Top or bottom

top or bottom.

Attached: file.png (1280x1300, 2.92M)

bottom

Too for gameplay and music, bottom for literally everything else.

Does that include more likeable party members?

Attached: file.png (404x446, 224K)

They're different genres you can't compare them

Top. I've moved on from turn based gameplay ages ago.

Turn based was fine back then when technology was shitty. But in 2019... nope.

Turn based was fine then and it's fine now. especially when it's expanded upon like in the SMT series.
I'd gladly take on a classic Tried and Trusted Turn based RPG game in the year 2019 instead of some half baked "Action"-Rpg like FFXV.

Top. Always.

both are excellent games. top is fast paced action, wild story and is a lot of fun to play. bottom is for autists who like to explore, collect, test builds, and relax.

which has the more likeable party members.
A comfy cast is quintessential to a good Jrpg.

Was actually thinking in asking on top, is previous entries knowledge necessary?

Top's "fast paced action" gets boring really fast. It's literally button mashing.

Top, not even comparable.

ehh...that's a tough question. I'd have to say DQ only because Falcom leans very heavily on animu tropes for their characters but therein lies the problem.

DQXI characters are very well written and nuanced. There personalities are unique and this isn't always a good thing because it takes a long time to kind of get to know them and what they're about. And they don't often agree exactly, whereas Ys 8 characters are safe, familiar characters you can almost instantly fall in with. So it depends on if you want to build up relationships over a long journey or just get comfy real quick and beat on shit.

bottom, fuck nis and their subpar trash.

Top. Ys has still got it.

yet the protag is rehashed constantly and you're expected to know everything about the other games in order to understand him. Fuck y's it was a c tier game 20 years ago and it's devolved into pure button mashing today.

>first playthrough
DQ.
>Subsequent playthroughs
Ys, assuming we're talking the expanded versions.

what in the fuck are you talking about? Ys games barely even have a story. It's held together by a handful of dialogue lines from one game to the next. You can play any Ys game in any order, you're missing virtually nothing. Most games are only a few hours long with minimal dialogue and plot.

play a tales of game instead then

Didn't play bottom yet but I loved the fuck out of Top, good gameplay and crazy story.

let me add that both games' protags are self-insert characters. They're just for the player to feel like he's part of the action. Neither one really have much of a personality and I think Ys 8 was the first game where Adol voiced any dialogue.

What would you recommend.

Not really. They're loosely connected as far as overall lore but you can start pretty much anywhere you want.

vesperia or berseria are both on pc
vesperia is a bit dated but it's still highly regarded

I adore both but YS needs to go back. The best games in the series were before it had a party system and was more danmaku based.

Attached: b00119_ph09-680x453.jpg (680x453, 76K)

Bottom no contest.

bottom of course lol

Tales is the epitome of a mediocre rpg and I've played every one of them. Tales of ves or hearts R are the best games in the series.

Top. I normally like turn based RPG's more than ARPGs, but holy fucking shit DQ11 is one of the slowest and most boring ones I've played since FF8

That's what the Dana dungeons are for.

But user I want to play as based chad Adol. With controls that take timing and skill.

Dragon Quest all day everyday. Party Ys games are trash.