Simple Pleasures

What game(s) never fails to bring you joy and why?

I'll replay the original Spyro trilogy once a year, usually.
>Gliding around open-ended levels with god-tier color choices while listening to The Police
>Gems sparkle in the distance of low-quality renders so you're never left unable to find a gem due to a technical limitation, only your perception and thoroughness
>Most critically, the levels are just large enough to serve their purpose and not so large they lose focus or ever risk meandering
>Gliding as Spyro gives a simple pleasure
>Camera tracks Spyro with a gentle amount of easing so you're never left feeling motion sick
>Enemies never outstay their welcome
>Spyro's inertia can be interrupted at any time while gliding by pressing the triangle button, meaning you never careen off of a ledge, even when it's a smaller and more challenging one

Give me your top picks in terms of sheer simple pleasure, not critical reception. I completely get why some people love Jumping Flash and Gex, and could even understand why someone might get sucked into Bubsy (even if I personally disagree with it).

Try and be descriptive of your pick and to justify it. Selection isn't limited to platformers, those just made for the easiest examples.

youtube.com/watch?v=76mpL91XfZY

Attached: Spyro.jpg (612x618, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kv6jEXV_SzI
youtube.com/watch?v=PRN08JRltSM
youtube.com/watch?v=8RAhV9UZ1cc
youtube.com/watch?v=PY2IpEvqZw0
youtube.com/watch?v=mWXoIB0K6fs
youtube.com/watch?v=izEhU-dKwa0
youtube.com/watch?v=dM5sIBIRDLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5t5lvsOp1aA
youtube.com/watch?v=SernBf9whR8
youtube.com/watch?v=tB6BxbX-VHM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

LOD was really great and revolutionary for the time and these games still hold up way better than their remasters.

Super Smash Bros. 64

>goofy sound effects splat joy in each punch
>bright colors accompany each character and map
>that satisfying "OUGH!" pulse effect when one is launched
>Announcer always sounds happy to see you
>music tracks surge memories of playing most other retro titles, heck even the Spyro Trilogy
>items are all like treats, each delivering funny match outcomes
>make one appreciate their own history/present with friends

I like it.

youtube.com/watch?v=kv6jEXV_SzI

should I play the reignited trilogy if I'm new to Spyro? also, are the games too easy?
my brother played the trilogy recently and found the first one so easy that he got bored 1/4 through 2

also for me it's TimeSplitters 2, love the music and it's a huge nostalgia trip every time, very well designed

Attached: mr space.png (512x512, 194K)

driving in GT4

Attached: race7.jpg (1280x960, 183K)

Einhander's another great one, even if I still suck at it.

>Aliased, gritty graphics that enhance its dystopian cyberpunk world
>Ship looks like a goddamn Medabot
>Power-ups can be swung above or below your ship, and are dropped from enemies it makes sense they'd drop from
>Forgot to mention this about Spyro, but great skyboxes
>Basically Mega Man X if you didn't have limbs and could move at mach 3
>Limblets BTFO

youtube.com/watch?v=PRN08JRltSM

>these games still hold up way better than their remasters
I hate running the risk of sounding like a cynic, but I agree.

Solid pick, and fun reasons. Not 64, but the trophy display in Melee being in a dimly-lit bedroom always tied the experience together in a really nice way for me.

64 piqued my interest in a lot of titles I'd never heard about and it was always fun to play when I was someplace that had it.

Approaching the games with consideration of their difficulty is the wrong way to do it. They're all very easy outside of one level in the original Spyro, Tree Tops, that has you leaping from ramp to ramp to continue building momentum to find a secret dragon.

The game you'll get bored of partway through is 3. It's still a title you can beat in a weekend, but it's more loaded with minigames from side characters that don't always mesh with people.

The original trilogy is your safest bet, and the aesthetics are better in my honest opinion.

I've really got to get around to playing TimeSplitters now that I can emulate GC so well.

Attached: Einhander.jpg (600x594, 123K)

Gran Turismo and Ridge Racer are a couple of titles I've barely touched on. As a kid I owned Destruction Derby by Psygnosis and some random NASCAR game, and for whatever reason they just didn't grab me like the Wipeout trilogy or Crash Team Racing.

Looking back, especially at their soundtracks but also at their physics models, they're great fun to play. Drifting in the original Ridge Racer playing out like you being on a rail, with a speed boost being awarded if you angle your car within a very tight tolerance for the largest boost, feels incredible.

Still haven't beaten the black car, though.

A treat for you, in keeping with the tone of Gran Turismo's soundtracks:
youtube.com/watch?v=8RAhV9UZ1cc

Attached: Racing Lagoon.png (349x369, 19K)

nice

Attached: jump.jpg (1280x960, 205K)

Crazy Taxi
Dungeon Keeper

Sorry, but that is a terrible fucking song.

Kingdom Hearts
>Comfy fighting mechanic, feels like biting a kit kat bar
>Cute dreamy opening sequence. I love watching sora falling into the abyss and then autistically pretending i have a gf like kairi.
>High jump and super glide. It's impossible to not have fun with these skills.
>Going against hundreds of nasty heartless with nothing but your wooden sword and fucking beast while hollow bastion badass battle music plays in the background.
>Oogey boogey boss
>The sound effects are always on point that make you feel like your ps2 is a magic spell book
>Kairi, I really get off to the idea of my super cute crush absolutely needing me for to save her from ultimate darkness and oblivion.

Attached: 67-678587_throne-kingdom-hearts-king-sora-clipart.jpg (880x874, 400K)

Reading this post makes me happy that you enjoy this game so much. I only played a couple of the PS2 Spyro games growing up I believe. Are the remake versions of the games any good?

For me, it's Vagrant story

>GOAT OST
>GOAT aesthetics
>GOAT story
>GOAT characters
>Great gameplay system, can use a different combat style every playthrough

No game even comes close in my eyes

Skate 3

comfiest game to just spent an hour not doing anything in

>Trying to kick the can in the Apple Market into the trash
>Listening to music samples
>Cel shadan'
>Maverick bustan'
>Different arms to attach at will
>Tank controls because you're a goddamn robot, so act like it
>Practicing your can kicking skills on servbots and then kicking more cans

youtube.com/watch?v=PY2IpEvqZw0

>474855556
Crazy Taxi is the perfect arcade game, and I wish more driving games handled like it quite frankly.

Dungeon Keeper is another great pick. Solid sense of humor, and the aesthetics of the game's visuals and eerie soundscape tickle something deep in my lizard brain.

>474855852
Maybe you'll like this one more.
youtube.com/watch?v=mWXoIB0K6fs
>Localization never ever

Attached: Mega Man Legends.jpg (650x650, 114K)

One thing I like about japanese game tracks is that they're not afraid to get weird and experimental (maybe it's because their natural autism?) as a result they have alot of rare hidden gems scattered all over the gaming world.

I replay Sonic Mania every couple months and it's always incredibly fun and relaxing to play.

Holy fuck, This is track is dope. I fucking miss the atmospheric/futuristic vibe that 90's games used to have, so immersed now it's been replaced nu fag and trap bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=izEhU-dKwa0

These two games are peak comfy for me. I had so much fun trying to find all the legendary fish in the 2nd game, but overall I somehow still find the original game more comfy. I tried playing subnautica after playing these and just couldn’t get into it at all. I still can’t put my finger on why that is, but maybe it’s because I prefer realistic marine life over the alien like creatures in Subnautica.

Attached: 254ECCFF-ED0D-477A-9A49-D6481243DF70.png (220x309, 162K)

The combat in KH and KH2 catches a lot of flack, and I agree with many of those people's points, but honestly yeah it feels good to me to. It's junk food, fitting with your Kit Kat example. Not difficult, just flashy and comes with a satisfying crunch.

The opening CG animation was hype as Hell to experience on the PlayStation 2 so early, and the game's music tied it together.

The super glide and high jump are like ecstacy condensed into pressing a single button twice, and the sound effects are legitimately some of the best. I have massive respect for Square's creation of their own sound effects; they're very distinct because of it.

I haven't played, still waiting on the PC port to drop. I've also never played any of the PlayStation 2 Spyro games beyond the unfortunate "Enter the Dragonfly", which if it were my first impression of the series, would probably make me hate it.

Been in my backlog for years but looks like it could be a very early PlayStation 2 game with enhanced Tactics aesthetics. I've seriously got to get around to it, and Brave Fencer Musashi as well while I'm at it.

I didn't own a 360 until very late into its life-cycle. From the little I've played, I definitely get what you mean; especially as someone who's spent hours meandering around the THUG and American Wasteland games.

Bonus Thrasher: Skate & Destroy track:
youtube.com/watch?v=dM5sIBIRDLQ

Was just showing my gf loads of examples of Japanese artists last night. Daoko, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Tofubeats, The Pillows, etc.

I'm very fond of how they interpret Western genres in what could almost be considered a cultural vacuum. It's endearing in a lot of cases.

I'll always remember the standing ovation it got at reveal. Sonic Team must have had its blood pressure skyrocket.

>while listening to The Police
based. stewart copeland was the police

spyro sucks

I’m not sure but I’m pretty sure Enter The Dragonfly was the one I played. I remember it was the one where you could catch dragonflies using bubblebreath. There was also several other breath types. Why didn’t you like it?

I replayed the Spyro and crash games occasionally on my vita since I managed to get lucky with that huge fuck up they had a few years ago. It’s just not the same with the remakes. I love replaying mass effect though. Always so comfy.

youtube.com/watch?v=5t5lvsOp1aA
the tracks are nice. the way you progress in this game is great as well. great car sounds for a ps1 game. i play a lot of different racing games but i always comes back to this game once every year

Attached: 001.jpg (500x509, 80K)

>Orphen
My negro.

Yeah, it's definitely gotten a lot less spacey and atmospheric. It feels like people are almost afraid to let go and just create pretty soundscapes. You can't be on-edge all the time, though, so it gets kind of tiring after a while.

Refreshing callback (doesn't adhere to the theme, but it has a similar aesthetic to what I'm describing):
youtube.com/watch?v=SernBf9whR8

Light blue oceans and the absence of danger are top-tier comfy material. It's part of why I love fishing minigames so much (when they're implemented well) like in Dark Cloud 2.

>Terrible framerate, doubly so on the PlayStation 2 version
>Different breaths were a great gimmick on-paper, as was catching dragon flies
>Rushed development as it was a shameless cash-in by Universal, who had just treated Naughty Dog to finishing their third game in a hallway after booting them from their offices when informed they wouldn't be renewing their contract
>No concise art direction at all, everything feels very slapped together
>Poor use of color
>Models have textures where polygons should be, and are less expressive than their PlayStation counterparts
>Not a single new race introduced, everything being hastily copied from the PlayStation trilogy
>Only one hub world
>Levels were too large without having a good reason to be, and lacked the same flow as the original games
>Instead of levels feeling unique and experimental, with vision behind them, nearly every concept was reused from earlier games
>Sliding down the mountain in the monkey monastery level
>Clipping through transports used to take you to levels from the hub world
>Clipping through geometry in general
>The higher-quality characters only had their poly count increased with minimal consideration for their look

The whole thing looked and felt cheap from just about every angle, unfortunately. I 100%'d it just this year. Wanted to see how bad it really was after it made me nauseous as a kid

Half Life 2.
>was a poorfag kid
>Playstation 1, pentium II with software rendering and 56k until I was 12
>Suddenly dad surprises me with new computer
>Have like $20 in crumpled up little kid money
>See Half Life 2
>Loved Half Life 1 on the shitty computer
>Always stared at HL2 screenshots wishing I had any hope of playing it
>Puppy dog eye my asian mom into saying yes when cashier asks if she's okay buying M-rated game for me, bring it home
>Install that shit
>MFW GMan's face and then the train station and my computer had it maxed out at 120FPS (CRT)
Imagine playing fucking PS1 and Simcopter and doom and shit and then jumping to HL2 at max. Half Life 2 will always be special to me for that reason.

Attached: 1539723243563.gif (540x603, 266K)

Just looked it up, unfortunate it wasn't allowed to be kept up as it looks like they ran flawlessly on Vita.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite purple dragon on the Citadel.

I spent hours reading the codex when I first picked it up. It was a ton of fun to me to explore planets in the Mako, I only wish they expanded on it with more things to do on those planets and making resource extraction more manual than the planet scanning it was reduced to in 2.

I love how happy he was with it as well. Dude was pumping out these tracks on such a tight production schedule, at least with the first game, but still considers it some of his best work.

This post brought a smile to my face for some reason, glad you have a memory like that.

For me it's the original Crash Bandicoot trilogy, I'll always remember being a kid and sitting with my mom at 2 AM, trying to beat Crash 1 with its' insanely (back then) difficult and unforgiving levels. Now I live far from my parents so Crash is even more nostalgic to me, as basically my mom playing that trilogy got me into games.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 175K)

I still prefer the original Half-Life because of its overall level design and the fact that Opposing Forces exists. The only thing I didn't like about it was the spread of its shotgun.

Going from that to 120 FPS next-gen physics must have blown your fucking mind.

Shitty computer story time: Had a single-core Dell Inspiron I'd gotten from a good friend at the time's uncle. For the next few months, I thanked him every time I saw him and said how often I was using it.

I'd owned a PlayStation 2, but it was with this piece of shit I was able to begin emulating and start pirating loads of music. Doors were blown off of their hinges thanks to this piece of shit, and I'd spend hours tweaking configs and .ini files to try and squeeze just a little more performance out of System Shock 2 and Morrowind in 2007.

>Laptop yoga on top bunk with shit-ass PCMCIA network card to replace the busted one inside
>4GB so it wasn't a complete lost cause
>Laptop fell off the bunk and another friend's older brother hooked me up with Windows XP: Pirate Edition, complete with a black and orange theme and a Pirate Bay wallpaper
>Lasted like this until the HDD finally had a mechanical failure
>ywn message your friends again on AIM
>MediaMonkey will never be relevant again
>DivX, MegaUpload, and Rapidshare will never be relevant again

>Mom games
Man, I still remember playing CTR with my mom. I'd forgotten all about that.

My dad also piqued my interest in Oddworld, since that's what he would always play when I was asleep. I was always afraid of those games as a kid, but coming back to them as a teenager it's a very competitive favorite.

youtube.com/watch?v=tB6BxbX-VHM

Crash bandicoot 2 was the first console game I ever played. My dad borrowed his friend's playstation and ended up buying me one for christmas that year because I loved it so much.