When will Dragon Quest return to being open like the first three games?

When will Dragon Quest return to being open like the first three games?

Attached: 55335-Dragon_Warrior_III_(USA)-7.jpg (400x375, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dragonquest.fandom.com/wiki/Rainbow_Drop
youtube.com/watch?v=tFL43ubOLcc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No

I would like that for DQ12. I kinda miss the world being extremely open once you get the boat. 8 and 9 kinda had this, but it never really felt as open as 2 and 3 did when you get the boat there.

>Walk into "wrong" area
>Immediately get assfucked by overpowered enemies

Who would miss this?

>"playing with emulator turbo settings kinda ruins games"
>decide not to abuse it
>start DW3 on gbc
>get outside of castle
>take 1 step
>encounter
>7 billion monsters
>fight takes forever
>take another step
>another encounter
>shit i'll just run away instead
>fail
>fine guess i'll fight
>barely survive
>have to heal up
>get back outside again
>3 steps and there's another 5 monster encounter
>fuck this
>1000% emulator speed entire way through the fights
how the fuck did people live with that before emulators jesus christ

Non-casuals.

Why exaggerate so much?

HARD FACTS:
Dragon Quest 1 is the most mechanically interesting game in the series, and therefore the best game-wise.

Just about every Dragon Quest game has a section where the game opens up and you have to gather various items in more or less whatever order you want. But I still think Dragon Quest III handled it the best, with almost an entire world signposting you hints on where you can go and what you can do there. I'm in Act 3 of Dragon Quest V and it's not nearly as intuitive. I don't have as much of an idea where I can go or what the hell my ultimate goal is or how to accomplish it. Going to Mostroferrato right away and getting my ass split in half by that fucking Behemoose when my kids were both level 10.

Walking my ass to Rimuldar every time I wanted to buy another batch of keys wasn't what I'd call "interesting."

Explain. Is it because the game has been cracked wide open with randomizers and RNG manipulating speed runs?

people who like RPGs and prefer to have their intelligence respected

. . .did...you not know about the castle shop?

A manipulated RNG speedrun is a cute gimmick, but as far as I'm concerned it's a parlor trick. No, mechanically speaking, the game is interesting. It's a giant, invisible open-world maze set up with several risk/reward factors in a manner designed to teach how to play RPGs and even teaches the player several tricks that can be used even in today's RPGs, while also creating a unique necessity to have a deeper knowledge of the game in order to play it, specifically regarding the monster one-vs-one matchups.

Didn't you need to go to Rimuldar first to get the keys? I'll admit it's been ages since I played the game, but I remember walking back and forth between the towns for some reason, but that's probably just because I didn't know where the hell I was supposed to go.

You need Rimuldar to get the first key, but once you buy them, you can use a key to unlock a door in Tantagel castle which leads to another shop that sells keys. They're twice as much, but after a certain point in the game you stop caring as much, so you'll wind up just buying them there.

Just played the whole thing yesterday and there's 3 towns with keys.

You go their first, but after that as you can unlock a door and buy them at the castle.

That's an interesting way of seeing the game. I can really refute any of that because it's all true, however I don't see it as the best game wise. I enjoy the later titles much more.

>I enjoy the later titles much more.
You probably enjoy the narrative and the writing far more. After the first game, the only other interesting mechanics are the group system introduced in 2 and the auto-tactics menu introduced in 3. Other than that, speaking game-wise, the rest of the series is just a very mathematically tight series of standard JRPGs.

I'm not saying it's wrong to enjoy the rest of the series for that, because I sure as hell do, but DQ1 is easily the most gamist of the series, and becomes an interesting game because of it.

>being fucked in the ass at random by enemies is having your intelligence respected
I think you don't know what having your intelligence "respected" means.

Playing an RPG, any RPG, is learning how to reduce the depth of effect that random chance has on you. If you're getting fucked regularly by random chance, then you suck at RPGs.

I also enjoy the battles, character growth/customization, and world variety in the later games much more than 1.

>I also enjoy the battles
>character growth/customization
Mathmatically tight standard JRPG.
>and world variety
Narrative scope.

Your opinion is retarded because it is completely illogical.

Dragon Quest teaches you crossing bridges is a bad idea, but it ever, ever, tells you just how much. That is, you have no idea what lies on the other side until you actually face the enemies. And even then some enemies can be very manageable (those wolf-like enemies) and others can be crippling (wyvern-like enemies).

Final Fantasy II for instance gives you no contextual hints as to whether an area is brimming with dangerous enemies. I had my party wiped about 4 times in 1 hour because there's no hint at all I'm treading on dangerous territory. Going from "yeah this is piss easy" to "I stand no chance to win" is bad game design, there are no wo ways around that.

I think I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say. I'm saying that just about everything DQ1 does, I find that future DQ games do better. I understand that 1 laid the groundwork for the series, as the first game in a series usually does, but I don't see it as the best DQ in any aspect.

>but I remember walking back and forth between the towns for some reason

DQ1 is backtracking the game dude, it wasn't for the keys though

>go to one end of the map and get item
>go all the way back to show dude the item
>get new item and have to take it back to the opposite end of the map
>repeat a dozen times
>don't forget to back track and buy more keys after you get the reainbow pendant because you didn't have any room in your inventory after carrying the 5 quest items needed to make it

I legit just said fuck it when I got into dragonlords castle and was presented with 3 locked doors right after I had dropped all my keys to make room for the quest items.
Shit was obnoxious.

>Dragon Quest teaches you crossing bridges is a bad idea
All it says is "the monsters get more powerful", and there's never a bridge that goes too far in the game. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. But even if you want to play it safe, one would expect to stay in one area until the monsters become relatively safe, then make a test venture out, staying close to the bridge. There's nothing illogical here.

>Final Fantasy II for instance gives you no contextual hints as to whether an area is brimming with dangerous enemies.
Final Fantasy II is a bad example and a false equivilency because the game operates holistically on a separate level from your standard RPG, functioning closer to something like Saga which has it's own heuristics for how to get through.

But even then:
>Going from "yeah this is piss easy" to "I stand no chance to win" is bad game design, there are no wo ways around that.
This literally never happens even in Final Fantasy II.

Honestly, you sound like you just yolo'd your way forward, got killed, then complained that it was the games' fault.

>everything DQ1 does, I find that future DQ games do better.
Honestly would disagree. Most of the battles in future DQ games feel more nameless to me. I know most of the enemies of Dragon Quest 1 because 1v1 combat is so tight that it becomes necessary to advance at a steady pace. Since Dragon Quest 2, there are dozens of enemies that I'll encounter that I never remember because they barely last a round. This becomes more true as the series goes on and unlocks more skills. You have more options, but as a result, the game becomes looser around the collar, allowing you to autopilot way, way more of the game. It also takes away the discovery phase of DQ1 by throwing out more solid quest lines, eventually turning into linear point-to-point plot lines. This is helpful to narrative, but not gameplay.

>right after I had dropped all my keys to make room for the quest items.
wut
Herbs stack, as do keys, and you have enough room in your inventory for both and for all equipment. Why the fuck would you drop the keys?

The job system they made in 3 was pretty revolutionary, and is something still used today by many games. The forced tactics usage in the original release of 4 at first seems like a bad idea, but was well implemented, and not being fully in control of your team can make things a lot more exciting and personally I feel more engaged when I don't know how my team is always going to perform.

Even if Cristo is going to try to cast Beat on the boss every other turn.

>he doesn't enjoy cheesing his way through higher level areas

Attached: Mountain Goat Chronicles X.webm (854x480, 2.53M)

>The job system they made in 3 was pretty revolutionary
Final Fantasy 1 beat them out by 3 months. Wizardry 1 beat them by 8 years in the west, 3 years in Japan.
Both games had classes, class customization, and even advanced jobs.

>The forced tactics usage in the original release of 4 at first seems like a bad idea, but was well implemented
That was one of the other things I mentioned. >After the first game, the only other interesting mechanics are the group system introduced in 2 and the auto-tactics menu introduced in 3
Except that's a typo, I meant 4. I didn't even actually notice it until I quoted it.
But it's a really, really tiny thing that got outdone by Dragon Quest clones, such as Mother 1 by a good 6 months which included an auto-battle, and who knows how many other Dragon Quest clones released between 1985 and 1990.

>Even if Cristo is going to try to cast Beat on the boss every other turn.
You mean Kiryl and Whack.

Xenoblade X was low key a stealth game. Trying to explore as much as I could while trying not to aggro actual god bosses was fun as fuck.

there are 10 inventory slots
5 slots are filled by equipment
to get the rainbow pendant you need to be carrying 5 quest items, you have no room for herbs or keys

>get boat
>game is suddenly nothing but the same 6 or 7 ocean monsters

>to get the rainbow pendant you need to be carrying 5 quest items
dragonquest.fandom.com/wiki/Rainbow_Drop
>In order to acquire the Rainbow Drop in both games, the player must bring the Staff of Rain and the Stones of Sunlight to the Southern Shrine. The old man in the shrine will combine the items and give the player the Rainbow Drop.
1. Sword
2. Shield
3. Helmet
4. Armor
5. Scale
6. Staff of Rain
7. Stones of Sunlight
8. Rainbow Pendant
9. Magic Keys x 6
10. Herbs x 6

You don't need Gwailen's love at this point so you should have dropped that, you should have probably learned enough that the warrior's ring does nothing, and you should have used up the fairy's flute.

That's not even going over the fact that the Staff and Stones disappear from your inventory when you get the Drop

Literally the fuck are you going on about?

>Gwailen's love at this point so you should have dropped that, you should have probably learned enough that the warrior's ring does nothing, and you should have used up the fairy's flute.
The game would not let me drop either of those

Doesn't matter. Read the rest of the post. You should have still had ample enough room. I haven't even mentioned the fact that the NES version doesn't count equipped items as part of your inventory yet. There is literally no reason you should not have had room for magic keys, and even if you somehow didn't, you should have dropped herbs first rather than keys. There's way too much science behind how much of an idiot you were in this situation. Consider suicide.

>two extra items the game wouldn't let me drop
>2 plus 3 is 5
wow it's almost like you're retarded and don't understand I had my entire inventory filled with equipment and undroppable quest items
No herbs or keys

Anybody got the screenshot from the PSX version of 7 where Florin calls Keifer a bastard?

Here's a video of someone with all of the quest items + magic keys + herbs + Two actual junk items, a cursed necklace and the ring that doesn't do anything, at the end dungeon.
You're just retarded.

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (1023x762, 1.25M)

This is the first time I read something like this about Dragon Quest 1. I always felt this way about it but I couldn't exactly put it into words. Absolutely based opinion.

Not that user, but I also feel the same way
DQ1 is one of my favorites

Eventually, when they remake the first game with Soulslike combat and exploration.

>mechanically interesting
>open menu to open door and walk downstairs

only 2 is completely open
4,6 and 11 are open in the last arc

That's how Ultima worked and Dragon Quest is heavily influenced by Ultima. In fact, the Japanese version of the original even looked like Ultima with a graphical patch.

Wizardry actually
ultima is all that dumb virtues thing with no plot

>That's how Ultima worked
And that's stupid.

>6
>open in the last arc
Confirmed nobody actually played the damn game, but everybody wants to shit on it.

The combat is based off of Wizardry.
Everything outside of combat is based off of Ultima. I doubt you've played either.
Technically Ultima didn't have menues, since every command was assigned to a letter, but this doesn't work with 2 buttons, so the menu was required.

I just finished VI.
>your non-blood related non-sister brotherzones you
>your cleric friend goes off to fuck some literal random soldier
>the only remaining girl disappears from the world
Please tell me no other MC gets as cucked as blue Vegito here going forward.

Attached: DQVIDS_-_Hero.png (290x457, 163K)

To be fair, Everyone gets fucked over. (Terry gets a pass.)

Sure, but secondary characters never get anything in any case. VI's hero not ending with any of the girls was pretty damn jarring coming from V where you literally are a family man.

this
DQ games after 5 are movie shit

>after 5
5 is more movie shit than 6, 8, or 9 retard. I haven't played 11 but I bet it's less linear than 5 too. 5's linear as fucking hell, when you get the boat you can only go to like two new main story-related locations.

I love that feeling
Makes it feel more like a real world and not one that exists for the convenience of the player-characters

It's not that bad, but the animations in 3 certainly did make battles slower than DQ1 and DQ2. I played all three back to back on GBC and it immediately stood out to me.
4,5,6 on DS still have enemy animation but the animations are notably quicker/shorter than DQ3.

Was this key-buying thing changed in the SFC/GB remake? 'Cause I don't remember it at all.

wow it's almost like I didn't play the nes version that wasn't ever officially localized where equipment doesn't take up item slots ;3