vocaroo.com/i/s1AiAJEAIPY1
vocaroo.com/i/s1zbcGF3b0pY
youtube.com/watch?v=CqZXoRdQsGY
youtube.com/watch?v=la40d6pm17w
worldpopulationreview.com/countries/suicide-rate-by-country/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report#2019_World_Happiness_Report
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fundamentally? It brings Zelda-tier interactivity and attention to detail to the scale of an open world game. Everything is as interactive as it needs to make the world believable (althugh not realistic), which makes a lot for immersion, which makes the game just fun to play.
The game has a plethora of other qualities but they really are born from this philosophy, which all zelda games share.

Is it?

It just is

it's actually a sandbox game that lets you do anything instead of forcing you to do certain actions like RDR2. basically you can be as creative as you want

The game has so much common sense coded into it that you feel your decisions and their consequences are natural, instead of being lines of code that someone had to think of and program into the game.

Overrated tech demo. It's not necessarily bad just overrated and painfully average.

Too bad I've come to like Zelda's progression and growth and this game throws that on its ear.

Leave it to Yea Forums to suck Nintendo's cock for making an honestly underwhelming game. There's a word BotW has nothing to do with, "honest". Nothing about this game's design is honest in the least. The plateau gets your hopes up but the game never advances beyond what's introduced here. So the game reuses the same tricks over and over and hopes you won't notice how much hollower it is than even the worst 3D Zelda (discounting BotW, of course), Twilight Princess.

>b-but the gameplay loop is satisfying and exploring is its own reward

"No!"

Rewarding your efforts is something even the first Zelda got right, Korok seeds are a hollow reward, mirroring the game's design. Yes, discovering something the first few times can feel a little good but anyone with a triple digit IQ will soon realize every effort they make to traverse the game's empty world for a split-second dopamine rush when you finally find a half-interesting landmark is worthless when the game throws at you another worthless weapon or another pointless Korok seed. One thing I left unmentioned is the complete lack of satisfying dungeons, but it's one of the game's largest problems. The puzzles are lackluster but their largest issue is their lack of identity. The brown, unremarkable walls characteristic of each Divine Beast are such a far cry from the likes of the Shadow Temple from OoT or Stone Tower Temple. It makes you miss even the otherwise middling Lakebed Temple from TP, and that's saying something. You are free to respond to my post, I give permission, but just know I will not respond back; I've carefully considered and tempered my opinion so I know it's as right as an opinion can possibly be.

Attached: Ubisoft.jpg (400x562, 187K)

So go play Darksiders or any old Zelda game?

Man you really wrote a book just to show you know absolutely nothing.

But is it though?

it isn't.

Attached: ubisoftbotw2.png (1000x679, 215K)

>It's just another "muh dungeons" opinion
Ok user, you don't like freedom, creativity and exploration. You wanted the ~30 years old tired formula, go to dungeon, get item, defeat boss, open new path, repeat, railroad story until the end boss.
It's ok, we understand that Aspegers patients don't like any deviation from their stablished routine.

Says the autist that likes walking across barren wasteland for a non-reward an acceptable shake-up to the standard formula

>Ok user, you don't like freedom, creativity and exploration.
open-world sandboxes will never actually provide any of those things. they can only provide hollow imitations of those things while lacking the content to back it up.
>You wanted the ~30 years old tired formula
you do realize that there are other formulas out there besides the tired oot formula and the equally-tired ubishit formula, right?

Nice pasta. Too bad its just the harry potter one with a skin.

I appreciate this gane a lot more after trying to play shadow of mordor/war. It was like if BoTW had been made by some nonNintendo company and called it something else.

I hate how in BotW, unlike in earlier 3D Zeldas, you don't get new gameplay mechanics as a reward. It's just an ability to fail and run for a lomger amount of time. No new fighting mechanics, no new ways to travel, no new abilities, no new kinds of puzzles. It's all the same,all the time.

These. It's more immersive than previous Zelda games, which makes it feel more like an adventure. Its gameplay focuses heavily on systems rather than setpieces, and the story is similarly understated, which makes it easy to think of it as YOUR experience rather than the character's, more so than in other open-world games.

Detractors of this game will often criticize it by stating what the game lacks compared to other 3D Zeldas
>dungeons
>items that unlock progression
>story emphasis
but these criticisms are things that have nothing to do with the content of BotW, only other games in the series. In other words, if this game wasn't called Zelda, these points would become invalid. Pretty much all criticism of BotW is based on these preconceptions about what the series "should" be.

Because they copied from the master.

Attached: ToddHoward.jpg (220x293, 14K)

>In other words, if this game wasn't called Zelda, these points would become invalid.

and if that were the case, it would be apparent BotW has all the depth of a standard Ubisoft game with just slightly better art direction

To continue, shrines, Korok seeds, and weapon durability are only disliked because they're different, not because they're actually flawed. They're objectively rewarding systems.
>Shrines provide a permanent increase to health and stamina, which are both used throughout the game. A certain number of shrines have to be completed to see the game's true ending.
>Korok seeds expand the weapon inventory. Again, weapons are used constantly, so this is very valuable.
>Weapons can't be sold, repaired, or used in any way other than combat, and you acquire them constantly from shrines, in chests, or just lying on the ground, meaning there's absolutely no built-in incentive not to use them for combat. On the other hand, enemies always drop loot which has at least a small monetary value, and is occasionally valuable to the player, incentivizing you to fight. These systems encourage you to expend weapons as often as possible, the intended and most fun experience.
Most criticisms of these systems are based on subjective feelings toward them though. A statement like "It just doesn't FEEL rewarding"
is entirely personal and impossible to argue against, which is why it's used so often here.

>but these criticisms are things that have nothing to do with the content of BotW, only other games in the series.
No shit Sherlock, that's the point. BotW doesn't have those things and we hate it. I bet you would also defend a new Tomb Raider street racing game.
>In other words, if this game wasn't called Zelda, these points would become invalid.
However, this game IS called Zelda so these points are valid.
>Pretty much all criticism of BotW is based on these preconceptions about what the series "should" be.
Yeah how dare anyone expect for a new game in a series with established tropes and common grounds to have mechanics that the series is loved for.

Nintendo PR is that you?

I think is a very valid criticism of botw. Because nothing in the game feels impactful or meaningful. After doing 50 shrines doing yet another for 1/4 of a heart or fraction of a stamina wheel feels like you're wasting your time. Botw lacks goals. Hell most of the quests are completely meaningless too. Whoopee 100 rupees when I already have several thousand...

>great traversal mechanics
>that actually synergize well with the world design ensuring that "see that mountain? you can climb it" isn't just a gimmick but serves a gameplay purpose aka observing your surroundings and getting to where you want faster by gliding
>consequently the only open world game of that scale that can be navigated entirely by sight and gets rid of the need to constantly check your minimap and follow quest markers and pathfinding trails
>even cartography is part of the gameplay as you mark your points of interest instead of the game spoonfeeding activities to you
>climbing itself is also a far more involving activity than in other similar games as you need to choose your route, check for areas of respite and manage your stamina
>map design is incredible, with distinct points of interests of varying scale visible from everywhere and some occasionally hidden to mess with your expectations
>the art and sound direction is legitimately the best l've seen despite the archaic hardware, the lighting, the grass, the sounds of animals and wind, everything is top notch and perfectly evokes the feeling of a trek in the wilderness, making it the first game to understand and adapt impressionism to this media
>puzzle solving recontextualized to be part of the overworld with kass riddles, natural minidungeons like eventide island or typhlo ruins, or large scale spatial awareness trials like the eighth heroine or the three lanayru trees shrine quest
>fantastic physic system opening the door to the kind of emergent gameplay you see in the best immersive sims, you can build a flying machine with magnesis or soar through the map riding a log or a boulder like tao pai pai or baron munchausen
>epic action setpieces where you lead the charge against giant mechanical beasts
>genuinely surprising discoveries of unexplained events and creatures that give the world an eerie, wondrous atmosphere
Yea Forums's anal pain will never change the fact it's a fantastic game

all criticisms are personal you mouth breather.

I finished it the other day, I will never play it again to say the least. Hoping for botw2 to have an actual story.

It's an open world game that puts the emphasis on mechanics and experiences that are intrinsically rewarding, rather than artificial systems that give players a sense of accomplishment. "Hooray, I did all of this work" should never be the takeaway of playing a game

If Botw where made by anyone else or was anything else it would just be shadow of mordor tier. Janky shit cobtrols, bad climbing, poor progression, bad story, etc etc.

0 nanoseconds since Yea Forums cried etc

BotW gives me a sense of "hooray I wasted my time" every time I played it since you don't progress and get nothing out of it. Exploring empty landscapes doesn't do it for me after a time.

Holy shit how does one game make Yea Forums SEETHE so hard?

>but these criticisms are things that have nothing to do with the content of BotW
what? the fact that botw lacks so much content compared to previous games in the series is absolutely an indictment of botw.
>In other words, if this game wasn't called Zelda, these points would become invalid. Pretty much all criticism of BotW is based on these preconceptions about what the series "should" be.
nintendo could have left all the zelda characters and lore out of it and made this game a new ip instead, but they didn't. it's part of the zelda series, which means it's fair game to compare it to other games in the series.

seething

>To continue, shrines, Korok seeds, and weapon durability are only disliked because they're different, not because they're actually flawed.
They're objectively rewarding systems.
>look, a new weapon! I better try it out
>two hits later I have no weapon

>oh boy a shrine
>oh boy the same shrine again
>oh boy this was the last of 6 million of that shrine

>holy shit a Korok seed!
>I can have one more weapon that will instantly break now
>what a reward

>truly the greatest game ever made, no flaws in sight

Its simply the greatest adventure game ever made. Nothing comes close.

Attached: 1537176985016m.jpg (1024x576, 70K)

That's totally fine! Not everybody has to enjoy the same games.

if i wanted a physics sandbox with no real purpose for doing anything, i'd just play garry's mod. botw is a tech demo, not a game.

Because BoTW is one of those games where players need to set their own goals. Yea Forums is comprised of lazy low-iq under achievers who cant commit to a bed time.

cope

Most of Yea Forums likes it though.

So the hero weapons have ~70 durability+80 durability and can be repaired. Why not play throught the narrative and get those? Isnt that power progression?

What's great about is are two things:
1.vertical based world design rather than horizontal. It makes the game feel a lot bigger than it actually is.
2.The game is designed so you can go anywhere at any time and have a good experience. Compare this to something like dark souls for example where you can technically go in whatever direction but you're gonna get your skull bashed in if you choose the wrong path first.

I love when haters say "shrines" as if its one singular thing rather then accept the reality of them being 1/100 completely unique subterranean challenges, puzzles or assault courses.

Attached: 1536670738105.png (1000x563, 788K)

Yea Forums fooled me

it's a videogame you stupid faggot, there's no "real purpose to do anything" in any videogame besides the enjoyment you derive from it

you spergs have been crying for two years because botw doesn't constantly reassure you of what a good boy you are by giving you new trinkets and new mechanics to soothe your add while you're incapable of even fully exploring what has been given to you from the start, you sound like a wagie demanding to get paid in exchange for his work it's ridiculous

N-No we don't, stupid! W-Why would we wanna play a dumb game for losers?

Attached: 1534736153073.jpg (720x810, 43K)

Yeah, 1% is more or less the amount of original stuff in each shrine, you got that right

I can't believe there are people still trying to argue there is no real content and it's just walking/climbing. You have the 40 shrine quests, the 80 mini-dungeon shrines, various minigames like bowling, racing or golfing, traditional mini quests, the search for the memories and the divine beasts. There is legitimately 80 hours of non-exploration content in the game.

This. They finally make a Zelda game that doesn't hold your hand and is even a little challenging and Yea Forums can't enjoy it. I don't think anyone here will admit they love Skyward Sword now, but they sure seem to be asking for another one.

Attached: Legend_of_Zelda_Skyward_Sword_boxart.png (250x353, 214K)

>got 120 shrines all 4 guardians and ganon in under 80 hours including travel time around the map

user...

vocaroo.com/i/s0WeAiTMvwvs

>old game
>do sidequest
>get piece of heart
>"haha, yay!" *clapping*

>botw
>do side quest
>enter shrine that gives you piece of heart
>"i'm so sick of these god dang shrines!"

>it's a videogame you stupid faggot, there's no "real purpose to do anything" in any videogame besides the enjoyment you derive from it
and there's no enjoyment in botw because there's no meaningful reward for doing anything. once the novelty of korok seed #5000 and copy-paste shrine #1000 wears off after the first five minutes, the game exists purely to waste your time. i don't play games just to walk around big empty fields.

Doubt it. It's definitely possible if you speed run it, I guess but that can apply to any game.

The Zelda fanbase is autistic. Every Zelda game has autist screaming about how this Zelda game is the worst or the best in the series.

>botw
>challenging in the slightest

>m-muh reward waaaaa
see what I mean? 99% of botw criticisms boil down to this autism

Attached: cope.png (419x209, 49K)

at least skyward sword had kino dungeons. if it didn't have waggleshit controls and fi, it would run circles around breath of the farcry as an actual game.

Yeah, SS had one really good dungeon. Ancient Cistern.

It's just some idiot who never played the game. There are rewards. The shrine quests give new outfits and beating the divine beasts give you super powerful weapons and magic powers. Even the regular shrines give hearts which you need to get the master sword.

hero weapons, hero powers, hearts, stamina, master sword upgrades. What do you want? Boomerangs? there dozens. Bows and arrows? dozens. Magic rods? There are dozens of them. Elemental arrows? Bombs? what is it that you actually want?

it's funny how you fags will shit on death stranding for being a "walking simulator" just from cherrypicked trailers alone, but then defend shart of the wild for having no meaningful content. walking simulators are okay when nintendo does them, but kojima's a "hack" when he does them.

>Ok user, you don't like freedom, creativity and exploration.

Yeah you have the freedom (to run however you want from one objective to the next with nothing to interact with but enemies and a few npcs whom you can't even attack let alone interact with beyond listening to the same line over and over again as you hit the talk button)

Yeah you have the creativity (to craft the same few recipes - most of which suck)

Yeah you have the exploration (to run around an empty world filled with nothing but enemies and make work collectables on your way to delve into uninteresting copy paste dungeons)

how about actual dungeons like zelda games are supposed to have?

OoT
MM
ALttP
LA
ALBW
BotW
WW

There are your Best Zelda games bros.

vocaroo.com/i/s1AiAJEAIPY1

The game has 6 dungeons. (Divine beasts, ninja base, ganons castle). Yes they're not as long as other 3d Zelda dungeons but they're there.

>WW

Attached: laughingelfman.jpg (256x353, 18K)

user...

Attached: Magnetic_Field.png (953x623, 678K)

there are 4 of them.

those are garbage and no substitute for real zelda dungeons.

Who are you talking about?

thats how I felt about every SS dungeon. even the cistern.

Certainly better than TP, MC, AoL, LoZ, Seasons, Ages, PH, ST, and SS.

>it's a buttblasted snoyboy
every

single

time

based

>WW
>ALBW

Attached: 5647.jpg (600x656, 48K)

the hypocritical nintendies infesting this board, of course

I'll give you the DS games and Skyward Shit but come on man

Nobody's done that, you're gonna get your blood pressure all out of sorts if you keep reacting to strawmen of your own creation

my blood pressure is fine you fucking ni

arr rook same

Death stranding is quite literally a walking simulator, the entire point of the game is that you are traveling to deliver packages. That doesn't make it automatically a bad game though and I'm not going to judge it until it comes out.

It's one of very few AAA releases that recognises that not all people who play games are ADD retards who need constant meaningless "rewards" and encouragement. And it's also one of very few AAA releases that dedicates itself to being a game. Cinematic storytelling is there but more of a footnote to the actual gameplay and mechanics.

The old zelda concept art was so good. Gloomy, mysterious, foreboding dungeons. Unfortunately it was impossible to actually make them how they creator envisioned them with that old limited hardware. And now that we finally got the hardware to make these intriguing dungeons a reality instead we're given these bland, generic weebshit dungeons instead.

Attached: legend_of_zelda_conceptart_dPR2x.jpg (349x509, 66K)

The game boy games are tedious to go back and play, TP is a watered down OoT that added more padding and a pretty meh Wolf mechanic, MC was unremarkable, and LoZ and AoL are fine but not really that memorable.

>Death stranding is quite literally a walking simulator
so is botw, then. the only thing you do is walk around a big empty field, and fanboys defend it as "making your own fun" and "exploration is its own reward."

Play the actual game

>The game boy games are tedious to go back and play
What makes them any more tedious than LA which you listed as a best? To be clear I disagree, all three are great
>TP is a watered down OoT that added more padding and a pretty meh Wolf mechanic
That's what WW is except with sailing instead of wolf shit
>MC was unremarkable
No arguments here, still better than WW though
>and LoZ and AoL are fine but not really that memorable
>first fucking zelda
>huge cornerstone for adventure games
>not memorable

Do people really think you won't be using the motorcycle more often than not to traverse the world? I'm sure it won't be available in the very beginning but still

Also anyone whose played Zelda 2 certainly remember it, if only for how hard it was

Because it contains traces of a proper Zelda game and proper Zelda games are fucking fantastic. Have you tried playing a proper Zelda game?

By "proper Zelda games" I hope you don't mean those 3D bastardisations. BotW returned to Zelda's roots

Took the best parts of basically every earlier free roaming game and put them into the same game. Also returns to the true exploration of Zelda 1. It's not really unique, just a really polished version of what earlier games had done.

But even then, that's only the open world. It still has plenty of problems (cutscenes, story triggers, voice acting, shrines, etc). There are plenty of ways the sequel could improve on it. And I'm worried the sequel will be even more story and cutscene driven.

Attached: 1362876102206.jpg (600x500, 70K)

vocaroo.com/i/s1zbcGF3b0pY

>Also returns to the true exploration of Zelda 1.
are zoomers ever going to stop spreading this blatant lie?

Attached: zelda 1 vs botw.png (1898x1012, 519K)

why isn't there a fishing rod or any musical instruments

The most pedantic post of all time. BotW is clearly closer to the original Zelda than any game from OoT onwards

Sure but its also a lot closer to LBW than it is to Zelda 1

Because they actually bothered to have new ideas for this one

Isn't strange how after ALttP and OoT the fandom became a divisive?

based

no

I finally got around to playing the game and the divine beasts are pretty shit. the camel one felt like doing a cloister of trials from FFX

the shrines are far too small and never really build on the mechanics much. I wish they had fleshed out that part of the game more. I felt like the challenges never fully flexed the mechanics of the game

>BotW isn't a REAL Zelda game
>WW, TP, and SS are all watered-down OoT clones
>MM is only liked now that it became a contrarian trend
>OoT is an overrated "good for its time" game
>2D Zeldas are unimpressive by modern standards
So... which ones are the REAL Zelda games?

Attached: IMG_0044.png (398x397, 247K)

>I can't believe there are people still trying to argue there is no real content and it's just walking/climbing
Tell me about it. I had the same feeling when Yea Forums argued Assassin's Creed has little content while in reality it had 60 templars to assassinate, 91 towers to climb and whopping 420 flags! Not to mention all the side missions where you pickpocket, eavesdrop, help other assassins, kill enemies, destroy evil merchants' stands and gather intelligence.

No I would disagree there, the first half of ALBW is fairly linear, though you're right that the dark world is probably the most open Zelda's been other than BotW
It's a fairly recent division. I think people rediscovered the older titles and started to become a bit bored of the formula OoT created.
ALttP, to me, is as challenging as the NES games and doesn't have as much in common with the 3D titles as most seem to think

>has to climb mountain to proceed
>right after the climb starts, it starts raining
>now you have to stand around like an idiot, hoping the rain will stop soon
That's when i uninstalled it

Attached: file.png (400x400, 17K)

>2D Zeldas are unimpressive by modern standards
Only to shit taste retards

>its not a total copy of Zelda 1 so it wasn't inspired by it at all!
It's inspired by Zelda 1. Not a total copy. But it's still far closer to Zelda 1 than any other 3D game.

>botw is literally just like zelda 1!
>*lists all the major ways in which zelda 1 was different*
>NOOOOOOOO STOP BEING PEDANTIC, YOU'RE RUINING OUR NARRATIVE, HOW ARE US BOTW ZOOMERS SUPPOSED TO PRETEND TO BE BOOMERS NOW? FUCK!

git gud

>stand around like an idiot
Why don't you spend 2 minutes finding another way around
The raining was good. It fucked up your dumb plans of just walking and climbing in a straight line to your destination

How do you stop the rain through skills in botw?
Because it wasn't a 2 min run around, it was more like 15+ minutes. A mechanic like that, which is seemingly random, is absolutely horrible design

Quote someone saying "it's just like Zelda 1". No one said it because no one thinks that. The game is just obviously more similar to the original than most of the 3D games that came before it.

>not just traveling to another location and doing something else in the meantime
How does it feel to be literally autistic?

Everyone has their own taste on what makes a Zelda game good. It was better when it was fairly fresh, now that it's been around so many years sections of the fanbase are bound to get alienated with individual entires due to Zelda trying to change it up with each game.

>15+ mins
Very rarely. It's not horrible design at all, for the reason I already gave

the only things it has in common with the original are link, zelda, ganon and hyrule. botw is an ubishit formula game through-and-through, no matter how much people want to deny it.

How does it feel not being able to recognise horrible design?
But you did not provide any reason, at least not a valid one. Having to waste 15 minutes in order to avoid a shitty, random weather effect is unacceptable

and OOT plays more closely to a 2D game than any of the other 3D titles in the series

cute main character

Attached: EAzHYkqUwAAJZ2_.png:large.png (601x850, 782K)

You keep saying 15 minutes. Rain doesn't even last that long in the game.

>The developers themselves, critics, and general public all agree that it's clearly inspired strongly by the original game
>I'm supposed to be persuaded by some random user that that's actually not the case with total non-arguments based on surface-level observations

You keep making excuses for bad design. When do you post the points that shows it's not bad?

OoT plays nothing like the NES games.

>just grab the fish out of the water!

when you git gud

I'm not the user you were arguing with. I just felt the need to point out that what you were saying was clearly false.

>The developers themselves
nintendo using nostalgia pandering to market their products, wow, what a shocker.
>critics
the same critics unironically thought skyward sword was on the same level as oot.
>and general public
most of whom have probably never actually played the original.

Not him but the effect is obvious. It means the player isn't stuck in the braindead mode of just going in a straight line and actually has to consider the environment and where he has to go.

You know the game tells you on the HUD what weather is coming up. If you see rain just go to sleep at a fire.

they needed more female outfits in the game

>How do you stop the rain through skills in botw?
make a campfire

So instead of making travelling interesting they just added random rain and you're telling me that's good design?

not at all another user solved the problem by doing something else and coming back and it wasn't raining. that's a non-solution

I didn't say NES games, I said 2D games
it's literally 3D ALTTP

>sorry hero, your quest to save the land will have to wait until you sleep because it's raining
Great design senpai

You can skip time in the game by sleeping. There are camps with beds set up all over the world.

>A statement like "It just doesn't FEEL rewarding"
Rewards that don't feel like rewards usually aren't actually rewards. Durability mechanics are rarely liked in any kind of adventuring game because they tend to be simplistic mechanics that do little but add hassle and annoyance to the gameplay. Typically, there are plenty of ways to implement resource collection and consumption dynamics without resorting to broken weapons. Even the primitive NES Zelda had bombs, keys, and rupees as resources (with rupees doubling as arrows and bombs being a viable weapon). Weapon durability or something like it tends to work better when implemented as something like a power-up in an action game.

> meaning there's absolutely no built-in incentive not to use them for comba
Incorrect. There's incentive to use the shittiest weapons possible because you never know when you might need to use a better one. Which sounds like a fine dynamic except that, as mentioned, there are already plenty of ways to implement this with consumable items and ammunition, so you can have the best of both worlds.

how many hours did you guys spend on the bowling minigame?

To others it was an interesting problem that forced them to do something other than climbing. To retards it was an annoyance because "I WUNNA GET TO PLACE QUICK!!!!"

>oh its raining I guess I won't climb then
Come on user its far from interesting

>it's literally 3D ALTTP
No its not.
God damn why do so many people say this?
How fucking catatonic do you have to be to be unable to identify massive fucking differences in the focus of gameplay and even content design between ALTTP and Ocarina of Time?

The reason why the game has weapon durability is to auto adjust difficulty. So if you go to a really strong area you can get a strong weapon to fight the enemies with but then when you go back to a weak area you can't just railroad through the rest of the game with that weapon. It's actually a pretty clever system.

Seeing random rain as a rewarding challenge doesn't exactly scream high IQ though

If by clever you mean a lame and only slightly less annoying version of auto-scaled leveling.

By the way they also do this in another way. The higher hearts you get the stronger enemies spawn. You will start the game with red bokoblins everywhere but as you get more hearts you will eventually start getting blue ones, then black ones and eventually white ones.

>the game has no progression after the great plateau!!1!
Alright, let's dissect that pants on head retarded criticism for a moment. After leaving the plateau, you come across:

>hearts, like every zelda game
>stamina upgrades, which fundamentally change how you explore the world
>upgrades to sheikah abilities like stasis+, OP as fuck
>four champion abilities
>five different types of arrows
>over a dozen new armor sets with set bonuses that drastically affect gameplay
>boomerangs, classic zelda upgrade
>other classic zelda weapons like flame rod, etc
>higher-tier enemies, and while they're reskins they carry different weapons with different movesets
>different types of tameable horses
>the ability to build your own town, house, and community
>faries, dozens of meal ingredients

If you buy the DLC:
>teleportation pad
>monster masks
>master cycle
>upgrades to champion abilities

I can keep going, too. This game offers just as much progression as any zelda game and if you disagree I'm assuming you gave up on BotW after five hours.

Attached: 1524757876839.png (700x913, 359K)

It's not at all though. The player had the choice of doing that and it's a valid one. In any case it still changes up the gameplay and makes them consider the actual environment.
>But it distracts from your objective at that time
The entire game is about patiently wandering around a big open world, and everything reinforces this. If you're feeling such blue balls from not getting up a specific slope then you've sort of missed the game's intent. You're supposed to figure a way round, or wait until the rain's done.

just make a fire lol its part of the game git gud or turn it off LMAO

the only time it's used effectively is in zora's domain

Level-scaling is almost as unpopular a mechanic as weapon durability.

one of the towers has flying guardians around it so you either have to fight them or climb the rocks there is no other way around

We almost had a decent botw discussion thread without some sperging infant posting that picture.

The reason the rain stops climbing is to encourage you to explore for camps, because camps have beds where you can sleep and skip the rain. The whole game is designed to reward exploration and punish bum rushing for the objectives.

about as catatonic as the people who compare Zelda 1 and BOTW I guess

Yep, you can tell when you're ready for harder enemies and areas, just because the progression isn't handheld or locked behind a specific item that needs another item, etc. I just replayed it a month ago, and was shocked how well it holds up.

>If you buy the DLC:
>teleportation pad
>monster masks
>master cycle
>upgrades to champion abilities
that's such a bullshit DLC it changes nothing adds no new areas or content just a few items for $20 they lock out hard mode and it's never sold on cartridge so it's ALWAYS fucking throw away digital bullshit I can never resell. thanks nintendo for polluting your first party titles with this bullshit

Yup because they're both shitty, lazy ways to balance a game. It's like rubberbanding in racing games. It's the hallmark of bad design

>Rewarding your efforts is something even the first Zelda got right, Korok seeds are a hollow reward
This is like saying "why would I ever own a farm filled with several different kinds of animals if I'm just going to get eggs?"

When people talk about the "flaws" of this game they assume it's meant to be a linear game where you run straight to your objective, do the objective and then run straight to the next objective. The game isn't designed to be played like that, of course you'll have a bad experience if that's how you approached it. You're supposed to head to an area, explore all around the area doing quests/shrines/minigames and then do the objective before heading to the next area.

But Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game. I love the rustic charm, the dungeons, atmosphere, etc. I've never understood why people hate it, its literally what everyone wanted after OoT and MM. Its just a continuation, expansion, and exploration of the concepts and ideas introduced in those games. It's Ocarina 2.0. My only gripes are
>No trading quest
>No musical instrument with special properties

In a game where you spend a lot of time climbing it's a very welcome "change of plan". Never said it was a massive mindblowing challenge but it's a smart way of making the game world have limitations and problems for the player, as well as making it feel more tangible

>adds no new areas or content
Master trials, a new divine beast, new boss fight, master mode, new armors, everything I just listed before, 12 new shrines, origin stories for the champions w/ cutscenes, etc
It was more of the same and there was nothing wrong with that, user. Zelda isn't an RPG ffs it's an action adventure puzzle solving game.
I think you're mixing up sandbox/open world games with RPGs just because of garbo stuff like ubishit.

Yep, yep. And if you play on master mode, unless you trivialize the game by upgrading armor fully and spamming the champion abilities the game can be quite challenging.

The picture doesn't invalidate my argument whatsoever but thanks for your discussion.

The game actually just has weapon durability and using enemy weapons because Anouma wanted to do that in Wind Waker. A ton of the stuff in Breath of the Wild are ideas Anouma couldn't do in earlier Zelda games. Especially Wind Waker. The fact that the hundred other designers of the game made it kind of work doesn't mean the idea started in BOTW.

still pissed off there's no cartridge version of the game I fucking hate DLC

I enjoyed twilight princess a lot too, but that's exactly the problem. It's just OoT 2.0. It failed to separate itself enough from a game everyone had already played, so the experience lacked novelty.

>But Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game.
>I love the atmosphere
Every fucking TP fag in a nutshell.

>I've never understood why people hate it, its literally what everyone wanted after OoT and MM.
We didn't want a shitty version of Ocarina of Time with all the good gameplay/design removed, replaced by a dark "atmosphere."

Attached: ATMOSPHERE.jpg (1920x1200, 972K)

To me it feels lazy. I'd take jrpg random encounters over botw rain. Still, just of the top of my head, adding loose rocks, falling boulders and avalanches could have been a far more engaging way of accomplishing the same thing while maintaining fun gameplay

This. BotW is "the waypoint says to go left but I'mma check right real quick" The Game. It's that moment where you need to go to Whiterun but instead you go west, fight two dragons, find dwarven mines, meet Molag Baal and begin your relationship with The Brotherhood before you've even met your first Jarl as a game.

Because Zelda fans have different taste, which is why the series is so divisive and cherished at the same time. It's one of few series where someone can list X game as their favorite in the series at the guy next door thinks its the worst in the series and started a downward trend. Most of the games in this series are at least 8/10 quality.

why is the main story so bad? every divine beast I meet the leader of a town, they tell me they trust me but the person standing next to them is like WHAT? then they send me on a single errand before having me fight the beast. great storytelling guys

There are falling bolders. An avalanche would be cool but the snow area feels like a late stage addition that they didn't have the time to flesh out.

The zora and gerudo areas characters are great. The goron area has a few cool characters too. I think only the ruto area is pretty boring but then again revali himself is my favorite champion. The ruto area definitely got the short end of the stick.

BOTW has those. Enemies even push boulders down on you.

I like the areas I'm just talking about the quest. zora area has you do a bit to get into town but the others are just blah and you walk up to the chief and they immediately get you going. in skyrim you at least had to do a few quests from townspeople first before the jarl trusted you. I get that I'm link and by the 4th town they should see the other beasts had been tempered but it was just fairly underwhelming overall.

plus the ghosts of the champions are kinda shitty. they give the same encouragement dialogue while you're doing the beasts and their speeches after you've completed them are all the same

Cool. If only they had added more of that and ditched the rain

I'm sorry but there's nothing lazy about implementing something most games don't. In general, it's really stupid and presumptuous to say developing anything in a game is "lazy" considering how difficult it is to make a game, especially one as well thought-out as the rain in BotW
You also need to remember that aesthetically interesting things don't necessarily translate to mechanically interesting things. What would the avalanche add?

Attached: c81.png (1024x576, 727K)

They should have had climbing gloves that negate the rain slippage, for sure. There were times I'd just sit and wait for 3 in-game hours for rain to stop when I needed to climb, and there was no close area to warp back in where I'd trekked.

BOTW has almost as much story as TP or SS. But with the added strike of Metroid Other M level voice acting/scene direction. The biggest problem with BOTW is not so much that the story sucks, but the way it was executed. And it's been that way since Wind Waker.

Zelda should focus on exploration and NPC interaction. Not hours of boring cutscenes and plot triggers. You should piece together the story by hearing various rumors and legends from NPCs. Not being shown a flashback cutscene.

Attached: 1562199889728.png (1280x1791, 1.98M)

Using a mechanic that adds nothing in terms of gameplay instead of something that would engage the player is lazy though. An avalanche would add you having to dodge/climb for cover. There are plenty of ways to push players off the beaten path and they went with one that's random and not engaging at all. That's lazy

God, Riju and Urbosa are so beautiful

>korok seeds are a stupid, garbage reward! who cares about finding them?
>also I am always running out of weapons because they break and I can't hold enough of them what the hell
it's amazing that these people can't put 2 and 2 together

Comparing a game is much different from claiming:
>[Ocarina is] literally 3D ALTTP

You can definitely compare ALTTP and Ocarina. They do have a similar structure where you first find a set of minor macguffins and a sword artifact to unlock a second world where you need to retrieve a set of greater macguffins to unlock the final battle with Ganon. You have a sword, shield, and sub-weapon which includes stuff like boomerang and hook shot just like ALTTP.

So yeah I get there are similarities. But to claim they're the same game is just stupid. ALTTP is packed with enemies and you're constantly either killing or evading them. Puzzles tend toward being more elaborate versions of the mazes from Zelda 1 rather than being the "interactive 3D environment" theme in Ocarina of Time. NPCs play a minimal role in ALTTP and there are almost no cutscenes, just some short dialog.

When I see people make claims comparing BOTW and NES Zelda, even when they're obviously wrong they never claim that BOTW is literally a 3D version of Zelda 1.

BOTW does do this though. Sure there are some flashbacks here and there but most people even complain that there is too few - which shows there isn't a ton.

Most of the storytelling in BOTW does happen through reading diaries, talking to people, looking around at the environment.

They should have just made it so wearing the full Zora suit negated rain. You'd climb much slower, but it would avoid the rain. Even then, once you get the full Climbing Gear, it's pretty easy to just force your way up. Unless you're climbing those fucking plateau's near the jungle. Where there's a quest that forces it to rain 24/7.

Implying detractors have played long enough to realize who Hestu even is.

The way it was executed is the most interesting and good thing about it, imo. Discovering story events non-linearly in the was a very good way of doing it for a game of this sort. The actual story itself isn't very good, but that's sort of the Zelda curse

I agree that the execution was poor, but at the same time BotW does actually do the NPC thing way better than any other Zelda

Both desert dungeons were pretty great too.

GREAT BEGINNING
BAD MIDGAME
HORRIBLE ENDGAME

To add to that, people also complain about korok seeds being too easy to find, despite that being the entire point of them. Can't run out of inventory space if there's a korok seed every 60 seconds. Just have to put in the bare minimum effort exploring.

A lot of it is told through NPCs. But not all of it. And it only feels like there's less story triggers/cutscenes because you have some 200 hours of exploring between 2-3 hours of cutscenes/story events. But TP and SS also had about 2-3 hours of cutscenes/story events. It's the same amount of story, but BOTW has a ton more free roaming space between them. TP and SS have almost no free roaming at all.

Attached: 1480137987563.jpg (436x833, 152K)

>The picture doesn't invalidate my argument whatsoever but thanks for your discussion.
It also doesn't help it and makes you look like a butthurt fanboy.

Attached: butthurt.png (278x278, 114K)

>after I put 100 hours into this game it stopped being as fun
No shit, really?

We've already talked about what rain adds to gameplay. What you want is something that stimulates/excites you without much purpose
>BRO YOU HAVE TO DODGE THE SNOW AND FIND COVER AS IT FALLS DOWN
Okay, but quickly finding places for respite is already something that climbing has and something that rain reinforces. If you want to climb up something while it's raining (which you can and people seem to forget), you have to move around quickly finding the nearest ridges as you make your way up

Yep, you're trying to recover your own memories, of things from 100 years ago without a map. They're not going to be all laid out pretty for you. It highlights the bleakness, loneliness, and loss you experienced.

I don't see anything about 100 hours in that post

*in the world

Question Yea Forums, it seems that every Zelda since after OoT changes things up and divides the fans and yet this series is considered one of the best franchises in the history of gaming. Is the fact that each game strives to do something new, or go in a different direction a strength or detriment to the series? Because typically one should want to unify their fanbase under a common consensus, not divide them into two camps that love and hate the game with every entry over the course of 20 years.

Attached: Link-Thinking.png (553x694, 290K)

>We've already talked about what rain adds to gameplay
And i've already explained why it does so in the worst way possible
>What you want is something that stimulates/excites you without much purpose
How dare you - wanting to have fun in a game. Outrageous

Endgame in botw is easily >100 hours

Fun is a very vague descriptor. Some people find body mutilation fun. You should always be more clear about what you mean then simply saying "fun."

The fun is in the actual playing of the game. The aesthetic doesn't actually matter that much. It's why people can still play the original Super Mario Bros and enjoy it, even though it looks like shit and all you do is jump on turtles.

If you're good, you can have a real good shot at Ganon 40 hours in, especially if you've got the parry/flurry timing down.

That's because it's challenging and requires skill, unlike climbing during rain in botw
I already did in previous posts though

Because it stole a lot from other games and dropped the old dead formula that only worked for OoT.

Solid 8/10

I have 300+ hours of Dark Souls, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Master of Magic. No idea how many hours of NES Legend of Zelda I had didn't keep track when I was 8 years old. Clearing 100 hours should be easy when a game is good.

For reference, 300 hours is about 5 hours and 45 minutes per week for a year.

Botw is as challenging as you want it to be. If you don't upgrade your health everything oneshots you.
If you're skipping half the game sure

Yes and I have 300 hours on botw, what is your point here?

>If you don't upgrade your health everything oneshots you.
And if you put on the best armor you got, everything two shots you unless it's lightning arrows in water. Those still one-shot you.

Yes, botw can be challenging. Climbing during rain, however, is not. It's just frustrating but there is no amount of player skill that impacts it

>If you're skipping half the game sure
True, you miss a ton. You'd have maybe 25% of the shrines at that point.

Zelda went down the same path as Final Fantasy. Try to reinvent the formula every game, but in reality they end up repeating all the same mistakes. Mostly focusing on story and cutscenes over exploration and gameplay.

As for the series being considered one of the best, it's because it goes all the way back to the NES. And gets hyped by fans and media alike. Again, like Final Fantasy. But also like Castlevania, Mega Man, Mario, Metroid and every other major series that started on NES. Zelda games will always get hyped because of nostalgia, even if they're bad. BOTW just actually attempted to go back to the roots of Zelda.

First time playing a Zelda game
It has lots of charm, and detail put into it
Unironically soul

Also fish waifu

Attached: 1.jpg (3840x1600, 404K)

I liked it but it's more so a 7/10 for me. The trailers and my first 4 hours with the game left a good first impression on me but after I realized the divine beast are pretty bad dungeons, alot of the shrines were copypasted, no meaningful side quests, the enemies were lacking and combat in general is pretty boring I was basically on auto pilot when I was 100%ing the game. It's not complete shit but I don't think I'll be replaying it anytime soon.
Also my biggest pet peeve is alot of the costumes were tied to amiibo fucking stop doing this and put them in the base game.

You should go back and play all the other games. It would be interesting to see if people who got started on more recent 3D Zelda games like the old ones. Sadly, most of the people I know like won't even give the 2D games a try.

Attached: 1189313516468.png (309x450, 189K)

>but after I realized the divine beast are pretty bad dungeons
They're not, they're the best 3D dungeons the series has produced, by forcing the players to think of them in totality rather than as a series of locked rooms, and the physics puzzles allow the player to complete them in creative ways

While I like the divine beasts, they're really not that great of dungeons. They're too short, most of the "puzzles" are really easy and the end bosses are pathetic. Still, I'd take them over the shit dungeons in Wind Waker/Twilight Princess, which are the opposite. Too long and full of hours of busywork.

Ideally though, a Zelda game would find a balance between these two extremes. Which is basically what Zelda 1-5 did. If they wanted to go in a new direction, they could have open ended dungeons. Like a full underworld you could freely explore and complete parts of when you had the right items. That's what BOTW2 should do. But I doubt it will.

Attached: 1184541468590.jpg (600x814, 153K)

The puzzles are better than most 3D Zelda puzzles by virtue of the fact that you have a lot more ways to solve them and you're free to experiment and even manipulate the structures yourself. Never really got the complaint about the bosses, they were fun, and the length didn't bother me at all.
>If they wanted to go in a new direction, they could have open ended dungeons. Like a full underworld you could freely explore and complete parts of when you had the right items
But user, that sounds very similar to the formula the series stuck to since OoT

Every Zelda title has its own strengths and flaws, and someone's favorite one is more due to personal taste than objective quality.

Attached: Upset_Princess.png (700x546, 181K)

Exactly. It's a new take, but building off of the old ideas. Keep the dungeon style progression, but with BOTW style freedom of action.

Nah there are qualities you can genuinely think are objectively flawed
Not many will say Skyward Sword's controls are perfect, for example

The only games fans in this series agree about in a more negative light is usually SS, PH, and ST. Outside of those games, people are split on most of the others.

Every Zelda game since Wind Waker, you did dungeons in a linear fashion. Literally couldn't go into them until you reached certain story triggers. And even in Ocarina, you didn't have access to all of them. I'm talking about, like BOTW, you have total access to any dungeon as long as you have found the entry point on the overworld.

And they could go one step further than this and have all the dungeons connected by underground passages, rivers, lava tubes, mining tunnels, ancient underground roads, etc. Effectively making an entire underworld to explore, like in the Zelda cartoon. But I highly doubt Zelda would ever do that. Just a dream I've had since Zelda 2.

Attached: 1-1.jpg (620x349, 99K)

>And they could go one step further than this and have all the dungeons connected by underground passages, rivers, lava tubes, mining tunnels, ancient underground roads, etc. Effectively making an entire underworld to explore, like in the Zelda cartoon. But I highly doubt Zelda would ever do that. Just a dream I've had since Zelda 2.
Basically, turn Zelda into Metroid. I'd love it.

I'm not saying that Zelda games don't have flaws, because they all do. What I'm saying is that there more or less can't be a consensus on the best Zelda title due to how basically every Zelda game has something that it just gets right, and that thing might be what someone thinks is the most important part of a Zelda game.

I disagree, I think a lot of them don't get stuff right. Twilight Princess is definitely one of them. Whatever it was going for, it didn't achieve it

Literally the only thing TP got right was Midna. The only motivation to keep playing is getting to the next Midna cutscene. But that proves TP is a bad Zelda game, when getting to another story cutscene is the motivation instead of exploration or gameplay.

Attached: 1484935362321.png (418x604, 277K)

I mean, but many people have Games like TP and WW as their favorites in the series. Certainly those games have good qualities about them otherwise people wouldn't rank it high in the series. It really comes down to how much the flaws of each game matter to you. Hence why it's so hard to get a consensus on what the best Zelda game is, or what are the best ones.

I'd also say that, for the most part, TP has very good boss fights. The only one I don't really like is the one from the Goron Mines.

>why is it so good?

Exceptional game design, I guess. Not many devs would attempt something like this. Its just too much hardwork to build an engine like this from scratch.

It the only true open world experience out there. A vibrant world with not so many things, but total freedom on locking for them without excessive and too blatant babysitting. Also proven can you can have your movement extremely free with the simple moderation of stamina, so you don't feel like the world is joke when you move, It's the game that made my hope for good open world again.

Loved discovering that area with the giant mushroom structures. Its one of those moments where I felt like I was part of an interactive dream

>Because typically one should want to unify their fanbase under a common consensus, not divide them into two camps that love and hate the game with every entry over the course of 20 years.
I think of it differently. Every Zelda game that sets itself apart from the others is more likely to become someone's favorite game. I think WW and MM are objectively weak games, but they're beloved because of their uniqueness. And despite what so many people say, I don't think any 3D Zelda has ever suffered for being too similar to another. TP being a copy of OoT, for example, is a total meme criticism. Having more polished gameplay and a moody and creepy atmosphere absolutely makes it stand out. A lot of AAA developers play it safe with their franchises and try to avoid flaws by just making polished, inoffensive entries, but a strength of the Zelda series is that it can take risks and create games that are shit to some people, but amazing to others.

Attached: Twilight.jpg (460x330, 132K)

I think it was pretty shit
I have some hope the sequel will fix it though and in the meantime genshin impact is shaping up to be pretty good.

>the content of BotW
Of which their is none, that's the fucking problem.

There is a richer sense of atmosphere in a single track from MM's OST than there is in the entirety of Twilight Princess.

You've literally not played the game, or are lying out your ass

Actually play games before you criticise them please

This. Only blind fanboys would disagree. I was hyped for BotW and absolutely loved the plateau, but game drops off hard and fast once you leave. The only other area that comes close is Eventide. HC would as well, but it's so easy to cheese, even by accident, that it's brought down a lot. Still has a nice atmosphere and music at least.

youtube.com/watch?v=CqZXoRdQsGY
Let's hear yours.

The best memories I have of this game are all from after the Plateau, I've never understood this opinion. The true joy of the game is when you're free to roam a huge world, not when you're limited to a tutorial ridge at the start

I put over 100 hours into this garbage and most of it was spent getting places only to find there was nothing at those places
Especially annoying when you make your way to a shrine and it's another fucking combat one because they wanted to have their cake and eat it to by having more shrines than they could come up with ideas for.
The only interesting things in the game are eventide Island, chasing down the corrupted dragon and the set pieces while approaching the devine beasts.

There are plenty of other games where you can roam huge worlds except those worlds actually have things in them
Ever heard of a little game called world of warcraft.

The one thing I really miss from botw is the fact that if you find something cool, it's gonna break within 20 minutes of gameplay and also the fact that the bosses feel less "use your new gimmick and the mechanic of the temple" and more "Pro tip: Attack the boss until it dies"

That track is like a children's idea of what "creepy" is. It's obvious.
The music in Clock Town on Day 3 is more nightmarish and creepy just from being at a slightly quicker pace from normal and having off-chords in the background. MM is one of very few cases where people talk about the game's "atmusfere" and it's actually warranted.
youtube.com/watch?v=la40d6pm17w

>and never really build on the mechanics at all
ftfy
All the shrines must be beatable with the handful of abilities you get on the plateau and mastered hours ago. They're all tiny and they all require only one rune, if any, to beat. Many of the puzzles can be boiled down to moving objects = stasis, water = cryonis, etc.

Yeah MMOs are shit
BotW's world has things in it, but also space in between them, because it's not a retarded theme park where ADHD gamers can wander from one landmark to the next in two minutes.

Everything is new and exciting on the plateau and it's where the vast majority of content is introduced along with the only real mechanical progression. The rest of the game is just a bloated plateau with a small handful of towns and glorified shrines in the form of DBs.

The sense of wunderlust in the game is unparalleled. There's no barriers. You just saddle-up and see whats out there.

I disagree strongly, where the game truly shines is when it finally lets you go and you do whatever you want. Shrines also do "mechanical progression" off of the Plateau, but in a much subtler way, most individual shrines are there to familiarise players with a singular aspect of the game's mechanics

I should just save the list at this point.
>shitty gimmick dungeons
>cookie cutter shrines
> limited items
>easily exploitable combat and inventory
>no punishment for death
>map has the same few things over and over
>side quests are all fetch quests
>only one with any characterization is Zelda and it's shit anyway
>final boss is a fucking joke

I think the map and world design is very good and immersive and the freedom to explore it as you please is rewarding. I did my second playtrough without quick traveling, use of map, or activating the towers at all, but the sheer amount of unique detail in the world meant that I could still easily tell where I was going because I could refer to familiar mountaintops on the distance and every area was really distinguishable.

There's literally hidden chests, koroks, shrines, quests, and tough monsters everywhere.

Attached: BotW.png (1476x934, 1.64M)

The only problem is you have to have a sense of wanderlust in order to enjoy it.

>I put 100 hours into a game I hate
then you're mentally disabled and don't have a valid opinion
I agree that combat shrines are bad though, good thing they're quite a small part of the game

Why do people like WW again?

Attached: ocean.png (653x523, 528K)

>>oh boy a shrine
>>oh boy the same shrine again
The only shrines that repeat are the test of strength, of which there are 3 for every level. 3*3=9. Plus 2 more on the Twin Peaks which are supposed to mirror each other but I'll be generous and include them. So 11 Shrines repeat, out of 120, which amounts to 9.1% of the total shrines.

N-no, that stuff doesn't count! None of that is meaningful content! It m-might as well be empty! Haha....

Can't walk 10 feet without there being a Korok, animal to hunt, plant to pick up or whatnot. Which is why I never rode a horse in the game. You have to get off the horse every 5 seconds.

You must admit that it would be better if they joined all shrines of every genre into a bigger one. The puzzles sometimes take a minute to complete, it would be better if that was just the first step of a larger dungeon with the same theme.

Yeah, I'd like them if you could store weapons better at your house.

You still have plenty of freedom and agency on the plateau.
And no, the shrines don't introduce mechanical progression. Runes don't even need to be used outside of shrines or DBs. You can beat the entire game without them. Nothing you get on the plateau is necessary for beating the game so it is kind strange that it forces you to collect them.
You sound like the type that just enjoyed running around the world in BotW, which I'd say is by far and away the most common reason people liked it. Those who criticize BotW simply wanted more than that. Or rather, they wanted better reasons to run around in that world.

I'd say that some of them did do some rune combinations, and the dungeons did that even better. I was disappointed that the castle didn't have more need of runes. The Cryo rune is the most pointless, except if you do a lot of water chest retrieval. Stasis was the most fun, by far.

It's not what you find that is important; it is how you find it.

If you want to deduce all elements of a game down to [necessary] and [unnecessary] you ultimately kill the spirit of the experience. You become a robot rather than an adventurer. What makes Windwaker my favorite is that I love Link's expressions. I love the music. It's cheery and I always have a big smile on my face when I play it. I love Makar's little jingle when he walks. I love Medli's duck face. It's FUN.

That would actually make the world empty.

Or make three dungeons. One for each shrine Zelda visits. She could never open the door, but Link does with the dragon scales. Instead of there just being a weak shrine back there, they could have put full dungeons.

Then have a few dungeons on the overworld instead of the labyrinths. Similar to the lost woods or the dark island.

>Nothing you get on the plateau is necessary for beating the game so it is kind strange that it forces you to collect them.
Especially when the glider is OP as hell and the runes could have been spread out over the world and only given to the player upon encountering a shrine that requires it.

Then that is just artifical length of the game, I sure as hell didn't enjoy those shrines that took a minute or two to complete, they were just filler.

Absolutely, that would be much better. matches the story and feels more like an adventure rather than chores.

Shrink the world. It's already empty and collecting the same things over and over again loses it appeal fast.

>And no, the shrines don't introduce mechanical progression.
The "progression" is up to the player, but shrines do teach you singular elements of the games mechanics and obviously most players learn from them. It's much subtler (and more rewarding/interesting imo) than "now I have the hookshot now I can do dungeon x".
BotW is definitely a game that's oriented around impressing upon the player the scale and beauty of its world. I think most people can become attuned to that if they'd like, but they've been programmed to enjoy meaningless, brainless rewards every ten seconds rather than the zen of just wandering around a vast beautiful world where mechanics interact in surprising and cool ways. Really they cheapen the experience, but they think that rewards and meaningless shit enriches it

And this is just the map without treasure and koroks, just for fairness. Still a ton all over, especially since each of these encounters isn't just show up and click. The fights are all potentially fatal, take time, and proper weaponry. Not to mention the different tactics you could use to approach them.

Attached: BotW2.png (1326x943, 1.72M)

You think that "wiggle controller for a 30 seconds in order to get a fourth of a fraction of your health/stamina" is better than spending an hour getting the hookshot?

No that would miss the entire point of the game - that your player character is dwarfed by a wilderness much bigger than you. Almost everything about the game's design is oriented around this

The game was good but your giving it far to much credit. Honestly the reason this game is shilled so much is that because it is a game with a fire hard fan base that will blindly defend it, a new instalment of a game we have not had a good quality version of for some years (3d that is) and the fact it's on a mobile platform

I have many hours sunk into the game, but the issue is the game funny enough should be called BREDTH of the wild because that what it is. It's like a massive huge football field size kiddy pool. There is so much to do, so much to see, so much to explore, but it's all surface deep. 90% of the secondary quests where literal fetch quests, or if you happened to have the inventory item your done and come back for rupees. The best quest chain was building the town. Now when you were actually doing the beast quests that shit was really engaging and fun, but once you get the memories, the beasts and ready to fight Ganon that's it, there nothing more to the game. The shrines are super repetitive, finding the seeds is not a good quality item of content because it's literally pick up quests a fad started by assassin's Creed with the stupid flags I hope dies soon. The game was good but it only has face value.

Not to mention there is a lot the game can and should be criticized for. Weapon system being hot garbage, crafting system thats explained by a single diolog line and nothing else. No way to track things you have made, a lack of story driven mission, lack of endgame/killing content, lack on enemy types(Boko lizards and moblins pretty much all there is) gimic mechanics that no one wants or needs, not able to climb in the rain.

Like I said I have a lot of hours in the game and I really like it, a lot, but the lack of depth in the game is very disappointing and quickly becomes boring and repetitive not in the good way

>Shrink the world.

No thanks. Make it twice as big please. Its such a chill game to explore.

Shrines aren't even 10% of the games content. Even without the shrines, there's more than enough on the overworld to explore. But also, if they had full dungeons on the overworld, it would take up a lot of space on the overworld. They already have the Labyrinths, lost woods, dark island and that island where you lose all gear. Just take those ideas and expand them 10 fold. Suddenly 1/4 the map is taken up by dungeons and events. Would have been especially helpful in the jungle and Lanyaru mountain.

Fortunately gyro controlled shrines are few and far between, but at least with those the player is free to experiment with the game's physics and complete them in ways they want. The learning process/progress is down to them with the game giving an understated helping hand, rather than the fairly rigid and brainless formula you seem to prefer

I can't believe you wasted your time typing all that shit out.

Writing that TP is the worst 3d Zelda (when Skyward exists) instantly lost me : you're the dishonest one here.

>not able to climb in the rain.
Invalidated your post.

It wasn't until people started attempting to defend BotW's subpar collectibles that I started hearing anyone shit on the notion of a game valuing its player's time and rewarding them properly.

The world could be cut down to a third and you'd still get that feeling just fine.

I'm playing it now for the first time now, and it reminds me a lot of RDR2 to a fault. It tries to be "realistic" with its stamina bar, but it drains too quickly, weapon degradation is an awful mechanic, the rag doll, while fun, can get you easily, and the controls are fucking trash. Who thought it would be a good idea to have jump and run be X and B? Also I keep throwing my melee weapon becauss i thinking it's the bow button. Game really needs button remapping. Also Zelda's voice is fucking awful.
For the good things I like, I love the exploration, I still haven't seen Impa yet, too busy getting shrines and currently helping the Zoras, and the gliding is so fucking fun. Combat is meh, but combat has never been remarkable anyway, and the Music is also great. Calamity Ganon also looks really cool
So far it's a 8 for me.

Any mechanic that requires a player to stop, pause their game play experience in order to do a mantinance mechanic of a game is not a. Good mechanic.

>It's like a massive huge football field size kiddy pool. There is so much to do, so much to see, so much to explore, but it's all surface deep.
This.

There are plenty of brainless shrines in botw. I'd rather walk through a well thought out dungeon with a theme linked to the story rather than
>oh no, how will I get past here? just use magnesis on the door
>oh no, how will I get the ball to get that platform? pull two switches
>oh no, how will I defeat this enemy?
>oh no, how will I cross this water?

They give literally nothing to the experience. It's just lazy.

>rewarding them properly
That's the mentality that doesn't make sense. Games should be enjoyable in and of themselves, you don't need a pat on the head and to be told you're a good boy
The korok seeds aren't as meaningful as I'd like but other than that there doesn't seem to be too much of an emphasis on your standard "collectables"

If you don't think the climbing gear was massive wasted potential you are delusional.

SS has highs and lows while TP is consistently mediocre.

>Keybindings are trash

THANK YOU!
The controls fucking suck, why they did not make x jump and y run I'll never fucking know. Plus let's discuss the horrible fucking item switching system. Let's put it on the same fucking side that also moves you, oh your weapon broke because durability sucks ass in the game in the middle of fighting something? Trying to run/Dodge well better hope you can wait for an opertunity to FUCKING STOP so you can pull your thumb off the movement stick to pick a fucking weapon

you talk like a faggot, but you're right

>well thought out dungeon
None of the the previous 3D Zelda dungeons are as fully though-out as the Divine Beasts, in terms of forcing the player to think about the holistically
Also you didn't mess around enough for the physics, which is a shame because the game really wants you to do that

>It tries to be "realistic" with its stamina bar, but it drains too quickly
Because you upgrade the stamina bar later.

>and the controls are fucking trash. Who thought it would be a good idea to have jump and run be X and B?
I felt the same way when I first started out. But once I got used to it, it becomes instinctive and I don't even think about it anymore. Also, many Japanese games have different action buttons than America does. The famous thing with Sony games where Cross is action in the west but Circle is action in Japan. And some Japanese games will retain the Japanese controls, throwing western players off. Nintendo even did this same thing in Link's Awakening, throwing people off by having the B button be the default for the sword. But you can manually change it to A.

Someone told him his game is not all it's cracked up to be
*Seething*

>Now when you were actually doing the beast quests that shit was really engaging and fun, but once you get the memories, the beasts and ready to fight Ganon that's it, there nothing more to the game.

This is a good 60-80 hours worth, though. That's a hell of a value. Virtually all of getting to the towns, then getting to the beasts, beating them, getting the sword, and then the amazing Castle is a great time. It's rare for a game to have 60-80 great hours of game in it, and then if you enjoy the rest, even better. People act like it's 5 hours of fun in a 100 hour required game, when in reality it's 60+ hours of fun in a 60+ hour game, and the extra 100 hours+ are optional.

>I think most people can become attuned to that if they'd like, but they've been programmed to enjoy meaningless, brainless rewards every ten seconds rather than the zen of just wandering around a vast beautiful world
Probably the most enlightened thing that's been posted in this thread.

Attached: Wind-Waker-Header.png (1920x1080, 645K)

>tough monsters
That's a funny way of spelling damage sponges.

Most people disagree

>Any game that forces you to change up your play-style and do something else in order to bypass a problem is bad
Don't play games then, clearly you don't like light challenges that force you to think with a limited degree of creativity and curiosity

I remember the first time I played A link to the past on my own. I had watched my brother play it for days but he said it would be too difficult for me and I just watched.
But this day he was out partying with some friends, and I played and I played - and finally I arrived in the Lost Woods.
I had the three medallions and I was close to getting the master sword. And then the shift happens. The Lost Woods go from a foggy cramped, eerie place to sunshine shining from the tree crowns.
Nothing had captivated a experience like this to me before and it was the moment I really fell in love with video games.
No other Zelda has been able to recapture that feeling, Wind Waker came close. But Breath of the Wild hit the nail. At times it is like I am back as that kid, just staying in that world and taking it in.

>push rock, door opens
That was 100% of the puzzles in the classic Zelda games people keep gushing over

>Games should be enjoyable in and of themselves
I absolutely agree. Unfortunately BotW doesn't do that beyond the plateau and at that point it just hands you the same type of useless junk over and over again and expects you to be satisfied. If the shrines or combat were genuinely good content, you wouldn't hear nearly as many people saying combat should simply be skipped or that shrines were at best a tedious diversion to their real enjoyment of the game, which was exploration.
The problem for me is exploration loses its appeal once I realize that there's nothing worth exploring for, whether it be in the formal of tangible rewards or truly enjoyable gameplay. I don't know how anyone couldn't be a little miffed the moment they realized even all the divine beasts followed the same damn setup and formula. I was let down by them after only the first two and they were the Gerudo and and Zora ones, the Gorons and Rito were far worse.

they took no effort to clear puzzle-wise. also I never had to mess around with the physics because there were never any need. The Diving Beasts were fucking copy pasted in terms of looks and feel. They could've been a single dungeon for all that I care. They were boring as fuck.

This shit bugs me to no end
>looks like your melee weapon broke
>use bow to buy time
>try and change melee weapon and whoops, you are changing your bow now

Attached: read what.jpg (768x1024, 170K)

I do with you could remap the buttons. Love the game, but the controls screwed me over so many times

yes, but not 120 times over.

You might think you're better than a graphics fag but you really aren't.

Only Lynels are damage spongy, and they're fun as hell to fight because of the many different attacks they have. The rest tend to be about quick darting attacks and using openings you create. They're some of the best and most fun fights out there.

There's only like 8-10 rocks you can push in the whole game. You can also beat the whole game without getting the bracelet. They're actually one of the least utilized options in the game.

You clearly never played any of the classic zelda games
>but not 120 times over

A agree that they are not shit, but the could be improved, they should rethink especially the weapons. It's not a problem anymore for me, I enjoy the game even with broken weapon, but I feel this should adjust it's balance mechanics.

The rest is "battle to this far room, get a key, then go back and open a door"

Then don't do all 120 shrines. You certainly don't need to.

I have and it felt more worthwhile there, in botw it feels like a chore.
I have already done all the shrines, I don't shit on stuff unless I have given it a good try.

Because there were only 8-10 puzzles in the whole game. Unless you think using a bomb on a cracked wall or red/blue switch backtracking is a puzzle

Dude
>60-80 hours
What if you are literally walking? I did all of that in like 20 hours of game time, max. Hell I even went outta my way to go to shrines and get the master sword and fucken get all the sword trials after the first 2 beasts.
Where are you getting 60-80 hours for the divine beasts?

It is the most Zelda game since Zelda 1. No hand holding NPC's and the freedom to explore and discover the world without gimmicks or 'oh hey, go over here!' like in OOT or MM. Most of you have probably never played Zelda 1 so you would have no idea what I'm talking about, but this game was the purest form of Zelda we could get in the modern day. Player hate all you want, but it's true. Go play Zelda 1 and find out

It's good, having fun with the Linkle mod on CEMU.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 106K)

>I have and it felt more worthwhile there, in botw it feels like a chore.
Concession accepted

I disagree, I found most shrines fun ways to familiarise players with aspects of the mechanics in a non-linear fashion, and the Spirit Orbs were meaningful rewards. The only poorly designed shrines were the copy pasted Tests of Strength. They were terrible and a blight on the game. Exploration is the main enjoyment of the game but physics puzzles you could fuck-up were a smart addendum

>Change play style
Offering different weapons that haveing different weapons be better against specific enemies, that's changing up your play style. Picking up a cool weapon but then needing to horde it because it will break is not. Having a weapon you got from an enemy break before it kills the enemy is not. It's not a play style change, it's a trash chore mechanic

Besides if the game is all about being fun why would you force someone to play a way they don't want to play? Seems counter intuitive.

>The only shrines that repeat are the test of strength

Actually many of those shrines actually have subtle differences too. Some are covered in water allowing you to use cryonis and some have metallic panels in the floor which let you pull up pillars to use as a shield.

I love this entire series aside from SS, ST, PH, and Triforce Heroes.

and that difference takes about 2 seconds to grasp.

you definitely haven't played zelda 1, see

He's already touched upon all of these points, if you had been reading. But you wouldn't know that, since all you can do is repeat the same things over and over without adding anything meaningful to the conversation. We've come full circle; here I am

>the differences don't count because I understood what the intent was
?

>B-BUT I WANT TO KEEP THE COOL WEAPON
I'm sorry but this really is a childish perspective. It's not a chore at all, both the rain and weapon degradation are just ways for the game to actually have limitations for the player to work against. Games need that to be games

How weapons should have been done
Completing each divive beast gives you an elemental weapon that does not break but needs a recharge
Elephant gives a frost spear
Lizard gives a fire club
Bird gives the bow
Camel gives lightning sword
They all work just like the master sword they break but recharge. There you go, diversity in weapons a system the encourages you to use other wapons but it's not a fucking chore to do

>burn bushes
>follow NPC clue to trigger an event
>walk into walls
>bomb walls
>walk in a certain direction to trigger secret path
>hidden areas under stones/graves/enemies
>push blocks
>dark rooms requiring candle
>multiple ways to defeat half the enemies in the game
>half the items in the game are optional

Why are you talking about a game you obviously haven't played? Zelda 1 actually has more variety than most of the 3D games. The dungeons in 3D games actually do the "get key to open door" thing far more. In Zelda 1, it was just one of many mechanics. Prominent in some dungeons, ignored in others. And you could also avoid the locked doors in levels like 2, 5, 6, 7 and 9 with bombs.

Attached: zeldaforce.png (300x300, 16K)

more like
>why pretend that effort was put into design when it was clearly mentioned over lunch by the designers
If the shrines would have had different colours would've you praised the subtle differences that only a genius like yourself could appreciate?

So BotW took all of Zelda 1's flaws and made them better?

So does BoTW have dungeons or not? I'm not that far into it, and so far I've only done shrines. Im expecting dungeons to be used for boss fights.

I totally believe you did the towers, got the sword, beat all 4 beasts, and beat Ganon in 20 hours on your first playthrough with no guide. That's a really real thing that really happened, and should be considered as what the average player did, and so the game should be designed around such.

>it's the only thing Zelda 1 did!
>okay, well it wasn't the only thing, but it was done a lot!
>okay, it was actually very scarce so that's why it sucks!

Not the kind of dungeons you think of in a Zelda game. Just keep playing and you'll see.

While I like your idea in theory, the bow is too fundamental to limit to a beast playthrough. Maybe A bow, a good one, but not have it be the first/only bow they get

>Besides if the game is all about being fun why would you force someone to play a way they don't want to play?
Why don't you just admit you hate challenge already?

Attached: 1562701073215.png (712x517, 262K)

>dozens of random blind bomb and burn searches are required to progress
Yeah that's not good gameplay

No because that doesn't balance combat to the degree BotW does. It makes it so that both ranged and melee weapons are equally consumable resources, and using runes is an equally valid choice because they're less universally applicable (and have difficult janky gyro controls, like magnesis) but unlimited.

It really kind sucks that there likely won't be a Zelda game that unites the fans under a laregly agreed upon consensus ever again and each game will continue to alienate a different portion of the fanbase leading to people shitting on each other's favorite entries time and time again rather than agreeing to disagree after years of arguing.

attention to detail hands down. From design, to gameplay, to sound and music. Everything has gotten a lot of attention.

>colours
Stopped reading. USA language only please.

The game was literally 10x better once you got the master sword and trials of the sword finished because you could then ignore the worst mechanic of the game.

Your game has flaws and this thread is a testament to the fact that a lot of people don't agree with you. If I was the outlier why the fuck is this thread filled with more people against these mechanics then for it.
Yeah, I walked around found 2 of the 4 beasts, got tired of the weapon break bullshit, found out I need 2
13 hearts, got the master sword, then did the first trial, did the bird beast, did the second 2 trials and killed the cammel, now I'm just running around doing random side quests.

It has 4 kinda dungeons, and then the castle is absolutely a dungeon, and a very big and awesome one, at that.

Didn't even finish it. Quit after about 75 hours when I realized doing repetitive shrines and seeds wasn't fun or rewarding.

I have played Zelda 1. That post is comparing and contrasting the mechanical differences between BOTW and Zelda one, not the atmosphere and spirit. Even then, there's an argument to be made in that very post you directed me to that the mechanical differences are not all that different. Both actually do start out the same, in that you meet an old man to start the game and are dropped in the world from there. If that isn't a *wink* to Zelda 1 I don't know what is.

>world is small
>can only hold one potion
>only have one item that doesn't break

That was due to the technical limitations of the NES, not neccesarily a developers choice.

>Very well balanced in terms of difficulty, every heart and upgrade counts

Well now there is an argument that this poster has barely played BOTW. Every upgrade in BOTW counts, especially stamina. How obtuse could this poster be to think that health and stamina don't matter in BOTW?

>devoid of busy work filler

Opinion implying BOTW is full of busywork filler (It isn't).

But I'll bring us back to my original point. The spirit and atmosphere of BOTW is the closest thing we've had to Zelda 1 since... Zelda 1

Good thing my argument was invalid due to that, otherwise you would've had to argue against my point.

Maybe don't criticize actual well thought out puzzles and then defend "push rock to open door"

It makes the open world an actual mechanic.

It was for an NES game. Which didn't have that kind of freedom. And considering what Zelda did after that, it's still good. Very obvious cracks on the wall and no bushes to burn for the next 25 years was worse.

No I mean like you keep the current weapon system. But when you beat the divine beasts you get a special version of the weapon thats on a recharge.

>Challenge = fun
Sure it can but not always, something does not need to be challenging to be fun. And I enjoy the challenge of the game, but the difficulty quickly peeters off. And not liking a shit mechanic like weapon break does not mean I don't like a challenge, it means I'm not a brainlet that will defend a shitty mechanic because ninendo made it

Maybe don't mass generalize a game so badly that you get proven wrong?

It was actually invalid for other reasons but I refuse to argue with 3rd world shitposters that plague Yea Forums

>Yeah, I walked around found 2 of the 4 beasts, got tired of the weapon break bullshit, found out I need 2
>13 hearts, got the master sword, then did the first trial, did the bird beast, did the second 2 trials and killed the cammel, now I'm just running around doing random side quests.

So you haven't done 2 of the beasts, nor Ganon. Ergo, 20 hours is not enough. Good luck storming the castle!

>homicide rates of a war torn country
>somehow first world

please, wouldn't it be better to prove a third worlder than me wrong? or is it that reward to subtle for you to understand? Do you need instant gratification when discussing?

Then why not stop doing those things and go kill Ganon? Those are all optional.

No, it's not a good mechanic for any era of gaming

I was proven wrong?

Yeah, the tens of millions of people who liked it were all just wrong because you disliked it when you first tried the game last year.

No I killed Ruta, got the master sword did trial 1, killed the bird divine beast, did trials 2 and 3 then killed the other 2 beasts. I literally have all the beasts dead and I'm just running around with doing fetch quests because that's all thats left.

>This is a good 60-80 hours worth, though.
I beat the beasts in two sessions what are you talking about. I didn't realize I could upgrade my armor after the third one. I haven't really upgraded much I just avoid getting hit. My secondary quest log is fuckhuge but I've hit all of the towers on the map and I'm probably going to go after ganon next play session.

What country are you from?

>No I mean like you keep the current weapon system. But when you beat the divine beasts you get a special version of the weapon thats on a recharge.
I could dig that. Even just having the beasts give an element ability to the Master Sword and extending its durability would be sweet.

I thought that was irrelevant? only US matters?

>Your game has flaws and this thread is a testament to the fact that a lot of people don't agree with you.
I didn't make this game. Also there are a lot of flaws with the game, where did I say there wasn't? I've had fun arguing about specific things in the game I like that others don't, that doesn't somehow make me wrong or the other people right. Here's some flaws I can name now:
>Little enemy variety
>Not enough incentive to fight enemies in the overworld
>Copy paste combat shrines suck ass
>Ability to pause and heal yourself with unlimited items isn't good
>The story itself content-wise is borderline shit
>The aesthetic for shrines and Divine Beasts is repetitive
>English voice acting is terrible
>The final boss is lacklustre

Also have the memories finished, the only one I had to look up was that last pic you're because I legit could not find it.

Based

>People liked it so it's good
Make an actual argument.

>100% of the puzzles are push blocks
>someone proved that wrong
>well the only other mechanic is opening locked doors
>someone wrote a huge list of a dozen other mechanics
Yes. You were proven wrong. You don't have to like Zelda 1. But you also should stop lying about what it actually is. Because it kills any argument you have.

Go to it. Good luck! But don't think, even should you win, that your ability translates to the vast majority of people that games should be, and are, balanced/designed around.

it's godawful basically requires the claw grip and if you want to whistle sprint you have to double claw grip the controller like what the fuck

Well if must have been wrong because it was completely abandoned

Dude that woukd have been a god send. >

>I don't like it so it's bad
You first.

I literally do not believe that you did all those first playthrough, no guides, in under 20 hours. Just finding all of that takes a while.

another annoying thing about combat to me is if you use 2h and want to block you have to tap b for a second to sheath and then block with a shield constantly.

>actual dungeons and content are "flaws"

Attached: zoomer.png (434x327, 32K)

If you don't care about fucking around and focus on everything then it's not that implausible.

South American?

Right? Imagine a 4x durability MS with lightning in the castle. So much fun. Hell, I'd sit there waiting for a blood moon to romp through again.

>every Zelda since has used some variation of Zelda 1's mechanics
>Breath of the Wild reintroduced all the mechanics in 3D
>abandoned

Attached: sakura_eto.jpg (400x478, 41K)

(You)

Nope, not even the right continent. Let's just say that homicide and crime is lower and that education and happiness is higher.

tap the wall with your sword

Not really, when they have massive beacons on them, if you ignore the pointless side quests of which only like a handful are good to do, it's not a long game.
Yeah which honestly is why I never use a 2 H except for fighting the rock dudes then a hammer makes them die super fast

>blind burning and bombing to progress was a frequent mechanic in later games
No?

they give you bomb arrows for the beasts just don't miss in the beginning and then you have a pile of bomb arrows to destroy the boss with. everything else in the dungeon can be beat with regular arrows or just your bombs.

Yet you are embarrassed to mention its name on an anonymous forum. Ebin.

>Europe
>crime lower
>happiness higher
European countries are actually leading in suicides and crime per capita in first world countries. Your media just doesn't talk about it endlessly like American media does.

>having several thousand rupees ever
I'm guessing you buried them in your backyard too, huh?

More like never opened the 4th fairy shrine or got the guardian gear outfit, I'd assume.

Hm... sounds like they're trying to distract from something at home....

It's more like it wouldn't give you any information, It's not like you know any countries besides your own.
No, that's just a lie. suicides I believe, but not crimes. It's more like your country literally have no laws forcing media to be objective.

how do you fight the rock dudes with a hammer I thought you just shot at the mining node with arrows. 2H is really good for the stuff like hinox also combat challenges when they do the spinny lazer thing shoot them with a electric arrow and it gives you a huge opening to do a 2h spin attack and chew up a bunch of hp

Shoot it with the arrow, and you can climb on its back, target the node by holding left trigger and then charge a power attack with the hammer.
You spin when you charge a hammer attack and you can drain it's whole health bar in a single move.

>3rd world shitter is obsessed with toxic /pol/ conspiracies
How is this always proven true?

Regular mass shootings isn't a conspiracy, user. It's a fact of American life

shit I never thought about climbing one

Keep hiding, obsessed faggot

My greedy as wanted the ore, I literally found it by accident, I dropped down on the ore and all of a sudden I was moving, I ree'ed, targeted and swung

>he actually believes the US MSM
homicides are fucking halved since the 50s dipshit

Kek. Eat that propaganda more jim-tom.

because you can climb sheer faces
this is literally the number one reason

mmm. tasty new pasta.

Attached: Captain_Ramen.jpg (1200x1200, 207K)

today i wanted to farm a dragon for parts,
i tried to make a fire so i dropped some wood and shot it with a fire arrow
but it did not work, because it was raining
so i had to wait for the rain to stop so i could sleep
sure i could have searched for cover but thats not the point im trying to make

Attached: botw is a 10.png (1024x764, 603K)

>words words words words
Why can't they meme?

Attached: 1505931462267.jpg (700x913, 111K)

why IS the framerate so bad in some areas?

Based.

Attached: 1538349887285.png (768x432, 661K)

This, rain is a fucking stupid mechanic in the game, it only serves to slow you down

Notice how he said per capita. The USA does have more crimes in total. But when you have a country with 380 million people compared to a country with 10 million people, you can't compare totals. You have to compare percentages. And Europe is leading the world in suicide rates. Especially by men. It's almost like there's something in European society making men isolated and depressed...nah. Identity politics is just a "right wing" conspiracy...

worldpopulationreview.com/countries/suicide-rate-by-country/

>It's almost like there's something in European society making men isolated and depressed
And that is....?

lmao this high-tier mental illness right here folks.

For me, the best way I could describe it would be like an actual adventure in a large open world. Everything felt alive, especially playing it without fast travel the first time, moving throughout the world felt natural. And despite the stupid memes, the game really does look good when your playing it. It was a pretty immersive game for me when I was playing it. I always had the desire to explore.

Fast travel should be restricted until the end in the sequel, I feel when you play without it, the experience is much more fluent I feel.

Yeah and the user also talked about crimes

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country
>America 89
>Between al third world countries
kek

I thought the shrines were spaced apart well enough that fast-travel didn't cheapen exploration

>5 per 100,000
>most west-european countries are below 2
More than twice as much. But it's totally lies that Europe is safer than America!

That propaganda is really working, isn't it?

but when you're rewarded with a cool weapon like the flame sword for solving the riddle, it will break far too soon to be meaningful
why on earth would an iron sword for example break after you hit a Bokoblin 5 times? it doesn't make any sense

every time I had a sense of wonder and went to discover and explore something, I'd get a Korok seed, it was never anything more than that and it felt like shit

All the lies. As anons have pointed before about the crime statistics, that was clearly a lie.
Here, a happiness index where basically the entirety of Europe is at the top. America is also pretty great in terms of happiness, but not even close to most western European countries.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report#2019_World_Happiness_Report

because you can climb everything

Literally read the next sentence.

Are you unable to comprehend facts? Is that why you are laughing nervously?

Your own source literally states this;
>Perhaps surprisingly, many of the most troubled nations in the world have comparatively low suicide rates.
Probably because people are too busy surviving, they won't even think about suicide. Generally, nations that do well and have on average a happy population have higher suicide rates. Go figure why USA has a lower suicide rate.

user, you need to get out of your country sometimes. It's really not as great as the propaganda keeps telling you.

>west-european
Oh sweetie, you didn't just cherry pick did you?

It's a solid 7/10.

I also enjoyed my warpless run. It makes you have to ride your horse around and plan out your route if you're going somewhere, which is a nice immersive experience, but I can just imagine how much most people would complain if they were required to do this. It's a lot like sailing in Wind Waker.

>complains about weapons breaking
>complains about the mechanic that lets you carry a fuck ton of weapons
>b-b-but muh rewardz!!!!!!!!
Lmao

>only koroks and shrines
Blatant lie
>enemies
Fair complaint, should have been more
>Breakable weapons
Not inherently bad, pros and cons
>Final Boss/bosses
All fine, all different, just similar from a design perspective. Final boss is rather easy, but the last segment isn't meant to be a challenge and is more of an interactive triumphant moment with the first phase clearly acting as the real fight.
>Dungeons boring and the same
All pretty different mechanically, but yeah I would prefer a more diverse selection theme wise.
>Story
Light, could have had some more, but it isn't bad in the least
>Empty world
Plethora of things to find, outside of the countless shrines which are in fact content
>Framerate
Never had an issue

Shut the fuck up.

>user, you need to get out of your country sometimes
No need to ever leave the USA

>UHH UHHHH HOW DO I RESPOND TO THIS
UHHHHH 97
UHH COPE
UHHHHHHH SEETHING
>GOT EM

see

>It is the most Zelda game since Zelda 1.
This opinion is shit and whoever spews it is shit. All other Zelda games share more in common with the first Zelda than BotW does. Just because the two have an open world doesn't mean they're "more Zelda" than the rest.

The problem is all of these are very valid complaints, and many people have voiced their oppinion but you have people that defend the game saying it's 10/10 no question

>let me discuss BotW in BotW thread #29585848282818
Just as pathetic desu

see

>All other Zelda games share more in common with the first Zelda than BotW does
They don't though
>b-but there's item gating
Nowhere near to the same degree as later games

>it just didn't feel rewarding to me!
Why would anybody waste time seriously replying to such a shitpost?

Beat it on CEMU with some cool graphic packs and it's still average in literally everything except maybe game physics. 7/10 at best.

And I had already refuted those points if you had been reading. Besides, we're essentially arguing over whether or not we found these things disappointing and neither of us are willing to back down so it's a useless discussion anyway.

What can you find in the world? How many unique and hidden items are there?

the idea of Link carrying 50-odd weapons is stupid, and I like holding onto weapons that were difficult to obtain like in any good game with character progression

Great story, combat, freedom, exploration, couple that with innovative climbing and you got a GOAT game

>and I like holding onto weapons that were difficult to obtain
Autism

>to music
lol

Is there an actual RPG with less enemy variety?

pleb filter.

Can't wait for BotW 2, where Yea Forums will cry again about it

do you know what the Master Sword is, user?

And I can't wait for the next Zelda game after that so fans will cry again. Like they've been doing since after OoT.

>doesn’t find a higher mountain to paraglide to your destination from

Plenty of cool quests/things to find. Don't need to have a specific item linked to them either
Some examples
>Shadow forest
>Sea village
>Survival Island
>Mountain Dragon
>Demon statue
>Sledding cabin
>Bowling
>Mountain spirit
>Horse God
>Monster store

The weapon that puts you seething crybabies to rest

Proper dungeons and item progression alone make it more similar to the other Zelda games than BotW. Literally the only thing the two have in common is the open world, while the first Zelda shares everything else with all other Zeldas.

>buy switch pre owned
>person left his account on there
>got the DLC for free
The only reason that made me want to buy the game

I can't wait to say "Why the fuck did they put in shitty dungeons and take out the weapon durability mechanic? Now I hate this game and love Breath of the Wild!" along with the rest of Yea Forums every day until the next game comes out after that.

You DO realize that it's different people talking about each individual game right? I really don't believe in this Zelda cycle nonsense.

The "cycle" does exist. However, it applies to all popular series, not just Zelda. When a new game comes out, the constrarians, trolls and nostagia blind fags all hate it. Because that's how our society has evolved. You have to either blindly love something or blindly hate it. Everything is an extreme with no middle ground. Because the sensible centrist gets ignored.

I didn't either, but these "It's not a REAL Zelda game/It didn't FEEL rewarding" criticisms are so plainly covering up a "popular new game bad" mentality that it's impossible to deny.

It's whatever, at this point. The Zelda series has been going through this since the 2000's. Just enjoy what you enjoy and ignore all the incessant ultimately fruitless arguing because you're never going to convince someone that hates WW and thinks it's an unfinished piece or shit that it's a good game. After a while it ceases to become arguing and just devolves into two immovable objects repeatedly shitting on each other. Waste of fucking time.

Sure, it's not perfect, but it's damn, damn good. Even 10/10 never means 100% perfect, because it's not possible to perfect for every single person ever. If they were actually discussing things honestly it'd be a different story, but so many clearly have never played it and simply spout lies or memes; others claim that because it's not 100% perfect for top 1% tier players, it's utter shit; and yet other claim even the few problems it has make it complete shit. Never really anything worthwhile, most claim Shit, a few will try and appear reasonable by claiming it's 7/10, which is ridiculous. But the undeniable truth is: 97. It may be YOUR personal 7/10, but then you lack the awareness to really rate games, as proven by the vast majority. Clearly it's not made perfectly for you, but that doesn't make it 7/10 for everyone else. And nobody seems to recognize that at all, just scream that they are the only arbiter of truth about it, and everyone else is stupid and wrong.

on the Great Plateau you could make a stretch and say it's a 97, which is what I'm convinced most journos did (and 10 of that 97 is the Zelda bonus), but after that it does become a 7.5/10 at absolute best

I'd wager that 90% of journos didn't go beyond 10 hours

>I reject reality and substitute my own

I'm not the user you're responding to but I just wanted to say that I've been play vidya since the ATARI days and I feel quite confident in saying that BotW is hands-down one of the best video games I've ever played.

Its not perfect. But its pretty fucking close. And having a company like Nintendo still painstakingly hand-crafting single-player adventures on this scale, of this quality, is something to be celebrated.

In nearly 3 years, I've never seen anyone make a convincing argument against the game.

Attached: 1537176178486.png (900x506, 628K)

If we're going purely by 3D games, the game is better than WW, TP, and SS. But it's not on the level of OoT or MM.

>I've never seen anyone make a convincing argument against the game

lack of enemy variety, that's a start, especially when compared to other Zelda titles
shrines being repetitive
weapon breaking is tedious
Korok seeds are underwhelming
boss fights are weak
lack of proper themed dungeons

So, just making things up to justify your own feelings. "They didn't actually play it, Nintendo Bonus, paid reviews, conspiracy!" Makes you totally credible.

It's easy to say that nobody has ever made a convincing argument when you call people snoys and trannies every 5 seconds, or spam the same metacritic scores over and over.

>lack of enemy variety
I recently played Spiderman on PS4 - another modern open world game. Literally EVERY goon it the game is exactly the same. There NO variety all. Most games are like this. You think repaints are different enemies when in actual fact the AI behind them makes them all behvae exactly the same. BotW far more variety with actual different AI in comparison.
>shrines being repetitive
Your opinion isn't a fact
>weapon breaking is tedious
See above
>Korok seeds are underwhelming
Compared to other open world games which have NOTHING.
>boss fights are weak
Yeah, I'll give you that. But how does this ruin the entire game?
>lack of proper themed dungeons
You want the game to be something it isn't. You might as well slate every other Zelda game for lacking in the overworld department compared BotW.

>Compared to other open world games which have NOTHING.

play RDR2

>play RDR2

Attached: 1555967554017.png (1485x900, 320K)

now you've devolved into the level of autism you seem to hate

Journalists don't have the time to drop 80 hours into every game dude. They need to get in and get out so they can move on to reviewing the next game. BotW is incredibly frontloaded and its opening area is easily the most enjoyable part of the game. It's not hard to put two and two together.

Attached: 757586.jpg (343x340, 30K)

Not if it's actually good.

cope

Attached: 1493149861295.jpg (700x913, 110K)

Dude it has one of the most complex combat systems in a Zelda game. Your critique comes across as a list of nitpicks of someone trying to find fault with the game

>whataboutism
At the very least use other Zelda games for your whataboutisms. Oh wait, that would hurt your argument, not help it.

yeah witcher won a ton of awards too and it wasn't even as good as mgsv

Attached: 1562762716960.jpg (3840x2160, 3.41M)

.....whats the problem? id rather just get the heart piece then sit through a shitty shrine and loading screens

complex =/= good
Other Zelda games actually have meaningful combat set up as their challenges/puzzles you have to overcome. In BotW you can skip literally everything but the bosses and you'll be rewarded for it in the form of not being OP as fuck by the time you take on Ganon or any Blights.

Not them, but I've never expected to convince any fanboys. I only criticize BotW in the hopes that nintendo realizes that not everybody mindlessly sucks its dick and that there are substantial improvements they can make in the sequel.

Mindlessly taking a contrarian stance is as bad as mindlessly praising something.

Honestly, listening to the fanbase is part of the reason Zelda has been as divisive as it has been for nearly 2 decades.

But your whole argument was about combat variety you fucking sped. More complexity opens more combat encounter styles.

Agreed.

>BotW's combat mechanics aren't better because you don't HAVE to engage in combat
Terrible argument. Whether or not you engage in combat has nothing to do with how well-designed the combat is. Regardless, very few people would try to skip all the combat in the game like you suggested, because most people don't want to avoid fun parts of a video game.

>Other Zelda games actually have meaningful combat set up as their challenges/puzzles you have to overcome. In BotW you can skip literally everything but the bosses and you'll be rewarded for it in the form of not being OP as fuck by the time you take on Ganon or any Blights.
This is literally just a consequence of the Open World design and not intrinsically bad. Frankly I like that not all of BOTW's fights are staged and on rails.

>game promotes cross dressing and homosex

Nah

>Mindlessly taking a contrarian stance is as bad as mindlessly praising something.

Attached: 1566010405421.jpg (378x378, 15K)

>he thinks anybody is going to read this blatantly false narrative

You didn't even play it.

go back to your steven king novels lol

I'm a different user bro. I should've made that clear.

>because most people don't want to avoid fun parts
Of course. If they were fun. But combat in BotW gets tedious extremely quickly from the low enemy variety, to plethora of ways to cheese encounters, to the inverse difficulty curve, to combat existing purely to perpetuate a cycle of breaking and acquiring weapons, etc. Shortly after the plateau it becomes obvious you're better off skipping encounters than wasting your time with them.

>I'm a different user bro. I should've made that clear.

Attached: 0ce47ea1448c5cb32bc85e02665e6ad6e3949ab2bba86ee96d740c8a70329cb3.png (740x724, 37K)

Nah, it's been divisive because they keep fucking up a simple tried and tested formula by adding gimmicks, handholding, endless tutorials, etc. BotW fixed a lot of the problems that WW, TP, and SS had, but it threw out the baby with the bathwater in the process. It's obvious why a lot of people would hate that.

>OoT was what fans wanted, and was welcome
>MM wasn't what fans wanted, and was unwelcome, then welcome
>WW wasn't what fans wanted, and was unwelcome, then welcome, except on Yea Forums
>TP was what fans wanted, and was welcome, then unwelcome, then... divisive?
>SS wasn't what fans wanted, and was unwelcome
>BotW was what fans wanted, and was welcome, except on Yea Forums
The only pattern to this shit is that there is no pattern.

I just read their post and all they said was it lacked enemy variety, which is absolutely true, so I have no idea why you think saying the combat is complex invalidates that.

>except on Yea Forums
Nothing is ever "except on Yea Forums". I can't count the number of times I've heard people say this elsewhere, like gamefaqs.

BOTW is literally Yea Forums's favorite 3d zelda

Attached: 658856856.jpg (680x561, 68K)

>I just read their post and all they said was it lacked enemy variety, which is absolutely true, so I have no idea why you think saying the combat is complex invalidates that.

Attached: 015.png (434x327, 37K)

Not like we have a thousand different polls with different results every time. It's almost like if you create a strawpoll in a thread discussing the game, said game will come out on top.

Not to sure where this notion is that Yea Forums as a collective whole dislikes a Zelda game. The only game you could say that of is probably SS.

And really, if they kept things the same and just just a straight OoT clone with no gimmicks there'd still be lots of complaining about playing it too safe and everything that goes with it (not being good as the original, doesn't have the magic or th original, reusing ideas instead of new concepts, etc, etc).

SEETHING

OoT is 20 years old, so people expect some modern advancements. That said, stripping out all the trash and going back to what made OoT so successful would at least be a good start.

>SEETHING

Attached: 80c.png (645x729, 58K)

How many of these do you have in your collection?