Why do we hate raytracing again?

Why do we hate raytracing again?

Attached: wd legion.webm (1280x720, 2.68M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uVP1xQqE0Ik
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_illumination
youtube.com/watch?v=XeT39sxKgjI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: wd legion2.webm (1280x720, 2.47M)

Nice but not worth 1200 dollary doos

We don't. True gamers always upgrade to the latest Nvidia and Intel hardware.

It looks great but AMD and Nvidia colluding again to push high end cards over the 1k price point for minimal improvements aside from raytracing is disappointing.

This is mostly what's happening

Got a 2080 and honestly i prefer SSR for reflections. Yeah they arent as accurate but they dont take away 60% of our performance either and they look good enough unless you stand still staring at a puddle of water.

>Generic Western Open World Game #531

Doesnt look like anything worth upgrading for.

GUYS REAL TIME MIRROR AND REFLECTION SYSTEMS GAMING IS SAVED.

Attached: Luigimansionmirror.gif (500x374, 357K)

Because technology is a gimmick until it becomes mainstream. Talking about the next big thing is a waste of my time and buying emergent technology for inflated costs isn't worth being able to say "I did it before you" to me.

no idea what it is so it must be a gimmick to trick people into paying more for something

>one tiny mirror (duplicate room)
vs
>an entire fucking city

>we anything
>we
die

It does look nice. Does anyone know how it works on translucent surfaces, i.e. windows into accessible interiors? Do you see inside and a slight bit of the reflection like IRL? or can they only do it on puddles and "wall" surfaces?

>splits your frame rate in half
>but lookey at the shiny light and reflections!!
No thanks.

I'd rather have a detailed room than an enpty city

Attached: ChokeHonk.jpg (1944x2592, 1.61M)

>Hating Ray Tracer.
Mate...

Attached: Ray_Tracer_3.jpg (800x600, 56K)

>detailed room
kek

The rest of the game doesn't look as good as the reflections so it looks off

I'd rather Ray Trexit

That’s the thing, they don’t do mirrors since that gen, because it takes too many resources now

We don't
Sour grape poorfags hate it
The rest of the poorfags are just waiting for it to get cheaper

it's worthless shit created to cuck amd cards just like phys-x and gameready. Just nvidia's old tricks. That's all it is.

Also it's to cuck their older cards as well in a attempt to get suckers to buy their new cards.

it looks pretty good

Attached: 6a72ab8c3c66c47922cad74aae3685b7.jpg (1914x1006, 880K)

nobody does, its just stupid to pay hundreds of extra dollars for something that only works on a handful of games. when raytracing/rtx is something that game engines offer by default (i.e. devs can be lazy and click the "yes raytraced lighting/shadows" button) then we will start seeing it widespread enough to warrant the extra hardware cost

Ray Tracing has been around longer than you've been alive kid.

just more Nvidia making exclusive shit to fuck AMD over and get a monopoly
boring and useless

>London
>white man
which marvel cinematic universe is this?

>comparing raytracing to physx
luuuul

How to impress the internet with graphics:
>set it at night
>make the ground wet
>Make everything shiny

What is raytracing?

Attached: catto.jpg (540x540, 49K)

dios mio

>enter brightly coloured area
>character model doesn't reflect that
yeah rtx sure is fantastic

What is your life when you can't even wiki
>In computer graphics, ray tracing is a rendering technique for generating an image by tracing the path of light as pixels in an image plane and simulating the effects of its encounters with virtual objects. The technique is capable of producing a very high degree of visual realism, usually higher than that of typical scanline rendering methods, but at a greater computational cost.

dummy

a meme just like hairworks

yeah in the future they should remove day/night cycles and weather from games so autists dont cry about reflections looking good

Because I like games that do more than look nice. It has to play good or I won't bother with it.

thats called global illumination, user

Attached: dying light rtx.jpg (2380x2535, 2.69M)

but the first one looks more realistic

oh shit i havent thought about this guy in 20 years

Because nobody can afford it. Raytracing is huge, but since Yea Forums doesn't know shit about graphics they think it's useless.

I forgot he even existed until I re-watched the series last month. It still holds up.

but it does?

Attached: 82f4f79dfef33539be134fe581101279.png (388x323, 243K)

i give it 3 years until everything under 240fps is deemed unplayable.

Woah are those reflections the Power Of Nvidia™ RTX™ brings?

flashlights dont work like the bottom pic. This is your mind of fucking PC gaming

Acknowledging a good post.

Attached: Reboot-cartoon-series.jpg (970x545, 119K)

Whoops, meant for

>Game companies feel pressured to add ray tracing into their games now
>Let's put puddles everywhere!
Some games like OP's pic make it look natural, but watch Synced Off World gameplay and you'll see what I mean

This is your mind on never having used a flashlight.

Attached: f02502b37992e0a07a4d7d59c63c3dae.jpg (1260x1619, 450K)

It's just another symptom of shitty devs focusing on "muh graficks" while gameplay will be kicked aside.
Sure it makes them more money, but I want my games to last.

I don't think anyone is feeling pressured to incorporate it.

no those are cubemaps from the peasant trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=uVP1xQqE0Ik

Wtf is this, your hovel or something?

In the bottom pic, the engine seems to be the source of illumination. You can even see it throwing shadows behind his boots, its ridiculous.

Remnant must have because that was one of the supposedly RTX supported games that were announced at the launch of the RTX cards. Now there's nothing in Remnant about RTX and I can't find anything online about the features.

waste of resources. If you got a super computer that runs 4k/60fps with max setting and still resources left then go for it, if not then there are more important things than that resource hog.

>LODon

flashlights can conceivably work both ways depending on the projection of the light

Fair enough, disregarding the games that Nvidia touted as having the technology and supporting their platform.

the source of the illumination is supposed to be the light of the flashlight reflecting off everything else in the scene. I do agree it kinda doesn't look great, but there may actually be some other light source off screen or something idk.

Not entirely sure why you can't have them both on in some games. You can take enhanced reflections and lighting (which in some games makes it look kinda worse) with severely downgraded performance or enhanced performance and still good graphics.

>literally doesn't understand how light works
go outside

have you?

Attached: 050_beamroom.jpg (2832x2128, 235K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_illumination

I'm not watching your trailers mr. shill.

>nigger dogs
>ubisoft
>raytracing
>nvidia
you couldn't make it any worse could you?

I don't hate it, I just don't need it to play my Eroge VN's.

its the light bouncing around bcs of the metal generator

flashlights at that distance dont create a small circle, with everything else being pitch black. the bottom pic is more realistic in terms of how its illuminated, just the red color is a little overdone

youtube.com/watch?v=XeT39sxKgjI

just buy it

Attached: gdnvidia.png (991x695, 76K)

Why is that white window shutter gleaming like that? Why does everything have to be reflective? It looks less realistic and it's just distracting. If it's metal like that lamp on the left or the clasp on the shutter then it's fine. Is it supposed to imply that the white window shutter is really glossy?

I was expecting a jumpscare.

Watch Dogs 2 (outside of the story and dialogue) was pretty good. Ubisoft only suck at making unique mechanics and optimization now.

Why is that black man trying to steal a lawnmower?

why does realism looks less impressive the better it gets?

I'm literally more impressed by pixel shit sprites than this.

Attached: 1566246103772.jpg (1106x1012, 70K)

Attached: kvetching.png (933x525, 232K)

It's all about art direction.

Games that try to look realistic... will look boring.

Not to mention illegal

JUST

because you're paying extra money to brick your performance so you get slightly better reflections that you will barely notice after the 3rd or 4th puddle just so that nvidia can crowdfund the feature into something remotely decent in a few years time
early adopter retard tax to the extreme

Every time someone posts pepe I just think they're an ugly human being with no speck of sincerity left in their being and every post they make is just an excuse to browse their pepe/wojak folder to post another fucking edit of their favourite shit meme.

Game graphics are following the way of art paintings. Being able to paint life like paintings of scenary and buildings used to popular but once cameras came around, they stopped being popular and impressive since a camera could do the same thing. It's the reason why Hitler was rejected from art school. Hitler's paintings looked decent but all of it was just boring buildings and didn't have any type of flair or stylistic trait to it that people were looking for.

>I'm literally more impressed by pixel shit sprites

It's because it forces you to interact with it more, and meet it half-way. That's why a game like Pokemon Gold for the original GB can be so much more immersive for people than a game like, say, Assassins Creed, or GTA. Because you are forced to interact with it and use your imagination which creates a better experience for you, the player. This is, in some respects, what posters mean when they say a game has 'soul'

nothing is that reflective in real life

ok

Attached: 139661_00_2x.jpg (1184x789, 401K)

i still cant believe this was real

fake

BUY

This guy doesn't even know what opportunity cost even means
there is no opportunity cost related to buying an item which is only going to be improved when they release it's replacement 2 years from now

look at that blurry muddy ass sidewalk texture, devs should be shamed

It's nowhere near being worth the performance hit. I've got a fucking 2080, and the framerate dips to sub-30fps at times when I turn raytracing on.

i miss reboot

You should've bought 2 2080s and overclocked both

more like brightness off / on

I don't hate it, it looks pretty and it's the future of light rendering in vidya, but right now it's not worth the performance hit. Kind of like how dynamic shadows were back in the day, I used to disable them all the time because the game would run better.

based creatura poster

Attached: 1560741645078.png (1382x1262, 2.68M)

stop shilling your dogshit video

>walk over water
>no splashes
>drive over water
>no splashes
But its okay since it has raytracing.

i want raytraced reflections of individual water droplets flying through the sky and i will pay $5000 for it

gameplay hasn't really been kicked aside. They're just giving the audience what they want, more of the same with minor improvements.
For example Watchdogs (or any ubisoft game) combined stealth, racing, shooting, fighting and the kitchen sink into one game because those are the games that sell.