What's the appeal of turn-based RPGs?

What's the appeal of turn-based RPGs?
Why would you rather "press X to watch your hero do epic move" than do it yourself?

Attached: 1566370593051.jpg (706x990, 96K)

>inb4 for the story

Attached: 1393267786463.jpg (566x480, 54K)

Battles in JRPGs have always been boring. Turn based games genuinely recognize that and alleviate some of the boredom by making the fights coachable, or you can just autobattle. There's no point in running around the entire map to kill an enemy worth 11 XP.

Attached: Stephen King's THOT.jpg (628x869, 442K)

>press X to watch your hero do epic move
How is it any different in real time games?
Turn based gameplay can emphasize tactics, controlling a team and resource management in ways that wouldn't work in a real time game.
Or then it can be a really casual and light style of gameplay that has its appeal every now and then

Turn-based RPG:
> Navigate menu
> Select a choice that you think will work in the current battle
> (or, if it's one of your first times encountering an enemy or enemy type, select a choice that will help you determine their strengths, weaknesses, and gimmicks)
> Choose from a multitude of options, judging by a multitude of factors that would range from difficult to impossible to implement gracefully into real-time combat
> Watch attack, determine its effect, move on to next turn with adjusted tactical vision

Non-turn-based RPG:
> Take out your weapon/spell
> Smack the enemy
> If they were immune to that, go into a menu/menu wheel/etc and change your weapon/spell/etc
> Repeat
If all the depth in your combat comes from shit that still requires you to open a menu to use, it's worse than turn-based because at least turn-based has consistent fucking pacing.

It involves thinking, you wouldn't get it.

Jrpgs are stuck in the past gameplay wise, their writing tend to be better compared to modern wrpgs though so i keep playing them mostly, kiseki is kino tho.

Turn based RPGs can be great, provided their is actual depth to the combat.
Pic related has one of the deepest combat systems in any game.

Attached: 226968-jagged-alliance-2-macintosh-other.jpg (800x800, 160K)

Every turn based jrpg I've ever played quickly devolves into smashing the X/A button as fast as possible to just spam regular attacks. It's not the optimal strategy, but it works and its much faster.

This is such a common thing for players to do that lots of games actually just put it in as a feature so you can literally have the game play itself.

I don't think turn based tactics count as RPGs

>le epic clown meme
I want electioniggers to leave

"press X to watch your hero do epic move" applies to evey action games too retard. that's how game programming functions.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 6.44.21 PM.png (630x56, 17K)

People call Dark souls a JRPG
Based on the typical definition of "RPG" Super Mario Bros could be considered an RPG.

Genre names are usually shitty and nondescriptive, and the way people use them is even more retarded.

TRPG is just what nips call turn based tactics because they have brain rot and think literally everything is an RPG.

>Here's your turn based combat, bro

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1000x750, 50K)

> What's the appeal of video games?
> Why would you rather "press X to watch your character do epic move" than do it yourself?

It's supposed to be tactical, but most games just devolve into mashing the basic attack option. I'd like to see a system with deterministic enemy actions, where I can select counter-moves for X turns and execute them with one click.

>People call Dark souls a JRPG
Are you implying its not?

Attached: lez.png (184x206, 39K)

And the only difference between that and mashing left click in your standard non-turn-based RPG is... one of them is cinematic and one of them feels like making repeated melee attacks in an FPS.
If you're playing an RPG where mashing the attack button as fast as possible works in most scenarios, you're either playing a shit RPG or you're massively overleveled.

Even if you're just pressing buttons either way, the difference is in an action game it's actually challenging. You develop skill over time and it feels satisfying to be good at something and flex that skill.

Meanwhile in jrpgs just smashing x for hours on end isn't just a possible strategy, it's the optimal strategy.

for every 1 actually challenging action game, there's 10 others mindless button mashing game, that's nitpicking as hell. I'd like to see you try to play SMT game and just mash the attack button, see if you can get past one battle. And like action games, there's also the importance of "game feel". How fast the character responds to the input, how good the command menu feels to navigate and other factors.

Me always smash button, game bad

There is no appeal, it's a relic of a time when turn-based combat was the only way to translate RPG mechanics to a video game. But devs kept making them and people kept buying them so here we are.

and first person game was a relic of time when the only way to convey 3d space was through the first-person view, yet here we are.

>play xcom
>realize your skills in planning ahead, thinking critically, and responding appropriately to sudden danger are weak
>die, wipe, repeat
>learn to think ahead
>not what is gonna buttfuck me now, but what may possibly buttfuck me 20 turns from now
>learn to respond appropriately to danger by realizing that you have options. You have always had options even irl
>combined with planning ahead your options will generally be more optimal than otherwise
Compared to COD or Fortnight or Smash where you are so busy reacting all the time that high level play falls somewhere between animal instinct and autistic amounts of practice, with no room for any real enlightening rumination
>I enjoy tactics, (j)rpg, and mindless shooters

Well, when I was a kid turn based RPGs confused me a great deal. Why do they stand there waiting for the enemy to make a move? Why do they not dodge attacks but rather stand and wait to be hit?
As I got older, these games tended to be more appealing to me, although I didn't suddenly stop liking the stuff I liked beforehand. Turn based RPGs give a sense of command in a similar way to an RTS, but not as time limited (which may make them inferior to some, but eh, I enjoy being able to take it slow sometimes). Also, I've always enjoyed CYOA books like Legend of Zagor or The Citadel of Chaos, which usually used a similar format when combat was allowed, albeit with more dice rolls. I had a menu of special spells (skills), a basic attack, and an item bag. I had my stats on a sheet, and the enemy stats in the book. Turn based RPGs (and before that, a lot of text adventures I enjoyed) are sort of like that in digital form, and with cheesier stories. Of course there's bad ones out there that feel nothing like that or are just half assing it, but in games like Etrian Odyssey I genuinely get the same feeling, and I enjoy that.

Attached: Insatiable Pupa.jpg (582x428, 45K)

>Why would you rather
I don't have ADHD. All "action" games play the same, dodge button, retarded enemy AI that's no actual threat, mash one button to do le epic awesome combo on stunlocked enemy, repeat. At least turn-based on harder difficulties usually involves strategy unless you're a brainlet grinder. Maybe "action" games can start to be superior when devs put some actual effort into AI.

>why would you rather control a whole bunch of characters at once and get to implement a strategy you enjoy rather than mash some fuckin buttons, why isn't every game an action game
why are you people so retarded man. go all the way back to d&d, people enjoy creating or managing characters together in a team or party and having each specialize into different roles and shit to play off of one another. it's satisfying

>play xcom
>all your stratagem is fucked sideways by rng
god ur pathetic

This nigga thinking dynasty warriors an rpg

Attached: 20190821_150036.jpg (208x294, 54K)

>but most games just devolve into mashing the basic attack option
This is something a bunch of retards who have hardly played any jrpgs say, or who are retards who grind out the ass and vastly overlevelled for every single area of the game.
And when it does happen, it's not done for reasons of speed, it's done for reasons of resource management in that you don't want to spend your fucking mp, or tp, or sp, or skill uses or whatever else the game uses when you don't know what's coming up next.

Being good at dark souls is more hinged on the action front, which is why people are hesitant to group it with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

The idea is you have time to input actions for a whole party instead of just one character.

xcom is a jrpg now?

You fags always say this, but in most jrpgs it's actually just faster to grind till your overleveled then to spend time every single random battle deciding what moves to use.

>A. spend half an hour grinding and then smash x for every random battle for the rest of the game
>B. spend a few seconds every turn, every battle for the entire game, totaling several hours of extra playtime

>>A. spend half an hour grinding and then smash x for every random battle for the rest of the game
This happens in zero games unless you follow some kind of guide for grinding bullshit that you would never otherwise do. Standard xp curves do not allow for this kind of bullshit and you have to find intentionally put in, usually hidden, exceptions to make this remotely possible, or abuse bugs or oversights in design a la suikoden 2.

Here's the thing though retardo: people play games to have fun, not to get through it as fast as possible so they can move on to the next game. That means they play the game as it comes and as intended, not wasting their time grinding to make the game easier. And the saga games exist, are jrpgs, and completely shit all over your dumbass way of playing

using buffs and status effects really isnt as mentally taxing as you think it is

they're comfy

Attached: 1546802881364.jpg (520x520, 100K)

Also, you know what's faster than grinding and then auto attacking your battles? Just running from standard battles like a non retard

>try to run from battle
>failed
>failed
>failed
>GAME OVER

Very rarely happens, plenty of jrpgs running is almost guaranteed after 1 enemy turn. They're not all phantasy star 4 buddy

Yeah, sometimes I am in the mood to play something that's mentally stimulating without requiring reflexes. Turn-based RPGs and Strategy games fit that niche well.

Is it just RPGs that people shit on for being turn-based? Or do people think Civilization would be better as a real-time action game too?

>Dark souls
>Final fantasy
>Dragon quest
>Golden sun
>All the same genre because japan lol

They're slow.

> think literally everything is an RPG.
It is though - you're playing the role of a tactical commander.

God I wish that was me