>poze
>.ro

>ubuntu
Hahahahahaha
Why even bother using GNU/Linux?

You should at least try some different kernel versions with ukuu.
I'm not gonna tell you to install gentoo or arch, even though I have both and both work fine.

Linux is just the cringe contrarians choice of OS

>hurr just dont use the most popular distro
Bravo Valve. This attitude is why effectively nobody uses linux you know

Can progress on this get any faster? I fucking hate windows 10 so god dam much. I can't even play my old windows games without installing fucking virtual desktop while I can play fucking any old windows game on my ubuntu laptop.
What in the hell Microsoft? I can even do anti aliasing for titles that didn't fucking support it in 10.

Being an OS that uses the resource amount of Windows XP, but with a bigger feature set than modern Windows.

It has its issues and there are some things that are definitely not as easy as they are in Windows, but most of things are not things an average user does. Annoying for weirdos like me though.

DXVK dude. Hell it makes some games run better on Windows to because Vulkan kickass.

I can never stick with a distro though. I would love to know why 18.04 system76 and 18.04 lubuntu have outdated versions of Retroarch while Xubuntu's is more up to date, but should be coming from the same damn repo. Also sadly my mouse is proprietary as hell, but I'm so damn picky on mice its a problem.

Can it let me run Adobe programs? ZBrush? Substance Painter? No? Fuckoff then.

inb4 hurr blender

kys

>ubuntu
kek

Attached: 4P8H04_P.jpg (600x600, 68K)

just use gimp bro, free as in free beer or something

>You don't really need windows anymore
>Except for the literal thousands of games that aren't supported on anything other then Windows, including most new games

Just install Windows. No one's spying on you, you're not important, and no one will even remember your name a week after you die. You faggots are so annoying.

>Gimp

Attached: 1548528629527.jpg (960x641, 54K)

I have wine installed. Some games work, some don't. Would I have better chances of getting more games to work with Proton?

except that's not true at all. Microsoft -is- spying on you, it's a proven fact. yes, it's mostly only for adsand selling your data to advertisers but they ARE spying on you. just use LTSC with as much telemetry disabled as possible or use Win 7 POS Ready (telemetry update never came out for it, only security stuff is updated). like a chad.

Zbrush I'm not sure. That is a good program too. Don't know about Substance Painter. Honestly though Adobe is trash now its such bloated mess its not even worth using on Windows. Krita is awesome.

Sometimes its more about not having an update reboot in the middle of what you are doing and erasing all your data in the process.

Why not just use Windows then?

>buying expensive hardware to play games with
>using an OS that can't even properly engage vsync on more than one monitor (and God forbid if they're in different orientations)
Money well spent!

Can some non-brainlet enlighten me why Valve keeps pouring an ungodly amount of effort into Linux? Is it just one gigantic money laundering meme?

Last I checked their steam hardware survery show only like 1% of their users are Linuxfags.

Isn't Shadow of the Tomb Raider supposed to be getting a linux port? When is that supposed to be released?

Wine is just emulating Windows (yea I know Wine is not an emulator but it totally is just using a compat layer.) Proton is converting DirectX commands into Vulkan so yes more will work and better. It improves some things even using Vulkan on Windows its just a better API. Also try Lutris, its a game manager that sort of makes a custom Wine tweaked for each game to work.

or...you know...use any other distro besides Ubuntu?

0.79% and according to this thread Steam doesn't even work on the distro most of them are using, fucking lol
store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam
The reason is probably just that it's some small group of developer's pet project and since valve literally gives bonuses based purely on doing new things it's working out well enough for those devs even if it isn't actually very productive at all.

you can access everything in the kernel space that windows will not let normies access, because they will fuck the computer

Windows is threatening Steam by pushing Microsoft Store to all windows users.

Can you guarantee that they won't block off any installations from non-windows store stores at Windows 11?

Valve is just trying to hedge and protect themselves.

Valve has interest in making Linux an at least vaguely viable gaming platform because Microsoft has been getting increasingly draconian with the direction that Windows is going. It's nice to have a fallback, if necessary.

It's not a mystery. Gabe has openly said why. He's afraid microsoft is going to kill third party digital distribution in windows. He wants gamers on linux so he can continue to make money doing nothing but being a middle man.

>Steam doesn't even work on the distro most of them are using
>most of them are using
uh, no. only the retard OP uses Ubuntu, I think 90% of the Steam userbase uses Mint or some Arch flavor and Steam works perfectly there. I'm on Windows now but I used Linux and it works fine for gaming. I don't think I found a game I couldn't run on it in 2019.

Im curious what distro they use that can't get Steam to run, had to he some free software minimalist meme shit

0.41% of steam users own vr, yet they make money on it

They're still holding onto those SteamOS dreams.

look at the link you retard, Ubuntu is what most of them use and it isn't even close

Reminder that you don't own your Windows 10. Microsoft does. They will abuse this more than they already have, especially once the previous operating systems are killed off.

this is why no one wants to use your reddit OS

works for me on linux mint
inb4 h8rs

You've never owned any Microsoft OS. It's always been licensed software. The same is true for Steam and any games you purchase on it.

This. Anytime someone mentions Linux, they're either a retarded elitest or about to get shit on by the retarded elitests.
>inb4 but muh secret OS club

or maybe we are just trying to tell you to not use Ubuntu botnet.

thanks for proving my point, sperg

>posting on the fourchannel botnet
it's already too late for you anyway

Ubuntu is fine.
>large userbase so large sources of information
>large support
>more available software and a more streamlined experience
>more people looking at code, more people packaging shit
>bugs get fixed relatively quicker than other distros
>not too far down the OS line like Mint
Only elitists and tryhards hate it. Don't waste time configuring your OS for your shitty screenshots on /g/.

>You don't really need windows anymore
I heard that sentence so many times, it hurts.
I love checking out linux distros and I enjoy using them, but I always come back to windows, like a woman to big black cock.

no point at all

Yeah, but I don't really need linux, either.

so, now i can finally emulate all the windows games on linux? woah!

why should i do that instead of, you know, playing on windows?

*breathes in*

Attached: Capture.png (363x121, 9K)

this kills the /g/entooman

Because Windows is bloated shitty spyware for morons.

Based and freedompilled
Cringe and Stockholm-syndrome pilled

Attached: 1560721866165.png (621x577, 94K)

With W10 LTSC, the year of the Linux desktop has never been further away. Literally no reason to settle for a shittier OS that breaks most games when you can run LTSC.

>haha just use GNU/Linux bro!!!
>NOT THAT ONE REEEEE WHAT ARE YOU DOING

>wojak-posting
cringe squared

>forbes
fuck off

Actually sweetie, I DO still need Windows to play with my friends.

Attached: firefox_2019-08-25_12-18-31.jpg (733x108, 19K)

Why do people shill for Microsoft in Linux threads? Its like coming to a TF2 thread just to shill Overwatch. Or a PC thread just to shill a console.

I play games other than dota 2 so yes.

Attached: 1553966026211.jpg (749x780, 114K)

>popular distro

You mean shilled distro.

Ubuntu is shit years ago, if you don't have a fucking idea at least read information about the distros before proclaim shit

i really really really like this pic

Because Linux autists are fucking retarded. They go >using Windows >hating privacy, but when the game doesn't work on someone's Linux, they go again >not using my meme distro.
It's basically a dick measuring contest when no one fucking cares about it and no, people don't go unironically thinking "wow, he's using Linux, he's such a master haxor, I'm gonna cum". In fact it's to the contrary.
If you want gaming PC, you go Windows. It's nice that Linux is getting support, but it won't change much.

Imagine getting this mad over a free OS

t.

Attached: smug crying.jpg (601x508, 94K)

Windows is free if you're smart enough.

I don't give a fuck. I don't use w10 and my shit is mostly gateway'd and I know they phone home and when they do it.

servers

i wouldnt call other patients of your institution friends

To be the rock under everything as both Windows and MacOS eventually fail.

To be a flamboyant faggot posting screenshots of your desktop on /g/. You only have linux if you're a jobless neckbeard, if you want to get shit done, you use Windows.

Switched to Linux once, big mistake. When you're not using Linux, Linuxfags will only ever sing its praises, a utopia where nothing can go wrong.

The tune changes drastically when they have entrapped you. Suddenly the problems spring up, and there are no solutions.
>oh yeah that wifi card doesn't have support
>uh yeah that has been broken but it will be fixed soon, yes it's been broken for 3 years but soon
>x doesn't matter who cares if it's not supported why would you want x?
And so on and so forth. Don't fall for the trap, there's a reason almost nobody uses Linux outside of servers, farms, or other non-personal computer applications (and no, it's not because "everyone but me is retarded" like Linuxfags will say).

Attached: 1548975387162.png (287x387, 147K)

>Switched to Linux once
Oh and before you point this out Linuxtards, I did try 3 distros. Issues mostly are the same, with a 25% of them varying between distros.

Proton is a pretty cool guy. The whole steamplay compatibility system is somewhat generic and allows you to install custom tools to run the games with. This includes stuff like custom dosbox builds that take over the one that was bundled with a game.

I hope valve will resurrect steamos as a rolling desktop distro now that they are contributing to KDE too. One of the biggest issues with gahnoo+linux for newbies atm is that people are recommended to install ubuntu, which still uses a fixed releace cycle that only makes sense on servers when most of your basic software should come from the distro's packages and and """"noob friendly""""" rolling distros like manjaro are complete fucking garbage maintained by a few hobbyists. People are stuck on ancient kernels and drivers by default and have to use third party repos to update them.

If you are a turboautists and try arch (btw) or something similar then you can't go back to any other operating system afterwards.

They don't want to depend on microsoft. Pretty simple really.

Attached: 1550770294535.jpg (489x400, 56K)

There is no shame in being unable to solve a problem user, just stick to windows.

>you have to actually fix the os to make it usable instead of using it out of the box
Linuxtards in a nutshell.

>being unable to solve a problem
See this is why people say "Linux is free if your time is worthless". It's not about being able to solve the problem, it's about the problem being there in the first place. No sane person wants to waste time solving a problem, nobody sees it as a "challenge", just a timesink and productivity killer.
>just stick to windows.
Oh don't worry I will, switched to W10 LTSC, best choice I've done in a long time. Funny thing? It's actually faster than Linux.

alot of distroes work out of the box, dont act like W10 is issue free.
If you cant deal with solving issues once in a while, you should perhaps pay someone to solve your problems in life.

Honestly, that's a good point, but these days it's a lot better. Recently I just put in Manjaro and I had no issues that I couldn't fix in a minute. In the early days it took days.

>now that they are contributing to KDE too
sauce

subdiff.org/blog/2019/new-website-new-company-new-partners-new-code/#part-of-valves-open-source-group

The point is there's no $300 barrier to entry like a console. There's no reason for sour grapes

good, KDE is the future

Good thing I don't use W10 then, I just keep reinstalling the same W7 crack whenever I upgrade

Attached: Tee hee.jpg (567x440, 49K)

>'Can't solve'
>Solves it by not causing it in the first place

Attached: lel.gif (479x238, 3.02M)

And soon you won't need Linux either
youtube.com/watch?v=zL3aBHQlQcw

Just downloaded Deus Ex HR and it won't even launch
I don't have pictures of sad anime girls so posting Vegeta

Attached: 1564756650930.gif (300x198, 226K)

>I play obscure hentai games, while I like Linux, most Jap games with fan translations don't play nice with Linux.
That's wrong. There is literally no hentai game that doesn't work with wine+dxvk[d9vk], even if you have to spend some tiny amount off effort. shit is smol as fuck. Also, all MV games can be played natively with chromium or with nwjs. Of course you need to make sure that you actually have something like lib32-gst-libav to get wmv/gsm playback on old VNs but other than that is is smooth sailing.
I have almost every single translated dlsite/steam game and VN running just fine here.