It's impossible to enjoy this game after having played Zero Mission and Super Metroid

It's impossible to enjoy this game after having played Zero Mission and Super Metroid.

Attached: 16091-metroid-nes-front-cover.jpg (800x1124, 179K)

correct
op fucks dogs tho

Honestly SNES games have aged wayyy better than NES games for the most part.
But Metroid especially suffers from the limitations of the hardware, like how every room looks the fucking same.

There are a fucking asston of hacks for it though.
The Metroid HD one at least makes it look pretty good without changing everything up.

Still better than Zelda 1

It is actually but it's just not worth it. If you memorize the path you have to take from start to end, it is a little fun running through the game in under an hour or whatever the best ending requirement was (I did it one summer when I was bored). Aside from that really long vertical shaft climb with the respawning blocks, you know the one. That's never fun.

What is the point of this thread?

>why would you make a vidya thread on Yea Forums?

gee i wonder

Well, it's got samus but it's not a smash thread.
It's understandable for babies to get confused.

the controls felt alot smoother than Super for some reason

but I enjoyed it after playing zero mission and metroid. It's one of the last 2d metroid games I've played and it was fun

that lack of a map ruins both this and 2. with one it would be fine

No way.

This is honestly the only Metroid game I really enjoyed, and I don't really understand why.
I could never figure out where to go early on in Prime 3 and dropped it, I later bought the first two prime games, Dropped 1 after an hour or two because I got super lost and had no clue where to go and never even touched 2, I dropped Fusion because I hated how high the enemy damage output was, and I dropped Super for a couple years because Phantoon was a a bullshit trap fight that I managed to only beat when I came back because I forgot super missiles existed, then I dropped it immediately after because I had no idea where to go, plus I had constant issues throughout because of the super clunky movement.

I know after hours and hours of constantly exploring and shit I printed out a complete map of NES Metroid, which definitely helped me a lot in beating it, I wonder if maybe I'd enjoy the others if I did the same?

Zero Mission is trash.

Super is fantastic, but it's WAY too easy. And enemies in Super are trash. The Metroids in 1 are infinitely more interesting and cool looking.

The opposite is true. Very few SNES games are as good as their NES counterparts. JRPGs was the only genre where this was the other way around.

Why is there "Remodeled asshole" on many Samus threads? Is that the faggotry of ACFag?

>slow down and no map

RIP in pieces

>Shit Overworld
>Dungeons go the shit after the 3rd one
>Shit Bosses
>Wizzrobes
>Death Mountain

Ok, what?

Wrong.

Attached: 1537402869266.jpg (353x416, 32K)

I guess it's like Reimu's armpits. It's a character-unique fetish.

>The opposite is true. Very few SNES games are as good as their NES counterparts. JRPGs was the only genre where this was the other way around.
Also SNES was the first console to have fighting games, which basically did not exist in any meaningful way on the NES. SNES also had games like SimCity, F-Zero, Eye of the Beholder, Actraiser, Mega Man X, NBA Jam, and A Link to the Past. None of those games could have existed on the NES.

But yeah, many games in the core NES genres (scrolling platformers especially) that actually had "counterparts" didn't handle the transition very well. Hard to say why although emphasis on graphics over gameplay and casualization clearly played a role, with NES games being much closer to their Arcade roots.

FUCKING ZOOMIES

It's not, you just fucking suck, zoomer, Metroid NES made me wish there wasn't a remake, if I wanted a half-assed Super Metroid, I would have asked for it. Resources should have went into a Metroid 5, not a half-assed Metroid NES/Super Metroid remake.

Zoomers got to zoom.

It's Zero Mission that's hard to enjoy after Super and the original. The OG Metroid was fucking raw, that is to say both pleasingly harsh and noticeably undercooked. But that makes it interesting and it's enjoyable on its own merits. ZM doesn't have that, it's the diet onions low cal version of Super and that sucks. What does it have to offer besides a few extra minibosses and Metroid crawl? A playground for speedrunners?

Not him but I can give you some examples:

1. Ninja Gaiden (3 games)
Didn't make it at all to the SNES and there was no equivalent really.

2. Super Mario Brothers 3
Yes, I know there's a huge debate about this but fact is that despite SMW's improvements mechanics and QoL issues, the NES game is a legitimate platform game design around challenges (even if most of those challenges aren't very hard and the game gives you a shit-ton of lives). Meanwhile SMW is really kind of just a fun-time romp where the challenges aren't really taken too seriously.

3. Tecmo Super Bowl
Sports game, but still, the superior version of this game is on the NES.

4. Mega Man 7
Mega Man X the spinoff was great, but the mainline entry was a bit disappointing.

5. Castlevania IV
Another game that isn't bad or anything but just didn't capture the imagination of players the way that the original did back when it came out.

6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Fun and challenging platform game where you swapped different between characters with different weapons. After this, Turtles games all shifted to being beat-em-ups which were fine but there was no real spiritual successor to the original.

git gud

SimCity did exist on the NES before they moved it to the SNES.

This

>1. Ninja Gaiden (3 games)
>Didn't make it at all to the SNES and there was no equivalent really.
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy was released on the SNES.

>Ninja Gaiden Trilogy was released on the SNES.
Literally a direct carbon copy port

Literally, get good

And? They said it didn't make it at all to the SNES when clearly it did.

It's not.
- Tedious world design with long copy/pasted vertical segments that are the first fucking things the player has to deal with.
- Respawn rate gets really annoying you basically never get a break from enemies ever.
- Combination of these two things means exploration and backtracking quickly becomes a god damn slog where the main challenge is not getting so bored you stop caring about getting hit.
- At that point health grinding if you actually die is just insult to injury

Zelda 1 is challenging but doesn't have these problems. Enemies don't respawn immediately and there are no platform challenges to constantly re-do every time you need to backtrack somewhere. There are no long repetitive vertical segments to hop up and there are easily-accessible fairies to replenish health when you die.

Attached: metroid-shaft.jpg (268x3220, 364K)

Music's still good, otherwise yeah.

>It's not, you just fucking suck, zoomer,
I beat the game and OP is right

I know dumbass the point is about NEW games this isn't one of your retarded console war arguments this just observations about the mild degradation in quality of some genres and franchises as they transitioned to 16-bit.

>What does it have to offer besides a few extra minibosses and Metroid crawl?
More power ups?
Wave beam that isn't literally useless and doesn't force you to backtrack through Norfair to be able to beat the game?
More and better content?
Rooms that aren't copy pasted?
Actual bosses?

Super Metroid is probably the most overrated piece of shit of all time.

If the original weren't such a glitchy mess it would have been the superior game.

He's not, ZM is a half-assed remake that's also a half-assed Super Metroid.

Interesting did not know that.
But I think this is one case at least where the SNES game is the superior version.

OG Metroid is more challenging and open than ZM or Super but zoomie fags keep complaining about stupid shit like no checkpoints or not enough health drops.

>like how every room looks the fucking same.
Shut up, faggot. Some areas repeat, but only a minority.

I enjoy it. I beat this game at least once every 3 months.

Super Metroid already had all that and more. SM already remade Zebes and its bosses, doing it again but worse was entirely unnecessary.

true but OG Metroid is also a tedious game that could have been much better with some tuning. Super went too casual but Metroid still has flaws.

>tedious
How so?

OG Metroid is too tense to be tedious.

Its the other way around user

>Why doesn't this game about survival give me constant health drops?

Where did I say that in my post user?

What makes the game tedious?

I just think the controls are ass. I cant abide games were you cant crouch and have enemies right below the height you can shoot. You can bomb them but I find that too annoying
Also the graphics strain my eyes

This is true, Mario, Castlevania, and Mega Man are the only NES games that I can go back to and enjoy. NES was full of shovelware and the nostalgia for it is grossly misplaced.

God forbid Yea Forums talks about video games instead of posting cringe/have sex/incel/kumbrain ad infinitum.

>controls are ass
False.
>I cant abide games were you cant crouch and have enemies right below the height you can shoot.
They're obstacles.
>Also the graphics strain my eyes
Matter of taste. I think they look cool and eerie.

The NES has tons of great games and hidden gems. It redefined the console game after Atari failed.

Respawn rate is too high. Fighting enemies and progressing is fun for awhile but it's relentless given the amount of necessary backtracking, to say nothing of the amount of typical backtracking for a new player.

The pattern goes something like this:

1. Encounter a set of enemies, take damage because I'm still shit.
2. Figure out how to deal with them without getting hit
3. Attain Mastery
4. Enjoy the Routine.
5. And again these fucking bugs are back and I have to execute these same moves to get by them. It's starting to get old.
6. Here they are again. OK now that I've killed 50 of these fucking things I don't feel like I have anything to prove anymore all I want to do is get to that door I saw earlier so I can see what's behind it now that I found missles or whatever. I think I have enough health to just run through so fuck it I'll take damage and grind it back later.
7. Realize I'm not really having fun anymore and just quit.

Platform challenges have a similar dynamic where they are fun until you master them but if you have to backtrack by them too many times you start getting careless because you just don't fucking care anymore.

>The only NES games I can go back to are the easy ones.
Hmm...

Fuck no.

>Respawn rate is too high.

Literally ggez

SNES games aged like shit and mostly run like shit. Millenials just have nostalgia. Playstation era 2D games shit all over SNES stuff

SOTN aside, there were no great 2d PSX games.

>Complaining about areas in Metroid being copy-pasted
Metroid was originally an FDS game, so it couldn't take advantage of more advanced MMC chips. Even if you discount that, copy-pasted areas in Metroid are DELIBERATELY copy-pasted because the entire point of the world is that it's supposed to be disorienting and confusing. If you pay close attention to the map, you notice that rooms start out looking similar before changing the further you go in, this is done to make you feel like a rat in a maze.

Metroid is an example of the developers wringing absolutely everything they could out of the limited storage space and resources available. It's a masterclass of game design.