Raytracing is a me-

>raytracing is a me-

Attached: dying light rtx.jpg (2380x2535, 2.69M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/P6UKhR0T6cs
youtube.com/watch?v=UCfuZSEFzIg
youtube.com/watch?v=F77dhX-YtDE
youtube.com/watch?v=unGtBbhaPeU
youtube.com/watch?v=XeT39sxKgjI
youtube.com/watch?v=dRKvVH7Lsx0
youtube.com/watch?v=Vj7_Dv1xz2A
youtube.com/watch?v=CfgBVedhufA
youtube.com/watch?v=Swbo7dTk1CI
youtube.com/watch?v=a8xlg67kfUM
youtube.com/watch?v=A9FvwnnTlm4
youtube.com/watch?v=-9pvAEi4qwI
youtube.com/watch?v=8x89GUEIcUU
youtube.com/watch?v=akCDx6fSIlk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

don't you need like 2 2080 Tis to even run Minecraft with RTX?

damn, it looks better without it

Raytracing is not a meme. RTX is.

And since both next gen consoles use AMD RTX will become obsolete in a few years.

So RTX is just brightness turned up to 4?
I'll pass.

me

Ah yes, sacrificing half your framerate to get slightly nicer looking effects or sacrificing half your framerate to get things that games have done before rasterised but have been taken out to sell people on real time raytracing.

Until games can actually run at 120-144 FPS at 1440p with real time raytracing it will remain a stupid meme.
And if you really care about image quality more than framerate you're better off running at 4K 60 fps with raytracing off. And no, DLSS 4K doesn't count because it looks like absolute ass.

Ambient occlusion?

B-B-BUT YOU NEED THE NEW NVIDIA CARD NO OTHER HARDWARE CAN DO RAY TRACING

Attached: 8-8-2018_7-54-23_PM.png (1920x1080, 1.91M)

ah yeah i remember when games in the 90s had raytraced global illumination

just buy the CARD YOU NEED IT YOU NEED THE CARD TO DO RTX DONT LOOK AT THE PAST

Attached: 4-29-2019_2-45-31_PM-3df1ffoz.png (1920x1080, 3.01M)

That's not raytracing, that's a strong yellow room light then a larger, dimmer yellow light.

You might not be aware of this, but games existed after the 90s and before 2018.

ah yeah i remember when games in the 00s had raytraced global illumination

First looks scarier, I'll take it.

Nvidia shills out!

top image looks better

im so excited for dying light 2

Attached: 1544842396234.jpg (1068x601, 65K)

>cant see shit but a nigger
>Looks better

They did though. Half Life 2 has raytraced global illumination, it's just pre-baked and not dynamic.

Besides, you're missing the point retard. I specifically said "things that games have done before rasterised", note "rasterised". Anything ray traced obviously doesn't apply. But rasterised global illumination and ambient occlusion has been a thing in basically every AAA game in the 10s until shill games like Metro Exodus decided to arbitrarily take them out just to make rtx look better.

youre right dude raytracing fucking sucks
cubemaps look good enough.

Attached: 20190714185539_1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.21M)

>ah yes this first computer we built is completely impractical, and takes up an entire house. we should destroy it and never think of it since. im a cynical pessimistic virgin gamer and hate when humans design anything that doesnt activate any of my neurons

He knows it's not a raytracing, you retarded fuck.

Didn't STALKER have proper raytracing that didn't fucking slow shit to a halt back in Shadow of Chernobyl? Didn't need a special videocard for it or anything.

>pretending that raytracing is some new technology
It isn't. This is not an innovation in anything but marketing. Raytracing has been successfully used in pre-baked lighting and pre-rendered CGI since the early 90s. Real time raytracing is not a new idea.
RTX is a stupid marketing gimmick since the GPUs just aren't powerful enough to do real time raytracing at acceptable resolutions and framerates. It's the equivalent of forcing 16x MSAA, calling it "smoothvision", and pretending it's some new innovation that everyone should use.

no

Ray tracing aside, I wish games would put a point light or something at the end of flashlight beams to kinda mimic the effect in the pic. Flashlights don't normally create a perfect small circle of visibility in the middle of your view.

yes

this

rtx off looks like an actual flashlight

see retard

better than rtx on.

you dont know how light works

>Ah yes, sacrificing half your framerate to get slightly nicer looking effects
yeah fuck ao and aa!

What a dumb nigger you are

Attached: wd legion.webm (1280x720, 2.68M)

>HURRR durrr reflections = raytracing
Don't embarrass yourself user.

raytracing is superior, but I got no clue why the fuck they advertise rtx

Ah yes, AO and AA, things that both impact your framerate by like 3% when done well, maybe 5% for particularly detailed HBAO+ with soft shadows, that's totally comparable to the 40%-50% framerate hit you get from RTX.

Attached: wd legion2.webm (1280x720, 2.47M)

Animatorfag here that's too tired retyping every argument these threads chalk up out of me.
Raytracing is the next massive leap in rendering for games, it will be the biggest step up since layered textures.
Things like tessellation are just a drop in the ocean compared to this. However Nvidia is trying to buy it out and force it early so everyone only adopts their tech when AMD by chip design does it better even though they haven't begun on it yet.

RTX memes aside this is the future and it will benefit everyone. It is a neutral rendering technique that people will repurchase old games again to see it implemented and is already happening. I've predicted this when RTX was announced but shitheads just post nonsense for a laugh like having 40FPS when that alone is a major achievement.

It's not true raytracing like in animated feature films but in real time this is huge to have even a quarter of the resolution passable.

simple non-taxing GPU older games like quake/halo/minecraft are just the beginning.

Dude just turn your brightness higher lmao

It's too bright now

this looks way better wow

>things that both impact your framerate by like 3% when done well, maybe 5% for particularly detailed HBAO+ with soft shadows
wasn't the case when they were first introduced

>AMD does it better
>but they havent done anything yet
t. shareholder

you sound like a faggot
im not spending a thousand shekels for reflections

neither do you if you think rtx looks real. dying light is a horror game so I'd want it to look closer to flashlight.

>horror game
its a zombie game
and i wanna see the zombies

friendly reminder that the pc as the performance-first platform is a meme invented by zoomers who couldn't tell what glide was.

raytracing is for lazy lighting artists.

you clearly didn't play dying light 1 during the night cycles enough

Take a flashlight into your room and turn the lights it. It will illuminate the entire room with an especially brighter spot in the center, it is not just a single circle of light in a black room.

Don't even get me started on what AO was when it was first introduced. It was fucking awful because everyone was overdoing it so massively and it made things look far worse than having no AO at all. Every single small corner and nook was blacker than the void of space because they wanted to show off this new tech.
But even then it never incurred a 40% framerate hit, the worst solutions were still like 10%.

>set in england
>americanized phone numbers

wat.

avp2010 comes to mind for awful AO

only people denying it are stubborn little toddlers looking for the next thing to label 'failure' or 'gimmick'.

John carmack has been talking about ray tracing for years and is a lightning god (he knows enough about light rendering that he even looks at lights in real life and breaks them down using technical terms), it has always been the ideal.

youtu.be/P6UKhR0T6cs

oh wow so scared, more powerful zombies uuuhhhh mooommmmyyyyyy

top looks better

Ray tracing was always going to be the end goal of real time rendering, this is not new information. Everyone has known this from the 90s, GPUs will eventually be powerful enough to do full raytracing(like it's done for pre-rendered CGI) in real time.

RTX on the other hand is Nvidia's stupid marketing gimmick trying to portray it as some new tech around 5 years before it's actually ready. You can also see how they're amping up the reflectiveness of materials to fucking ridiculous levels just to make their tech look different and new.

fuuuck this actually looks pretty nice

>nvidiadrones trying to so badly to defend their overpriced cars

>go from having a flashlight lighting up the part of the room that it's aimed at to a room turning half red (but only the floors though, fuck walls I guess)
So the nerds in charge of making RTX either have never seen real light or someone decided global ilumination had to be turned up to eleven in order to take promo pictures. I wouldn't mind sacrificing my high frame rate for some amazing AI or even physics that tied in to gameplay but this seems so pointless

Just like the first Watch Dogs reveal gameplay trailer? :)

youtube.com/watch?v=UCfuZSEFzIg
THE FUTURE IS NOW

So what does it do, make the room brighter?
Seriously though, bottom looks fucking awful, what's with the red hue on everything? Top looks like an actual flashlight in the dark, bottom looks like he's holding a table lamp with a red lampshade

Attached: 1506934113413.jpg (600x578, 49K)

This is more comical.
youtube.com/watch?v=F77dhX-YtDE

>the puddles are just mirrors
How sucky

>L-LIGHT DOESN'T BOUNCE
maybe you should do go and use a real flashlight user.

? he do you 'bullshot' ray tracing? either your game is ray traced or it isnt

Since RTX is PC exclusive I actually believe it.

>amd shareholders trying hard to trashtalk the competition

Attached: 1566234904786.png (1006x1080, 756K)

top looks better

It looks good but talk to me when it doesn't take a good chunk of the performance with a 1000$ card

So next gen all games are going to be dark as fuck to trying to sell people on the RTX meme? Pretty sure you can get a game to look like bottom without RTX.

Light bounces around, the power supply is red and the light is bouncing off of it and illuminating the rest of the room.

GUYS
GUYS
LOOK
youtube.com/watch?v=unGtBbhaPeU

Whoa.
More brightening.
whoa.

>this specific games looks bad therefore we need RTX

kek

I was at work and outside a cop car had it's lights on. Probably 150 feet away at an angle not directly behind me. I saw the lights reflecting on the shiny metal of the freezer door. So a car 150 feet behind me put off light that traveled through glass and reflected 50 feet in front of me off a door. Light is crazy man. RTX can't do that

Hey you fucking retards who are saying the raytracing looks "unrealistic"

since you're all fucking too retarded to ever have used a flashlight in your life here's a few videos

youtube.com/watch?v=dRKvVH7Lsx0

youtube.com/watch?v=Vj7_Dv1xz2A

Global illumination[1] (shortened as GI), or indirect illumination, is a general name for a group of algorithms used in 3D computer graphics that are meant to add more realistic lighting to 3D scenes. Such algorithms take into account not only the light that comes directly from a light source (direct illumination), but also subsequent cases in which light rays from the same source are reflected by other surfaces in the scene, whether reflective or not (indirect illumination).

>even with RTX turd, we still haven't got lightning level of Chaos Theory, FEAR and Thief 3
A shame.

Go grab a flashlight and a colored balloon or ball in a dark room.
Shove the light into or up close to it and see what happens to the lighting. Ray tracing is meant to simulate real life lighting in real time.

You have these bookmarked?

well it looks much better with it

go outside

Attached: 139661_00_2x.jpg (1184x789, 401K)

No, I'm got so frustrated by the retards in this thread I went on youtube and searched "Flashlight dark room" and posted a bunch of videos

ray tracing demo I saw in quake had a level where every surface was literally a mirror. can't remember seeing that in the 90s

I love going into Ray Tracing threads and just seeing all the absolute retards who don't understand and try say how it's gimmicky or it's not needed.

Yeah, but I would prefer the games to actually be good. The graphics armsrace to sell video games to normalfags is fucking cancer.

youtube.com/watch?v=CfgBVedhufA

It's a fake approximation but probably a lot cheaper and it just werks.

based dabbing on these coping NEET poorfags

what shitty videos

not true, depends how well the game optimizes it. Turning RTX on in Metro Exodus lost me only about 10-15 fps using an RTX 2070

user I'm just gonna tell you RIGHT now that some of these anons are trolling and some don't care. Don't stress over this shit

>gimmicky
It's not.
>10 years too early
Yes

>Shove the light into or up close to it

As if that's the same as holding it more than three feet away.

>but I would prefer the games to actually be good.
they would have made wd legion regardless

I honestly can't help it.
I have 100% real autism, people being retarded just specifically gets under my skin.

>474861162
This is exactly what I'm talking about, it's fucking hilarious how stupid they are.

I know the feel but I'm not diagnosed. I watch people at work unable to use an alphabetical list and i get mad

Ok, so I hope I'm not crazy but, that Raytraced Minecraft trailer, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of it's style? I mean, it does look nice and all.

Better to fire them and save money on machine that does it better.

So does Metro Exodus. Because they offer no AO or global illumination unless you have raytracing on. Either because the devs are so lazy they didn't include standard effects that have been done the "cheaty" way for the past 10 years or because they got paid off.
Ray tracing is going to look better than rasterised graphics. That's why it's used for all pre-rendered CGI and why it will always be used in games that don't have day/night cycles and can get away with pre-baked lighting rather than dynamic.

RTX however often doesn't look THAT much better than really good rasterised hacks and runs so much worse. Image is using screen space reflections to get those puddles reflections that some people jerk so much over. Full raytracing blows both RTX and SSR out of the water and in cases where devs don't kneecap the rasterised solutions the difference isn't going to be worth half your framerate. Just wait a few more years until GPUs can actually do it and devs start toning down the "mirror effect" on everything when they don't need to overdo it for comparison shots.

Attached: Screen space reflections.png (1920x1080, 3.17M)

Demonstartion's user.
May not be the games style but they do it to show you TECHNOLOGY

surely that sort of GI can be done without raytracing?

Strawmaning won't make the attempt at recreating global illumination any less shit user

020 is the London area code for bong landlines. The numbering and segmenting is fine -- the only real issue is that the hyphens should be replaced by spaces

the videos i posted show stuff being reflected that isnt on screen, even the shop windows have proper reflections now. something that the division also doesnt have

Attached: a67b2a9d30e5e2090ef4429c5c93c2d8.jpg (1662x997, 465K)

Yeah, I guess. It's crazy how much the change is dramatic.

It really is, I slapped on shaders on my game and it really makes a massive difference.

Attached: 2019-08-06_22.40.35.png (1920x1080, 2.94M)

It's a bit ironic for Yea Forums to discuss raytracing when most of us don't go outside or are always constantly in the dark.

Of course it can, Frostbite 2 had support for dynamic global illumination way back in 2011 for example.
It's not going to be as "accurate" as raytracing but it's not going to be just a circle light like it is in the OP. If you don't go out of your way to overdo raytracing or kneecap rasterised graphics the difference isn't that huge. It's there, but they're definitely trying to exaggerate it.

Name a single tech that wasn't shitty when it was first introduced. Nvidia are pushing for ray tracing because no one was doing it, is it too early for it? Maybe, but now all of a sudden hundreds of developers are developing their games with ray tracing in mind when before there were just a handful.

Early AO - Overexaggerated and haloing around every single thing
PS2 era Depth of field and Motion blur - Shitty tricks that completely fall apart when upscaled to modern resolutions
Xbox360 era Bloom and HDR - Overuse of bloom and HDR constantly went from blinding to complete darkness multiple times a minute
Normal maps/Bump maps - Everything looked like plastic action figures
VR - Shitty resolutions, glitchy tracking, screendoor effect

RTX is an entusiast tech right now but will probably be in every game and look great in 3-5 years.

Attached: doom-3-and-the-challenge-of-living-up-to-your-own-legacy.jpg (1920x1080, 176K)

How can light bounce if its not affected by gravity??

literally soul/soulless

I'm currently finishing my PC build right now, all is left is the motherboard. I honestly never ventured into proper PC Gaming. So something like this, surprises me. I wonder what I'm in for.

soulless

A lot

maybe

Now the light isn't dying anymore.

I prefer the top one.

game?

Attached: 1548937343280.png (1000x1000, 18K)

Attached: 1445833163459.jpg (603x585, 31K)

>people have since forever claimed the next big leap in graphical fidelity will be based on lighting innovation
>it finally arrives as raytracing
>Yea Forums calls it shit and a meme

Attached: to-infinity-and-beyond.gif (400x221, 1.98M)

anyone who thinks ray/path tracing is a meme is just ignorant, nobody who knows anything about computer graphics would actually think that

Exclusive ray tracing is a meme.

top is to dark and bottom is to bright for a horror game.
Besides if you design the lightning in the game for ray tracing you fuck up the lightning for non-rtx users and vice versa, so why bother with something only 5% of your users will use?

it's just young kids encountering their first technological leap.

It's just coping AMD shareholders like

AMD doesn't have any RT hardware so it doesn't even matter. DXR is not exclusive.

this. i feel like you can achieve the same effect without sacrificing 50fps

Until it's on consoles it's a meme. Simply because devs focus on console and when it's there it will be a common feature. Right now it's hair works tier

god you're retarded, if you don't know shit just can it lol

both next gen consoles supposedly have specialized hardware tho

its in almost all big upcoming games tho

"next gen" console hardware doesn't even exist yet. What they actually have is a list of wishes, hopes, and dreams.

the main reason i personally think it's a bit of a let down is that we're in the birthing stage of this technology. first adopters will get a shitty product and pay through the nose for something that is, at the moment, a gimmick.

give it 5-10 years and raytracing will be a much better feature and found on more cards. just gotta wait until the tech is further refined and no longer a 90fps sink

Maybe. Remember some games show it and don't actually have it like RE2.

Top screenshot just has extremely low dynamic range. Ray tracing is the future for sure but we're still 10+ years away. RTX is just meme HDR for now.

It will probably not remain a hardware exclusive thing like it is now. No reason a powerful enough GPU can't just use DXR.

Oh no no no no
COPE & GET A JOB

i can guarantee AMD will figure out their own thing and there'll be a weird sponsored thing where some games will boot with nvidia and amd logo's like when tressFX and physX were. some games will be optimised for AMD 'RTX' and some NVDIA

devkits are out...

This meme suck ass

That's only if AMD decides to go the stupid route of hardware exclusive raytracing instead of just using their big calculator GPUs to do DXR instead.

PhysX was Nvidia hardware exclusive, TressFX wasn't. TressFX, after a few patches, ran just as well on Nvidia cards as it does on AMDs. It even runs better than Hairworks on both AMD and Nvidia.
And it's now open source under the MIT license.

retard

more like gaytracing

imagine being this stupid good god

holy shit really? i always assumed tressFX stayed exclusive, but that was back when tomb raider released in 2012 and my shitty 7870 could barely run it. i'm excited and optimistic about the future of this tech but right now it really is in it's first stages.

i hope AMD don't fuck it up.

Yeah, no. It's been open source for a while and nobody uses it aside from the Tomb Raider games because nobody's paying them to use it. If you have a choice between using TressFX for free or using Hairworks which you get paid for which one do you use?

>you can see a bit more in the dark
WOOOOOW IM SPENDING $500 JUST FOR THIS EFFECT ALONE

>spend $1200 on a GPU for ray tracing
>get 40fps at 1080p
lmao

>all is left is the motherboard
user you put the motherboard in as one of the first steps

hah that's a fair fucking point. i loved tressFX.

you get +100 in every game that uses rtx at 1080p

Pretty sure he means he's in the planning stages and he's yet to decide which motherboard to buy.

The motherboard will be the last thing you decide on, since it has to be compatible with your CPU and RAM choice.

TAKE MY MONEY JACKET MAN

youtube.com/watch?v=Swbo7dTk1CI
>70fps
youtube.com/watch?v=a8xlg67kfUM
>70fps
youtube.com/watch?v=A9FvwnnTlm4
>60fps with dips into the 50s
LMAO

Attached: 1500291636906.jpg (258x360, 55K)

And by the time it's worth replacing my 1080 I'm sure it'll actually be used in enough games to be a proper selling point.

That's a blatant lie.

That light on the bottom is very unrealistic for a torch. They don't illuminate much outside of their beam.

Why does the lighting on top look better?

Get the fuck out larper before i post my dick

I mean, I buy a new card every other gen or so and it's about time coming so yeah I will be getting the next generation of GPU. And it will be nvidia. sone of the worst experiences I've had with computers is AMD GPU and APUs. (only thing worse was the bios and overclocking of a B450M.)

yeah, it looks more like he's holding a flare than a flashlight in the bottom pic

It doesnt youre just a retard who doesnt know what global illumination is and how flashlights work

I just used a flashlight a day ago. I can assure you that it looks more like top than bottom.

because the light is bouncing off of the red power supply.you brainlet

see retard

Just telling you how it looks like irl fucking fat ass.
Not my fault if ray tracing is trash.

>mfw RTX toddlers trying to justify paying $1200 for horrible frame rates and slightly better lighting
Meanwhile I'm enjoying my 1080ti at 4K.

Attached: 1489973104228.jpg (1920x1080, 145K)

yeah, go try and recreate that and tell me how much it illuminates the surroundings in a red glow. It doesn't work like that in real life, and anyone who's actually used a flashlight in the dark can tell you this.

based retard

Are you fucking retarded? You think a flashlight turns every object it's facing into a giant lamp of its own color?

Attached: people-walking-in-dark-cave-flashlight-spot-on-the-floor-and-wall_ekazbvvze__F0000.png (3840x2160, 1.35M)

purposely gimping your lighting isn't "raytracing" it's like that bfv reveal all over again

Thanks for fucking proving my point.

It just works!

as for right now in 2019 its a meme and if you buy it you're wasting your money

anyone with a brain will wait afew years for the tech to become viable at a stable framerate

youre saying the top pic in OP is realistic and that video fucking proves you wrong you absolute mongrel.
in ops pic everything is pitch black except for a small round area but thats not how flashlights work you low iq nigger

We can't run it. No one truly can. Unless you're a filthy fucking richfag.

Does 10K a year count as richfagdom?

You are fucking blind man. This is what the surrounding which isn't directly affected by the flashlight look like.
In the OP pic, every thing is red and there's like it's a fucking party.

Attached: rayshitting.jpg (691x772, 30K)

thats literally the first second where hes pointing it at the ground you fucking RETARD

in the op pic the flashlight isnt pointed at the ground but in the middle of the room, like in pic related.

if pic related was like the ops pic only the middle of it would be bright the rest of it would be pitch black, but as you can see, it isnt

Attached: f02502b37992e0a07a4d7d59c63c3dae.jpg (1260x1619, 450K)

But that's not how light works, that's the point. You don't end up with some explicit circle of light and complete darkness around it -- the light hitting objects in the room bounces off those objects and illuminates things around it.

If you're going for a realistic look, this kind of thing can deeply affect immersion. If you're doing a stylized game, I'd agree.

The bottom just looks brighter

Thinking about getting a new graphics card and my budget is around the 300-400 range. Is the RTX 2060 an alright option? I know it probably doesn't actually do raytracing that well but it would be a cool bonus if it did. I'm really just looking for a general upgrade.

Attached: RTX on.png (1260x1619, 1.28M)

Bruh, this is just reflection, not light simulation.

>300-400 range
Just get a rx 5700 or 5700 xt. Raytracing with the 2060 is literally unplayable.

Have you ever used a flashlight?
It doesn't light up like that.

Top one is unironically better because the threat is harder to see and requires a flashlight, a limited resource, to shine on it specifically

The wooden floor looks like shit with that ugly exaggerated color bounce

Gtx 2060 is not a raytray capable card unless you're some 40fps cuck.

I recommend getting a used gtx 1070 and a hooker for that money.

dumbo

Attached: led-multi-color-balloon-3.jpg (600x600, 30K)

with physx/gameworks being open source now, will it work on AMD cards?

It literally does. Go into a pitch black room and turn on a flashlight. The whole room gets brighter. The center will be brightest but the whole room will light up.

I get what you're saying from a gameplay perspective but that's not what we're talking about.

>“At this point, it's a forgone conclusion that [if you’re] going to buy a new graphics card and it's going to last through two years, three years, four years, to not have ray tracing is just crazy."
>-j-just be a good goy and buy it

Attached: kek.jpg (1010x94, 31K)

>>nvidiadrones trying to so badly to defend their overpriced cars

Attached: cars.png (1198x798, 2.14M)

2060 is actually a great card for this gen right now, with my old 2500k it still runs every game I can throw at it at or above 60fps

i don't know, can you repeat the question?

>the whole room lights up
This is true
You also get some light bounce however it's mostly based on the color of the light with the color of the object the light bounces off of having a very slight effect.
You can notice it but with a flashlight it'll usually just shine off a white-ish light unlike the OP image where it's massively overdone and there's just red light bouncing everywhere. This is not how flashlights behave IRL.

idiot

No, it obviously didn't. It had global illumination(which is what the OP picture demonstrates) but it was way more realistic/subtle and it wasn't done through raytracing because that would kill hardware.

YOU'RE

RTX is realistic lighting that bounce around in the scene, not unlike how cgi movies does lighting. The color of light blend realistically too.

>The whole room gets brighter.
No one's denying this, it's just way overkill in the op image, the effect in the image feels like something you'd get out of shining light into white tiles or something

Same here

I feel I'd probably opt for the 5700 but I can trade in my current card over market value and get a 2060 for about £250 (with bonus games).

The 5700 has about a 10% performance advantage but given the price the trade-off seems worth it, but the rtx seems pointless if it's not actually as capable as the other grotesquely overpriced rtx range

Attached: 1564675164879.jpg (1032x1080, 216K)

Raytracing by itself is meh. Raytracing + HDR is the holy grail.

But its all wet out there.

stop being poor then faggot

GI in STALKER was bullshit that didn't even do anything

>Oh boy I can just throw in lights willy nilly and raytracing will make it look great!
>Who cares about setting the scene in a specific way, just look at the refractions and reflections!
Meanwhile actual light setups will still convey an environment better. You can do both but current RTX and raytracing will just lead to laziness.

I'm not telling you dumbasses to buy Nvidia or AMD; I'm just stating the obvious future of in-game rendering.

>im not spending a thousand shekels for reflections
You'll be goaded into it in any case, it is the direct path ahead of us all. Do you still play DX9 games on 32bit too user?

That's why I said I was getting tired of it. Actual truth being stated but fallen to the side for memes.

>2080ti
>RTX Off

144fps+ maxing out your 1080p monitor's refresh rate no matter what happens.

>RTX On
57 FPS with big drops into the dreaded 30s zone for active scenes.

And this is in pleb soon to be non-standard 1080p, in 1440p you can see that shit crash and burn, and in 4k you get real time slideshows.

Attached: 1565544644035.jpg (1280x1013, 343K)

>raytracing will just lead to laziness
>it's better when devs spend all their time on baking lighting so that environments can be pretty to look at but not interactive or dynamic in the slightest

Attached: Uncharted-4-living-room.jpg (1920x1080, 1.32M)

>30fps at 1080p with a 2080
im getting avg 55fps depending on the scene at 4k in bf5 and avg 45 in metro when i turn on rtx

and now from the outside

Attached: unchartedf.jpg (1920x1080, 475K)

>it's better when devs spend all their time on baking lighting so that environments can be pretty to look at but not interactive or dynamic in the slightest

unironically this

Who is this semen demon?

literally graphics over gameplay

Being able to destroy background objects or throw them around isn't "gameplay" either.

as opposed to the meme lighting that only AAA games will support and only people with $1200 computers can use?

>55 and 45 fps
Is that supposed to playable?

literally is retard

>that only AAA games will support
youtube.com/watch?v=-9pvAEi4qwI
try again

Yes, extra fluff that you only ever do to see the effects and that has no impact on how you shoot the bad man in the face is gameplay.

that's something you can play without and still have dynamic environments, of course it's better you fucking moron

>3D is just a thing AAA games will support and only people with $1200 computers can use
>physics is a thing only AAA games will support and only people with $1200 computers can use
>real time lighting is a thing only AAA games will support and only people with $1200 computers can use
Zoom zooms can't into technology

at 4k thats really good and proves your claim of 30fps at 1080p wrong

Raytracing is the next step in rendering but Nvidia's RTX is a meme at this point.

this is hairworks all over again. We had reflections back all the way in UT2k4 days. not sure why we need to waste 50% of our power for this useless feature.

these were all true at the time when they were cutting edge user. you looking forward to your first day of high school soon?

Go on, I'm sure you can make even more false equivalences to pretend that raytracing is somehow new tech and not something that's been here since the 90s.

literal fucking cope
those werent reflections those were just the same rooms rendered twice

>doesn't get the point
I'mma let you go ahead and try again, you can delete this post too if you feel like it.

Go with the 5700.

>at 4k
Oh so you're a liar then.

Jesus fuck I know they're just showing the tech off but making everything super reflective just puts me off, especially when it looks like these people have never been near a puddle of water before

I honestly don't care about lighting to a great degree.

There, I said it.

Destruction, physics and animations in the environment have a much bigger impact on gameplay than how pretty it looks.

don't talk about my daughter that way

Attached: 1565827597094.gif (480x270, 1.24M)

>p-puddles arent a m-mirror
go outside

Attached: 9205_Puddlegram-Reflection-iPhone-Photos-17_w1120 (1).jpg (1120x1120, 91K)

One in a hundred games actually has gameplay impact with destructible environments, most notably Red Faction and the Battlefield games.

Half Life 2 was full of physics """puzzles""" because they really wanted to show off their physics engine. Half Life 2 also almost exclusively uses pre-baked lighting for its levels.

How many games are there where any of those things have a notable impact on gameplay? Being able to knock over a few physics objects gets old pretty quick.

God I wish that was my dick

Why must you stupid shills insist on strawmaning anything that's slightly negative and triggers your corporate tribalism? I didn't say water can't be reflective, watch the trailer you posted you fat nerd, there's puddles of water on dirt casting perfect reflections, this just doesn't happen at all in real life, it's not like it'd be hard to place a filter on the water reflections to make them more opaque and fuzzy. It's no wonder people are so anti-rtx when any slight bit of criticism turns retards like you into defensive queers with nothing better to do than googling stock pictures of puddles

>30 f-f-f-fps at 1080p!!!!1
cringe

Attached: 3ef660a70298142619a094c87aa07e44.jpg (1951x1157, 1.51M)

pseud

How many games are there where the prettiness of the environment has any impact on gameplay?

which one is supposed to look better?

>this just doesn't happen at all in real life
go outside

Attached: tree-reflection-puddle-652602.jpg (1300x1065, 747K)

Do you have time to go outside despite autistically searching for stock footage of puddles?

What retarded attempt at moving the goalpost is this?

I'm glad you could admit that you can't actually back up your argument.

Attached: 1561754884858.jpg (1920x1080, 385K)

now put non-rtx ambient light / occlusion post processing on the top one and compare.

>this doesnt happen at all in real life
>it actually happens
>AUTIST!!!!

Attached: loll.jpg (258x245, 12K)

>posts the least demanding scene with the highest framerate
Nice try, faggot.
Also DLSS just makes everything look like muddy garbage at 4K, might as well just get a 1440p monitor and run it native there instead of using that garbage.

Attached: nice try.png (1920x1080, 1.36M)

>stupid frogposter
as expected

left should look clearer, left should look like someone smeared vaseline all over it
that's the nature of postprocess aa

So all that expensive raytracing and muh future shit just increases gamma levels.
Bravo NVIDIA

Attached: 1474492137206.gif (245x230, 871K)

>bottom image lights up the entire screen rendering the flashlight completely irrelevant

What's the point?

annnd? like said. and I quote "More brightening. whoa."

Say all the fancy stuff you want in the end its just a a room with the brightness turned up.

we already have light in games

>DLSS
>purposefully losing all detail just so you can get muh realistic shadows at above 60fps on a $1200 card

Attached: 134195486521.jpg (762x668, 79K)

Holy shit you literally BTFO'd yourself by posting this since you were claiming at 1080p you'd get 30fps but even at 4k you get above 30.

Attached: 1516887427700s.jpg (250x250, 6K)

Obviously there aren't many games with full destruction but most games nowadays have some degree of environmental destruction and physics and it's a lot better to have than some pretty baked lighting.

yeah its an off and on comparison user

Instead of good lighting maybe we should sacrifice performance to fix awful shit like that leg clipping jesus christ

>30fps vs 35fps with DLSS off
Are you clinically retarded?

>complete retard
>also a wojakposter

Why am I not surprised? Go back to cherrypicking one second where the game barely reaches 59 FPS and try to lie more about getting 55 at 4K.

Attached: nice framerate.png (1920x1080, 2.28M)

That's a cube-map user.

youtube.com/watch?v=8x89GUEIcUU

you're scaring her user

Attached: 1564613259941.png (1329x749, 908K)

It's still above 30 you fucking AMDrone.

A lot of this can be faked 'good enough' using a large series of cubemap, which Spider-Man did on PS4.

>big drops into the dreaded 30s zone for active scenes
>And this is in pleb soon to be non-standard 1080p

Meanwhile the screens you post are from a 4k video showing it running at 30-60FPS in an active scene.

And you realize 4k is 4x 1080p, right? You retarded faggot?

>Graphical wankery that in no way improves the GAMEPLAY of video GAMES.
>Most likely actually prevents games from having gameplay because of dumping so much cash into something so frivolous for the sake of MUH REALISM

Attached: yikes hard pass.jpg (464x618, 32K)

Holy shit 8:15 onwards physically hurts as the game chugs down to 22 FPS in a firefight. Imagine paying $1200 for a GPU only to have an experience this bad.

What's there to back up? It's impact vs no impact. Your argument is completely retarded.

Imagine buying a $1200 card only to play on a $50 1080p/60Hz monitor. How braindead would you have to be to do that? If you're running at 1080p you should be at least aiming for 144 FPS, not 60.

This shit right here, we have had shit like reflections and lighting in video games for years now, we don't need to waste a shit ton of money for more of the same

Is there something I can turn on to make the player character not a black?

>tfw didn't buy a RTX card

Attached: 1525274990058.png (330x432, 91K)

LOL POORFAGS FUCKING COPE I"M SERIOUSOULY LOLING HERE AT YOU PIRATEFAGS WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO AFFORD A BALLER GPU SO POOR YOU HAVE TO EVEN PIRATE THE GAMES LIKE YOU'RE STUCK IN SOUTH AMERICA LIKE LOOOL LIKE BETTER GRAPHICS ARE A MEME RIGHT? HAHA HOLY SHIT GO FLIP BURGERS LIKE A NORMAL PERSON INSTEAD OF COMPLAINING ABOUT GRAPHICS ON REDDIT LIKE LITERALLY FALLING OUT OF MY 700DOLLAR GAMER CHAIR HERE LAUGHING

>claims you get 30fps at 1080p with rtx on
>posts 4k gameplay running at 30fps
lmao
youtube.com/watch?v=akCDx6fSIlk

>Most likely actually prevents games from having gameplay because of dumping so much cash into something so frivolous for the sake of MUH REALISM
The more realistic scenario is that in a couple of years, some games will have to do sacrifices to tank the performance hit. I can't wait for when Doom INFINITE or some shit comes out and there's even more people shitting up threads blaming RTX for there only being 5 enemies on screen who are too retarded to do anything besides running into walls or something

I'll take Ray tracing over high frame rates any day of the week. But keep seething I suppose.

>he thinks 65 FPS is good for a $1200 GPU on 1080p.
Imagine being this retarded.

you can play whatever character you want in the game

wut. this isn't ray tracing shitposting

>ITT people that never used a flashlight
it looks better with it off stop shitposting

worked for me. also worked on a pentium fucking 2 with 60 fps and 16 people shooting each other with minimum lag.

eat a dick, this tech is useless, and I say this as someone that knows AMD is fucking shit.

>raytracing
call me when I can get it for a reasonable price

Attached: poor.jpg (2508x1613, 1.05M)

move the goalpost a little more senpai

Attached: smug rapist.jpg (125x90, 2K)

>Raytracing isn't amazing
Poorfags: The Thread.

>literally proven wrong about his claim that he gets 45 to 55 at 4K
>tries to divert the conversation to 1080p which is completely irrelevant
>says others are moving the goalposts.

Attached: A fine addition.png (1226x690, 824K)

its funny you fuckers complain about wojack/frog posters or what ever the fuck but youre all the same.
same stupid shitty taste and arguments.

Attached: 1416260607327.jpg (600x349, 189K)

do you think devs would be bothering with these PC exclusive features if they took significant amount of effort or money to implement? brainlets

Wow those advanced lighting techniques really make the game look realisti-
WAIT LOOK AT ALL THAT ALIASING LOL
BOY AM I GLAD THAT NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT ALIASING

>stupid sonic poster

This is basic radiation that can be achieved in DX9. This also can be done through dynamic shaders and PBR on DX11. DXR just does it differently and can be more acurate but if devs and artists put some work they can achieve same level of fidelity in DX11.

>cherry picked only the lowest parts
>doesnt know what an average is
>has proven himself wrong by showing that 30fps is the lowest it drops to at 4k, despite him claiming it would run at 30fps in 1080p

Thats why it is called SCREEN SPACE reflection, it reflects what is in the screen.

>cherry picked only the lowest parts
The entire video runs at 29-40 with one scene where it reaches 59. It's not cherry picking if that's the norm.
>doesn't know what an average is
You're not averaging 45 to 55, you're averaging 40 at best. If you even have a 2080ti and aren't just larping.
>has proven himself wrong by showing that 30fps is the lowest it drops to at 4k, despite him claiming it would run at 30fps in 1080p
Literally never claimed that you retarded mongoloid. Also there was a video posted earlier where it drops and stays at 22 for an entire firefight. Posting only that(and the situation where it drops to an amazingly low 18 fps) would be actual cherry picking. Now go back to pretending 30 FPS at 4K or 65 FPS at 1080p is reasonable for a $1200 GPU.

Attached: ayy.png (835x939, 1.09M)

Yeah and thats why they suck

Attached: 20180730152253_1.jpg (3840x2160, 1.82M)

You know, it's still probably cheaper to render beyond the resolution of the monitor in a warped FoV perspective just to make SSR not ass (since it can reference from the shit drawn off the screen) and have it run faster than trying to put in RTX.

>The entire video runs at 29-40 with one scene where it reaches 59
Another lie but even if that would be true it proves your claim of it being 30fps at 1080p wrong.
>Literally never claimed that you retarded mongoloid
uhmm... >big drops into the dreaded 30s zone for active scenes.

>And this is in pleb soon to be non-standard 1080p,

Attached: e9b0abb61762da6d440754a72095f8e6.jpg (1903x997, 966K)

and no dev has thought of doing that? you must be a genius bro

Fucking retard.

Attached: nice try again.png (1203x413, 119K)

>get gang stalked every single day
you're a schizo and need help. Stop browsing /x/ or taking anything on there seriously
>older brother has recently came out as a tranny and has admitted he has sexual feelings for me
I can sympathize with the loss on the stocks as I lost around 1.5k to shitcoins but holy fuck. That last thing you posted might be the worst compared to everything else. I can't even imagine what that fucked up situation feels like and don't fucking want to.
From one user that's in a dark place to another. Hope you find your peace.

fucking hell every screenshot of this game is dark and ugly as fuck

Blame consoles which can barely do 1080p/30fps with an adequate AA solution.

They have. Then they decided it's a stupid idea since cubemaps exist and work "well enough" for static environments and run way faster. So they can run at higher framerates which people like or spend more hardware power drawing shit that's actually on screen.

Based, thanks for proving the retard claiming it's 30fps at 1080p wrong then.

Attached: zZ86SqQ.jpg (891x717, 77K)

In my opinion the best use of raytracing is for old games. The quake project showed that it makes the biggest difference for games that don't already have a ton of modern technology making it look good.
I would prefer all the good games from the 90s and early 2000s with raytracing than the minimal effect it has on modern titles.

Attached: Nazri_ears.gif (239x226, 838K)

Whats the Name of this game?

Attached: large.png (500x875, 419K)

ninja gaiden black/sigma

Quake got a more advanced version of raytracing that modern games aren't able to run due to already being demanding

Ahh, this pasta. Glad this shit gets deleted

You tried hard kiddo, here is a (you) maybe next time

It's because it's relatively easy to implement at the engine level if you're talking about DXR path tracing. And that really has nothing to do with RTX since it's not hardware locked.

Actual fucking retards. The generator is metal which reflects light much better than just fucking concrete, making the room light up with red that much.

>hueheu I want scawy horror game
It's not a good game if it has to rely on pitch fucking black screens.

Seriously, what do people like you get out of trolling and acting like a fucking retard?