Hi Yea Forumsirgins

Hi Yea Forumsirgins.
What's the best way to play the Metal Gear Solid series in 2019?

I have a PC and a PS4 and I want to play through 1-5....

Attached: mgs1234.png (350x333, 197K)

play them in release order
>MGS1 - emulate the ps1 version
>MGS2 - HD version is fine although it does remove some minor features from the ps2 original
>MGS3 - same as the above. also play metal gear 2 which is bundled with this game, it's really good
>MGS4 - only on ps3 unless you're able to handle emulating it, also a bad game so who cares
>MGS5 - pc version is the best version of the game outside of the already bad online stuff being ruined by hackers. so just skip playing this one

reminder this series triggers splinter cell and thief cucks.

So there's no need to play the last 2 games?
What if I want to learn more in regards to the story?
Any of the side games you would recommend?

you will NEED a PS3, so might just as well go buy one. Then, go get the MGS Legacy Collection for it, as it has ALL the canon games released before MGSV; 8 games in total. Play them in the RELEASE ORDER.

After that, just stop. MGSV was shit.

>What if I want to learn more in regards to the story?
mgs 1-3 and metal gear 2 form a complete story. 4 and 5 either answer stuff that was deliberately not explained, explains stuff in way more detail than was needed, or make up new shit

>Any of the side games you would recommend?
acid 2 if you have a tolerance for card games and anime. ghost babel. peace walker is technically considered a mainline MGS game but it's generally just mgs5 but not as good gameplay with a somewhat more interesting story.

and if it counts, revengence is a better version of mgs4 in terms of story

Ignore that moron.
For starters, there is way more games than just that.

In the order of release, it's:
Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, MGS2, MGS3, MGS: Portable Ops, MGS4, MGS: Peace Walker, MGS5: Ground Zeroes, and finally MGSV: The Phantom Pain.

There would be a handful of spinoffs too, like MG: Ghost Babel, AC!D 1-2, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeange, but those can be enjoyed at just about any point (besides MGR, which should be only played after beating MGS4).

If you want to follow the story and lore in any way (both which are kinda FUCKING BIG DEAL in the series), you absolutely need to play them all, in the order of the release.
Up to you if you wanna play the 2D MG games, but especially MG2:SS is kickass. Still, many folks do start with the first MGS instead, and it is the quintessential title in the whole "Solid" saga. Great game too, that comes with OK summaries of MG1 and 2 in the main menu as well.

I'd say that the lazy way to get most of the MGS' epicness is to play at least these:
MGS1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> PW.
I'm not a fan of the MGS5 games, but GZ is definitely more "MGS" than the TPP, which is just an unfinished game. If you ask me, PW did a way better "finale" to its MC's saga. You can just check the V's trailers and create your superior head canon for the gap between PW and OG games.

based answer

MGS4 is actually good and have one of the best scenes in a series. Haters just angry bc it's still a PlayStation exclusive. You can check it by how pcfags was hype for emulation and port begging.

Attached: 8xsss1lk5je31.png (500x300, 273K)

>What's the best way to play the Metal Gear Solid series in 2019?
RELEASE. ORDER.

MGS1-2-3-4-PW-GZ-TPP.

You CAN skip the first two 8-bit Metal Gear games. MGS1 has the summaries of them in main menu.

Get PS3 + Legacy Collection to get the WHOLE SERIES.

MGS1, being PS1 game, can be easily emulated if you're so cheap. The rest don't emulate well at all.

The games are fun, challenging, full of TECHNOLOGY, look and sound great, and the plot's both ridiculous and engaging at the same time. Expect a wide variety of emotions while playing the games

Attached: Order to play MGS games.jpg (2664x3824, 2.15M)

Is there any game more frustratingly and weirdly console bound of the previous gen?

Having a PS3 is the easiest way to play the whole shebang since the entire main series is on it and the HD versions of 2, 3, and PW are pretty good.
You can emulate 1-3 and PW pretty well. 4 has just now started to boot in-game in emulation, it's going to be a while before you're going to be able to emulate it without problems. MGSV has a great PC port, it plays well on PS4 but PC has modding options to make the game slightly less of a slog.

Too many Japanese games to count desu

MGS1 is the only Playstation game I can't seem to emulate well. What's your setup?

What emulator are you using that you can't play MGS1 well?

Some pre-packaged epsxe .zip I found that already had all the BIOS in it. I only needed the emulator for FF7 so I don't really have any knowledge about PS1 emulation in particular.

I've played it just fine on ePSXe.
For 15 years.

Attached: SH1 ePSXe graphic settings - Pete's OpenGL 1.77.png (1469x535, 567K)

>MGS: Portable Ops
Not canon

Attached: 1426777739729.gif (141x141, 483K)

it is '''''kinda''''' canon, but sux

The game is alright, but Peace Walker retconned a lot of shit from Portable Ops.

and thank GOD for that.
PO's responsible for most of the silly shit in 4 thru' 5.

I unironically like Portable Ops more than Peace Walker
They both have horrible stories but I like how Portable Ops actually has you utilizing the soldiers you get beyond making a number going up.

Just get a PS3 honestly

If you mean Zero being the founder of The Patriots, then that was always planned in MGS3.
>Who are the Patriots?
La-li-lu-le-lo.

good for you. The game's shit, and PW improved it in EVERY single way.

>a literal in-lore JOKE is turned into srs-bsnss truth
That's just one of the many fucking fuckups PO brought in. Making BB to literally just mimic another not-BB, ruining Grey Fox's back story, and there existing fucktons of MGs before THE Metal Gear... it's just cringe as fuck fan-fic shit.

>That's just one of the many fucking fuckups PO brought in
There's also the fact that his real name is David Oh, which happens to be Solid Snake's real name.
>Making BB to literally just mimic another not-BB
Not that different from Solid Snake suddenly being a clone of his old nemesis and having a twin brother out of nowhere.
>ruining Grey Fox's back story
So he went from being a Vietnamese war orphan to Mozambican? Big deal.
> and there existing fucktons of MGs before THE Metal Gear...
Peace Walker, Zeke and Sahelanthropus
>it's just cringe as fuck fan-fic shit.
MGS was always kind of cringy.

*Peace Walker, Zeke and Sahelanthropus were all from Kojima-written/directed games.